Fantastic Four reborn! - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
This movie has a dragon ball evolution vibe all over it.

I never followed that movie, and I don't remember when the Corman FF was being made. It's funny to be actually following a dud production and seeing it all unfold first hand when it's happening at the time.

I never followed that movie, and I don't remember when the Corman FF was being made. It's funny to be actually following a dud production and seeing it all unfold first hand when it's happening at the time.

I actually remember Wizard covering the Corman FF movie in one of their summer movie previews.

I'm just skimming quickly through the 1994 FF movie. Why on earth didn't Trank just remake that one? Aside from the jeweller plot, the early part of it seems to focus on them "dealing with their disabilities". It seems fairly "grounded" in that it builds up to their space flight, has scientists running tests on them etc.

Thing: "Reed, what have you done?! Rawrrrr" lol

Does the Thing look shorter than Reed now, even though as Ben Grimm he seemed to be taller? I know they were played by different actors.

Does the Thing look shorter than Reed now, even though as Ben Grimm he seemed to be taller? I know they were played by different actors.

I don't rremember. I know in the still frame promo shots Thing was bigger than Reed. Worst line in that whole movie though is where Alicia tells Ben, "I love you" in the most ridiculous way possible. Lol

Take this with a mountain of salt, but apparently someone who read the script says this is the plot.

Reed is a genius convenience store clerk with Ben. Reed's parents don't care about him, and Ben's dad is abusive. They're good friends and have each other's backs. Reed writes a paper for community college on teleportation that attracts the attention of Dr. Franklin Storm, CEO of the Baxter Building research center.

Storm has a son, Johnny, and an adoptive daughter, Sue, whose father, Storm's old partner, died in an experiment gone wrong. Johnny and Sue are party kids, and Sue is particularly disdainful of science. Reed and Sue don't get along at first.

Victor Doomashev is a anti-social Eastern European computer programmer and hacktivist who calls himself "Doom". He hates the 1%, particularly Storm, whom he claims corrupts science for profit.

Storm uses Reed's paper to complete some equations on a machine to access another dimension, the N-Zone. Reed invites Ben to watch the machine being turned on. Sue and Johnny are also there. Doom manages to hack into the Baxter Building's servers and use a computer virus to damage the machine, which explodes. Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben are exposed to otherwordly energy and become mutants with powers that they can't control.

Storm takes them to the Baxter Building and creates containment suits for their powers. They begin to train. Reed and Storm also begin developing a way to revert the accident. Sue blames Reed for everything, but they eventually become friends and then a couple. Ben can switch off his powers when he's not in danger. Johnny changes colors based on heat intensity, and Sue has some borderline telekinetic thing. Reed is pretty much Reed.

Doom finds out that the four have acquired powers and becomes angry it's not him, so he comes up with a plan to break into the Baxter Building to access the N-Zone through the rebuild machine. As a distraction, he reprograms a bunch of stolen military drones, the "Doombots", to attack the building. The four come together as a team for the first time and save people.

Doom activates the machine and gets technopathy powers or something, basically energy blasts and making machines obey to him, and a fight ensues. The machine goes critical, and, in order to prevent it from exploding and destroying the city, the four push into it and Storm shuts it off.

There's a countdown before it reaches critical mass. Inside the N-Zone, the four battle Doom again, and manage to leave him trapped there after he disfigures himself soaking up too much power. The Four manage to escape, but Ben gets the blunt of it to protect Reed and can't switch back.

The machine is destroyed, Doom is gone, the four have learned to work as a team, and Reed vows to find a cure for Ben. And it ends there.

That's just lazy and stupid enough to be true, unfortunately. If this is actually the plot I hope everyone involved with this gets giardia.

I've been running this through my mind (not because I wanted to, but like when you get a song stuck in your head, sometimes you just can't avoid it), and I'm nearly convinced it's legit.

There's a myth that we don't know much about this film, but that's not true. There have been a lot of comments by those involved combined with casting calls, character names, actors playing those characters, etc.

We have a number of puzzle pieces. We don't have all the pieces, but we can see at this point what fits and what doesn't, and we have a general sense of what the whole picture will look like.

Whenever we read an article or blog by someone speculating about what we'll get I generally see 5 or 6 things that don't fit what is known.

This synopsis doesn't have any inconsistencies with what's known. That's intriguing enough on its own, but what impresses me more is it answers several questions I've had. For example:

1. MBJ describes how difficult it was to get into his tight-fitting 'containment-suit', but containment-shirts are bulky, loose fitting things. Why did he talk about how tight it was?

A: Because the containment suit is designed to contain him, not isolate him from an outside environment.

2. CGI characters are expensive, but this is clearly a low-budget effort. How can they do a CGI Thing on this budget?

A: Because he can change back to human through much of the film.

3. We had a credible report that we would get 'Doombots', but how could we have such a cool, epic, expensive 616 element when everything else seems the opposite of that?

A: Because they're pathetic UFF drones that are called Doombots.

In addition, it explains how brother and sister can be black and white (complete with Hollywood cliche') and it explains how we saw so little actual filming (because a good chunk of it probably takes place in the Baxter Institute - interiors of which were probably built on soundstages and the final battle was probably done on green-screen (we joke about Doom being in his mother's basement. This whole film was probably shot in someone's basement)

With all that in mind, I see two plausible scenarios:

1. Someone (who is not only smart and creative but also so well versed with what is know that they didn't slip-up once with their crazy details) read UFF and then created this synopsis while sprinkling in some very Hollywood-like revisions while including things that fit all the details we know (including the very recent Doom revelations) and creating answers to questions I had difficulty imagining.

