Arrow Dinah Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's very simple, when you doing your job can lead to your best friend's mother's death. Can't lawyers recuse themselves from a case when there's a conflict of interests? Laurel had too much history with the Queens. She shouldn't even have been on the case in the first place. Even Moira's lawyer said that.

For me it's very simple, when you doing your job can lead to your best friend's mother's death. Can't lawyers recuse themselves from a case when there's a conflict of interests? Laurel had too much history with the Queens. She shouldn't even have been on the case in the first place. Even Moira's lawyer said that.

I believe Laurel herself acknowledged that her involvement with the case was a conflict of interest. However, she wasn't allowed to drop it. She would have if she could have. It was obvious that being involved was killing her.

You can't even serve on the jury if you know anyone involved in the case, so you certainty cannot be on the prosecution team. Even cops are removed from the case if they know the victim. So she would not have lost her job since "conflict of interest" is rule in the legal system. Her being the case could've ruined the whole thing for the DA's office. So it was stupid of them to even ask her.

"An attorney who does not abide by the rule of not representing clients with conflicting interests and does not obtain written consent from them when undertaking representation of both parties may face disciplinary action. The laws vary by state but generally the attorney may be required to attend a disciplinary hearing, where the attorney might be denied legal fees for the case and may even face suspension from the practice or law or disbarment."

She and the Assistant DA did not get permission since they surprised the Queens with that news at the jail. So Laurel and the ADA should have lost their jobs for that, not for Laurel following the rules and refusing.

The writers for some reason thought it was a good idea for drama instead of dumb idea that makes no sense. And it was all made pointless in the long run anyway. So to me it really looks they don't care about Laurel's character. The more they make people hate her the harder it is going to be to bring her back. That's what happened to Andrea on the Walking Dead, she just kept making dumb and pointless decisions until they just had to kill her off.

Last edited:
The whole court aspect of things was just crap.

Ran the while Laurel prosecuting Moira with her past family involvement past some people I'm friends with that work at the State Bar association where I live...

Surprisingly enough, at least here, she wouldn't be forced to recuse herself. Though I did get the impression thst she would be under more scrutiny from what they were saying. If conduct was found unbecoming in any way, could lead to issues.

Didn't think to ask how much trouble (if any) she'd be in for going to Moira in the prison and talking to Moira about the DA's bit of surprise evidence...

Of course, I'm figuring that things like this may well vary from state to state...

You can't even serve on the jury if you know anyone involved in the case, so you certainty cannot be on the prosecution team. Even cops are removed from the case if they know the victim. So she would not have lost her job since "conflict of interest" is rule in the legal system. Her being the case could've ruined the whole thing for the DA's office. So it was stupid of them to even ask her.

She and the Assistant DA did not get permission since they surprised the Queens with that news at the jail. So Laurel and the ADA should have lost their jobs for that, not for Laurel following the rules and refusing.

The writers for some reason thought it was a good idea for drama instead of dumb idea that makes no sense. And it was all made pointless in the long run anyway. So to me it really looks they don't care about Laurel's character. The more they make people hate her the harder it is going to be to bring her back. That's what happened to Andrea on the Walking Dead, she just kept making dumb and pointless decisions until they just had to kill her off.

So basically, none of that was her fault.

It was her fault, since she didn't ask to be removed from the case. She would not have lost her job from doing that. She chose to stay on the case and prosecute her friends mother without even warning him before hand.

It's still her fault for not having the courage to just say no and recuse herself, because she can't in good conscious send her friend's mother to her death. No one was holding a gun to her head. Laurel barely even tried to fight the District Attorney's decision. She just made a face like a deer caught in the headlights.

It was her fault, since she didn't ask to be removed from the case.

How do you know that?

When Oliver confronted her about it, she straight up said that she didn't have the option of turning down the cases she's assigned. She probably did ask, but was denied.

She would not have lost her job from doing that.

But there obviously would have been some pretty serious repercussions, because there's no way she would have stayed on otherwise.

She chose to stay on the case and prosecute her friends mother without even warning him before hand.

How easy do you think it is to tell your best friend that you might be responsible for sending his mother to jail/death row?

It's still her fault for not having the courage to just say no and recuse herself, because she can't in good conscious send her fiend's mother to her death.

Courage has nothing to do with it. She could not have refused. If she could have, do you honestly believe she wouldn't have?

