EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spike Lee would be interesting.

But is Marvel going to hire a Black director for Black Panther? Or even a female director for Ms. Marvel if that gets made?

Hard to tell if this is even a serious question or not - but I would hope Marvel would not limit their candidates to a specific race or gender for either of these movies.
Suggesting that they should would be like saying the problem with the Fox FF movies was Tim Story's race and not that he was just the wrong guy for the job.

IF they have to get a black director I'll go for F. Gary Gray or Antoine Fuqua. Personally I don't care as long as the movie is good, and they don't undersell T'Challa and Wakanda to keep from pissing off white people. In others words, no Edward Zwick.

Spike Lee is not directing Black Panther no way, no how. Too outspoken , and he'd make a BP movie "too black". Plus I really can't see Spike coming into that Disney fold he seems too proud to be an independent director. It would seem like he was selling out.

Pretty much. There certainly should be an isolationist movement in Wakanda, balanced by an integrationist/internationalist movement, with T'Challa and his family's ( if I had my way ) traditionally moderate faction caught in the middle. And to throw a further monkey wrench into it, you could have the odd aggressive expansionist, who thinks Wakanda should totally interact with the outside world. . . by conquering a goodly chunk of Africa as a new empire.

I just don't think the isolationist faction should be hardcore luddites. Their goal should be to guard the borders, keep the culture pristine, keep their vibranium and technological breakthroughs to themselves, and have as little to do with the outside world as possible.

The way Ross explained the situation in Wakanda in "The Client" was that it was basically like former Yugoslavia, with T'Challa filling the role of Tito. Each faction disliked the other, but all were united in their respect for the king.

That could work. In fact they would be my top choice.

I'd say they're mine too, under some proper guidelines and with a talented cast they could help bring to life a really good BP movie.

The way Ross explained the situation in Wakanda in "The Client" was that it was basically like former Yugoslavia, with T'Challa filling the role of Tito. Each faction disliked the other, but all were united in their respect for the king.

I can see it, though I'd have it be that this has been a stable instability for about a century. Its not *just* T'challa who has kept the cats herded, but the royal line and their allies in general.

Found a vid of Stan Lee at Wizard World Comic Con once again confirming a BP movie. This was on Nov 23:

Loved the end "...I'll make sure it will be."

Found a vid of Stan Lee at Wizard World Comic Con once again confirming a BP movie. This was on Nov 23:

Loved the end "...I'll make sure it will be."

This is at least the second time he's said something along those lines at a convention. Hopefully, Stan The Man is right and there really is a project being prepared...not just something in the discussion stage.

They'll eventually have to listen to Stan. He's the Man. Part of me feels like he's pretty much saying this to pressure Marvel into making a Black Panther movie.

Stan just wants to be the only white person in Wakanda.

Chiwetel Ejiofor should be Black Panther. I would say Idris Elba, but he's already in the MCU as Heimdall.

What Stan means by "they are working on BP" means it is still in development hell. The same place it was in the 1990's when Wesley Snipes was set to star as T'Challa. I think him and Goyer did a wonderful job with Blade but I don't think he needs that kinda big screen adaption.

My idea for how to solve that matter is to simply not make Wakanda a supertech utopia. They have the overall tech level of a contemporary modern nation, with a few "extras" mostly related to vibranium. The difference is, they built a first world infrastructure *themselves*, much like Japan did, because they had greater technical and social development earlier on, enough to avoid colonization.
This is a good route imo but how much time should be spent in Wakanda? Whats the motivation for leaving? Should he be an ambassador to the USA or perhaps the UN? Who should be his side-kick/assistant in America? I like Hawkeye for that role since he's very capable street level hero/agent with Avengers cred and SHIELD level jurisdiction so he can be of great use assuming much of the movie occurs outside of Wakanda. Hawkeye would also give such a movie a significant white actor/presence which could help in appealing to mostly white American general population

What should T'challa's power level be?
-"Supremely Elite Human" like Widow/Hawkeye?
-Just above "Supremely Elite Human" or perhaps even Low Level Super like Captain America/Blonsky? If so how is that accomplished? In 616 isn't there some kind of Herbal concoction that beefs him up to roughly 616 Captain America's level? Should that direction be taken?

