The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL the Marvel and Star Wars Twitter exchange is priceless. One of the BEST geek/nerd moments ever!

Makes you wonder are these people just fooling around, or it's a news coming soon hint?

News already came that Marvel will be publishing Star Wars comic books starting in 2015.

You know what, I think it would detract from the character we know to have Luke in a beard. Yes, he could be a hermit, not be seen for ages, etc. But he's got this whole new discipline. I mean, he's the start of the new Jedi Order, so to speak.

He should be clean-shaven. Still working to look young and energetic at such an older age. Basically what he's doing now for the part. But to really see his youthfulness, you have to see his whole face.

My only theory about people (i.e. Fans) wanting him to hide the beard (before the weight loss) was to hide his double chin.

I just think it's a good look for the distinguished older Jedi. Guinness and McGregor both rocked one pretty well.

U73aDUt.jpg

McGregor looks more and more like Obi-Wan the older he gets... He looked so much like Alec in August: Osage County.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=848773&ocid=ansent11

Merry Christmas
Carrie Fisher has confirmed she will be reprising her role as Princess Leia in the upcoming "Star Wars: Episode VII."

Fisher, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill have been linked to returning roles in the J.J. Abrams' blockbuster for months and now the actress reveals all three will be back.

She tells TV Guide magazine the trio is expected to report to work in March or April. She says, "I'd like to wear my old hairstyle again -- but with white hair. I think that would be funny."

Earlier this week, Abrams confirmed he met with "Breaking Bad" star Jesse Plemons over a possible "Star Wars" role.

I love it if Hamill, Ford, and Fisher all return to the SW universe.

Since I've been gone for a few weeks, I'll keep things short:

1.Holy f**k, Mark looks amazing!

2.Regarding Obi's grand-daughter, sounds like hogwash. And non-white? Makes me wonder the same thing as Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm. Will they make Sue black as well, or will he be adopted? Technically they can make it work, but when a guy like me is asking so many questions over a simple casting choice... then it's probably a bad casting choice. If she's Lando's descendant, all good.

3.Boba Fett. Sounds fake as hell, and a desperate attempt at a joke to sweat people who liked the PT. Whatever Hunter Rider said, I agree with. And it's not an opinion, either. What he said is pure fact. A CRAPLOAD of double-standard regarding changes/retcons/tinkering with the mythos going on around here. The only way a terrible (from a basic storytelling POV) idea like this MIGHT work is if the protagonist finds the armour post-RotJ. And starts his "career" by calling himself Boba Fett and ends up finding his own footing/identity/some crap like that. Otherwise, whatever people accuse the PT of being, this spinoff is guilty of exactly the same thing and some here are finding it acceptable to genius cos Boba's accent/voice will be cool and raspy again (and the Man with No Name thing? It doesn't exist in the OT. It came from the EU, which is being disregarded. And do you know why Boba's Western archetype was established in the EU? Cos he was/sounded cool in the movies. See what I did there?). Which is as fanboy-ish as you get (and I thought I had seen it all). And you know why I accept midichlorians and not this rumour? Because, even though misguided, the former comes from a place of exploration/furthering. This one is pure laziness and fanboy pandering that frankly sounds more Whedon than Kasdan. I simply refuse to believe a great writer like him would do that instead of saying "Ok, imo George f**ked Boba in the PT, how can I bring him back?" and then have him DO things and SAY things and BE things that earn him his fan-favorite status of the OT. Taking the "change guys" path is so Goyer/Orci/Kurtzman/Penn and so not Kasdan, I'm surprised people here aren't calling out its BS-ness. Just my 2 cents. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry, I'm trying to express my thoughts in a way that doesn't sound as if I'm bashing any group of people (and I assure you, I don't intend to bash anyone over this). I believe some here genuinely like the idea (which I HEAVILY disagree with), but I guarantee that some are accepting it cos of their hate of anything PT.

4.The "big 3 have more prominent roles in Ep7" is a great thing, imo. The transition will be smoother. Keep in mind, I think ObiWan in ANH had a prominent enough role to make me pleased (regarding his screentime and involvement) after doing a PT marathon. And Vader, well, he's the main villain so I'm good. Padme's dead, so I'm also good. 'Tis good, I don't need old Luke/Han/Leia in every damn scene of Ep7 to make me happy, just (much) more than glorified cameos. Now, if the rumour that Arndt had Luke appear in the end of Ep7 is true, then good riddance. There's fanboy pandering and there's the other extreme, like fear of touching anything from the past and exploring it further ("Oh, Luke's journey is over, what are they going to do with him now? Reduce his screentime to almost nothing!"). If Arndt had the latter, bye-bye. In this case, one can have their cake and eat it, too. It's not hard to figure out.

5.Script done? YES! Plemons? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Last edited:
Wow he does look so ****ing good. Like...wtf? Like...he's serious about it isn't he? This is it guys, Luke Skywalker is back!

I hope John Williams gets scoring soon. How old is he? Is there a music thread here?

