• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Arrow Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
9fSinMG.jpg

btKwvnd.jpg

EcSidej.jpg

U4ta8Jo.jpg

eYW4MA5.jpg

ITm0TSw.jpg

BsFIRuj.jpg

VhQzqJ5.jpg

HMGXeYg.jpg

KrV940S.jpg

Sometimes I really wonder if luis4u is Katie's publicist. It's the best-case scenario I can think of above...stalker.

I might be alone on this, but I feel like Laurel hasn't really "earned" becoming BC, at least not yet. I mean, Sara not only survived on Lian Yu with Oliver, but also trained with the League of Assassins, learned some forensics under Dr. Ivo, successfully escaped both relationships when they went sour, plus she had two awesome weapons and was even smart enough to wear a mask without Barry Allen giving her the idea first. Meanwhile, Laurel...has a law degree, can shoot a gun, took some self-defense lessons as a kid (which she seems to forget on a regular basis anyway), and only just started taking them again from a guy who used to be a vigilante. This is besides her not being in the best emotional state after all the drama surrounding her sister's death. I don't have anything against Laurel as a character (though she has her infuriating moments), but I in no way buy her as some badass-in-training like they're making her out to be.

Honestly, I would much prefer if Sara was the only Canary (and, y'know, lived) and Laurel was just another supporting character.

I might be alone on this, but I feel like Laurel hasn't really "earned" becoming BC, at least not yet. I mean, Sara not only survived on Lian Yu with Oliver, but also trained with the League of Assassins, learned some forensics under Dr. Ivo, successfully escaped both relationships when they went sour, plus she had two awesome weapons and was even smart enough to wear a mask without Barry Allen giving her the idea first. Meanwhile, Laurel...has a law degree, can shoot a gun, took some self-defense lessons as a kid (which she seems to forget on a regular basis anyway), and only just started taking them again from a guy who used to be a vigilante. This is besides her not being in the best emotional state after all the drama surrounding her sister's death. I don't have anything against Laurel as a character (though she has her infuriating moments), but I in no way buy her as some badass-in-training like they're making her out to be.

Honestly, I would much prefer if Sara was the only Canary (and, y'know, lived) and Laurel was just another supporting character.

Except they have said that she isn't going to become a badass BC justlikethat, it is a title that she is working up to. Just as Ollie is earning his role as a hero, so is Laurel. Not to mention that Laurels journey does not need to be exactly like her sisters to make her justifiable. Everyone knows that Sara was the superior Canary, but Laurel is going to do her best to live up to her legacy.

It's really no different from Roy becoming Red Arrow/Arsenal.

Except they have said that she isn't going to become a badass BC justlikethat, it is a title that she is working up to. Just as Ollie is earning his role as a hero, so is Laurel. Not to mention that Laurels journey does not need to be exactly like her sisters to make her justifiable. Everyone knows that Sara was the superior Canary, but Laurel is going to do her best to live up to her legacy.

It's really no different from Roy becoming Red Arrow/Arsenal.

The difference is that Roy was at least an experienced street fighter before he joined up with the Arrow, and we saw that he could take care of himself. There was potential to work off of. By contrast, Laurel has mostly worked in a comfortable office and, for all her occasional gunplay and martial-arts moves, she still has manged to get beaten up and/or captured with an embarrassing regularity. Even with those new boxing lessons, there's been very little to suggest that she could be on equal footing with the Arrow. I'm not saying it's impossible for her to get there, but it would take a lot more time and development than the writers have put into her so far.

The difference is that Roy was at least an experienced street fighter before he joined up with the Arrow, and we saw that he could take care of himself. There was potential to work off of. By contrast, Laurel has mostly worked in a comfortable office and, for all her occasional gunplay and martial-arts moves, she still has manged to get beaten up and/or captured with an embarrassing regularity. Even with those new boxing lessons, there's been very little to suggest that she could be on equal footing with the Arrow. I'm not saying it's impossible for her to get there, but it would take a lot more time and development than the writers have put into her so far.

