Halloween Movies Thread... - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definitely argue against your point. You mean making the mysterious horror hulk an emotionally abused brat of a broken home, is not the most unoriginal idea for such a horror icon? Its almost pathetic.

Unoriginal, but probably the most likely scenario. I'm not saying the movie was great or anything. I just didn't hate it like most people did.

I honestly have always thought the Thorn angle softened Michael in the worst way. First he goes from the boogeyman to Laurie's sister and Jamie's uncle and then from there he's just a pawn in someone else's plan. I've always believed the character works best when he's virtually a blank slate...no family, no curses, just Michael stalking and hunting down those that strike his interest the most.

But I will agree about having a soft spot for H6 because of Paul Rudd. I thought he did just fine in the movie, just a shame the rest of the film doesn't match up.
I thought they did this as a means to figure out a supernatural way of constantly bringing him back to life. Just like the ridiculous way Jason came back in part 6.

I would definitely argue against your point. You mean making the mysterious horror hulk an emotionally abused brat of a broken home, is not the most unoriginal idea for such a horror icon? Its almost pathetic.

Zombie's versions had the misfortune of following two great Halloween classics. Had the original and its sequel not existed it would've been a great horror film and it's not a bad either, it just had some bad luck trying to follow up two classics.

Well said, Zombie went down the obvious route. Instead I’d trying to do something interesting he went with his usual hick crap about a kid from the wrong family. Yawn!

I thought they did this as a means to figure out a supernatural way of constantly bringing him back to life. Just like the ridiculous way Jason came back in part 6.

Except it was more absurd. At least with Jason Lives the director realized that bringing him back to life with lightning was a bit goofy but didn't go out of his way to make it worse. Plus it helps that F13th part six is an infinitely superior film to H6 in every way imaginable.

With Jason, the lightning made him Frankenstein-esque and paved the way for him to be able to be even more of a hulking beast than before. With Michael, the Thorn angle only further neutered a character that had already been hurt by a family angle as well as various other instances (i.e crying in H5).

Zombie's versions had the misfortune of following two great Halloween classics. Had the original and its sequel not existed it would've been a great horror film and it's not a bad either, it just had some bad luck trying to follow up two classics.

Imo, there's really nothing classic about HII. It's the total opposite of the original in that it lacks depth, suspense, good characterization and everything else. Hell, for the most part the original HII is boring as hell. Its main character literally does nothing but lie in a hospital bed for the duration of the film.

And let's not forget Dick Warlock's absolutely abysmal performance as Michael. The character went from moving in a graceful manner that was creepy and unsettling to being a Terminator knock-off in a Halloween mask.

Well said, Zombie went down the obvious route. Instead I’d trying to do something interesting he went with his usual hick crap about a kid from the wrong family. Yawn!

Thank you. What a waste of our & the studio's time on what could have been something out of the box, we got a yawn fest with unoriginal ideas.

One thing I haven't thought about before: I wonder if the actor under the mask this time around will be age appropriate. Michael would be in his early 60s at this point. And if the movie really is playing on the angle that the first film is the only one that's canon, and therefore he hasn't been in full unkillable Terminator mode for decades on end... will it just be a sixty-something man in a white mask?

If we're going to be age appropriate with Michael, I say we let Kane Hodder have a go at playing the character. He's always wanted to do it and is the perfect age to pull it off. Not to mention he loves the character & I've always wondered what he'd do with Michael Myers if given the opportunity.

The movies still would have sucked, whether they were trying to live up to the originals or not. Michael would still be a white trash hobo psycho. Laurie would still be irritating. Loomis would still be an a-hole sell out cashing in on a murderer's fame etc. It just makes it worse that these crap movies are based off really great movies.

The character went from moving in a graceful manner that was creepy and unsettling to being a Terminator knock-off in a Halloween mask.

Since HII predates Terminator, that criticism doesn't make any sense.

I love Kane but he doesn’t move right for Michael. I’d probably be happy if they cast him just cause I’d be happy with Kane but I think given they’re wanting to do Sequel to the first one then they need someone who is more like Nick Castle.

Kane's a bit too large for my liking.

The movies still would have sucked, whether they were trying to live up to the originals or not. Michael would still be a white trash hobo psycho. Laurie would still be irritating. Loomis would still be an a-hole sell out cashing in on a murderer's fame etc. It just makes it worse that these crap movies are based off really great movies.

It doesn't matter if it predates Terminator, I can still make the comparison and it is absolutely valid. Stop constantly trying to validate your intelligence by looking for arguments. :o

Anyway, I can understand your point, you guys. Hodder's build is quite different from what the Shape was in the original. But, that aside, he isn't overly huge. He's 6'3 and fairly muscular, but I don't think it's excessive to the point that it'd be distracting.

As for his movement, Hodder has very good range when it comes to knowing how to move his body and what not. I mean, to his credit, he perfectly replicated every Jason for the video game. It takes skill to be able to perfectly do that when each of the actors had their own distinctive way of moving and style so I'm sure he could nail Myers if it came down to it.

But, again, I totally understand where you guys are coming from.

It doesn't matter if it predates Terminator, I can still make the comparison and it is absolutely valid. Stop constantly trying to validate your intelligence by looking for arguments. :o

That's rich coming from someone who's been put on probation for such a thing.

You're not making a comparison. You called it a knockoff. It cannot be a knockoff of something that did not even exist yet. That is a fact. There is no argument to be made on that point. Stop constantly invalidating your own intelligence by making such nonsensical criticisms.

If I wanted to start an argument with you, which is so easy for anyone to do when it comes to you, I'd point out that comparing Michael to the Terminator, one of cinema's greatest villains that creepily mimicked human behaviour, is a compliment not a criticism.

Last edited:
Happy Halloween everybody!

halloween-banner.jpg

I don't do this too often but 1000% agreed on everything you said :up:

Finally an October/Halloween release date for a Halloween film.

Was Halloween 5 the last one that was released in October?

In the US at least, yeah.

In the UK - Halloween H20, Resurrection and Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 were all released in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"