The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reply with the exact amount that you think the final world-wide box office total will be. The closest without going over the total gross will receive a special surprise! :cwink:
In case of a tie, the person that posted first will be the winner. Good luck!

It really is. It's one of those movies where I wish i could travel back in time and experience it in the cinema when it first came out. Just imagine the crowd reaction at the chest burster scene when no one knew anything about it prior to watching it. Would have been such a great thing to be a part of. I think that is one big negative about the internet age. You never really go into a movie completely blind these days. Back then there was no spoilers, no leaks, not even trailers unless you saw them at the cinema whilst watching another film. Takes away some of the magic.

I see people say it's boring and it just baffles me. It's like they don't appreciate characterisation or suspense.

Yes it would have been great! A true classic moment in the history of cinema.

I was too young at the time. I actually read the Mad magazine satire before I saw the movie.

Can't quote from the deadthread, but Morningstar, you were speculating on what it was like to be in the audience for the initial run of Alien:

I was there, at age 13, and it was truly a turning point in sci-fi cinema. I dragged my parents along, telling them it was "kinda like Star Wars," so they wouldn't question the R rating. When it was all said and done, my mom came out of there pale and shaken and said, "WHY did you take us to see this movie...?!?!?" My dad said something to the effect that it was way over my age level and I shouldn't have seen it, but he loved the hell out of it.

I remember it being a standing-room only theater, at the beginning; but lots of people screaming and leaving as soon as the chestburster reared his ugly head. Those of us who stayed with it past that scene, including me and my dad, remained riveted to the screen, and everyone was screaming and yelling at the characters onscreen during the ensuing stalkings and slaughter: "NO, GOD, NO, DON'T GO THERE, DON'T DO THAT, IT'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU OH JEEBUZ NO"....

Maybe the most fun I've ever had in a theater (that didn't involve making out with a girlfriend).

haha your poor mom! lol. But that's awesome. That's what going to the cinema is all about.

Can't quote from the deadthread, but Morningstar, you were speculating on what it was like to be in the audience for the initial run of Alien:

I was there, at age 13, and it was truly a turning point in sci-fi cinema. I dragged my parents along, telling them it was "kinda like Star Wars," so they wouldn't question the R rating. When it was all said and done, my mom came out of there pale and shaken and said, "WHY did you take us to see this movie...?!?!?" My dad said something to the effect that it was way over my age level and I shouldn't have seen it, but he loved the hell out of it.

I remember it being a standing-room only theater, at the beginning; but lots of people screaming and leaving as soon as the chestburster reared his ugly head. Those of us who stayed with it past that scene, including me and my dad, remained riveted to the screen, and everyone was screaming and yelling at the characters onscreen during the ensuing stalkings and slaughter: "NO, GOD, NO, DON'T GO THERE, DON'T DO THAT, IT'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU OH JEEBUZ NO"....

Maybe the most fun I've ever had in a theater (that didn't involve making out with a girlfriend).

LOL! Oh that was good story! Thanks for sharing!

I saw alien during its initial run, I was 19 at the time. I don't remember anyone leaving during the chest scene, but a woman in front of me, dressed in a beautiful black gown started crying when the robot started vomiting up that white oil. My friends were laughing hysterically. I was worried her date was going to hit one of us.

On a side note, I saw Superman the movie one year earlier. It was the only movie I ever saw that had 6 standing ovations. Whenever I see that helicopter scene I still get goosebumps remembering everyone standing and clapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a side note, I saw Superman the movie one year earlier. It was the only movie I ever saw that had 6 standing ovations. Whenever I see that helicopter scene I still get goosebumps remembering everyone standing and clapping.

Yeah, that Superman scene, complete with John Williams' unforgettable theme, really made it special. I do think the first Superman movie somewhat faltered at the end, thanks to that reversing-the-Earth's-rotation kind of nonsense, but that helicopter scene is one for the ages.

Yeah Superman, Jaws & The Sting are my favorite 1970's films. Good decade.

IMO Forrest Gump is very overrated. The perfect drama and indeed IMO the best movie ever is The Shawshank Redemption.

I love Forrest Gump but I was thinking TSR right before I read your post.

