Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread - Part 4

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by Thread Manager, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

I'd agree that she's better than Willa and EBR; maybe a tad better than Colton. I think she is on par with Stephen and David, though. Both of those guys are really good actors; it's just, like Laurel, a lot of the time they're so stoic they don't get to shine through in their roles (see Oliver's really emotional scenes i.e. Moira's death, the S1 finale, or his goodbye to William for how great of an actor SA really is).

2. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It's still up. Though I think it is part of the full video I posted above.

Katie w/The PUnisher yet again
    [​IMG]

3. Fincher Coming Undone

I wasn't there for the conversation, but as written that sounds like a bit of a leap. The choices the writers had Laurel make were a big part of why I thought she was just all right, as was her being a legacy character following my favorite, but I also thought Cassidy didn't handle the emotional turmoil elements of the character well and that exacerbated the writing. She was better at the beginning and the end when Laurel was relaxed, confident, and generally happy because that played more to Katie's strengths.

I consider Willa one of the better actors on the show. One thing I like about her performance is that she's Moira's daughter; she's more relaxed and warm, but she has some of the same regal bearing, and it gives her a sense of emotional maturity that her elders often lack.

4. Boy Scout Registered

Yeah, I like Cassidy, but I don't think she's much better than any of her former co-stars. Ramsey is probably the best of the bunch.

5. Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

Well, to each their own; I thought Cassidy did well with the role, as did my family. She just didn't have great material to work with, and therein lies the problem, not her performance.

I'll agree that Willa adds regality and uppity attitude (not in a bad way) to her performance, in honor of Moira, and it's very effective. She does deserve credit for her performances, but sometimes she feels a little one-note (her angry-voice is always exactly the same: enunciate the last two words of her sentence with a snarl). But overall, yes, she's very good.

I'd thought of another way Laurel could've been used more effectively (and this is just my opinion); I'm eager to see what thoughts other fans have (looking at you especially, Primal Slayer and Slade Wilson). My thought is, when Laurel revived Sara, rather than have Sara join LOT and Laurel remain behind, have it be the reverse: Laurel joins the LOT crew, and Sara takes her place on Arrow–but before leaving, Laurel inspires Sara to take up the White Canary banner.

Here's why I have this opinion: first of all, it saves Laurel's life. Secondly, I'd dare Guggenheim to kill off his precious pet Sara. My guess would be, Lance would die in Laurel's place in this scenario. It would serve as motivation for Sara and Oliver the rest of the season, and then when Laurel returned in the season finale of LOT, she'd have the same reaction that Sara had when she talked to Lance and found out about Laurel in the season finale. And then, when she demands Rip take them back (like Sara did when she wanted to save Laurel), Rip would reveal the truth: he knew that it would be Laurel who died at Damien Darhk's hand in 2016, so he took her away to prevent that. It's as effective, at least, as the revelation to Sara in the season finale, and it allows Laurel and Sara to both survive. And then, Laurel could leave the LOT crew and return to Arrow; Sara could remain on the show or leave like Thea and Diggle did. Anyway, it's not a complete outline like Primal Slayer's idea, but it's a start (and I think the Laurel/Rip conversation when he reveals that he saved her because he knew she'd die would be way more emotional than the similar reveal to Sara).

6. Paradox1 Registered

On this show I don't think any of the actors are great, they are all serviceable outside of the two British actors who are great. There are two kinds of actors, the character actor who becomes a chameleon Daniel Day Lewis for instance. Then there are the actors who play a different version of themselves like Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis. However Cassidy was pretty good in this animated movie which surprised me because she did chameleon work that I didn't know she had in her.

7. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

Thanks.

8. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Majority of another con in Texas she did, very enjoyable to watch. She was totally laid back and had a blast. You can tell that she REALLY loves the Flarrowverse. Just gimmie a BoP spin off!

9. Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

Hmm, so with Injustice 2 officially announced today...maybe that is what she's mocapping for!

10. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Why would they mo-cap her though? They havent done it for any of characters I believe. And she is supposed to play a big role in whatever game she is doing.

11. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

Yeah, it doesn't make sense that they would mo-cap her, especially out of costume. Heck, I don't even think they used Amell's body for the first game, just his voice.

12. Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

I dunno; it was a thought, anyway. Either way, it's cool she's going to be in a game, and I'll just hope Black Canary will be in Injustice 2 whether Cassidy is used or not.

13. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

In the Katies con video, she said something to the tune of "stay tuned" as far as her reappearing in the Flarrowverse. Now if she was serious...that's another question since she was doing a lot of joking and hoping.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#63 Primal Slayer, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  14. Paradox1 Registered

Black Siren as a big bad on Arrow is a nice idea for sure, if it leads to a redemption arc that would be awesome.

15. Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

I wouldn't trust MG to write it.

16. Paradox1 Registered

Ohh of course not he'd find a way to screw it up someway.

17. Guard82 Registered

It looks like Katie was having a blast at the con. :)

18. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

19. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

From Pariscon: So Katie and Caity are moving in together (not sure why she/Danielle are splitting up) and Katie said that she felt her character got a full arc so she felt complete and and ok with being the one who died.

Apparently SA/EBR might have found out before Katie? that she was going to die.

20. Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

I could understand SA needing to know but EBR was barely in that episode so I'm not sure why she'd need to know (other than maybe "it's not you, so don't worry").

21. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

Her arc should not have ended so soon. There was so much more for her to do and places to go with her character. The fact that she is dead but we still have Quentin and Donna is ridiculous.

22. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Yeah she still had plenty of story to tell, but with the likes of Malcolm Merlyn running around for 20 episodes each season, who cares about that?

I really would love to see KC/EBR in a comedy together or something just lighter in general.
    [​IMG]

23. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

Even though he doesn't develop or have an arc, I enjoy Merlyn's scenes. Barrowman is one of the better actors on the show. Felicity and Donna are much bigger weak-points for the show than Merlyn is IMO. I don't see the point of Quentin anymore either, even though I have been a fan of him since season 1.

#73 Slade W, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  24. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Quentins role seems especially useless now, didn't he quit the police force?

25. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

If I remember correctly, he didn't quit but was forced to leave because he was aware of Black Canary's identity, but did not reveal it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.