Contest Of Marvels II Discussion Thread

Phaedrus45 said:
dang, did I miss saying Happy B-day to you, JH? I'm so sorry. I've been so busy with the sale of my old house, I've been neglecting doing anything for CoM II. On a good note, comics get mailed tomorrow (barring any unforseen problems) to both Blaze and Powder. I'll let everyone know what they are getting tomorrow. But, suffice it to say, Blaze gets the collection of X-Men comics I mentioned, including first appearance of Gambit, and Powder is receiving about 30 Ultimate X-Men comics.

Wicked...Thanks Phaed, I appreciate that. I probably shouldn't get anything since I am the Top Loser...:D

But 30 COMICS....that's more than enough for first prize....:up:

Thanks again Phaed for providing prizes to this thing....:)

Johnny Blaze said:
Sweet. Thanks again, Phaed, for the comics. I know I can safely say I speak for everyone when I say that we really appreciate you going out of your way to provide a prize for this thing. :up:

BTW Blaze I didn't forget you...I have pulled a 14 hour day today, and have to take the bus home so I will be getting home late. But I will try and get it done tonight.

Phaedrus45 said:
dang, did I miss saying Happy B-day to you, JH? I'm so sorry. I've been so busy with the sale of my old house, I've been neglecting doing anything for CoM II. On a good note, comics get mailed tomorrow (barring any unforseen problems) to both Blaze and Powder. I'll let everyone know what they are getting tomorrow. But, suffice it to say, Blaze gets the collection of X-Men comics I mentioned, including first appearance of Gambit, and Powder is receiving about 30 Ultimate X-Men comics.

No problem. It was nice birthday. Didn't do much, but got to spend quality time with the wife. Got my mom to watch the girls while my wife and I went out to eat. We then went to a craft store and I bought some art stuff, as I'm just getting back into it (professional pencils, sketch pads, workable fixatif, etc). While there I applied for a front end supervisor position. I then went back to mom's, she made me my blue cake (which she's made me every year since I was about 4, it's our thing). So we had it, then she and I got the twins (brother and sister) together and we played cards (spoons) until late (my little sister beat me,grrr), and then I went home and went to bed. Overall good night. But yeah, for not remembering to tell me happy birthday, your punishment is that you must send me a large batch of comics as well :p Just kidding :)

And yeah, definately thanks for making the prizes worthwhile. I still feel guilty about having to renig, but you've definately stepped it up for me and I really do appreciate it.

Oh yeah Happy Birthday you furry halfling...:O

POWdER-man said:
BTW Blaze I didn't forget you...I have pulled a 14 hour day today, and have to take the bus home so I will be getting home late. But I will try and get it done tonight.
:confused:

Oh, you mean the avy? Don't worry man, there's no need to rush things. Take as much time as you desire. :up:

Ok, comics went out today. Blaze is much cheaper to send to, as he's in the states. You will get yours in about 3 days, Priority Mail. Powder, since you live in those crazy Canadian provinces, you should receive yours in 5-7 days..probably next week around this time.

Ok, I'd love to get everyone's opinion on something. I'm wanting to start get going on the list, too...and, I wonder how people feel about having more than one of a particular character. For example, we had regular Sabretooth and Exiles Sabretooth. (For me, I would like to have one or the other; but, if you guys feel different, I want to know.) It's different with certain characters, like Spider-Man, because regular Spider-Man is different than Spidey 2099. BUt, do we want regular Spider-Man and THe Other Spider-Man???

Edit: I'm thinking, if two characters are so similiar to each other, like the two Sabretooths, then why bother. But, regular Storm is way different from Bloodstorm from Mutant X. I'd love to see both of them in the next tournament.

Well that depends...would we have room for a lot? I think we should start with last years list....remove the ones that we don't want, and find out how many that leaves us with.

Say for example we get 50 spots free, we have that many characters to add. After we have added the characters we want in for sure, than we see how many is left over to fill in. If there's still alot to fill in than we could consider different versions.

However if we only take out a small amount than we won't have many to fill in. Leaving IMO, different versions on the backburner.

BTW thanks for sending those out again Phaed....:up: I'm sorry I'm Canadian...:(

So anyways, if I can sign up for a maximum of....7 characters I will rejoin for this season.....20+ is just too much for me.....

Phaedrus45 said:
Ok, I'd love to get everyone's opinion on something. I'm wanting to start get going on the list, too...and, I wonder how people feel about having more than one of a particular character. For example, we had regular Sabretooth and Exiles Sabretooth. (For me, I would like to have one or the other; but, if you guys feel different, I want to know.) It's different with certain characters, like Spider-Man, because regular Spider-Man is different than Spidey 2099. BUt, do we want regular Spider-Man and THe Other Spider-Man???

Edit: I'm thinking, if two characters are so similiar to each other, like the two Sabretooths, then why bother. But, regular Storm is way different from Bloodstorm from Mutant X. I'd love to see both of them in the next tournament.

I'm eager to get the list together myself, but let's keep a one track mind here. I posed a few posts back that I think it'd be best to do one thing at a time, starting with making official calls on the things that were questionable last season (basically, the mentions on the previous pages). Once we get a definative list of those, then we can move on to the characters, starting with eliminations, and then figuring out who we want to add, alternate versions of characters, etc. Sound good?

Sounds good. I think many of us are in agreement or have a vague idea of some of the changes we might want to see. I'll have to go over those posts again and write down those thoughts we've had.

Anyway, other than that, things have been going steady around here. I quit my second job (long story, but it was an easy choice for me...I'm much happier, and didn't really need the job any longer), and I almost have the house I'm selling off all cleaned out. Right now, I'm beat. I'm going to sit down, watch some Gilmore Girls (yeah, that's right! Gilmore Girls....and, I don't want to hear any comments for this peanut gallery!!!), and just vegitate. It's a good thing we did take a break...I never knew selling a house was such a pain in the butt.

I just quit my job too and am starting a new job next monday. It's 3rd shift so it frees up some time now, so hopefully it'll free up some time to help get this thing running. It may be tough at first as I have to adapt to a 3rd shift sleeping schedual, but I'll adapt in time.

And Gilmore Girls!!!!! What's wrong with you?! Who likes watching a show about two girls in a small town and always visit Luke's Diner, who has a crush on Lorelai, but they dodged it for season after season before getting hooked up and then engaged. Luke better stop messing around now with his new daughter or he's gonna lose. And who would watch a stupid show about a young girl growing up dating a nice guy named Dean, then a rebel named Jess, then some rich snobby annoying guy named Logan who just freakin drives me nuts (she should end up with Dean, he was always my favorate). And then there's the wierd people like Suki and Jackson. They argue alot. And then Laine got married and had like, two or three weddings in one show, just wierd. The show sucks, and the fact that there's only one season left is reason enough for me to not start watching it now

Gilmore Girls... pfft ;)

Good luck with the new job JH. I absolutely loved working 3rd shift. The weather was nice and cool (it was the summer and would get around 100 by mid-afternoon). The boss was never around, so I got all my work done, but still had the freedom to do whatever I wanted.

It worked out pretty well for my dad too. He was at work while we slept, we were at school while he slept, and then everyone was around during the afternoon/evening. So we saw more of eachother. Hopefully it will work out for your family the same.

wiegeabo said:
Good luck with the new job JH. I absolutely loved working 3rd shift. The weather was nice and cool (it was the summer and would get around 100 by mid-afternoon). The boss was never around, so I got all my work done, but still had the freedom to do whatever I wanted.

It worked out pretty well for my dad too. He was at work while we slept, we were at school while he slept, and then everyone was around during the afternoon/evening. So we saw more of eachother. Hopefully it will work out for your family the same.

