Days of Future Past 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction - Part 4

I think the marketing was better overseas and the over 510 million international revenue proved it IMO.

I don't see a X-Men film earning over 300 million in North America. Alice 2/Turtles 2 will be a big competition for Apocalypse and summer 2016 could be really crowded.

Weren't both Alice and TMNT received relatively poorly. Especially compared to X-Men Days of Future Past?

Weren't both Alice and TMNT received relatively poorly. Especially compared to X-Men Days of Future Past?

Alice has a 77% on RT and grossed over $300 mill DOM with over $1 billion WW. TMNT was received very poorly on RT, but is doing much better than expected. Expect strong competition.

Turtles having better holds in consequent weekends just boggles the mind. I thought critics + general audiences hate this movie. Ugh

I think X-men really needs to move to a less crowded weekend release.

TMNT is huge with kids, which is the audience aimed being a nick movie and cartoon. Plus it has the nostalgia with adults.
Alice has a 77% on RT and grossed over $300 mill DOM with over $1 billion WW. TMNT was received very poorly on RT, but is doing much better than expected. Expect strong competition.
Alice is actually in the 50s on both critic and audience RT.

Much like Malificent, both are more family driven films. Parents and kids don't really check or care about the RT scores.

Last edited:
The thing about these X-Men movies is compare to the other blockbusters out there, they are less kid-friendly and I can't really label them as a "family" movie unlike with films like TMNT/Fairy tales movies. The tone of their films are also quite mature and their films rely less on special effects, action and set pieces unlike other big franchises like Transformers/Pirates.

As long as the upcoming X-Men films got the right amount of money that would satisfy the expectations of Fox and the producers, I think they're good (box-office wise).

Kids and families still go to X flicks but yeah, the X-Men films are obviously geared to a more adult audience then Disney fairy tales and Nick films. The marketing doesn't hit that demo as strong with X-Men either.

The next X film is gonna make bank regardless. Even if it gets a low RT. X-Men is moving into it's new prime with DOFP's success.

Last edited:
It will bank for sure, but another thing about the X-Men is.... for the so-so movies, they opened big but because of the quality of the film, like story-wise, they led to terrible legs.

Its not like Transformers or Pirates that even if you release a bunch of bad films in a row, they would still maintain legs.

Apocalypse has to be good, it just can't be an average film if they really want to do as well as Days of Future Past or if they want to really maintain the momentum. X3 outgrossed X2, but if it was a good film, I imagine that would have earned maybe $250 in the U.S. and worldwide, it could have been the 1st X-Men film to cross the $500 million mark.

Last edited:
Of course it should be good, every film should be. But I don't think that will effect it trying to beat out DOFP. Much like X2 and X3. I'm not worried about it, but we'll see. Singer hasn't made a poorly received X-Men film yet so the odds are for it.

Apocalypse will bring the hype. There's a reason they revealed that title so early, before DOFP was even released.

Last edited:
We'll see though. But the lack of the OT cast kinda worries me and with the introductions for the younger version of Cyclops, Jean and Storm, this would really look like another X-Men prequel.

The thing about these X-Men movies is compare to the other blockbusters out there, they are less kid-friendly and I can't really label them as a "family" movie unlike with films like TMNT/Fairy tales movies. The tone of their films are also quite mature and their films rely less on special effects, action and set pieces unlike other big franchises like Transformers/Pirates.

As long as the upcoming X-Men films got the right amount of money that would satisfy the expectations of Fox and the producers, I think they're good (box-office wise).

Good post. That's pretty much it. Character driven stories don't often do big numbers, that's usually the domain of the family-friendly or popcorn spectacle flicks. I wouldn't want X-Men to change to fit that mould just to earn big although I do want some big action set-pieces for Appcalypse

Good post. That's pretty much it. Character driven stories don't often do big numbers, that's usually the domain of the family-friendly or popcorn spectacle flicks. I wouldn't want X-Men to change to fit that mould just to earn big although I do want some big action set-pieces for Appcalypse

That's just not true. There are blockbusters/family friendly films that have been character driven and made bank.

DOFP is very much a 200m spectacle. X-Men doesn't have to sacrifice anything. It can have both, but it can't all of a sudden be King of everything in the theatres. This was a strong run and it had to work it's way back.

The audience here is still big for younger crowds, it's not avoiding them like the plague or anything. Just other films are more intended and marketed for them specifically, parents have a reason to be more cautious with X-Men. Fox won't release R rated X-Men or Wolverine flicks cause they know they go and it would kill their total. They want kids to watch and grow up with this stuff. Same with any studio spending this much money on Superhero franchises.

Last edited:
Reply to Cyclopswasright, Yeah, thats why I don't feel bad anymore when another film outgrosses DOFP or a X-Men movie. I'm just gonna stress myself making a big deal about it. If one film outgrosses DOFP or a movie that I like, it doesn't always mean that one film is better, its just mean more people bought tickets.

Last edited:
Well it's official Maleficent has outgrossed DOFP WW 750 to DOFP 745 Million

Reply to Cyclopswasright, Yeah, thats why I don't feel bad anymore when another film outgrosses DOFP or a X-Men movie. I'm just gonna stress myself making a big deal about it. If one film outgrosses DOFP or a movie that I like, it doesn't always mean that one film is better, its just mean more people bought tickets.

Think about it this way.

Is Avatar or Titanic the best movies ever? :huh:

TMNT is huge with kids, which is the audience aimed being a nick movie and cartoon. Plus it has the nostalgia with adults.

Alice is actually in the 50s on both critic and audience RT.

Much like Malificent, both are more family driven films. Parents and kids don't really check or care about the RT scores.

Yea, I checked the wrong Alice in Wonderland. Either way, the original point still stands in that Apocalypse will have stiff competition.

With the theater expansion, DoFP managed to rake in $468,623, giving it a cumulative domestic total of $233,383,151 which is less than one million dollars from TLS' total unadjusted box office revenue. Victory is very close. I hope the theater count rakes in a least another half a million over the next week!!! This is too close for FOX to give up.

With the theater expansion, DoFP managed to rake in $468,623, giving it a cumulative domestic total of $233,383,151 which is less than one million dollars from TLS' total unadjusted box office revenue. Victory is very close. I hope the theater count rakes in a least another half a million over the next week!!! This is too close for FOX to give up.

Counting the 4-day weekend. It raked in over $592,000 :woot:

Too close now!

Think about it this way.

Is Avatar or Titanic the best movies ever? :huh:

Titanic is one of my favorite movies ever!

And I was kinda upset when Avatar outgrossed it but I got over it quickly.

The thing is TASM2/Godzilla/Cap2 are already done with their theater run and when I saw that DOFP's is only less than 1 million away from outgrossing X3, I kinda had a panic attack! :csad: Because I think DOFP will finish its theater run very soon!

The thing is TASM2/Godzilla/Cap2 are already done with their theater run and when I saw that DOFP's is only less than 1 million away from outgrossing X3, I kinda had a panic attack! :csad: Because I think DOFP will finish its theater run very soon!
I think the dramatic theater expansion this last weekend demonstrates that Fox is interested in DoFP beating TLS. Thus, I don't think it'll end it's run without at least reaching this benchmark. I have faith it'll happen!

Well judging by the immense theater expansion to 794 im guessing FOX is indeed invested in beating the TLS total. Its really happenning guys... :)

...we re only 950k away right now which i guess means 2-3 more weekends. And I assume DOFP will have another 1-2 weekends before it ends its run in late September/early October.

F**K YEAH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"