This is a good route imo but how much time should be spent in Wakanda? Whats the motivation for leaving? Should he be an ambassador to the USA or perhaps the UN? Who should be his side-kick/assistant in America? I like Hawkeye for that role since he's very capable street level hero/agent with Avengers cred and SHIELD level jurisdiction so he can be of great use assuming much of the movie occurs outside of Wakanda. Hawkeye would also give such a movie a significant white actor/presence which could help in appealing to mostly white American general population

-Just above "Supremely Elite Human" or perhaps even Low Level Super like Captain America/Blonsky? If so how is that accomplished? In 616 isn't there some kind of Herbal concoction that beefs him up to roughly 616 Captain America's level? Should that direction be taken?

T'Challa is basically Captain America and Daredevil in terms of powers, so he should be shown to be on that tier. It's pretty easy to break down why he gets his powers. In order to prove himself worthy of being Black Panther he has to beat six of Wakanda's best fighters on his own with no tech, and then he has to climb a mountain to retrieve the heart shaped herb that gives him those powers. It would make for some good drama and action, and that's exactly how his origin is handled in the comics.

Hmm, though call. My own preference is that he should be a peer of Captain America, but I'm not sure that would necessarily mean the same physical powers. It might work better, and make him a little more distinct, if he only gets heightened senses from the sacred herb, otherwise having the physical abilities of a elite human. *However*, onto this you add the full panoply of high tech, vibranium derived gadgetry that Priest gave him. So, great resistance to damage ( vibranium weave costume ), running up walls, claws that can slice metal readily, things like that. Add that all up, and you should have a character whose a peer of Cap, despite not being able to bench press a car or shrug small caliber gunfire off his bare pecs.

Add that all up, and you should have a character whose a peer of Cap, despite not being able to bench press a car or shrug small caliber gunfire off his bare pecs.

Since when can Cap do that?

Hmm, though call. My own preference is that he should be a peer of Captain America, but I'm not sure that would necessarily mean the same physical powers. It might work better, and make him a little more distinct, if he only gets heightened senses from the sacred herb, otherwise having the physical abilities of a elite human. *However*, onto this you add the full panoply of high tech, vibranium derived gadgetry that Priest gave him. So, great resistance to damage ( vibranium weave costume ), running up walls, claws that can slice metal readily, things like that. Add that all up, and you should have a character whose a peer of Cap, despite not being able to bench press a car or shrug small caliber gunfire off his bare pecs.
Yup, I think this is perfect for T'Challa's power levels.

I personally would also give T'Challa a significantly superhuman agility, beyond peak human on that (or is it beyond?). That with his senses, stealth and analytical abilities makes for a very compelling shadow character.

I think it was a tongue and cheek reference to cap taking a full on Chitauri blast and keep fighting

It might well be an exaggeration, but there's some ambiguous evidence for it. Notably, the very first chase scene in Cap 1 ended with him having what *looked* like a superficial wound bleeding at the end of it, that seemed to first appear around the time Krueger was shooting at him. It could be he got hit, and all the bullet did was break his skin and give him some trivial damage. Combined with the scene in Avengers where he gets his by the Chitauri blaster? I think it makes for a credible, if hardly certain, case for "far more resistant to bullets than an ordinary human."

Regardless, I hope I don't get any objection to the idea that Cap is definitely superhumanly durable, even if it is largely of the "blunt force only" variety that comics seem annoyingly fond of.

It might well be an exaggeration, but there's some ambiguous evidence for it. Notably, the very first chase scene in Cap 1 ended with him having what *looked* like a superficial wound bleeding at the end of it, that seemed to first appear around the time Krueger was shooting at him. It could be he got hit, and all the bullet did was break his skin and give him some trivial damage.
I'll have to rewatch that scene

Combined with the scene in Avengers where he gets his by the Chitauri blaster? I think it makes for a credible, if hardly certain, case for "far more resistant to bullets than an ordinary human."

Regardless, I hope I don't get any objection to the idea that Cap is definitely superhumanly durable
I'd say he's superhumanly durable

To be fair, most action heroes are superhumanly durable.

I saw Chiwetel in Dirty Pretty Things last night. He's such a good actor. Marvel needs to sign him for Black Panther, now.

To be fair, most action heroes are superhumanly durable.

Eh, I distinguish between "unrealistically durable" and "superhumanly durable." On the low end, it is a matter of directorial intent, sure, but it still tends to not be quite the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"