Yes, and the writers said that she's not up there with Arrow yet and Stephen Amell said she's not on Sara's level just because she's putting on a costume. They also said that it's not everytime she makes a jump she'll land on her both feet and that her punches doesn't always "connect" (if I'm not mistaken, that's the exacly word they used).

So I think we can assume she's not being all badass just yet. What we know so far is that she's really driven by rage, is taking fighting lessons and asked for Wildcat to give her the tools she needed to make justice outside the courtroom. Also, judging by the mid-season finale, Arrow won't be around for a while, so that's probably what will speed her up into putting on a costume, but I assume, just like we have witnessed with Roy (not following Arrow when he jumped out of the window after Komodo, being taken down by Cupid, by Nyssa and some other moments), that she still have a lot to learn and will learn probably the hard way, making it a little more realistic (well, as realistic as it can get about someone suiting up and fighting crime).

THE TEAM DEALS WITH OLIVER’S DISAPPEARANCE — In the aftermath of Oliver’s (Stephen Amell) fight with Ra’s al Ghul (Matt Nable), Diggle (David Ramsey) and Arsenal (Colton Haynes) continue to protect the city in the Arrow’s absence. However, after three days without hearing from Oliver, they begin to fear the worst may have happened to their friend. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) refuses to believe that Oliver could be dead until Merlyn (John Barrowman) pays the team a surprise visit. Thea (Willa Holland) suspects there is something more behind Oliver’s disappearance and asks Merlyn for a favor. Meanwhile, Ray (Brandon Routh) tests a part of his new suit and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) takes up the mantle of the Black Canary. Glen Winter directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Erik Oleson (#310). Original airdate 1/21/2015.

You make some very good points. I say at the very least. It'll take a full season of training for Laurel to be a believable BC in my eyes. At most 2-3 seasons. Otherwise the show writer's screw up yet again.

Hmmm....so I've finally gotten a chance to catch up with both "Flash" and "Arrow", and though I'd like the direction they are taking with Laurel; I would like them to give her the 'cry'. I think both "Flash" and "Arrow" have allowed the perfect set up in these latest seasons.

Since "Flash" has very few rules then Laurel could conceivably get her power from an off-chance encounter with a "meta" human. That makes the most sense to me. She could cocoon like Barry for a while and come out with the "cry" after all is said and done.

idk...for my two cents...I want any real BC to have the "cry". She can't truly be a real canary without that.

Hmmm....so I've finally gotten a chance to catch up with both "Flash" and "Arrow", and though I'd like the direction they are taking with Laurel; I would like them to give her the 'cry'. I think both "Flash" and "Arrow" have allowed the perfect set up in these latest seasons.

Since "Flash" has very few rules then Laurel could conceivably get her power from an off-chance encounter with a "meta" human. That makes the most sense to me. She could cocoon like Barry for a while and come out with the "cry" after all is said and done.

idk...for my two cents...I want any real BC to have the "cry". She can't truly be a real canary without that.

I think everyone would be fine with Laurel in a coma for 9 months. :oldrazz: :funny:

I was never on the Sara bandwagon. I really don't get why some yearn for her to come back.

Meh...

I was never on the Sara bandwagon. I really don't get why some yearn for her to come back.

Meh...

I think its because she is a male character in a female's body. This makes her easier to identify with for some than an actual female character.

I think its because she is a male character in a female's body. This makes her easier to identify with for some than an actual female character.

It could just be that some fans find Sara to be a much more likeable character then Laurel.

It could just be that some fans find Sara to be a much more likeable character then Laurel.

Black Canary has always been a legacy character. So Laurel was always going to be second. Changing the first canary to her sister for the show (instead of her mother) makes sense.

Or they could have let the show be it's own thing. It's already an elseworld take.

Here, here. More likeable, more interesting, more believable as a badass, etc.

But what can you do? I just hope we get a Sara/Nyssa origin episode sometime in the future.

Meh...

She hit rock bottom and picked herself back up. She fought for justice and wouldn’t abandon people to The Huntress. She literally didn’t go charging in when Slade told her about the Arrow. She took time to figure it out and make sure she was sure. And then she figured out the Canary’s identity all on her own. This woman is seriously too good for Starling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"