EVERYTHING Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.
he might be a little too old for marvel they may want to go the evans,hemsworth age range of late 20's

but why not go after David Oyelowo then he is same age as Chiwetel
o030uu.jpg

I'm just waiting for someone to give ONE good reason why Chiwetel *shouldn't* be the Black Panther.

Just one.

"MARVEL'S: The Black Panther" starring: Chiwetelu Umeadi "Chiwetel" Ejiofor

Enough said. Even with marvel in the title, the mainstream audience will stroll right by that movie poster.

Why? Because they don't recognize the actors name?

"MARVEL'S: The Black Panther" starring: Chiwetelu Umeadi "Chiwetel" Ejiofor

Enough said. Even with marvel in the title, the mainstream audience will stroll right by that movie poster.

Why would they spell out Chiwetel Ejiofor's full name.....??? :dry:

Point taken that not everybody is going to recognize Ejiofor or his name, but he's built up a lot of acting chops and indie clout. That's actually MORE than Chris Hemsworth or Mark Ruffalo or Edward Norton brought to the table in their respective MS debuts.

But hey, if you're worried about marquee value, let's just shoot the moon and title your poster "WILL SMITH is Marvel's Black Panther"

In any event, they only need to add the phrase "...an Avengers Movie" to get everybody's butts in the theater seats.

So Chris Hemsworth's name sold Thor to the masses?

Marvel should cast the best person for the role. If that means a name who can play the part, so be it. Maybe that's an unknown.

That said, I kind of can't believe people are suggestin Djimon Hounsou for T'Challa. He's almost 50. Chiwetel Ejiofor will be almost 40 when this film shoots. Idris Elba is already 40. I would imagine Marvel will want T'Challa to be younger. Even Mackie will be 35 if BLACK PANTHER gets up and running in the next few years. And I'm not sure how anyone could prefer Mackie's look for T'Challa.

So Chris Hemsworth's name sold Thor to the masses?

um....no....? :huh:

Hemsworth was a relative unknown (to anyone outside of Oz), and yet he was able to firmly sell the franchise successfully.

That's why I'm saying that the fact that Chiwetel might not be a recognizable name is *not* a strike against casting him....he could anchor the BP franchise the same way that an unknown Hemsworth did for Thor.

Marvel should cast the best person for the role. If that means a name who can play the part, so be it. Maybe that's an unknown.

That said, I kind of can't believe people are suggestin Djimon Hounsou for T'Challa. He's almost 50. Chiwetel Ejiofor will be almost 40 when this film shoots. Idris Elba is already 40. I would imagine Marvel will want T'Challa to be younger. Even Mackie will be 35 if BLACK PANTHER gets up and running in the next few years. And I'm not sure how anyone could prefer Mackie's look for T'Challa.

T'Challa only needs to look like he's in his 20s or 30s. In Hollywood, almost every actor is about ten years older than the role they portray (look at any "teen" movie cast if you're starting to question that....:oldrazz:) Chiwetel is 34. The AVERAGE age of the six current Avengers actors is 36.5. (I won't try to skew the hell out of the average by throwing Old Man Jackson in there at 63....)

All I really want from this film is a battle on and around Mt. Kilamanjaro with Klaw. Either during a second act or in the climax or something.

um....no....? :huh:

Hemsworth was a relative unknown (to anyone outside of Oz), and yet he was able to firmly sell the franchise successfully.

That's why I'm saying that the fact that Chiwetel might not be a recognizable name is *not* a strike against casting him....he could anchor the BP franchise the same way that an unknown Hemsworth did for Thor.

I know, it wasn't directed at you. I was trying to illustrate how the name recognition is irrelevant in another Marvel movie.

I don't think a youthful actor is needed for Black Panther.

The character fits in with more mature heroes like Batman and Iron Man.

Actually I'd arguethat Chewy looks a lot like T'Challa.
241wksj.jpg

506x316_chiwetel.jpg

zmi3l.jpg

Honsou doesnt look like T'Challa to me at all to me

However only supporting Chewy and turning down every other choice and calling other's posts "bull" is not helping the conversation
He's simply perfect for the role. Chris Evans would have to step up even more in Avengers 2 if it goes to Chewy. It would be much harder looking like the leader of the team with this man in the room with them.