Last edited:
I hope John Williams gets scoring soon. How old is he? Is there a music thread here?
Well, they need to start shooting some stuff first lol. But i'm sure he'll be among the first ones in the know so he can get to composing some epic music :woot:. There's a SW music thread here (but it's for all movies): http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=453615. As far as episode 7's music, we've been talking here: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=400429&page=18

Mr. Williams will be 82 on February 8th. As Bim referenced, he won't begin scoring until he sees a rough cut of the film. I believe I read where he doesn't even like to read the script in advance.

Williams is still surprisingly youthful and insightful at his old age. I think it is because he's keeping busy and such.

Since I've been gone for a few weeks, I'll keep things short:

1.Holy f**k, Mark looks amazing!

2.Regarding Obi's grand-daughter, sounds like hogwash. And non-white? Makes me wonder the same thing as Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm. Will they make Sue black as well, or will he be adopted? Technically they can make it work, but when a guy like me is asking so many questions over a simple casting choice... then it's probably a bad casting choice. If she's Lando's descendant, all good.

3.Boba Fett. Sounds fake as hell, and a desperate attempt at a joke to sweat people who liked the PT. Whatever Hunter Rider said, I agree with. And it's not an opinion, either. What he said is pure fact. A CRAPLOAD of double-standard regarding changes/retcons/tinkering with the mythos going on around here. The only way a terrible (from a basic storytelling POV) idea like this MIGHT work is if the protagonist finds the armour post-RotJ. And starts his "career" by calling himself Boba Fett and ends up finding his own footing/identity/some crap like that. Otherwise, whatever people accuse the PT of being, this spinoff is guilty of exactly the same thing and some here are finding it acceptable to genius cos Boba's accent/voice will be cool and raspy again (and the Man with No Name thing? It doesn't exist in the OT. It came from the EU, which is being disregarded. And do you know why Boba's Western archetype was established in the EU? Cos he was/sounded cool in the movies. See what I did there?). Which is as fanboy-ish as you get (and I thought I had seen it all). And you know why I accept midichlorians and not this rumour? Because, even though misguided, the former comes from a place of exploration/furthering. This one is pure laziness and fanboy pandering that frankly sounds more Whedon than Kasdan. I simply refuse to believe a great writer like him would do that instead of saying "Ok, imo George f**ked Boba in the PT, how can I bring him back?" and then have him DO things and SAY things and BE things that earn him his fan-favorite status of the OT. Taking the "change guys" path is so Goyer/Orci/Kurtzman/Penn and so not Kasdan, I'm surprised people here aren't calling out its BS-ness. Just my 2 cents. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry, I'm trying to express my thoughts in a way that doesn't sound as if I'm bashing any group of people (and I assure you, I don't intend to bash anyone over this). I believe some here genuinely like the idea (which I HEAVILY disagree with), but I guarantee that some are accepting it cos of their hate of anything PT.

4.The "big 3 have more prominent roles in Ep7" is a great thing, imo. The transition will be smoother. Keep in mind, I think ObiWan in ANH had a prominent enough role to make me pleased (regarding his screentime and involvement) after doing a PT marathon. And Vader, well, he's the main villain so I'm good. Padme's dead, so I'm also good. 'Tis good, I don't need old Luke/Han/Leia in every damn scene of Ep7 to make me happy, just (much) more than glorified cameos. Now, if the rumour that Arndt had Luke appear in the end of Ep7 is true, then good riddance. There's fanboy pandering and there's the other extreme, like fear of touching anything from the past and exploring it further ("Oh, Luke's journey is over, what are they going to do with him now? Reduce his screentime to almost nothing!"). If Arndt had the latter, bye-bye. In this case, one can have their cake and eat it, too. It's not hard to figure out.

5.Script done? YES! Plemons? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
I agree about Obi-Wan in ANH. I think Alec Guiness was like THE star of the film when it came out, it's half his movie. Especially before the PT. But after doing a PT marathon, it blends very very very nicely. It's still about Obi-Wan and Anakin but now they hand it off to new peeps. The same should happen here.

You know if Plemmons is in, I can't but feel like I'll have to control myself the first time he appears on screen from shouting "F*** you, Todd!"

JJ Abrams: Hollywood's Renaissance man

Sci-fi visionary JJ Abrams tells Horatia Harrod about publishing his first novel and breathing new life into 'Star Wars’

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10592356/JJ-Abrams-Hollywoods-Renaissance-man.html

“Star Wars is in every way a different animal. It’s always been a more open, fan-engaged universe than I’ve been used to, so I’m sure there’ll be some sort of compromise. But it feels to me like there’s a purity in not knowing every little thing.”

That was a great interview btw. The journalist mentioned how down to earth and modest JJ is as a person.

so any new juicy rumors, gossip, or.....gasp......news?

Once the shoot gets closer, we'll know more for sure. Look at Avengers 2 or even Batman/Superman.

But then again, this is JJ we're talking about.

And JJ is aware of his faults:

Before the release of last year’s Star Trek Into Darkness, Abrams tried to keep secret the identity of the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch – something he now regrets. “We were trying to preserve the unexpected for the audience, but it came across as if we were trying to be too clever,” he says.

Ya he said that months ago as well. And that's what Magnar's quote was about. He understands that SW is also a different beast, and he has to be more open with the fans, and not his secretive self.

I can imagine that in every webisode for Episode VII JJ stars in he'll speak through seething teeth and sweat dripping from his forehead, as he reluctantly shows off filming snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"