Fantastic Four reborn! - - - - - - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are they scrapping this or what? Fox clearly doesn't give a darn about this. Everything that has been leaked screams out "hostage/blackmail".

Pretty obvious that a huge buy out from Disney would certainly be welcomed.

It's like you're not reading a thing I type...

X-Men is grounded enough for Fox to use most of their plots and characters. Fantastic Four is not. This is a company that is so terrified of anything that Nolan Batman wouldn't do that it butchered the Phoenix Saga and made Galactus a space cloud. And again, the F4's best stories all involve people owned by other companies, the X-Men are more self contained. Let me state this clearly one final time.

The X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises aren't comparable in any way, trying to say that how one turned out means the other could change too is comparing apples to cannon balls. Fox is unwilling to use Fantastic concepts, something necessary to the Fantastic Four, but not the X-Men.

And again I would like to repeat myself, Fox doesn't 100% make the film, they produce and distribute the film, the sole responsibility for the story/quality of the film comes from the people they hire - the writers, the director, the producers, etc... Did Fox ask the writers to make Galactus look like a cloud? And if you are gonna bring up Tom Rothman, that guy no longer works for Fox.

And we don't know how grounded they take for Fantastic Four is. Just because the X-Men people are touching this thing, it doesn't mean, they will treat Fantastic Four like as if its a X-Men spin-off or X-Men 2.0. But what I can say is like with X-Men/Planet of the Apes, with the right people, they could deliver a good movie despite releasing not-so-good films in the past.

Last edited:
Let's check your symptoms. You have no desire to see a great F4 film done by Marvel, you think that with 2 awful F4 films before this and 100% of the news on the upcoming film being terrible that it will be great, and even if it's the worst film ever made you want it to be financially successful...

I'm afraid the diagnosis is in my friend, you have Foxholm Syndrome.

But even if it turns out to be a stinker, I would still hope it gets enough money to warrant a sequel.

Which equals "I hope enough people go and see this crapfest anyway so that they can make another crapfest that people will still go and see anyway."

How do you not get my post? I do not want a bad film, but if the film turns out to be a stinker, I would hopethe film still gets enough profit for a couple of reason :
first- the damage for the Fantastic Four wouldn't be that big
second - so they can do a sequel and make up for the mistakes of the 1st film
third- so Fox wouldn't sit on it for years

$ucce$$ for Fox is the last thing I'm concern of, but the success of the Fantastic Four in film. The film is coming out next year whether we like it or not, might as well hope for the best case scenario. Simple as that, really.

Make up for the mistakes of the 1st film? So the sequel would do a 180 degree turn and dramatically overhaul everything with this first movie? Including the casting, "costumes", premise, found footage, Chronicle stylings etc? Well, isn't that essentially then a reboot of a reboot? Because that would be the only way to "make up for the mistakes of the first film."

And that would also be openly admitting that this movie has been made in a crappy way in the first place and that they were wrong at the time (even though they are not acknowledging that right now).

And if this sequel that seeks to correct everything wrong with the first film also flops, I suppose you'd want yet another sequel to correct everything wrong with the second film?

Because that's what happened with movies like Elektra right? It spawned several sequels to allow them to correct all that was wrong with the first movie. :whatever:

But even if it turns out to be a stinker, I would still hope it gets enough money to warrant a sequel.

Which equals "I hope enough people go and see this crapfest anyway so that they can make another crapfest that people will still go and see anyway."

Yeah, I hope (but don't expect) to get a great movie. But if it is a stinker, the last thing I want is for Fox to rush into another film after making three bad films.

I'd rather never see another FF film than have Fox fumble blindly toward a fourth film after screwing up the first three.

If this film is great, then yeah, let's work toward another great film, but I can't get onboard hoping Fox continues making films if they fail on this one.

The problem with wanting it to make enough to warrant a sequel where they can fix all the mistakes of the first is that it simply doesn't happen. All that happens when the first film scrapes enough at the box office to justify a sequel is that the studio is even more cautious and slashes the budget as they expect to make even less from the sequel. The only time where you see studios coming back to the franchise and trying to make things bigger and better, with the problems of the first being fixed, is when you have unexpected blockbusters, films the studio expected to do poorly but ended up doing way better than expected at the box office. Studios expand successful franchises and cut their losses with failing ones.

Why would anyone want this to do well when it's failure means a Fantastic Four film done by a studio who's absolute worst film is slightly above average? Marvel's worst is Iron Man 2, Fox set the low bar with both F4 films, Daredevil, X3, X-Men Origins, Daredevil, Elektra, etc. The Fantastic Four have a lot of out there characters that only Marvel would bw unafraid to use, Galactus and heralds, the Skrulls, the Badoon and so on, Fox wouldn't even put Galactus in the film his name is used in. Then there's the fact that most of the Fantastic Four's best stories occur as part of a larger universe, something Fox can't do.

I guess it boils down to this, why would you choose one or even multiple F4 movies that are just ok, fail to use the more interesting things in their world, and can never be at the F4's full potential when you could have a perfect F4 film just a little ways down the road?
They're called "Useful Idiots" People who admittedly defend or support things that clearly AGAINST their best interest.

