BvS Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, one of my favourite scenes in the movie was on the rooftop when Superman is

on his knees and Lex has revealed he has Martha. When he roars at Lex, with his eyes glowing red, that was the first time I've thought that Cavill's Superman is terrifying when he's angry.

It also fitted well with the whole 'demon' analogy Lex had just used, described Martha as a witch because she was the mother of a demon.

I must admit I wasn't too fond of Superman mimicking the dark knight'so "WHERE ARE THEY?!" moments

I must admit I wasn't too fond of Superman mimicking the dark knight'so "WHERE ARE THEY?!" moments

Surely you don't think that was a deliberate mimick?

If the script has the words "Where is she" and you're supposed to be enraged...how does one deliver that line differently?

Surely you don't think that was a deliberate mimick?

If the script has the words "Where is she" and you're supposed to be enraged...how does one deliver that line differently?

The delivery is almost an exact replica. I don't like the idea of Superman completely losing control and threatening to torch someone

When a super powered alien becomes completely unhinged that's when I think people have a right to fear him, and that shouldn't be the case

The delivery is almost an exact replica. I don't like the idea of Superman completely losing control and threatening to torch someone

When a super powered alien becomes completely unhinged that's when I think people have a right to fear him, and that shouldn't be the case

...You're one of those annoying people who wants Superman to be an automaton devoid of emotion and, ironically, humanity it seems.

When someone's mother is being threatened with death by flamethrower and they don't become unhinged, that's concerning.

I just want them to give Superman a chance to shine. It feels like he's the sixth man off the bench. WW and Bats have essentially stolen the spotlight in what was supposed to be a Superman sequel. Not even hating though. Good for them. But when Superman is the guy that took a nuke to the face and got killed for humanity you'd think the media would at least be talking about his return. SMH.

...You're one of those annoying people who wants Superman to be an automaton devoid of emotion and, ironically, humanity it seems.

When someone's mother is being threatened with death by flamethrower and they don't become unhinged, that's concerning.

Don't put words in my mouth, and have some respect.

Because I don't want superman acting like an unhinged angry hulk I don't want him to show emotion? Quite the opposite, I'd like more emotion since he didn't emote much other than angst in the entire film

I love when Supermans eyes glowed. Out of curiousity. I wonder if Supes was really gonna kill Lex in that scene. Or just trying to be threatening.

Don't put words in my mouth, and have some respect.

Because I don't want superman acting like an unhinged angry hulk I don't want him to show emotion? Quite the opposite, I'd like more emotion since he didn't emote much other than angst in the entire film

He reacted like a normal human being would, which despite his ridiculous powers, at his heart, he is.

I just want them to give Superman a chance to shine. It feels like he's the sixth man off the bench. WW and Bats have essentially stolen the spotlight in what was supposed to be a Superman sequel. Not even hating though. Good for them. But when Superman is the guy that took a nuke to the face and got killed for humanity you'd think the media would at least be talking about his return. SMH.

The films have not yet made the GA care about Superman. Re-popularize him. I thought that was the original idea. So tacking on DOA is pointless as too few care about the character. Schnepp is a huge Superman fan and was not moved by the ending. That says a lot IMO.

Listen to Snyder on Collider. They had to figure out a way to get Superman out of the way so Bats could form the league. They tossed around ideas and came up with this.

As to WW being the big takeaway from BvS look no further than her characterization. She smiles, she is interesting and intriguing, she is selfless - compare to how Superman has been portrayed in MOS and BvS. The ending of BvS aside.

This version of Superman does not appear to be working. That was the gist of many complaints against MOS. A course correction to me seems a no-brainer. But that is JMHO.

BTW, by course correction/change in characterization/portrayal I am not calling for a return to the Donner vision. Just to be clear.

Last edited:
I am discouraged about this too. The death was wasted as it carried little emotional impact IMO. As there was no build-up. WB needed to re-popularize Superman again first before doing DOS IMO. Supposedly MOS was meant to reignite interest but written as it was it failed to do that.

The GA responded to Batfleck and Gadot's WW. WB/Snyder could well use GA response in tweaking the JL1 script. It could mean even less Superman than is in there now. And already Snyder's outline of JL1 makes it sound like there won't be all that much.
I think it's an unfortunate coincidence...

Batman is Batman. People give him attention no matter what because it makes them look cool.