That's what I'm hoping. My girls aren't old enough to be in school yet, but that was definately a factor of my leaving second shift, preparation. I'm also torn though because I really want to start going to college, as I'm tired of struggling to go from one unlikable job to the next, but that means working full time third shift, sleeping another shift, and going to school the other shift. So it'd be hard, but I feel necessary to properly raise my family. They're some tough choices I'm wanting to make lately. I'm thinking of starting school just a class or two a semestor to see how it goes. I'm still debating it. If my wife were to get this promotion she's been trying for for several years, it'd be no problem. I'd just get small part time job and go to school full time and have plenty of time with my family, but it all depends if they give her the promotion. We're waiting patiently, but it's annoying. They all pretty much know that Holly'd be the best for the position, other people with more experience just keep showing up and sucking at the job though. Hopefully this current guy is getting the boot soon and they'll finally give it to her, as she's been their second of many choices every time. But yeah, if she ever gets it, then I can go to school and find a job I'd actually WANT to work. But until then, 3rd shift factory jobs it is.

Man, sorry about that. Just had to get a rant out I guess.

Hey, I understand. You should have heard my rants about the one job I didn't like...Oh, I so almost went into it again. :mad:

So, do you have an idea for a major? If you're going to be starting college from the beginning, definitely look into going to a community college first to get the required general classes out of the way. The classes at a good community college will count for the same classes at a full college, usually be easier, and will save you a ton of money. Especially if you're only going to take one or two classes during each semester.

If anything needs to be changed, please let your opinion be known. From what I've understood, here are some of the rules to next season:

1) To participate in Contest Of Marvels II, you must be willing to at least commit yourself to give each character on your list at least a short paragraph explaining why you believe he/she should advance into the next round versus their opponent for that week. (Such circumstances as to why you might not get up a debate are acceptable; such as, prior to debating, letting JH or Phaedrus know you will not be available for a select amount of days to participate due to whatever reason....or, maybe it's so lopsided of a match-up, you willingly conceed defeat.) Due to the length and time needed to commit to this contest, we will allow this season for those who wish to participate to have a select number of characters if that is their desire, with a minimum of 10 characters. (With 512 characters, I think this is a good number that nobody would be overwhelmed with this contest.)

2) That said, I want to make one point clear. Those who decide to select a limited amount of characters are eligible for the grand prize of the contest...but, any other prizes given out will only be eligible for those who commit to a full roster. (This is important, because prizes are determined by winning percentage...and, those contestants with only 10 characters would probably have a better winning percentage and take the "best record" of Round 1 & 2.) There are usually 6 prizes given out for this contest. Best record of Round 1, Worst Record of Round 1, Best Record of Round 2, Worst Record of Round 2, Grand Prize Winner, and Runner-Up Grand Prize.

3) Characters - (To be discussed at a later time, after all other rules are agreed upon)

4) Locations - Locations this year will be determined before hand. And, each location shall be placed in a given week before brackets are determined. This will ensure that everything is completely random. (I would like this to be Powderman's job, if he is willing to take it again this season. Anyone with suggestions, please PM Powder with locations you would like to see for CoMII, and Powder will let us know a date when he could have the list of locations ready. Powder will submit this list to JH for final approval. Also, if anyone can figure out the amount of weeks a season takes for completion, that would probably be a big help.)

5) Debating - Debating will be a little different this season. We will keep the same schedule of matches being posted on Friday. Debating can be done as soon as ALL MATCHES are posted. The first debate that is posted by you, though, cannot be a debate of your opponents debate. You must tell in at least a paragraph why you believe your charaacter can win his/her match. Afterwards, written sparing will be allowed to counter-debate your opponents argument. (Again, keep it civil. No name calling!!!) Only those who own characters may debate. (No help can be given by other people, in or out of the contest.) If a person has a question about your character or debate that seems pertinent, they can ask it. (i.e. If you mention a weapon or power your character is going to use, someone can question whether it's in that character's ability to have it.) Decisions about the validity of a debate will be determined by JH or Phaed if a problem arises. If the problem involves JH or Phaed's character, then the opposing person will make the decision. (i.e. If someone argues JH is incorrect in a point of his debate, it will be up to Phaed to make the decision whether it's allowed.) Finally, the major point that will be different this year: Once voting begins on Tuesday, debating is over. No matter how much you might want to make another point, you cannot. But, voters can make a brief statement (usually a sentence) saying why they might have voted for a character.

