Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 3

Same :up:

Someone said they thought it sounded really out of place, but I really liked it. It lead us in a flashback really nicely, and not only that, wouldn't Chris Cornell, Soundgarden (his band) and grunge in general from the early 90's be when that flashback would have taken place? So the song choice didn't just fit the tone of what we were seeing, it was representing the time period of the flash back.

Sounded like aomething that belonged in a Smallville ep., but that's Snyder for you. You wouldn't dare hear something like this if Nolan had directed.

Sounded like aomething that belonged in a Smallville ep., but that's Snyder for you. You wouldn't dare hear something like this if Nolan had directed.

Nolan would have ruined MOS completely. Nolan can't direct a fight scene to save his life. He made Batman look weak and nonathletic, and the ending of The Dark Knight Rises was pathetically sentimental and corny (Bruce Wayne having lunch). So lame that Nolan. Hopefully Snyder's dynamic revolutionary deliverance will lead to a more action-packed Batman franchise too.

Nolan would have ruined MOS completely. Nolan can't direct a fight scene to save his life. He made Batman look weak and nonathletic, and the ending of The Dark Knight Rises was pathetically sentimental and corny (Bruce Wayne having lunch). So lame that Nolan. Hopefully Snyder's dynamic revolutionary deliverance will lead to a more action-packed Batman franchise too.

Easy there. I don't want to turn this into Nolan's Batman. And I wasn't suggesting that Nolan should 've directed MOS or a Superman movie in general. I was only pointing out that Nolan wouldn't have thrown in a song (no matter how good it was to some people) just for the sake of it, which I felt Snyder did with the "Seasons" song, imho. That's one of the very few things I like about Nolan's approach to the soundtrack in his films. His approach with the scoring in his films is another story. Anyways there wasn't any point for that song to be there in MOS, imo. I don't think it was playing in the background from someone's jukebox either. It was just there for the sake of it. It made that moment (for me) feel like something that belonged in a Smallville episode.

I feel like MOS directed by Nolan would be BETTER but less satisfying for me. And I would be roasted alive for daring to speak against it.

As for Zimmer's music, it's too loud and a bit repetitive. On the other hand, I feel like his main theme is better than the Batman one.

Ok I'm going to say something controversial, if Flight is the main theme for MOS then I like it much better than the John Williams's theme.

There's nothing controversial about being blind-spankingly tone deaf ;)

Going to be interesting having Zimmer score two different Batmans.

"Seasons" was a nice touch that totally worked for me.

I adore the 'WAYGTDWYANSTW?' variations in 'Man of Steel: Han's Sketchbook'. Especially during 13.25 to 14.10. Has a rustic vibe to it.

Easy there. I don't want to turn this into Nolan's Batman. And I wasn't suggesting that Nolan should 've directed MOS or a Superman movie in general. I was only pointing out that Nolan wouldn't have thrown in a song (no matter how good it was to some people) just for the sake of it, which I felt Snyder did with the "Seasons" song, imho. That's one of the very few things I like about Nolan's approach to the soundtrack in his films. His approach with the scoring in his films is another story. Anyways there wasn't any point for that song to be there in MOS, imo. I don't think it was playing in the background from someone's jukebox either. It was just there for the sake of it. It made that moment (for me) feel like something that belonged in a Smallville episode.
have you actually listened to the song Seasons by Soundgarden???
Summer nights and long warm days
Are stolen as the old moon falls
My mirror shows another face
Another place to hide it all
Another place to hide it all

And I'm lost, behind
The words I'll never find
And I'm left behind
As seasons roll on by
Now I want to fly above the storm
But you can't grow feathers in the rain
And the naked floor is cold as hell
This naked floor reminds me
Oh the naked floor reminds me

If I should be short on words
And long on things to say
Could you crawl into my world
And take me worlds away
Should I be beside myself
And not even stay
the song is about loneliness and finding your place in the world and being an outcast the song is very big on depression

and the point in clark's life the song is played it makes perfect sense

Last edited:
It's not like Zack is the first person to do this to a superhero movie: [YT]nL8hVXSDmNM[/YT]

Heck, Superman:TM TRIED to do this before they realized that Margot couldn't sing. I always make toast when the poetry starts, though ;)

Oh, and no offense but as much as I love his music, that John Williams re-score was terribly cheesy. Lol, it had no place in this movie.

True, John Williams' brilliant music doesn't fully fit in with Snyder's mediocre directing style. If Snyder ever ups his game, he may one day be worthy.

the superman/batman announcement really brought all the trolls back didn't it?

Your off your rocker....the Batman Trilogy is one of the best film sets to debut this past decade.

Sorry but MOS is off to a rocky start. It felt like Transformers minus the robots. Im not saying I disliked it enuff to leave the theatre...but its not an instant classic. It was too fast lacked character build up...and left an empty feeling.

Zimmer however did outstanding work as usual...and his scores showed elements of the old Williams in it...which I thought was gracious of him.

The seasons song had a very awkward feeling thrown into the movie but it was tolerable but barely.

MOS plays like as if it was fast forwarded. Its trilogy strenght vs Batmans is already debateable as Batman begins had much fewer flaws.

Again though Zimmer was flawless the man and his work will be legendary well beyond his years.

"MOS is off to a rocky start."

I agree. I think the movie has its merits, but is very divisive, somewhat uneven, and oddly paced. MOS2 has a lot it needs to do to "raise' the reputation of MOS.

Ok I'm going to say something controversial, if Flight is the main theme for MOS then I like it much better than the John Williams's theme.

2:55 in Flight is incredible. I've had this score on repeat for weeks now. Who knows where I'll stand a year from now, but right now, I prefer it slightly to Williams' theme.

True, John Williams' brilliant music doesn't fully fit in with Snyder's mediocre directing style. If Snyder ever ups his game, he may one day be worthy.

original.gif

Not using Williams' music was a bold decision, though this film still could've done with a better, less stripped-down score. :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"