There is hope for some though, who eventually realise that they have no leg to stand on so they bow out gracefully. Then there are others who simply just ask for it but then quickly cry foul once someone calls them out on their blatant absurdity.

Not saying you have to hate this reboot but if you're going to defend it, just try to make God given sense doing it.

Let's check your symptoms. You have no desire to see a great F4 film done by Marvel, you think that with 2 awful F4 films before this and 100% of the news on the upcoming film being terrible that it will be great, and even if it's the worst film ever made you want it to be financially successful...

LMAO!!!

That's a brilliant diagnosis! You should get a quarter every time someone uses it!

And again I would like to repeat myself, Fox doesn't 100% make the film, they produce and distribute the film, the sole responsibility for the story/quality of the film comes from the people they hire - the writers, the director, the producers, etc... Did Fox ask the writers to make Galactus look like a cloud? And if you are gonna bring up Tom Rothman, that guy no longer works for Fox.

(sigh).....It's like watching someone poorly explain fire to a pyrotechnician in order to justify burning themselves.

psylockolossus said:
And we don't know how grounded they take for Fantastic Four is.

It has been repeated ad nauseum by those involved with this project that this film is going to be 'dark, gritty, and grounded.' Unless they are all liars, it is safe to assume it will be.

FF needs an Olivia Pope type of PR "fixer".

UPTOWN_kerry_washington_as_olivia_pope.jpg

The August release date is the first positive step in the right direction....hopefully.:(

Tim Story had a little slump post FF and that was touched upon in this Director's Guild article from early this year.
The reality for Story has been an intriguing one, and it’s reflected in the furnishings of his modest office in Playa del Rey, not far from where he grew up in Los Angeles. On the walls are posters of the hit urban comedy Barbershop (2002), with which he made his name, and his follow-up, the Queen Latifah/Jimmy Fallon vehicle Taxi (2004). But the shelves also contain a number of maquettes prepared by the visual effects department of his two big-budget Fantastic Four films (Fantastic Four in 2005 and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer in 2007), which made him the first African-American director to take the reins of a superhero movie. Then there are posters of the comedies Think Like a Man (2012) and Ride Along (2014), which helped him escape from a post-Fantastic Four slump and led to upcoming sequels.
The blend of comedy and action in Taxi landed him Fantastic Four, based on the series of Marvel comics. He didn’t think about the historic nature of his assignment, but focused on the bigger budget and the extra layer of complexity caused by special effects. “With those types of big movies, you’re directing three movies,” he says. “There’s the movie you’re shooting, there’s the second-unit action stuff, and there’s the visual effects movie. You’ve got to learn how to deal with all of them.”

But at times, he admits, he accepted too much help. “The other thing I learned from those two Fantastic Four movies, is that sometimes you can be too lax on how much control you give to the visual effects team, or the production design team, or whoever. If you end up in situations and you’re not happy with certain things, it’s because you didn’t stay on top of them.”

In the aftermath of his two superhero movies, Story wanted to get back to actor-heavy character pieces. “Doing the big movies with the special effects—that’s not 100 percent what I set out to do,” he says. “I wanted to get back to what I knew was in my heart. I think as a filmmaker, there’s the bigness of Hollywood, but if you come from small, personal pieces, you want to get back to that at some point.”

His small, post-Fantastic Four movie was Hurricane Season (2009), which starred Forest Whitaker and Taraji P. Henson in the true story of a New Orleans basketball coach and his team in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Weinstein Company backed the movie, but then opted to scrap a theatrical rollout in favor of a direct-to-video release. “I think if released, it probably would have done fairly well,” Story says. “But it was caught up in the middle of the 2008 financial crisis, and the Weinsteins decided it just wasn’t a movie they wanted to release.”

The result, he said, effectively stymied his career. “In Hollywood, you’re only as good as your last film,” he says. “And there was a stigma: ‘He does movies that go straight to DVD.’ It hurt career-wise, and the one thing you have to do is just lick your wounds. But I knew, because I studied Hollywood’s past, that Hollywood loves a comeback story.”

Before he could enjoy a comeback, though, Story had to find a way to downsize. “My family was getting bigger, my wife was pregnant and we were losing value on our home, so you do start to stress out,” he said. “I got out of the big house that I had, we moved to a smaller home, and I tried to make it so I could create again. When you get caught up in doing projects to pay bills, you’re in trouble.”
Read more:http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1402-Spring-2014/Tim-Story.aspx

Hopefully if this doesn't do well it won't affect Trank's career too much.He's young and shown promise with Chronicle.

It will hurt him with Marvel comic book fans, but if there is some critical acclaim with this different take on superheros he should be ok.

second - so they can do a sequel and make up for the mistakes of the 1st film

Oldest myth in the book.

It's very naive to believe studios care what you think as long as you pay up. All they care about is you paying money out of your pocket to see it. If they got you to see a bad half-ass FF film once, they'd believe they can do it again. And the sad truth is they can actually do it again. You can ***** all you want about how bad you thought a film was when walking out of theatre, but guess what? By then, they already got your money.

