Discussion: Racism - Part 4

That should be a crime, halving the value of a house merely because of who owns it.
While proving something like this would seem to be difficult, if proven, I'm guessing it "is" a crime.

Reactions: B
A really bad attempt at education. Not one of those kids experienced anything remotely like slavery. If they did then the teacher would be guilty of some serious crimes.

Which is the inevitable conclusion of casually brushing off Biblical passages regarding slavery without ever actually engaging in the historical context of the cultures being addressed. The refusal of the American church to actually educate themselves on the background of their sacred text and a broader refusal to critically engage with it at all is the root of so many cultural problems here.

Out of morbid curiosity I've started paying attention to the podcast of the pastor from my childhood church. He was asked how we are supposed to deal with the fact that so many theologians we studied in that church owned slaves & he basically said, sure slavery is bad, but a lot of these theologians took the slaves that no one wanted who had disabilities or were handicapped so it was actually nice of them.

Every time I start to question "was my upbringing in Alabama really that racist?" I'm reminded that, yes, it 100% was.

I agree entirely.

How can it be legal to rob someone of 200k simply because they're black?
There have been a number of these racist home valuation stories in the media in recent years that have been spotlighted thanks to social media.

It is this kind of racist practices that continue to make it hard for black people to gain generational wealth and thus advance.

I agree entirely.

How can it be legal to rob someone of 200k simply because they're black?
The Feds require mortgage and refi applicants to input their race. I refi’d last year and had to input my race. It is illegal to discriminate on loans. I hope this lady gets justice. It should also be illegal to have to input your race on loans. You can see how good intentions can be bastardized. Appraisers don’t go inside homes. There is no way an appraiser would know the applicants race as they don’t meet face to face. Sounds like the bank was doing something fishy and may have colluded with the appraisers to undervalue her home worth for a refi loan.

The Feds require mortgage and refi applicants to input their race. I refi’d last year and had to input my race. It is illegal to discriminate on loans. I hope this lady gets justice. It should also be illegal to have to input your race on loans. You can see how good intentions can be bastardized. Appraisers don’t go inside homes. There is no way an appraiser would know the applicants race as they don’t meet face to face. Sounds like the bank was doing something fishy and may have colluded with the appraisers to undervalue her home worth for a refi loan.

Maybe it's just SoCal, but I recently refi'ed my home and the appraiser absolutely comes into the house. They check carbon monoxide/smoke detectors, general condition, etc.

Might differ by State then. In TN, TX, and CO (I have/had experience buying/selling there) the appraiser MIGHT do a drive by. In reality, they just input the address and their program shoots out a number based on comps in the area. It’s really easy to become a licensed appraiser. Now, if there is a dispute on that value, they may physically come out. When selling my last home, I had to submit all upgrades to the appraiser so that they didn’t lowball me based on lesser comps. I redid the kitchen and flooring so they would have had no way of knowing I upgraded.

Might differ by State then. In TN, TX, and CO (I have/had experience buying/selling there) the appraiser MIGHT do a drive by. In reality, they just input the address and their program shoots out a number based on comps in the area. It’s really easy to become a licensed appraiser. Now, if there is a dispute on that value, they may physically come out. When selling my last home, I had to submit all upgrades to the appraiser so that they didn’t lowball me based on lesser comps. I redid the kitchen and flooring so they would have had no way of knowing I upgraded.

In California, most of the value is in the property anyway, but, yeah, they're pretty much sticklers and make sure everything is up to code. I had to buy a CO detector a few years back after they started requiring them. They also had me get an optical heat detector because the old one was within 8 feet or something of a vent. They go over it with a fine tooth comb, but eliminating the deduction was BS I hope it gets reversed.

In California, most of the value is in the property anyway, but, yeah, they're pretty much sticklers and make sure everything is up to code. I had to buy a CO detector a few years back after they started requiring them. They also had me get an optical heat detector because the old one was within 8 feet or something of a vent. They go over it with a fine tooth comb, but eliminating the deduction was BS I hope it gets reversed.

Are you talking about an inspector or an appraiser? I’m confused now.

Are you talking about an inspector or an appraiser? I’m confused now.
Appraiser. The inspector was worse. I nicknamed him "Red Tag Mike". The appraiser insisted on code or he would list it on the appraisal; which would effectively sink the loan. That wasn't an issue for me because I want my house to be up to code. I had my heater replaced and had to pull a permit. We're "different" InCali I guess......

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"