WW trending is a mixer of people seeing her on the big screen for the first time and all the feminists saw this as an opportunity to promote female SH. They feel like adding her character to the positive lists because as much as people want to criticize the movie they DO want to see more of her.

Superman is the victim of his own iconic status. Even with the death nobody believe he's gone for good because he's too iconic to be left out of the team. People who like him don't feel the need to prop him up because they don't think such character would need that. GA have no idea of the personal bias towards Batman behind the scene. They have no idea he could be robbed of his canonical role in JL.

I hope they'd try to give the character time to shine instead of giving up on the character though. Batman fanbase can't get any stronger. WW is still a wildcard. If they want to reconcile with the pissed off Superman fans there won't be a better chance than this.

Last edited:
Having listened to Snyder's Collider interview (he comes off a bit too arrogant in it IMO) and some of his comments it seems this way to me.

The original plan was for a Superman trilogy. An epic saga with one film leading to the next. And Jor-El's words playing out. As I recall Cavill hinted at that back in the day.

Plans obviously changed. Batman brought in and BvS became basically a Batman/pre-JL film and now of course there is JL1.

These changes pushed whatever epic plans they had for Supes to the side is my guess.

Hopefully when Supes is seen in JL1, even if it is a smallish amount, Cavill will get to be that classic Superman he and fans want to see.

But by not wrapping up what they started WB would lose the chance to sell them as a trilogy. MOS made quite impressive bucks on DVD/BR sales so by making it a part of a trilogy they would have another chance to boost up the sales instead of detaching it from the main event.

Having said that, with Zimmer gone can they still use his Superman scores for JL? It'd be a shame if they can't.

Last edited:
Having said that, with Zimmer gone can they still use his Superman scores for JL? It'd be a shame if they can't.

They can, and likely will, but they have to pay him royalties for doing so. Zimmer is smart. He goes on sabbatical or goes on tour and he's still getting that studio money.

Sigh....I miss the days when this thread was just about ogling Cavill.

Anybody got any photos/gifs that could take us back to those days?

Here ya go.

giphy.gif

Henry Cavill is dreamy. He's gorgeous and he comes across as absolutely charming in interviews (and I thought he was very charismatic in The Man From U.N.C.L.E.).

It's a shame that his Superman isn't so dreamy and charming. I don't blame Cavill for that at all. It's all on WB and Snyder.

Now this I can help with! *pulls open shirt* This is a job for...er, Miss Lois Lane! :woot:

NDzWAOG.gif

U7n1Kt4.gif

1x0tK23.gif

CJCZig3.gif

That's the most frustrating thing. If Cavill was just allowed to be himself he would automatically be the perfect Superman. The way he is in interviews is the way I've always imagined Superman to be.

Thanks Miss Lois and LamboMan. Dang, he's so fine.

I think it's an unfortunate coincidence...

Batman is Batman. People give him attention no matter what because it's make them look cool.

WW trending is a mixer of people seeing her on the big screen for the first time and all the feminists saw this as an opportunity to promote female SH. They feel like adding her character to the positive lists because as much as people want to criticize the movie they DO want to see more of her.

Superman is the victim of his own iconic status. Even with the death nobody believe he's gone for good because he's too iconic to be left out of the team. People who like him don't feel the need to prop him up because they don't think such character would need that. GA have no idea of the personal bias towards Batman behind the scene. They have no idea he could be robbed of his canonical role in JL.

I hope they'd try to give the character time to shine instead of giving up on the character though. Batman fanbase can't get any stronger. WW is still a wildcard. If they want to reconcile with the pissed off Superman fans there won't be a better chance than this.

Until JL1 comes out who knows if WB lets him shine or effectively gives up.

Either way, it is IMO an inflection point. The character needs fixing based on reaction to the two recent films is how I see it.

If it were me I'd say well, the GA response has been not enthusiastic to big screen Supes in a decade. Might it not be time to try something different?
But that is just me.

Last edited:
^^ there are artists on Tumblr who are amazingly talented.

Getting back to lowering the tone...

bImKpC3.jpg

vHupSum.jpg

I wouldn't say he became completely unhinged. He had a moment of intense anger towards one psychotic man. If he'd been completely unhinged, Lex would be burnt to a crisp. I liked that scene. Yes, he became justifiably angry, but he was able to get control.

Amazing art. These two are my favorite version of Clois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"