Also, a character can only use the resources that would normally be available to him/her. The Thing would be able to get information about a match from the Fantastic Four's data base, but Spider-Man wouldn't necessarily have that at his disposal.

6) Voting - One matter will change about voting this season. Still, once you make your decision, it will be final. But, if you vote and realize you mistakingly voted for the wrong character, I think it should be allowed for that person to change their vote. Since debating will officially end when voting begins, the chance someone can be swayed differently is greatly reduced, and I think it's fair to say we'll trust our voters to be honest when they say they made a mistake. Again, all votes must be based on reading all debates and coming to your own conclusion with all the information given. Please, do not vote for a character solely because you like them or don't like them. Also, make the same consideration for the participants in the contest.

7) Victory - A new rule this season to eliminate any confusion, any victory is not an argument for future victories.

wiegeabo said:
Hey, I understand. You should have heard my rants about the one job I didn't like...Oh, I so almost went into it again. :mad:

So, do you have an idea for a major? If you're going to be starting college from the beginning, definitely look into going to a community college first to get the required general classes out of the way. The classes at a good community college will count for the same classes at a full college, usually be easier, and will save you a ton of money. Especially if you're only going to take one or two classes during each semester.

I kinda want to be an art teacher for either elementary kids, or Jr High (moreso Jr High), so I'll be going for some type of 4 year program. I'll probably be going to Miami University in Oxford/Hamilton Ohio, as it's just up the street. There's a thing there called the Miami Plan that basically is suppose to help round out their students. It's a bunch of basic classes in all avenues, and being that it's been 7 years since I stepped foot in a class room, and after the car accident that cost me my sight for 2 weeks and my short term memory off and on, I need the refresher. It also helps that Miami is a highly regarded school for teachers to graduate from, and I think it's fairly affordable, though I haven't looked into it for a while.

But yeah, that's probably the route I'll be taking.

I think I can agree with all that you typed Phaed. Unless someone has a big problem with any of them, I think we can lay them down as law. One thing I do want to expand on though is the mention of resources. Your example of Thing using the FF database as a resource, but Spidey can't is fine, but I want to make a little closer line in regards to teammates. Thing cannot use a doohicky made by Reed unless it was specifically made for the Thing. If Reed's made some telepathic blocker, the Thing cannot go and use it because his teammate used it, it's Reed's resource not Thing's. Also, just because you're on a team, doesn't mean everything that team has is at your disposal. Example... Gambit cannot use Cerebro because he's not telepathic and he's never used Cerebro... but he could probably use a smaller, less effect, hand held cerebro unit, as those can be used by any X-Man (main X-men, not the offshoot X-Characters or students and such). Basically what I"m saying is, use common sense on resources and if you aren't sure about something, just ask. Comments questions?

I think we decided to outlaw all Infinity Gems, so I just wanted to mention that again.

We also have to make an official decision on the labling of characters and what versions we are using. Last season I put a "commonly known as" rule into play, and while I think it worked pretty good, I think it may be best to do something a little more detailed and definate. Some characters were hard to judge on the common rule, such as Drax who was evenly intellegent and dumb, so it's hard to call. I kinda like the idea Phaed threw out there of all characters being their Current version unless otherwise noted (and I get the feeling we'll have a lot of noted characters, so don't worry about if you don't like a current version). But do note that if a person is specified as a past version, he won't remember the things that's happened since. Example: If we want Juggernaut as the unstopable Cytorrak Juggernaut, back in his badguy days, he won't remember, nor will he have resources for, his X-Men days. He's the bad guy and that's where it stops.

Is everyone okay with this labling system instead of the "Commonly known as" rule?

Touching on characters got me thinking. I was wondering if we should think of this as a Secret Wars type of contest. Contestants know at the end of this super secret contest, that all things will revert back to normal. (Say, it's like having the Beyonder taking all these characters, telling them they have to fight.) One problem in having a character is knowing your good guy is at a disadvantage to bad guys (bad guys will kill if they have to...bad guys don't worry about casualties). Just a thought; I figure things will stay as they normally do; but, I wanted to put it out there.