Chewy would be good, he's one of my top choices. It depends how they are handling the T'Challa character.

IF they want to do kinda what they did in that (bad imo) Ultimate Avengers 2 movie where they had young T'Challa returning from a long stay away from Wakanda due to his studies then I think Hodge would be the best choice

If they want to do the established king bit that I think Chewy would be the best choice for the job.

However, I think it's best to go with the first one. T'Challa being unsure on how to do everything as king/not having the full trust of his people would add an interesting dimension to the character.

That's the scenario I'm good with too. Hodge for a King that has to grow into the role is fine. One problem they might have if they picked Chewy is they may go with the route of Thor, with him being arrogant and needing to be humbled. I wouldn't want a retread of Thor as BP's arc.

I've said it before, but the way to handle having a star that doesn't have a big name is to surround him with decently known talent so that he doesn't have to sell the movie alone. You could have him as T'Challa, then have Jamie Foxx, Forrest Whitaker, Dennis Haysbert, Angela Bassett, Timothy Olyphant, etc. in the movie as well. People would see so many names that they recognize in the movie that they'd want to see all that talent at once instead of wondering who Ejiofor, Hodge, Oyelowo, etc. is.

Also you gotta put Bill Cosby eatin' da pudding in the trailer. It would instantly sell $400 million.

That's the scenario I'm good with too. Hodge for a King that has to grow into the role is fine. One problem they might have if they picked Chewy is they may go with the route of Thor, with him being arrogant and needing to be humbled. I wouldn't want a retread of Thor as BP's arc.

I never feel Tchalla is an arrogant character or consequently need to be humbled. He has a big burden to carry - a country to look for. He is not the most the most conservative Wakanda/king ever for being Western educated and open to more international exchanges. So he got a lot to prove against Wakanda traditionalist be it shamans, scientists or nobles.

Why Chiwetel or an older actor (not as old as Djimor or Jai White) is fine? BP isn't made to be a trilogy from the get go. The first film needs to justify the sequel and so on.

Yeah I dont want them to go that route. I'm getting kinda tired of that origin story of cocky, arrogant guy must become heroic. I know that idea is as old as time and I know that's in line with some comic origins but Im still getting tired of it in films Thor, Iron Man, Kirk in Star Trek, Taylor Kitsch in Battleship, Hal in Green Lantern...

Regardless of who they pick for Panther, T'Challa's never had a problem with arrogance or needing to be humbled so why would he in the movie?

NAte Parker's cool. Liked him in Red Tails and The Great Debaters

He's solid, but I honestly don't notice him much when he's on the screen. I'm not convinced he's capable of leading a franchise.

I don't think a youthful actor is needed for Black Panther.

The character fits in with more mature heroes like Batman and Iron Man.

While I agree with that, I hope the actor they pick is in his last 20's to early 30's, but one who actually looks his age or a bit older. BP may be a king, but he should be a young king so they can explore his develop both in his movies and TA's.

Someone could be better than him

Expand your mind

This. Chiwetel is an exceptionally fine choice, but he's not the only fine choice and not surely the most suitable choice. And his suitability has little to do with his parentage, and much to do with his screen presence his filmography that contains spread out bits of the T'challa character, like Christian Bale's Batman, basically.

Chewy would be good, he's one of my top choices. It depends how they are handling the T'Challa character.

IF they want to do kinda what they did in that (bad imo) Ultimate Avengers 2 movie where they had young T'Challa returning from a long stay away from Wakanda due to his studies then I think Hodge would be the best choice

If they want to do the established king bit that I think Chewy would be the best choice for the job.

However, I think it's best to go with the first one. T'Challa being unsure on how to do everything as king/not having the full trust of his people would add an interesting dimension to the character.

Also this. I like the young T'Challa if he's going to have a franchise, because he can grow into established T'Challa before us, and then with all that emotional momentum go into all manner of coolness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"