Forrest Gump I have never seen as a straight drama. It's more of a dramedy. There's just too much comedy in it. TSR I never got the appeal of. It's an alright film but if I want to watch a prison film I like then I'll stick with The Green Mile.

Forrest Gump isn't a straight drama its basically a satire.

I'm not referring to my personal taste, just the consensus of opinions I've seen. And I didn't say "best" or "favorite" I said most perfectly executed (considering their respective releases of course). As much as I love Forrest Gump and Shawshank I don't think they are best executed dramas. My money would go to Usual Suspects or Saving Private Ryan. Just met though.

I was listening to one of my favorite talk show hosts who is also a movie critic,
And on todays show he said "I saw the Slumber er, the Hunger Games. "
Sounds like it might not have massive GA appeal after the first week.
We shall see.

Last edited:
My favorite 70's movies I saw at the theater as a child was Superman, Rocky II, Star Wars, Buck Rogers, Smokey and the Bandit 2, and Grease.

I saw and enjoyed all of those .
I would also throw in a couple of conspiracy movies,
Three Days of The Condor and The Parallax View.
In fact , during a particular sequence in TPV, An image of Thor from the comics is flashed on the screen more than once.

Just for reference: Hunger Games is expected to surpass $125 mil domestically this weekend. Final estimation isn't in yet because Lionsgate is still trying to buy more screens to facilitate demand.

I'm gonna venture $140 mil domestic $250 mil international (since it's not going to be available in Asia this weekend)

I was listening to one of my favorite talk show hosts who is also a movie critic,
We shall see.

One talk show host trying to get attention by saying something that goes against the mainstream does not equal the mainstream.

From boxofficemojo today:
So, how high can The Hunger Games open? Industry tracking is showing incredibly high levels of interest across all ages and both genders, with the greatest interest obviously coming from younger women (though young men aren't really far behind). According to Fandango, it has sold out over 2,500 showtimes and currently ranks as the third-highest advanced ticket seller ever behind The Twilight Saga: New Moon and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Those movies opened to $142.8 million and $169.2 million, respectively, and were both highly-anticipated sequels.

Based on the information available, The Hunger Games should open higher than 2010's Alice in Wonderland ($116.1 million), which will give it the top opening ever for a January-April release and also the best debut for a non-sequel. The big question is whether it can pass The Twilight Saga: New Moon's $142.8 million opening (best in the Twilight franchise)—while that is entirely possible, I'm going to play it a little safer with a forecast below $140 million.

Wow! This is why I refrain from predicting BO performance. I simple have no resonance with the GA and what works for them. This is almost like a mass hysteria type effect; honestly the trailers aren't good. I've spoken to multiple people who are not fans of the book and they all echo my sentiments that they don't look good. But somehow the hype is spreading like a highly contagious virus.

Wow! This is why I refrain from predicting BO performance. I simple have no resonance with the GA and what works for them. This is almost like a mass hysteria type effect; honestly the trailers aren't good. I've spoken to multiple people who are not fans of the book and they all echo my sentiments that they don't look good. But somehow the hype is spreading like a highly contagious virus.
Because the movie itself is good, like the book (apparently, I haven't read the book) was

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051818
Early returns from Thursday midnight screenings of "The Hunger Games" are tracking north of $25 million, validating predictions of an outsized hit for Lionsgate's biggest bet yet.

We shall see.

I have to say everything I've read, both good and bad reviews, suggests that this movie may not be for me. Things that particularly stand out:

- the sci-fi channel like visuals
- the shaky cam action scenes
- teen girl coming of age drama
- teen love triangle
- lack of gruesomeness

Not saying the movie isn't good just that it probably isn't my cup of tea.

I have to say everything I've read, both good and bad reviews, suggests that this movie may not be for me. Things that particularly stand out:

- the sci-fi channel like visuals
- the shaky cam action scenes
- teen girl coming of age drama
- teen love triangle
- lack of gruesomeness

Not saying the movie isn't good just that it probably isn't my cup of tea.
Saying Hunger Games looks like a sci fi channel movie is just as silly as saying Avengers looks like a TV show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"