I'm not sure about that. If people know it'll all be reverted back to normal when all is said and done, it'll be more likely that people are more willing to kill or sacrefice themselves or others, knowing they'll be fine in the end. I think it's a crucial part of a character if they revere life. It may put them at a disadvantage, but it's a part of their character. I wouldn't mind making a story/scenario out of this, but I don't think it's good to have them know all will be well in the end.

So just for the heck of it, what's some ideas about a storyline that would pull all these people together for a battle? Depending on what it is, we could have it influence some matches.

We could just have a general storyline where the winner is promised whatever they want.

Or the villains could be tempted with ultimate power. And the heroes warned that if they don't win, something cataclysmic will happen. This would let owners let loose with their characters, whether they be heroes or villains. Even if they hero/villain wouldn't normally go all out in a fight.

Could work. What if we have some nuetral supreme being getting ahold of the Infinity Gauntlet, but not being sure of what to do with the power. He likes the idea of a good game and thus, selects chosen characters (those too uber, or too lame to be in the tournament) to play his game. He asks them to choose their pawns, and they will place thier pawns in battles. The one who's pawn wins the competition will win the game, and thus, he or she will be granted his one wish. We players can pick our character (Thanos, Sentry, Mephisto, etc) that 'we want to be' and then maybe explain what they told each of our characters to make them fight. It could be fun, or it could be too complex.

Ideas?

huh, I just had this idea popped in my head. WHAT IF, at the end of the tourmanent, the winner fights the previous season's winner to become all time champ? So whoever wins season 2 fights Thanos.

Yeah we can elect each other being omnipotent beings....if so I call Gamemaster....It sounds a little like the DTL but it would only be a one shot deal at the beginning so nothing too complex.

There was also mention about a referee reviewing the matchups and calling something that is against the rules or wouldn't be allowed. It had merit.....since there was a couple things that slipped by...

I am fine in doing the locations. I will need some new refreshing ideas. Are we going to solely stay with Marvel this time around or are we going to move to other types of origins? I would appreciate some suggestions, so feel free to make any by PMing me. Even a couple will be helpful. I am assuming we're not using any past locations from last season.

I believe there will be 35 weeks, if playing with 32 characters per week for the first five rounds, and the remeaning rounds having less then 32 characters but still continuing with the same format.

POWdER-man said:
huh, I just had this idea popped in my head. WHAT IF, at the end of the tourmanent, the winner fights the previous season's winner to become all time champ? So whoever wins season 2 fights Thanos.

Maybe, if JB and whoever wins are up for it.

Yeah we can elect each other being omnipotent beings....if so I call Gamemaster....It sounds a little like the DTL but it would only be a one shot deal at the beginning so nothing too complex.

It was just a suggestion for fun. We can just lose the idea of known characters and just say that some greater beings are playing this game and that they are forcing the characters to battle for the fate of the universe or something.

There was also mention about a referee reviewing the matchups and calling something that is against the rules or wouldn't be allowed. It had merit.....since there was a couple things that slipped by...

If we have someone not participating at all who wanted to be strictly the ref. then I'm okay with it. Truthfully, I wouldn't want the job and I don't think I'd have time to keep up with it. But if you or someone else wants the full time job of reading the write ups looking for broken laws, I'm okay with it. Phaed?

I am fine in doing the locations. I will need some new refreshing ideas. Are we going to solely stay with Marvel this time around or are we going to move to other types of origins? I would appreciate some suggestions, so feel free to make any by PMing me. Even a couple will be helpful. I am assuming we're not using any past locations from last season.

I believe there will be 35 weeks, if playing with 32 characters per week for the first five rounds, and the remeaning rounds having less then 32 characters but still continuing with the same format.

I'm okay with repeating locations if everyone else is. If we want to get beyond the Marvel Universe that's fine, provided others are okay with it, but I suggest running those at least by Phaed and I so we can decide if the feel is alright for the tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"