Or

2. Someone actually read and then posted a synopsis of a script draft.

Considering everything I know, I'm going with #2 as the most plausible scenario.

. . . Which sucks . . .

Last edited:
Actually Willie, this sounds so crazy that I'd bet anything that it's true. I hope this thing doesn't make $5 at the box office but I get the feeling this thing is going to make $100M and be hit.

Yeah, it fits with everything we have managed to find out about the film so far without it contradicting anything as far as I can see.

2. CGI characters are expensive, but this is clearly a low-budget effort. How can they do a CGI Thing on this budget?

A: Because he can change back to human through much of the film.

Remember when those criticizing Bell's casting were told it matters not that Jamie doesn't make a convincing former NYC street tough and ex college quarterback? Because he was going to spend most of the film in Thing form?

Good times.

Remember when those criticizing Bell's casting were told it matters not that Jamie doesn't make a convincing former NYC street tough and ex college quarterback? Because he was going to spend most of the film in Thing form?

Good times.

Yeah, and I was one of them. Oh to be young and ignorant again. :o

I like Jamie as an actor, but I could never get on board with that casting. To me that seemed like the worst casting out of all those names and what people should be labelling 'stunt casting' and not MBJ.

I wish Jamie all the best in his career, but I really can't picture him suiting the role in any shape or form.

Actually Willie, this sounds so crazy that I'd bet anything that it's true. I hope this thing doesn't make $5 at the box office but I get the feeling this thing is going to make $100M and be hit.

I don't see it. There's too much competition for people to spend their hard earned money on a rights grab, with two REAL Marvel films as competition that summer, both of which tie into the MCU, have big budgets and feature actual film stars.

What's the audience for FFINO? Long time fans will stay away in droves. It's not going to be geared towards kids or families, and Marvel won't allow for any tie in merchandise. Even casual fans that liked the Story films know that this ain't them. But it's going to push back the reversion timer, and that's FOX's main goal.

Good times.

I like Jamie as an actor, but I could never get on board with that casting. To me that seemed like the worst casting out of all those names and what people should be labelling 'stunt casting' and not MBJ.

I wish Jamie all the best in his career, but I really can't picture him suiting the role in any shape or form.

I recently watched Jamie Bell in Snowpiercer and I was not impressed. Not a very good actor in my opinion. Don't really buy his whole little tough guy act and there were moments when his acting seemed very forced. I thought Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton were great though.

I don't see it. There's too much competition for people to spend their hard earned money on a rights grab, with two REAL Marvel films as competition that summer, both of which tie into the MCU, have big budgets and feature actual film stars.

What's the audience for FFINO? Long time fans will stay away in droves. It's not going to be geared towards kids or families, and Marvel won't allow for any tie in merchandise. Even casual fans that liked the Story films know that this ain't them. But it's going to push back the reversion timer, and that's FOX's main goal.

Some of the GA will see it just because of the name and some fans will see it out of curiousity. There are some long time F4 who said they'd see it just to see if it's the train wreck that we all think it will be(I'm looking at you Willie and Kelly)which doesn't make sense because you are doing exactly what Fox and Michael B Jordan said you'd do. Again, I want this thing to bomb harder than I'd hit Miley Cyrus but I get the feeling that thing is going to do decent at the box office. Mark. My. Words.

Some of the GA will see it just because of the name and some fans will see it out of curiousity. There are some long time F4 who said they'd see it just to see if it's the train wreck that we all think it will be(I'm looking at you Willie and Kelly)which doesn't make sense because you are doing exactly what Fox and Michael B Jordan said you'd do. Again, I want this thing to bomb harder than I'd hit Miley Cyrus but I get the feeling that thing is going to do decent at the box office. Mark. My. Words.

A year ago, I was sure I would see this. Six months ago, I still figured I'd see it but I was fearing it wouldn't be very good.

At this point, unless something changes dramatically, you couldn't pay me to see it. This sounds like it will be such a slap in the face to the real FF that sitting through it will be an annoying, unpleasant experience - like Mathew
Broderick's Godzilla.

It's not about making a statement or punishing Fox or supporting Marvel over Fox . . . At this point it's about how unpleasant it will be to sit through a film that expresses such contempt for a property that was a big part of my childhood.

My curiosity won't be enough to overcome that unless Fox shows me this film will be very different than it currently appears to be.

Going to see it just to see if it is indeed the train wreck it's predicted to be is like sticking your hand in the fire to see if it does indeed get burnt.

I'm with Willie here. It is a complete slap in the face. I've sat through too many movies which were complete crap and had no respect for the source. Afterwards, I regretted it and knew it was a waste of money. I didn't even like Iron Man 3, and that had nowhere near as negative feeling about it as this film. I went into IM3 thinking it would be good but ended up disappointed, but that's different from knowing it will be bad and finding out it's even worse.

There will be some money from people seeing the Marvel logo on the trailers (assuming there is some sort of promotion for this film at some point) and assuming it's a marvel studios film.

I really want to see some footage for this. Still no word or speculation for a date for a trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"