Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel knows the first order of business:

You never negotiate with terrorists.:o

Last edited:
Marvel knows the first order of business:

You never negotiate with terrorists.:o

Umm huh?

Fox didn't get the rights without spending their own money. Its not like the film rights for FF were stolen from them. Just saying.

Yeah, that comment is dumb. However, I agree with the fundamental premise that it isn't in Marvel's interests to pay to get Fantastic Four back.

The only reason I could see them wanting to get them back is that I get the impression that TPTB at Marvel are all big Marvel fans and that likely means they're fans of Marvel's first family. So they probably want to see it done justice. Now maybe if this movie ends up being good, they'll be relatively content with that because they don't really have room for them anyway, but I'm sure they'll be disappointed in a bad Fantastic Four along with everyone else.

The problem is, Fox can't unring the bell they sounded when one of their executives said (two or three years ago?) that they'd make a crap film just to keep the rights.

And they're not demonstrating anything with this project that would indicate they're doing anything other than that. No matter how they got the rights initially, if they're damaging them now out of spite, that's inexcusable.

If fans feel Fox is mismanaging this property, Fox should blame their own words and actions rather than us.

Last edited:
The problem is, Fox can't unring the bell they sounded when one of their executives said (two or three years ago?) that they'd make a crap film just to keep the rights.

And they're not demonstrating anything with this project that would indicate they're doing anything other than that. No matter how they got the rights initially, if they're damaging them now out of spite, that's inexcusable.

If fans feel Fox is mismanaging this property, Fox should blame their own words and actions rather than us.

Who said that and what did he say exactly?

Isn't Kevin Feige an executive producer on this project as well?

I'm curious too. While I certainly believe that is what Fox is thinking, I'm surprised one their executives would be dumb enough to admit that in public.

Maybe someone else who was around can remember the details (I've tried to look it up and haven't been able to find a link), but there was an executive quoted as basically saying Marvel/Disney would get the rights back over their dead body and he said Fox would make a quick, cheap film just to keep the rights if they had to.

I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Maybe someone else who was around can remember the details (I've tried to look it up and haven't been able to find a link), but there was an executive quoted as basically saying Marvel/Disney would get the rights back over their dead body and he said Fox would make a quick, cheap film just to keep the rights if they had to.

I'll look around and see if I can find it.

I'm pretty sure that was Tom Rothman, and he's long gone.

Okay, here is the quote. The original source is apparently IESB from October 2010, but after 4 years all I can find is a bunch of people quoting it. If you copy and paste my text you can do some research for yourself.

Insiders are telling IESB Disney would love to get Fantastic Four back under their control and that this series, above all, fits the Disney mold the best being the first superhero family.

While Daredevil isn't considered a first tier character, the Mouse House wants Matt Murdock and his alter ego Daredevil back under the control of Marvel Entertainment.

Disney will never and I mean never, ever, not in a 100 years, get this property back under the control of Marvel Entertainment, just not going to happen. Fox owns all of these properties for perpetuity, in other words, for-ev-ver....for-ev-ver...

Word on the street is Fox has made it very clear that they will not let go of any of the properties under their control for any live action medium.

We've also been told that if it ever came to the point where they were going to lose any property they own because of failing to have a movie in production, they would simply produce a low budget, straight-to-DVD feature and stick it in any theater to fulfill their theatrical release clause.

Now obviously someone could question the validity of the source and clearly Daredevil reverted without Fox taking the drastic action that was suggested.

But now, 4 years later, doesn't it look like what we're seeing is confirming exactly what that source suggested?

If they had said: "We value FF immensely and we will put everything into making the best FF film possible." We could look back now, 4 years later and say: "I guess that was bull****."

But when the quote was: "We've also been told that if it ever came to the point where they were going to lose any property they own because of failing to have a movie in production, they would simply produce a low budget, straight-to-DVD feature and stick it in any theater to fulfill their theatrical release clause." We have to look back now, 4 years later and say: "That looks pretty close to what is actually happening."

Yeah, if you see what looks like a turd floating around in the toilet bowl and it smells likes one too, you're not going to take the chance that it could just be some new chocolate-covered delicacy that dropped in there by accident.

Yeah, if you see what looks like a turd floating around in the toilet bowl and it smells likes one too, you're not going to take the chance that it could just be some new chocolate-covered delicacy that dropped in there by accident.

