DC Universe Online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some new details have emerged of DC Universe Online, the new PC and PS3 MMO in development at Sony Online Entertainment.

Jim Lee describes DC Universe as a "kick-ass hybrid between a traditional MMO and a first-person action console game".

You'll get to create your own superhero or villain, choosing their particular powers, according to the Edge article. So you'll decide whether to attack using fire or ice, for example, and move around using acrobatics or the power of flight. Other potential abilities mentioned in the article include speed-running and teleportation.

As with a traditional MMO your character will level up as you progress, and you'll develop your powers. When the game starts you might be able to fly, but only later will you learn how to pull off specific moves and attacks in mid-air.

Although you don't get to "be" any of the famous DC characters, you do get to interact with them. That might mean you end up saving Superman from being stabbed with a shard of kryptonite by Lex Luthor. Or, if you're a villain, you could cause carnage by chucking cars around downtown Metropolis, thereby encouraging the boy in blue to turn up and fight you.

Metropolis is one of two large shared environments revealed so far, the other being Gotham City. Unlike World of Warcraft, DC Universe will be comprised of a mix of these environments and separate instances. And while there will still be instances and raids, the emphasis will be on fast-paced action rather than grinding.

There will be PvP arenas, and you'll be able to make use of your superpowers and those of others in interesting ways. For example, someone might freeze your character in a block of ice, then pick up the block and chuck it at another player. In some instances, PvP fights will end up turning into giant PvE boss battles.

In the future, it's possible we could see models, environments and costumes from the game turning up in other DC Comics properties, and there are plans for plot crossovers. "We can tie-in future DC tentpole events and translate the stories for the gaming world, and have them occur simultaneously," said Lee. "The possibilities are numerous and very exciting."

DC Comics Universe is out next year.

EuroGamer.net

It seems like the game will be revealed at E3.

"Sony Online Entertainment, the company that brought you epic adventures in EverQuest and EverQuest II, has something new up its cape, um...we mean sleeve, at this year’s E3 Media and Business Summit!"

GameFocus.ca

yes you do...i respec'd and got all my points back. I went from staff to blaster and i have no points in staff

Go back and look. You still have the very first point in Staff. You cannot get rid of that. This game doesn't let you respect and default to NO weapon. It defaults you to your originally weapon choice.

You can never NOT have that unlocked once you start your character, no matter what you do.

Ho boy, this automated service sure is fun.

What in the blue hell is going on? Part 1 is back after being here then going away and now the forum as a whole is odd looking.

....We're not in Kansas anymore.

sub....this is the first salvo in the war against the machines

I just bought the game last night. Fun so far. What kind of End game content is there ?

I just bought the game last night. Fun so far. What kind of End game content is there ?

The Devs basically built the game around end game. There's all sorts of different types of PVP game modes to do, Alerts, Challenge Modes, Raids...

well looking at trophies I deleted some of my newer characters and added two new ones.....Hot Rod a fire tank speedster and Knight Kestrel....his back story is that Batman Inc became such a good idea that he introduced Robin Inc(every Batman needs a Robin). He grew up and became his own character ala Night Wing...pics will be up soon.

2011-01-27110535.jpg

I give you Knight Kestrel.....

It's near impossible for me to form a large group to go into Arkham. The most I get is 3... and that never works.

You guys on Crisis... what are your roles? I just created Tyghar on Crisis... I want to level him as a healer.

And yeah... he's one of those cat looking things.... BUT! I gave him an eye patch! BOOM!

I have a level 30 healer, a level 30 dpstroller and a level 7 archer

2011-01-27185121.jpg

got my first piece of Tier 1 Armor...Wings of Dr Fate

Well... I obviously should have rolled my main on Crisis. It's rather annoying not to have anyone to group with.

he's composed of sentient mystical energy

Mine is from the sun... a race of beings no one ever knew existed. He was on his way on a treck across the galaxy for his people when the rift in time future Lex made caused his system on his ship to short out. He fell to earth and he crashed into Metropolis bay.

He is humanoid but Alien. On his world (the sun) they look just like us, but on Earth they look like bright and glowing humans. Earth Heroes simply call him Mr. Apollo. Pics later.

nice...i bet he charges superman up pretty good

Is the reactor core pvp armor tier 1 and the one in left side of the wings tier 2 or does the rc armor not count?

I should be on (Crisis) here in a little while. Bizarre Foods is on and I can't not watch... more so it's in friggin' PA...

Is the reactor core pvp armor tier 1 and the one in left side of the wings tier 2 or does the rc armor not count?

the reactor core is pvp armor
right side is Tier 1
Left is Tier 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member