I hear this poor attempt at an excuse to see a film all the time, from the Resident Evil films to DBE to the most recent TMNT. The list goes on. How many more butchered properties will it take until we let it sink in that this mentality is deluded? They'll never fix *any* sequel if they know people will blindly cater to whatever they put out.

FF needs an Olivia Pope type of PR "fixer".

UPTOWN_kerry_washington_as_olivia_pope.jpg

The August release date is the first positive step in the right direction....hopefully.:(

Tim Story had a little slump post FF and that was touched upon in this Director's Guild article from early this year.
Read more:http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1402-Spring-2014/Tim-Story.aspx

Hopefully if this doesn't do well it won't affect Trank's career too much.He's young and shown promise with Chronicle.

Scandal is a ABC show, Disney is not having that.

If anything it would be the other way around...having her Gladiators look thru those contracts for loopholes or just make something happen.

Oldest myth in the book.

It's very naive to believe studios care what you think as long as you pay up. All they care about is you paying money out of your pocket to see it. If they got you to see a bad half-ass FF film once, they'd believe they can do it again. And the sad truth is they can actually do it again. You can ***** all you want about how bad you thought a film was when walking out of theatre, but guess what? By then, they already got your money.

I hear this poor attempt at an excuse to see a film all the time, from the Resident Evil films to DBE to the most recent TMNT. The list goes on. How many more butchered properties will it take until we let it sink in that this mentality is deluded? They'll never fix *any* sequel if they know people will blindly cater to whatever they put out.

Exactly!

It's not like you can demand a refund if a film sucks thus the reason Bay is so cocky these days. So when will it dawn on people that you have to vote with your wallet not your mouth. That's the only thing Hollywood will listen to. Otherwise Adam Sandler movies would've ceased over a decade ago.

I can understand waiting for the reviews. But if after all we know about this film, it ends up getting 10% on the Tomatometer on top of that? It would be hard to justify buying a ticket.

It will hurt him with Marvel comic book fans, but if there is some critical acclaim with this different take on superheros he should be ok.

Well he is set to direct a standalone Star Wars film. But Hollywood is fickle and if FF is not a success that could change.

I've just been reading many posts in this thread and the negativity reminds of CINO (Catwoman in Name Only).:(
Scandal is a ABC show, Disney is not having that.

If anything it would be the other way around...having her Gladiators look thru those contracts for loopholes or just make something happen.

Her team can do anything (i'm hooked on Scandal btw:woot:).

Fox is the one controlling the money. That makes it the boss. The director is in charge on the set, but the person who signs off on all of the people hired is the studio. When you can choose the writer/director/makeup/etc, you don't need to come down to the lot and tell the filmmakers to make Galactus look like a cloud: you just hire the people who say that's what they will do. You set the tone. And in a big budget movie, studios are more incentivized to step in directly and influence things on top of that.

IA with you that just because this is a Fox movie, it doesn't automatically mean it's going to be handled like X-Men. We're not in the Golden Age of Hollywood where films were very much the creative visions of the studios and producers as opposed to the directors. But these aren't little auteur projects either. Even Marvel, which seems to be letting some of their directors go in their own directions in Phase 2 (GotG, TWS) still has Feige heavily involved in the decision making, and hires directors whose vision they approve of.

TL;DR: The name of the studio isn't everything, but it isn't nothing either.

I didn't say I'm not concerned about quality. But even if it turns out to be a stinker, I would still hope it gets enough money to warrant a sequel.

1107.gif

I would rather have a bad film but a box-office success than a bad film and a flop.

tablo-confused.gif

14%2B-%2B1

I'm saying did everyone need to make a comment about psylock comments? Talk about piling on Jeez

Well he is set to direct a standalone Star Wars film. But Hollywood is fickle and if FF is not a success that could change.

I've just been reading many posts in this thread and the negativity reminds of CINO (Catwoman in Name Only).:(

Her team can do anything (i'm hooked on Scandal btw:woot:).

Yes, very much the same...

The biggest difference is I think the dislike of the actor choices has lessened somewhat over the past few months.

I think the biggest difference was that people weren't really rooting for Catwoman to fail. Not nearly to the same extent anyways. Most people expected it to and thought it looked terrible, but were hoping that it wasn't. After all, WB was going to keep the rights regardless, so it made sense to hope for the best.

The reaction to this film is more similar to Dragon Ball Evolution, another film that was made on the cheap at the last minute because Fox would have lost the rights if a movie wasn't made. Much like with this film, the fanbase was hostile towards the project from the very beginning and were hoping for a massive flop that would eventually allow the rights to revert. In both cases they weren't just upset about the direction the film was taking (as with CINO), but never even wanted the film to be made in the first place.

I'm saying did everyone need to make a comment about psylock comments? Talk about piling on Jeez

You have to admit:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus

.......is a pretty strange statement.90% of this forum doesn't want this film made,let alone a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"