Exactly. Think about everything we know about this film:

1. The director has only directed one other film and that one film had a budget of $12 million dollars.

2. The script was written by somebody who never wrote anything before.

3. Not one single cast-member has had a starring role in a major motion-picture.

4. It was shot over a couple months.

5. It was filmed in Baton Rouge.

6. It was filmed by a tiny crew that was barely seen.

7. There were no major scenes and the production never even interrupted traffic patterns.

8. There has not been the tiniest bit of publicity for the film and we don't even have a logo yet.

Everything about this production screams "Cheap, cheap, cheap!!"

Combine all that with that quote from 4 years ago and there's not one shred of evidence to indicate Fox considers this a serious production in any way, and in fact, it's quite possible that they're intentionally making a very cheap film for the primary purpose of keeping the rights.

This is more like Corman's film than Corman's film was. :doh:

Last edited:
We've also been told that if it ever came to the point where they were going to lose any property they own because of failing to have a movie in production, they would simply produce a low budget, straight-to-DVD feature and stick it in any theater to fulfill their theatrical release clause.

Their cunning plan didn't work for the Daredevil rights.

At any rate, even if the "in perpetuity" thing is true (and I don't believe it is) all it takes is a shift in personnel/management for companywide attitudes to change. hell the guy who said this may not be there any more for all we know.

1. The director has only directed one other film and that one film had a budget of $12 million dollars.

3. Not one single cast-member has had a starring role in a major motion-picture.

7. There were no major scenes and the production never even interrupted traffic patterns.

8. There has not been the tiniest bit of publicity for the film and we don't even have a logo yet.

Combine all that with that quote from 4 years ago and there's not one shred of evidence to indicate Fox considers this a serious production in any way, and in fact, it's quite possible that they're intentionally making a very cheap film for the primary purpose of keeping the rights.

Baton Rouge actually has quite a booming film industry here. The studio that was put up is supposed to be fantastic, and LA in General now had a laundry list of tax breaks to draw the film industry here. There's a lot more movies filmed here than I think people realize.

Keep in mind that the strategy of, "push out a horrible product just to keep the rights" strategy is probably going to backfire since there has never been a good Fantastic Four film. The brand will be horribly tarnished beyond repair and the only way for Fox to profit will be to sell the rights back.

To put things in perspective, the previous movies ensured that Marvel's TV show only lasted for one season and merchandise is nearly impossible to come by. That kind of means that Fox already has to deal with audience apathy over the property since comic fans are the only people with any fond memories of the FF now.

This is exactly what it feels like.

Filmed in a warehouse(s) with nothing but green screen over the period of 3 and a half months with a probably super cheap actor/writer(s)/cast?

Come on.

I wish we knew for sure what the budget on this friggin thing was.

Baton Rouge actually has quite a booming film industry here. The studio that was put up is supposed to be fantastic, and LA in General now had a laundry list of tax breaks to draw the film industry here. There's a lot more movies filmed here than I think people realize.

http://www.filmbatonrouge.com/about/filmed-in-br/full-filmography

Quite the filmography.

Keep in mind that the strategy of, "push out a horrible product just to keep the rights" strategy is probably going to backfire since there has never been a good Fantastic Four film. The brand will be horribly tarnished beyond repair and the only way for Fox to profit will be to sell the rights back.

To put things in perspective, the previous movies ensured that Marvel's TV show only lasted for one season and merchandise is nearly impossible to come by. That kind of means that Fox already has to deal with audience apathy over the property since comic fans are the only people with any fond memories of the FF now.

Which begs the question, why bother keeping the rights to something people, as of right now, either don't care about or have nothing but negative things to say?

And the only logical answer is out of spite. Somebody's pissed at Fox that Marvel Studios is doing the superhero movie better than they are.

FOX is not going to just keep making cheap low budget FF films just to keep the rights in perpetuity. Unless somehow this film becomes a moderate success and makes some money for them would they make another one. I believe they were using this film as leverage to entice Disney to make them a better offer. If GOTG were to bomb this would have made Disney possibly rethink their strategy. It would give FOX a few more years to hold it. GOTG was a mega hit. Thats the end of that.

Disney still wants some of the supporting characters tied up in the property but its not necessary because there are substitutes they can use now. I would imagine we will see how this film does before we can determine what FOX does. Expectations are probably very low. Disney isn't dealing and if they do it will be lopsided in their favor. Disney has enough on the slate for the next 5 years taking them through phase 3 and the beginning of phase 4. By that time new and exciting properties will take shape. FF can wait and so will FOX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"