Laurel barely even tried to fight the District Attorney's decision. She just made a face like a deer caught in the headlights.

Because Laurel, of all people, can fight the District Attorney.

It seems fairly likely that Malcolm is pulling the strings in the DA's office. He wanted Laurel on the case to mess with her and Oliver's minds. He most likely instructed his person there to do whatever it took to get Laurel on the case. That might be how the plea bargain came about. "If you join the case I will agree to a plea bargain, you know if it goes to trial Moira will end up on death row. how will your friend Oliver feel about that?" Then she gets blamed for losing a case that any lawyer should win in front of an honest jury.

^ I don't think it's worth your effort to defend laurel, pretty much every one has made up their mind when it comes to her. I like the Katie Cassidy but not laurel.

Courage has nothing to do with it. She could not have refused. If she could have, do you honestly believe she wouldn't have?

Her judgment and decision making has already been questionable since the new Season started. So yeah, I say she was too dumb to not realize that she could simply recuse herself from the case. I acknowledge that it was a good thing on her part, that she tried to avoid the death penalty for Moira. But the moment Moira decided to fight in court, Laurel should have jumped ship, because there was nothing left she could do for her.

It's a rule that she shouldn't be on the case, so she didn't even have to ask. The rule I posted above pretty much means both her and the ADA should be disbarred or be facing disciplinary action for not getting permission from the Queens before hand for her to even be on the case.

As a friend, she should've told Oliver what was going on, not surprising him at the jail like that. If she couldn't separate her feelings for Oliver and his family with her job, that means she should not have been on the case in the first place. That's exactly what "Conflict of Interest" means.

It was the writers fault, I've admitted that and Laurel is suffering because the writers appear to not care about writing better storylines for her. If I was Katie Cassidy I'd want to be let go from the show so I could get other work on shows that will treat me better. Laurel's pretty much a waste of space on this show. They already removed her from 2 episodes and story gets along fine without her.

Might as well put Dinah Laurel in the Flash spinoff.

Might as well put Dinah Laurel in the Flash spinoff.
nah, just send her to bludhaven, and never have her come back. Or just don't put her in any more episodes, heck, people hardly even notice when she's not even in an episode anymore, they could write her out completely and the GA would probably take the rest of the season to notice.

Her judgment and decision making has already been questionable since the new Season started.

Nothing about any of the decisions she made had anything to do with Moira.

So yeah, I say she was too dumb to not realize that she could simply recuse herself from the case.

You have plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the character. This isn't one of them.

But the moment Moira decided to fight in court, Laurel should have jumped ship, because there was nothing left she could do for her.

And she would have if she could have.

It's a rule that she shouldn't be on the case, so she didn't even have to ask. The rule I posted above...

Does absolutely nothing for your argument. Laurel isn't the one to blame. There is absolutely no reason why she wouldn't have brought up her personal connection to the Queens as a reason why she shouldn't be on the prosecution team. Her superiors obviously just didn't care.

As a friend, she should've told Oliver what was going on, not surprising him at the jail like that.

How easy do you think it is to tell your best friend that you might be responsible for sending his mother to jail/death row?

If she couldn't separate her feelings for Oliver and his family with her job, that means she should not have been on the case in the first place. That's exactly what "Conflict of Interest" means.

Yes, thank you, I know what it means. But again: she did not have a choice. She straight up said that turning down the assignment wasn't an option.

It was the writers fault...

Exactly. The whole thing was a gigantic mess. Realistically speaking, her involvement made no sense, and did nothing but make people hate Laurel even more than they already did.

That's why they should've just used Bonnie King instead of Dinah and introduce Dinah later down.

They really should have done the Mother/Daughter 'Black Canary' legacy thing.

They took too many liberties with Dinah on Arrow. She shouldn't have been a lawyer. We didn't need an obvious Rachel Dawes homage.

And Katie was obviously miscast.

What did she do in the comics? What was her job? She was a reporter on SV, and that was pretty lame.

I'm reading here she had a day job as a Florist.

Yeah she was a florist. Huntress was a school teacher. Very normal jobs. Now BC was just part of a gov. squad.

The florist job was more of a mild-mannered cover.

Dinah Laurel's first job was always a superhero. She became BC at 19, and trained prior to that under the guidance of her mother's associate Ted Grant (Wildcat).

I think the best thing to do with laurel is to send her down to Gotham as a peace offering to the Joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"