Arrow Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ well.... Just a few alterations to Ruby and you have a perfect canary. But since we already have a kickass canary I'm fine with whatever.

The Canary is not a *****, so that won't really work either. Caity Lotz is a real life badass that can do back flips off walls and jump across buildings, Katie Cassidy can never compete with her skills, so they might as well give up on that.

Here's my opinion on her that I wrote at another forum. I spaced it out like that because it's all from different posts.

For God sake, please kill off Laurel. She's not only useless, but she acts like a child. It's like the writer wants us to hate her character for all the wrong reasons on purpose. It's sucks because Katie Cassidy's acting was pretty strong during the court scenes, even with the clunky dialogue.

Pathetic is an understatement. All she does is wallow in self pity in the most immature of ways. She can still be salvaged once all the characters around her (especially Ollie) stop coddling her and actually give her tough love.

It's funny that Thea, a character who got a lot of flack last season, managed to actually becoming a better and more interesting character than Laurel has (though I'm curious where they'll take Thea now that the trial is done). It's like they took the worst aspects of Thea and decided to give it to Laurel.

It's as if the writers feel the need to have at least one whiny ***** on the show at all times. When it wasn't Thea last season, it was island Ollie haha. It's starting to become unfair for Katie Cassidy, who should be cursing all the writers out at this point over how her character has been written.

She should be screaming at the writers for how she's been written this season.

Thing is, even if they get rid of Laurel.. they'll write one of the other female characters to behave the same way as her. There has to be the token drama queen on the CW soaps. Pretty sure a significant portion of their CW audience watches Arrow for relationship drama.

Thing is, even if they get rid of Laurel.. they'll write one of the other female characters to behave the same way as her. There has to be the token drama queen on the CW soaps. Pretty sure a significant portion of their CW audience watches Arrow for relationship drama.

This is true. My hope is that they actually hook Felicity and Oliver up for a few eps and she gets all that angst while Laurel gets a better storyline. It would be poetic justice. :woot:

... In which she seems to have been replaced by Felicity, Sara, and Isabelle in that department. :funny:

I hope they re-cast Laurel for S3. It's their best bet.

Cassidy was simply miscast in the role. She doesn't have the range for a role like this. Not that acting is a big deal on the CW, but even by the low standards of the network.. her performance is still bad.

I don't think Cassidy is the problem though. She's relatively strong in the situations in which she does get to act more, like the courtroom scenes. I think the problem is more has not had the opportunities to showcase significant acting skill.

I don't know why, but I'm kind of attached to Laurel. I don't want her to not be a part of the show. It's strange. I don't feel one way or the other about her (or the actress), but I know I'd feel kind of bummed out if she left of was killed.

She's entertaining at the expense of the show.

It's like watching a Lindsay Lohan-esque trainwreck every week. I'm sure a lot of that was intentional by the CW network and the producers.

They are writing her to elicit strong responses from the viewers. Even though most of it is negative, it elicits responses and discussions.

So according to someone that's seen Ep 8 "The Scientist" Laurel is not in it. So that's the second episode that the lead female is not in. At that rate Sara a guest character has been in more eps than her this season.

Supposedly her next "arc" starts in episode 9. Lets cross our fingers that it's not just more drugs. :whatever:

Last edited:
the problem with Laurel is just bad writing to market teenage girls,notice there were no kill off Laurel threads during season 1. plus she look like the BC when she took three body guards in season 1.

^it was one guy she took out, not a body guard, just a rich boy. I could do that, doesn't make me Arrow.

I didn't like Laurel in season 1, she got progressively worse and adds nothing to the show. So she can disappear forever and it wouldn't make a difference.

She's definitely not the Black Canary that anyone wants to see. Who wants to see a hero be a whiny, self pitying drug addict? I don't. They had already written storylines for her character and chose to give those storylines to another actress (one that is much more physically able to portray the Black Canary).

And the fact that so far this season she's not in 2 out of 8 episodes is saying something

Last edited:
^it was one guy she took out, not a body guard, just a rich boy. I could do that, doesn't make me Arrow.

She beat the crap out of two thugs in ep 13 though. They should have built on that instead of their current convoluted storyline.

^ mhmmm.... Only reason I really remember that episode is because ollie went total punisher when he assaulted that building to save laurel, so good. Heard she isn't in episode 8, mhmm.

I didn't like Laurel in season 1, she got progressively worse and adds nothing to the show. So she can disappear forever and it wouldn't make a difference.

She's definitely not the Black Canary that anyone wants to see. Who wants to see a hero be a whiny, self pitying drug addict? I don't. They had already written storylines for her character and chose to give those storylines to another actress (one that is much more physically able to portray the Black Canary).

And the fact that so far this season she's not in 2 out of 8 episodes is saying something
its called character development,the same thing happened with Thea

BC in the comics is always going through some kind of depression

It's not called character development. It is called poor writing and turning a decent character from season 1 into a complete drama queen just for the sake of drama. It would be character development if it was actually good. But it is not.

It's not character development, because it shouldn't take 30 plus episodes to make a lead character vital to the show. If she left and was never heard from again it wouldn't impact the show at all.

The fact that they can remove her from two episodes shows how unimportant she is to the story.

Last edited:
I don't think Laurel is a lost cause. Thea used to be much more annoying than she was, but now most of us are okay with her.

I don't think Laurel is a lost cause. Thea used to be much more annoying than she was, but now most of us are okay with her.

Thea at least had the excuse of being a hormonal teenager. She also didn't lead a manhunt or tried to get someone's parent on death row.

Not surprised to hear that Dinah Laurel will not be in one of the Barry Allen episodes. I can see her either leaving or dying by season's end.

Thea at least had the excuse of being a hormonal teenager.

That's true. But she was still very annoying, not to mention insensitive, vindictive, and rude. Teenager or not, she wasn't a very likable character.

She also didn't lead a manhunt...
Okay, yeah, that was stupid.

...or tried to get someone's parent on death row.

That's not fair. She was only doing her job. She didn't have a choice in the matter.

That's not fair. She was only doing her job. She didn't have a choice in the matter.

She did. She could have said no. Might that have cost her her job? Who knows. But it's still better than being responsible to get someone's mother killed when she succeeds.

She did. She could have said no.

Actually, no, she couldn't have. That was made very clear.

Might that have cost her her job? Who knows. But it's still better than being responsible to get someone's mother killed when she succeeds.

Again, you're not being fair. It's easy to say that she should've just said no or quit her job, but it's not that cut and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"