Fantastic Four reborn! - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the issue here is literally the lack of something, but the need for reassurances. Something could be done to promote the film to counter the negative publicity (especially recent negative publicity) in a way that reassures fans. That's why I do think it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gotcha. :up:

This is Fox, though. As I posted earlier, the constant negativity surrounding First Class didn't stop them from waiting until a mere 4 months before release to show us anything from that film. That's just how they roll, unfortunately.

Was The Avengers absence at 2011's SDCC a sign? They actually gave the same excuse as Kinberg saying they simply weren't "ready" to show anything and were still filming… The did have a NYCC panel the following October (3 months later). I was there. All they showed was the Hulk/Widow scene at the beginning of the film. A small character scene that used zero effects and could have easily been show at SDCC…

They did have Cap's Avengers costume on display at the Marvel booth for 2011's SDCC (same cabinet seen in the the film) and they released the wraparound art poster during that weekend as well, so it wasn't completely by-passed. The fans did get something.

Not saying I agree with a films absence at SDCC = doom & gloom though. There can be perfectly good reasons why a studio might think it best to wait, but saying the Avengers was absent during 2011's SDCC implies they did nothing at all for it, and that is not correct.

As far as this one goes I do think they are probably better off waiting. The fan community is divided at best, so rather than try to sway us now (assuming they can...If this is mostly UFF I won't be moved) I would say the smarter play is to wait until they can show something they can be sure will please the GA, who are where the real big bucks come from when all's said & done.

If they can get some of the dissenting voices in the fan community on board as well at that time, that's a bonus as additional fan hype is always helpful too. Remains to be seen if they can.

They did have Cap's Avengers costume on display at the Marvel booth for 2011's SDCC (same cabinet seen in the the film) and they released the wraparound art poster during that weekend as well, so it wasn't completely by-passed. The fans did get something.

Not saying I agree with a films absence at SDCC = doom & gloom though. There can be perfectly good reasons why a studio might think it best to wait, but saying the Avengers was absent during 2011's SDCC implies they did nothing at all for it, and that is not correct.

As far as this one goes I do think they are probably better off waiting. The fan community is divided at best, so rather than try to sway us now (assuming they can...If this is mostly UFF I won't be moved) I would say the smarter play is to wait until they can show something they can be sure will please the GA, who are where the real big bucks come from when all's said & done.

If they can get some of the dissenting voices in the fan community on board as well at that time, that's a bonus as additional fan hype is always helpful too. Remains to be seen if they can.

From what we've heard, they don't have uniforms...so, they can't even do that. :csad:

From what we've heard, they don't have uniforms...so, they can't even do that. :csad:

And they may not even called the Fantastic Four in the film as well...:csad:

I'm very indifferent about this film and the property in general, but if they don't even have uniforms...WTF?!

Wait...
what........
adsflkasjfa;ljfalksjfals;jrao;eijasidlfjasdlf;ifjeaf

According to Kinberg they aren't the Fantastic Four in this movie, as in "I GUESS" the coming of age story has it has been described is only about them getting their powers, and coming to grips with their disabilities. :yay:

As some have already stated, they could have flight suits, BUT, not sure why they would have flight suits when they aren't flying anywhere.....they are going through a portal, not sure if flight suits are needed for that or not.

They may wear some kind of suit in case the environment is expected to be harsh.

That's true...

Actually, if they didn't wear some kind of protective gear going through that portal, where who knows what the hell is on the other side, they would be absolute morons.

Actually, if they didn't wear some kind of protective gear going through that portal, where who knows what the hell is on the other side, they would be absolute morons.

If they go by UFF, then they weren't planning on being transported. They were testing the portal and were going to just transport an apple. Victor had changed the calculations behind Reed's back....and that is what caused the accident that ended up transporting all of them...Ben just happens to show up to watch the test.

That’s what I keep on hearing. Can you talk a little bit about when we’re start hearing about the new costumes and the specifics or is everything going to be under wraps for as long as possible?

KINBERG: I don’t actually know the answer to that. I don’t know what the plans are for the publicity. We start shooting in two, three weeks. I went to Baton Rouge the day before yesterday. I go back there tomorrow. We have the cast. We have the costumes.

so i guess there is gonna be costumes unless there is something else being discussed here

From my understanding they didn't get costumes until the third issue in the comics, after the origin. That right?

They've been kicking around for hundreds of issues for over 50 years, and for two of those issues they didn't have uniforms.

That’s what I keep on hearing. Can you talk a little bit about when we’re start hearing about the new costumes and the specifics or is everything going to be under wraps for as long as possible?

