Estimated Box Office Take

Discussion in 'X-Men 1, 2 & 3' started by bjgroves, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

That's definitely true but does not apply to the same extent with comic book movies.

2. Aiden

Aiden Registered

The thing with these animated movies is that we underestimate them. Look at Ice Age 2. 70 million in one weekend. Cars will make big money. I'm sure of it. Over The Hedge has the potential to make big money. X3 will have a massive opening weekend. Above 80 million. Overall,including domestic and foreign, I'd say around the 500 million mark or there abouts

3. flavio_lebeau

flavio_lebeau Registered

i expect 550 million worldwide at least...X2 made almost 400 million, it will be easy for X3 to reach its top, since X2 was a great film.

4. flavio_lebeau

flavio_lebeau Registered

it does.

5. YJ1

YJ1 Armed and Dangerous

You people are insane. If X3 simply does X2 type numbers, it'll be a mega hit and X4 will be guaranteed in some form. Batman Begins limped to the 200 million domestic mark itself and the WB couldn't green light BB2 fast enough. BB spent 150 million to make and another 100 million to market. X3 won't have to spend near that to market the film with Fox's marketing juggernaut. DVD sales alone will be massive. X3 doesn't need to get anywhere near 300 million but it would be nice to see.

6. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

My Estimates:

Domestic: 236m
    Worldwide: 478m

:( Not enough for a X4 greenlight, IMO

-TNC

7. Excel

Excel O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

im sorry but no way any of those happen.

1. its domestic gross will be like the first 2 movies-more then the foreign take.
    2. compition is huge, much bigger then x1 or x2.
    3. the films is darker then the first 2, that will limit its appeal.
    4. this doesnt appeal to kids, and is sandwiched between monster kid flicks CARS and OVER THE HEDGE

My prediction, basedon everything is :

-82 million 3 day
    -101 4 day memoiral weekend
    -246 million u.s. total
    -217 million foreign take
    =463 million worldwide

8. berzerko89

berzerko89 Registered

500 million worlwide!!! wohoooo!!!

9. JP

JP Smelly

This makes the most sense. :up:

10. berzerko89

berzerko89 Registered

AMEN :up: :up: :up:!!!

11. Sun_Down

Sun_Down Groovy

I think it'll pull down numbers close to X2's, but not much more. Maybe $450 million worldwide

12. YJ1

YJ1 Armed and Dangerous

That looks about right.

I'm going to use my "Price Is Right" later post privilege and say...

463,000,001 worldwide.

13. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

Pretty close to my estimates... :up:

-TNC

14. josh8

josh8 Registered

neither x1 nor x2 had any legs after big openings. and they were both relatively well-received movies. add that and the fact that all movies these days are failing to last long, i think x3's opening weekend will be very crucial.

i'm pretty sure that x3 will be bigger than x2, since i dont think anyone has been turned off the franchise, and if anything more people will be interested. so i'm expecting a bigger opening weekend.

since it's a holiday (and with inflation), the 3-day figure might be a little better than x2's, at around $90 million, and then monday's gravy will make a 4-day total of about $110 million. i'd say after that, it can make about 2.3x that much.

final domestic take: ~$250 million. not at vast improvement, but still a growing franchise, which aint bad at all.

15. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

I will guess X3 will pull in nearly 100 million opening weekend.

16. Advanced Dark

Advanced Dark Registered

100+ Million opening weekend with a 250 domestic take and a 300 million international take. 550 million total.

17. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

I think you may be underestimating rewatchability factors. Sentinels, more action, etc., are guaranteed in this film. Nostalgic storylines, i.e. the rise of The Dark Phoenix, and character improvements for certain X-Men are also going to be front and center. When you combine all of these elements, plus the tremendous mainstream momentum produced by the first two films, it's highly possible that X3 will best its predecessors by a large margin.

And let us not discount FOX's marketing machine. You won't be able to hide in a nook or cranny anywhere in 5 weeks without facing an X and a 3.

18. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

X3 will easily beat its predecesors.

19. Downhere

Downhere Jeremiah 33:3

Amen! I think this could really do well and go over 500 million worldwide.

20. josh8

josh8 Registered

i would be nothing but ecstatic if x3 were to break out, but i just dont see it happening. the only big movies in recent years that have been able to pull off the feat of "legs" are kids movies (harry potter most notably), religiousy backed productions (passion, narnia), and few others (POTC and batman begins).

the x-men movies have never caught on like that, and unfortunately, i dont see that happening this late in the game. BUT, if any x-movie had the chance of doing so, i think this would be it because of all the changes that have been made that sound fan-friendly. it's a longshot, and i guess it is possible.

21. MJB

MJB Registered

Well Lightning if you know something we don't, I doubt the Sentinals will show up. If they are in the movie, then in my opinion it's asinine for FOX to not use them in marketing. I think everyone knows the Sentinals, and it'll help if they are Marketed as opposed to being a surprise, whom I believe isn't in the movie.

The Sentinals are a merchindising asset alone it makes no sense what so ever not to use them to help sell the movie.

22. Halcohol

Halcohol Suit up

^That's a good point, but remember we haven't seen much of the marketing. Since Ratner essentially confirmed their presence in the movie, I'd bet we might catch a glimpse of them in the next trailer or something.

23. Downhere

Downhere Jeremiah 33:3

I believe we will see a glimpse in the next trailer since Ratner confirmed it that Sentinels ARE in the film now. Took a while, but he finally confirmed it.

24. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Check my statement again :o

Comic book movies that made more domestically (US) than abroad:

Hulk, Daredevil, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman Begins, Punisher, Blade, Blade 2, Blade Trinity, X-Men, X2, Hellboy

Comic book movies that made more abroad:

Batman & Robin, Spiderman, Spiderman 2, Sin City, Superman

25. LEX

LEX No justice; just us.

If this ends up be really successful and be on the top of the box office all weeks straight until Superman Returns opens, it'd be a great surprise. After seeing the major advertisement w/ The Fantastic Four movie, everyone will know about X3. This movie is Fox's biggest movie of this year. (Right?) Surely, they wouldn't just let it slide.

Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic.