Gotham Season 1, Episode 6 "Spirit of the Goat" General Discussion

Discussion in 'Gotham' started by Sawyer, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Kane52630 Timmverse User

For whatever reason people expect Edward to be a normal dude who accidentally went into a vat of riddles thus turning him into the Riddler. :o

2. The Shape In the shadows

Taking a plunge into a vat of riddles must be an enlightening experience.

3. Silliminite Symbol Of Hope

I want some really good riddles from him. His 'wolf, goat and cabbage' riddle in this episode was pathetic, or maybe I didn't get the underlying meaning. :oldrazz:

4. declan Registered

I agree with you, but I must admit I blanched at the scenes with Ms. Kringle. Heck, the whimsical music during the longer scene was driving me crazy: it telegraphed goofiness and I don't want this show doing this kind of stuff to "lighten up" the show. I liked that Nygma has a measure of respect from Bullock that was not revealed before.

I know they're doing a "slow-burn" with Nygma and it's reminiscent of the mid to late '70's and early '80s in the comics.

For a long while Riddler was kind of a silly villain. Robin was his true nemesis because Bats didn't really worry about him too much. That all changed with Hush, but I think that's why they're building the character they way they are.

5. Frodo Registered

This Nygma is annoying to me at least, and I've never found the character annoying. Over the top yes, but never wanted him off the screen before. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't make it for me regardless of the intentions of the writers. It may be how he's being directed, but whatever it is they're doing, it ain't working for me.

Then again , aside from the ending , I really didn't think the episode was all that good so its not like Nygma was the deciding factor for all of the like 5 minutes of total time he was in it. He didn't make the difference, but didn't help it either.

6. Sawyer High King

Thank God I'm not the only one thinking like this.

7. Bwahaha! Feminine Divine

so the first ep, i was thinking this could be a fun ride, i'm in for now. and with each additional ep, i found myself liking the show more, the characters and noir tone kept growing on me. then...

this week's spirit of the goat was just amazing. seriously, really. from the penguin's continuing brilliant character arc to using selina just enough to make us crave more, to reinforcing bruce's budding detective skills by showing us his impressive evidence wall (again)...and now the feud between gordon and bullock just revved into high gear.

this was the first time i can honestly say i'd want to watch this series even if it wasn't batman-related. i can't wait for next week's installment. this show has found its legs and i'm def sticking around for what's next.

8. The Shape In the shadows

[​IMG]

9. The Shape In the shadows

Alrighty then.

10. SomeOldGuy Registered

Just got done with this episode and it's the first time I've said "WOW!" Easily the best episode yet. Bullock finally gets some fleshing out, which was much-needed; he's been way too one dimensional. Barbara is finally something other than a prop, though still far from a fully realized character. Great creepy villain with a good combo of action and intellect needed to crack the case. And finally we're getting to a climax of some of the movement set up earlier. Only sour note for me was kitty girl. Just not buying it. But overall glad I stuck with it.

11. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Great episode, and I totally loled when Nygma smelled miss Cringle :woot:

12. Frodo Registered

Tru dat. I did like the end though, so next week's looks like next week could be pretty good.

13. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

This was a pretty interesting episode.

Does anyone know what Selina stole?

14. shauner111 Registered

Watching it now. Towards the end...and i feel like this is just a filler episode.

"Holy Ghost on a bicycle" people are being paid to write lines like that. Think about that for a second lol.

A couple of Bullocks lines did make me laugh out loud though.

Penguins mom is perfect. Perfect casting. Looking forward to Cobblepot's evolution.

Goat man..wow..creative villain..

15. Kane52630 Timmverse User

just as creative as Man Bat or any number of villains...

16. shauner111 Registered

I agree. Man-Bat is not creative.

Just finished it, Bullock is AMAZING. "I didnt shoot Cobblepot!"......"..OF COURSE YOU DIDNT PARTNER!"

I say this after every episode and ill keep doing it, Penguin/The Mob/GCPD (minus Nygma) keeps me watching every week. And i would do almost anything to have these characters in a Gotham series that just focused on them, changed their writers, but kept the design.

OK fine, i wont say it every week, but it pops in my head every single time i watch a new episode.

#66 shauner111, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  17. blksuperman2 Deadly Akuma

It's funny, while watching the show I can hear all of the groans every time Nygma's on-screen but I actually like the character. He's so awkward and socially inept that you can understand him spiraling out of control. I seriously don't have a problem w/ him at all.

Selina on the other hand. Maybe it's because she's so young is why I have a problem w/ her. The not-so subtle head turns and cat-like movements annoy me.

Like I've said in previous episodes, Bullock is really growing on me and you can see how Gotham has turned him into the cynic he's become.

18. SomeOldGuy Registered

Love him or hate him, Nygma is at least organic to the show. He has a role within the narrative that makes it logical for him to be on screen interacting with Bullock and Gordon. And I like how he's a subtle shot at similar awkward, nebbishy characters who crop up in typical cop and detective dramas, usually so they can be part of some romantic subplot with another minor character. Nygma's going to find his true love, all right, but it's not going to be nerdy file girl...

OTOH Selina is just annoying. Someone mentioned how being Catwoman and acting like a cat are two different things and I think that's dead-on. She creeps around in look at me I'm a cat isn't that cool mode, complete with goggle ears in case you missed the obvious. It's just stupid and needs to stop.

19. shauner111 Registered

I've always hated Nygma. I was really happy Nolan didn't use him and ill be happier if he's only referenced in the solo Batman film with Affleck. This Gotham version was shoehorned in from the get-go, but now they're giving him something to do besides peek his head into an office and make a lousy riddle. But the actor is doing his job. He's Edward Nygma, i admit. I just find the character annoying, so naturally i think this guy is as well.

I can't stand seeing Selina on screen. I think it definitely has to do with the actresses' age. She's very young and probably thinks she's super cool cuz she's playing an iconic character. You know how we are when we're young. If i got a chance to play a superhero at age 12, 13 whatever, i would be hamming it up without noticing. It would look forced because i would be a kid. It doesn't help that they're directing her to pose and leap around like a cat, make faces. It's all very eye-rolling.

The worst decision this show-runner ever made was to tap into the kid versions of these heroes & villains. Young-adult? 20-something? Sure. It's working for Penguin. It may start working for Riddler, even though i dont care for it. But the kid stuff, including little Poison Ivy, was just a horrible idea.

The second sin they made is the emphasis, each episode, on some random made-up killer. It makes this show lose focus. It's a distraction from the main plot involving the mob and nothing but filler.

This. A million times over. It's one of the worst things i've seen in Batman related live-action. I don't even know why she's on the show.

20. Frodo Registered

They kind of have the problem that they have one of the great rogues ever with the Batman rogues at their disposal but they can't really use alot of them because Batman hasn't arrived yet. Smalliville didn't have that problem because the majority of Superman's rogues weren't directly related to Superman having to exist in order to justify their existence.

Gotham has Penguin who's the closest and maybe Ras, but he's already on Arrow, so they have to come up with the freak of the week type baddies. I actually wouldn't mind if they did use some of Batman's lesser known to the GA, rogues from the comics and start sprinkling them in. Its clear they aren't going the whole , "Every villain is a reaction to Batman" route, and they aren't beholden to the comics, so I wouldn't mind if we saw some lesser but bigger bads like Black Mask, Reaper/The Phantasm, Clayface, Scar Face , even Mad Hatter pre- Batman's arrival . I'd even be down for Man Bat but that may be out of the budget of the series.

21. Naked Shia Greece is the best coutry

I've been liking this series since the pilote, and each episode makes me love it even more.

Like I already said, it has its own unique identity, it's visually interesting, the serialization is great, most of the actors are really great.

This episode was simply awesome, especially the ending.

22. Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

I'll be adopting that line for daily use.

#72 Duran Man, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  23. ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

This was a great episode all around, and gives me a lot of hope for the future of the show. The Bullock / Gordon dynamic is really a lot of fun.

I was a bit confused by Selina sneaking around Wayne Manor. Not sure what she was doing there. Seemed a bit random.

24. Zordan Registered

this is the best episode yet... this show is improving... finally Im hyped for next one.

25. Naked Shia Greece is the best coutry

every show needs some time to find its footing.