KINBERG: I don’t actually know the answer to that. I don’t know what the plans are for the publicity. We start shooting in two, three weeks. I went to Baton Rouge the day before yesterday. I go back there tomorrow. We have the cast. We have the costumes.

so i guess there is gonna be costumes unless there is something else being discussed here

'Costumes' in film parlance means whatever the actors will wear on screen. A pair of jeans and a T-shirt is a costume.

'Costumes' in film parlance means whatever the actors will wear on screen. A pair of jeans and a T-shirt is a costume.

When Jessica Alba was wearing nothing but a smile (or frown) in the old FF films, that was her costume. ;)

Gotcha. :up:

This is Fox, though. As I posted earlier, the constant negativity surrounding First Class didn't stop them from waiting until a mere 4 months before release to show us anything from that film. That's just how they roll, unfortunately.

You might be right. I don't personally remember negativity surrounding First Class, but, given that it followed X-Men Origins, I'm not surprised that it would have existed. I remember my friends were excited by the casting of Michael Fassbender, but, obviously, one person doesn't overcome any negativity, if it existed. People also liked Bryan Singer, though, so I would hope that gave some reasons for hope. However, if the backlash against First Class was at the same level as the Fantastic Four, that might be a model to follow for Fox.

I just feel there are differences. One being that there has never been a Fantastic Four film people enjoyed, so people want signs of hope that this one will be better (I almost wrote "different," but that's clearly not the correct word). I feel this is a blown opportunity. If not for a teaser trailer or a sneak peek at a scene, at least some concept art or something like that. Show us Doom and some Doom Bots at a minimum.

Pretty sure they are talking about the costumes, questions like that aren't asked about t-shirts and jeans in a superhero movie.

Costumes in film mean costumes; everyday clothing in film is referred to as wardrobe.

Costumes in film mean costumes; everyday clothing in film is referred to as wardrobe.

Really? So why is the Academy Award called "Best Costume Design" rather than "Best Wardrobe Design"?

A 'costume' is something someone wears to look like someone else. Everybody in a film is pretending to be someone else and the clothes that are either bought or made are designed to fit that character and is that character's costume (be it the clothes in 'West Side Story' or 'Dangerous Liaisons' - the fact that styles vary drastically from one film to another doesn't make some costumes and some wardrobe, different characters and different settings will have drastically different costumes). You can call them 'costumes' or you can call them 'wardrobe' - either term is correct - but the use of one word over the other certainly doesn't imply any particular design.

The costumes will be what the director and designers feel fit the characters and the director's vision.

Last edited:
Frankly, 'costumes' are the least of my concerns right now, but here's why I think anybody who is expecting anything close to traditional costumes will be disappointed:

Kinberg and others have said over and over again this will be 'grounded' and 'gritty' and 'realistic' and 'not cartoony'.

Kinberg has said that they won't be called the Fantastic Four in this film. Well if they're not going to be called the fantastic four and this is going to be very grounded and gritty, why would we expect blue spandex with 4's on them? It just seems a foolish expectation considering everything we know.

Will they have flight suits or (as one source suggested) containment suits (which would be similar to what Trank did in Chronicle with the fire-suit)? Sure. I think that's very possible and would work.

But interpreting one word that Kinberg used as an implication that we will see anything close to the uniforms we know from the comics when everything else he has said goes against that doesn't make sense to me.

Frankly, 'costumes' are the least of my concerns right now, but here's why I think anybody who is expecting anything close to traditional costumes will be disappointed:

Kinberg and others have said over and over again this will be 'grounded' and 'gritty' and 'realistic' and 'not cartoony'.

Kinberg has said that they won't be called the Fantastic Four in this film. Well if they're not going to be called the fantastic four and this is going to be very grounded and gritty, why would we expect blue spandex with 4's on them? It just seems a foolish expectation considering everything we know.

Will they have flight suits or (as one source suggested) containment suits (which would be similar to what Trank did in Chronicle with the fire-suit)? Sure. I think that's very possible and would work.

But interpreting one word that Kinberg used as an implication that we will see anything close to the uniforms we know from the comics when everything else he has said goes against that doesn't make sense to me.

The dark knight trilology is as grounded as you can get and they have costumes. So I'm fairly certain there are some kind of traditional comic book costume involved. Them not being called the fantastic four could mean there first adventure is not a public one or even earth based. They could spend the majority of the film within the negative zone.

The dark knight trilology is as grounded as you can get and they have costumes. So I'm fairly certain there are some kind of traditional comic book costume involved. Them not being called the fantastic four could mean there first adventure is not a public one or even earth based. They could spend the majority of the film within the negative zone.

Maybe. I'm just very skeptical at this point that we'll see anything that really looks like the Fantastic Four.

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly suprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back