Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 3

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Jun 8, 2013.

1. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

2. Black Light

Black Light Active Member

To be honest, I still miss the fanfare. Flight is powerful but for a Superman theme, it lacks the heroic and patriotic feel that Williams gave our boy. Any thoughts?

3. A Necessary Evil

[YT]0wAAnQqRq6A[/YT]

4. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

5. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I'm listening to the score now for the first time (well the first time I've had a proper listen) outside of the movie and I have to say I think this is Zimmers best work. Its amazing.

6. charl_huntress

charl_huntress Well-Known Member

Yeah, the score has really grown on me and I'll likely purchase this. The music does a lot for the movie and the more you watch it the more the sound sticks with you.

7. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Definitely :up: I think my favourite piece other than the main theme is the music when Lois and Jor El are moving around the black zero. Its very 80s/Sci Fi.

8. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Yeah ! I noticed that too, almost has a similar vibe (although a bit less OTT) to some of the action music from the old Flash Gordon movie (Queen did the music). I think Zimmer was going for a real retro sound there.

The battle of Smallville music was highly effective in accentuating the action, particularly Faora annihilating those soldiers, and Supes big punch
    up with Nam Ek.

"Flight" was pretty magical, (best scene in the film) got the pacing just right between Jor El's voice over and the sound effects. Nice work Zimmer, very nice.

As for me, the best piece of music to come out of the film was the "new" Superman theme, whether it's the short version from "An Ideal of Hope" or the full on End credits (What are you going to do when you're not saving the world ?). Gets me every time, the very essence of a heroic theme, perfect for the greatest ever superhero.
    Would have actually liked to hear a bit more of it in the film, probably my only criticism of the score.
    that's IMO.

9. charl_huntress

charl_huntress Well-Known Member

That's a good piece too, and it flows nicely into the rescue scene where Supes saves Lois in the pod.

I'm not really a fan of Zimmerman and the music didn't really stand out at first, but it grows on you for sure.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

For anyone else who has the soundtrack, what's the name of the musical piece that's on the Escape from Black Zero scene. You know when Lois and Jor El team up as I mentioned above.

I love that piece of music sounds like something from the 80s but I don't know if I'm missing it or it isn't there as I never notice it when I listen to the score.

11. JTStarkiller

JTStarkiller Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's not on the official score. I loved that part too. I would absolutely rebuy if a complete score was released.

12. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Man that's really gutting, I was hoping I'd just missed or something :csad:

13. manofsteel4life

manofsteel4life Well-Known Member

Yea there was a lot of us hunting down that piece when MOS first came out...lol....I wonder why HZ decided to leave that out

14. A Necessary Evil

I was disappointed in him not releasing that, also the ''Lois Investigates" theme. Really liked that.

15. Batmannerism

Yo Super-fans !

If you liked Zimmer's work, check out this remix
    besides it's overall awesomeness, there's an amazing transition from "Look to the stars" to "Flight" to the Main title. That alone makes it
    simply sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joQWMecJmDk

This is the best remix I've heard to date, been using it to get psyched
    up at work and when working around the house. It is pure awesomeness.

cheers :super:

16. Harley2004

Harley2004 Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. That John Williams type of a score is for a silver -age Superman, not this one. I think Hans Zimmer's score for this movie is better than any he put out for the Batman movies. So many of the action scenes I don't think would've been any where near as effective without it.

Also props to Snyder, for this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=RpEzPBzJRLo

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  17. Super Kal

Super Kal Proud Conservative

i think each theme gives its own feel... when i first heard the theme that was used in the third MOS trailer, where we first heard actual music from the movie- the driving drums and horns- i immediately felt like i was watching the superbowl, watching the home team run onto the field, with fireworks and an American flag or two waving behind them...

18. Batmannerism

Yes ! I totally thought that, it had such an 80's sci-fi vibe. It reminded me of that old Flash Gordon movie from 1980.

Glad someone else caught that.

:super: