Comics How would you guys have got rid of MJ if JOe Q forced you to do it?

I would just have them seperate plain and simple. No mind wiping, no erasing, no cop out.

It's all just a pointless sales tactic, becasue they will only get back together eventually.
So I would keep the fall out as simple as possible (if I was forced to write it) for when they do reunite.
Of course, JQ don't want that to ever happen. That is why he is making it so contrived.
Who would want to read a comic where you can't count on anything?
MJ is one of the things you can count on in Spidey comics.

Peter's life up to this point is nothing more than a fabrication of his dreams. In a future issue Peter will wake up one morning where it is revealed that Gwen survived and is now his wife. While MJ on the other hand is married to, of all people, Nick Katzenberg :cwink: Hey, it could happen (in Judy Tenuta voice).

elrey.jpg

Joe Quesada

Joe Queseda. Down with the B****es and ho's.

i would pull a fight club and make her a figment of his mind and that she was never there.

or

pull a Dallas and have her run over by a car.

MJ reveals to Peter that she slept with JQ once. Peter wants a divorce.

Hmmm.... There's just sooooo many awesome ways. It's hard to pick just one.

-Waves at the MJ lovers-

ANYWAY, (1) you could have MJ sleep with someone and then have him find out (like someone else said) but the problem with this is that good old Peter would just blame himself for not being there for her. He would then forgive her and blah, blah, blah.... I'm vomiting five minutes later. Okay, so that idea is basically out.

(2) You could have MJ fall in love with someone else. All you need to do is throw her a guy that will always be around to cater to her needs so that eventually she'll leave Peter. I could actually see this happening since she suxs at dealing with the stress from being a superheroe's wife. I personally like this option since it'll make Peter realize who he really belongs with...

*wink, wink* Come on... Felicia understands what it's like to do the hero thing. You all know it's true. Oh and for those of you who still believe that she's only in love with the mask... Well, allow me to direct you towards issue one of The Evil That Men Do. Read that. She ADMITS she was wrong back then.

3) You can kill MJ. Ugh, but I doubt that it would stick because of the movies and you MJ lovers. *vomits a little* Besides, I'm sure anyone who is anyone, already knows that killing off MJ would send Peter into a suicidal depression and no one wants that.

4) A simple divorce. Perhaps the stress of everything finally gets to MJ so she decides to just leave him? I don't really care for that. Peter would just end up trying to win her back and then she'll either "love" him again or tell him to get his stalker ass away from her. The latter would probably make him emo.......

5) The memory thingy. It's actually a pretty cool idea but just watch, something will trigger his damn memory to come back. The only way that I could actually feel safe with this one is if they gave MJ a life. You know, made her some big actress with a famous husband. Even if Peter gets his memory back, he's not going to want to ruin things for her. She'll finally have the life that he could NEVER give her.

There's more options but I'm getting sleepy and my face is hurting from all this smiling. I'm stuck between options two and five.

I say ditch the redhead and bring back the platinum blonde. Besides, don't you boys love the vinyl? Has MJ ever worn anything like that for you? Huh? Huh?

Yeah, exactly.

Ideally I would have spidey have a baby come out of the woodworks and this would affect him in one of two ways...

either the baby is actually his daughter norman stole away from him and have her come back and MJ just thinks with his identity out, she's too easy pickings and asks peter to go into hiding with them and he does but openly jepoardises them and she leaves him.

or my personal favourite...

a child she had on pete's when she was in london comes out of the woodwork and comes back to stay with her fathe peter, when gwen's british guardians die looking for her biological father. This ultimately drives a wedge between parker and mj as she finally realises that deep down he still wishes he was with gwen instead of her and seeing the lil child's face is too much of a constant reminder she isn't good enough.

I would have attempted to do a storyline like this before the events of sins past and remembered and never have those stories come into place.

I personally think not having pete be a father has seriously messed up the potential of this comic and i want pete back as either a single parent or crappy dad PRONTO.

Hmmm.... There's just sooooo many awesome ways. It's hard to pick just one.

-Waves at the MJ lovers-

ANYWAY, (1) you could have MJ sleep with someone and then have him find out (like someone else said) but the problem with this is that good old Peter would just blame himself for not being there for her. He would then forgive her and blah, blah, blah.... I'm vomiting five minutes later. Okay, so that idea is basically out.

(2) You could have MJ fall in love with someone else. All you need to do is throw her a guy that will always be around to cater to her needs so that eventually she'll leave Peter. I could actually see this happening since she suxs at dealing with the stress from being a superheroe's wife. I personally like this option since it'll make Peter realize who he really belongs with...

*wink, wink* Come on... Felicia understands what it's like to do the hero thing. You all know it's true. Oh and for those of you who still believe that she's only in love with the mask... Well, allow me to direct you towards issue one of The Evil That Men Do. Read that. She ADMITS she was wrong back then.

3) You can kill MJ. Ugh, but I doubt that it would stick because of the movies and you MJ lovers. *vomits a little* Besides, I'm sure anyone who is anyone, already knows that killing off MJ would send Peter into a suicidal depression and no one wants that.

4) A simple divorce. Perhaps the stress of everything finally gets to MJ so she decides to just leave him? I don't really care for that. Peter would just end up trying to win her back and then she'll either "love" him again or tell him to get his stalker ass away from her. The latter would probably make him emo.......

5) The memory thingy. It's actually a pretty cool idea but just watch, something will trigger his damn memory to come back. The only way that I could actually feel safe with this one is if they gave MJ a life. You know, made her some big actress with a famous husband. Even if Peter gets his memory back, he's not going to want to ruin things for her. She'll finally have the life that he could NEVER give her.

There's more options but I'm getting sleepy and my face is hurting from all this smiling. I'm stuck between options two and five.

I say ditch the redhead and bring back the platinum blonde. Besides, don't you boys love the vinyl? Has MJ ever worn anything like that for you? Huh? Huh?

Yeah, exactly.

Not to dis your want for a romantic relationship between Spidey and Black Cat, but it's not gonna happen. It's like Batman and Catwoman, yeah they're okay together when they're in costume but outside of that there's no chance of it working out. Their dual identities will just get in the way.

Isn't black cat supposed to end up as a lesbian...

Not to dis your want for a romantic relationship between Spidey and Black Cat, but it's not gonna happen. It's like Batman and Catwoman, yeah they're okay together when they're in costume but outside of that there's no chance of it working out. Their dual identities will just get in the way.

Can you provide some proof? Because I can throw tons of things at you to support them getting together.

Oh and the whole "she doesn't love Peter" is a joke. Read The Evil That Men Do series and Spider-Man's Marvel Knights.

If you would like, I'll get into a debate with you but be prepared for one hell of a debate. I know my facts and I can prove that Black Cat has grown up and that the relationship could work.

Isn't black cat supposed to end up as a lesbian...

ROFL. I'm guessing that you're talking about the Spidergirl series. That's a recent AU meant to give the fanboys something to dream about. The writers make me barf these days.

If you want something more exact to go with then try The Evil That Men Do series. It's recent and has her being bi.

If you have anymore questions about it then feel free to ask. Just don't take the AU's that seriously. If we did, then Peter would have two kids right now and rather chubby with a beard. =/

Ideally I would have spidey have a baby come out of the woodworks and this would affect him in one of two ways...

either the baby is actually his daughter norman stole away from him and have her come back and MJ just thinks with his identity out, she's too easy pickings and asks peter to go into hiding with them and he does but openly jepoardises them and she leaves him.

or my personal favourite...

a child she had on pete's when she was in london comes out of the woodwork and comes back to stay with her fathe peter, when gwen's british guardians die looking for her biological father. This ultimately drives a wedge between parker and mj as she finally realises that deep down he still wishes he was with gwen instead of her and seeing the lil child's face is too much of a constant reminder she isn't good enough.

I would have attempted to do a storyline like this before the events of sins past and remembered and never have those stories come into place.

I personally think not having pete be a father has seriously messed up the potential of this comic and i want pete back as either a single parent or crappy dad PRONTO.

If Marvel wants Peter and MJ to be unwed, I can live with that. But, please don't drudge up the Gwen ghost and have it play a role/barrier in any of his future relationships.

If there is one thing that needs to be buried it's the notion that deep down Peter still wants to be with Gwen. :cmad: To this day I don't see any possible benefit from that story angle. If I were an editor for the Spidey line I'd make it a point that Gwen couldn't be mentioned in any Spidey comics for the forseeable future. And.....I won't even comment on those ill conceived Stacy kids (no pun intended).

I'd only have one exception to that policy. The only way Gwen could/should play a part in Spider-Man today would be down the road if the writers decided on a Peter/Jill Stacy pairing. That could be interesting on some level depending how the story was written.

but peter does love gwen more than MJ or at least thinks he does...

mj is second best

:up:

but peter does love gwen more than MJ or at least thinks he does...

mj is second best

:up:

First of all, I don't think what you're saying is actually a fact. I've never seen Peter say "I loved Gwen more than I ever loved you MJ".

Secondly, Gwen would be a forgotten character if the writers didn't constantly bring her up all the time.

People on on the net have correctly pointed out that most of the writers in comics are extemely fond of the books they read in their youth. Most of the people who refer Gwen grew up reading the book when she was alive. They have good memories of her and they're determined not to let Peter forget her. Jeph Loeb practically said that when Spider-Man:Blue came out. He said that too many curent readers don't know who Gwen is and he wanted them to know that Peter had a great love before MJ. Of course he going to present the perspective that Gwen is the one true love of Peter's life. If an editor followed my policy Gwen would be forgotten in less than 5 years.

Thirdly, let's assume that what you're saying is true. What does that point of view actually add to the series? What is the positive benefit of Peter still being hung up on Gwen almost 35 years after her death?

Looking forward to your reply.

First of all, I don't think what you're saying is actually a fact. I've never seen Peter say "I loved Gwen more than I ever loved you MJ".

Secondly, Gwen would be a forgotten character if the writers didn't constantly bring her up all the time.

People on on the net have correctly pointed out that most of the writers in comics are extemely fond of the books they read in their youth. Most of the people who refer Gwen grew up reading the book when she was alive. They have good memories of her and they're determined not to let Peter forget her. Jeph Loeb practically said that when Spider-Man:Blue came out. He said that too many curent readers don't know who Gwen is and he wanted them to know that Peter had a great love before MJ. Of course he going to present the perspective that Gwen is the one true love of Peter's life. If an editor followed my policy Gwen would be forgotten in less than 5 years.

Thirdly, let's assume that what you're saying is true. What does that point of view actually add to the series? What is the positive benefit of Peter still being hung up on Gwen almost 35 years after her death?

Looking forward to your reply.
First, it's highlighted in House of M of his perfect life, he's with Gwen...

the same way in JLu in 'For the man who has everything' Clark's ideal woman is a mix between lois and lana.

secondly it helps put a wedge between MJ and Pete. Having a child there being a constant reminder that in her eyes she thinks she is second best. Heck at the very worst, pete doesn't have to think this, this could all happen in Mj's Head and ultimately drive them apart from one another.

I mean parker has not only been responsible for other women's deaths over his career, he's physically punched one in the face and her head exploded yet he never goes on about her. He keeps bringing up gwen in a subconcious manner because he can't let it go. If he could then the green goblin would cease to be his arch nemesis even with him turning harry.

peter's reaction towards norman perpetuates his feeling that most normal people have and that's not being able to get over your first love (leaving out betty brant).

it's normal, not particularly healthy but it hits home a lot of truths and having a kid there will help have a woman pick up on those signs of competition. it'd also help mj regain those insecurities she had about her relationship with her dad and not being good enough for him either...

it ultimately shows she can deal with all the hurt pain and worrying of going out with a superhero with his identity known but she can't deal with coming second to a dead woman.

I don't see this as a bad thing.

I really wouldn't count that. That's just one writers idea for what Peter's perfect life would be. And, if I'm not mistaken a lot of those House of M Spidey tie-ins were written by Mark Waid, an avid silver age and Gwen fan.
Years ago Gerry Conway wrote a followup story to the original Clone Saga. In that story Peter distinctly said he loved MJ more than he ever loved Gwen. However, that story seems to be completley forgotten and ignored.

the same way in JLu in 'For the man who has everything' Clark's ideal woman is a mix between lois and lana.

secondly it helps put a wedge between MJ and Pete. Having a child there being a constant reminder that in her eyes she thinks she is second best. Heck at the very worst, pete doesn't have to think this, this could all happen in Mj's Head and ultimately drive them apart from one another.

If MJ had a problem with Gwen's memory that could make for good drama because MJ has been shown to be somewhat insecure. However, trying to insinuate that Peter thinks of Gwen so much that it causes marital stress is a bit much. The whole child angle just wouldn't work. I can't believe JMS and Quesada ageed to such a bad idea in the first place. I hope that gets tossed out with BND.

I mean parker has not only been responsible for other women's deaths over his career, he's physically punched one in the face and her head exploded yet he never goes on about her. He keeps bringing up gwen in a subconcious manner because he can't let it go. If he could then the green goblin would cease to be his arch nemesis even with him turning harry.

This all goes back to my original post. Writers continue to beat the Stacy angle to death. If a writer just pressed ahead and left her in the past she really wouldn't have much of a role in the series. Marvel feels that having Peter married or making him a widow ages the character. Yet,the way the harp on Gwen's death they've practically made him a widower.

peter's reaction towards norman perpetuates his feeling that most normal people have and that's not being able to get over your first love (leaving out betty brant).

it's normal, not particularly healthy but it hits home a lot of truths and having a kid there will help have a woman pick up on those signs of competition. it'd also help mj regain those insecurities she had about her relationship with her dad and not being good enough for him either...

it ultimately shows she can deal with all the hurt pain and worrying of going out with a superhero with his identity known but she can't deal with coming second to a dead woman.

I don't see this as a bad thing.

I do. What you're advocating may work on a TV drama/soap opera. Having MJ worry about playing 2nd fiddle the iilegitmate child of Peter's dead girlfriend and her memory just isn't something the average comic reader wants to see in a super hero comic....especially when the dead girlfriend died during the Nixon adminisrtation and before the end of the Vietnam War.

The new era is being called "Brand New Day". Hopefully that means Gwen's name won't come up that much, if it all, after the relauch in 2008

Here's an idea. Don't kill people in comic books.

ROFL. I'm guessing that you're talking about the Spidergirl series. That's a recent AU meant to give the fanboys something to dream about. The writers make me barf these days.

If you want something more exact to go with then try The Evil That Men Do series. It's recent and has her being bi.

If you have anymore questions about it then feel free to ask. Just don't take the AU's that seriously. If we did, then Peter would have two kids right now and rather chubby with a beard. =/

I kinda lost my interest in TETMD when Mr. Brownstone... I think it was... had BC stoned... when he was about to rape Felicia... something happened... Kevin smith forgot to do the rest of the story... Now 3 years later... that's where I'm lost...(He should've gone and see a doctor... a three year erection is just unnatural) I know that in the end it became a very special spider-man story about the evils that rape is... So she's Bi in the normal continuity... Well being bi I suppose is better than being a lesbian...

Can you provide some proof? Because I can throw tons of things at you to support them getting together.

Oh and the whole "she doesn't love Peter" is a joke. Read The Evil That Men Do series and Spider-Man's Marvel Knights.

If you would like, I'll get into a debate with you but be prepared for one hell of a debate. I know my facts and I can prove that Black Cat has grown up and that the relationship could work.

Simply put, Black Cat just isn't a homemaker. That kind of life doesn't suit her, hence what's the point.

I really wouldn't count that. That's just one writers idea for what Peter's perfect life would be. And, if I'm not mistaken a lot of those House of M Spidey tie-ins were written by Mark Waid, an avid silver age and Gwen fan.

it's the most recent canon description, i feel it's legit.

If MJ had a problem with Gwen's memory that could make for good drama because MJ has been shown to be somewhat insecure. However, trying to insinuate that Peter thinks of Gwen so much that it causes marital stress is a bit much. The whole child angle just wouldn't work. I can't believe JMS and Quesada ageed to such a bad idea in the first place. I hope that gets tossed out with BND.
What peter thinks for tihs type of story is irrelevant, all we have to do is be objective and see the evidence infront of us. All the quotations and thought bubbles can come from MJ reading and overreading events taken place. Whether pete actually does or doesn't think of gwen can be left to us to decide but we will see it through mj's eyes and see she feels there is enough there and she doesn't want to play second fiddle.

I think that's genius and adds to what i feel is a character gone stale. I mean what's the last interesting thing MJ did before beating up the chameleon just after the reboot?

This all goes back to my original post. Writers continue to beat the Stacy angle to death. If a writer just pressed ahead and left her in the past she really wouldn't have much of a role in the series. Marvel feels that having Peter married or making him a widow ages the character. Yet,the way the harp on Gwen's death they've practically made him a widower.
we can blame the writers all day long or we can deal with what we are given and try to rationalise the best course of action from it.

gwen IS a important constant reminder to spidey, suddenly stopping would be like pete no longer thinking about uncle ben, it's just one of those things pete does, he dwells on the past alot, so be it, it's not particularly bad, just not healthy. It DOES make him relatable though.

I do. What you're advocating may work on a TV drama/soap opera. Having MJ worry about playing 2nd fiddle the iilegitmate child of Peter's dead girlfriend and her memory just isn't something the average comic reader wants to see in a super hero comic....especially when the dead girlfriend died during the Nixon adminisrtation and before the end of the Vietnam War.
comics are pretty much a long soap opera and the best hide this fact among its texts. That's the art of long term story telling, especially if you want to keep it relatable and have it be a relationship between two people.

I'd also beg to differ because the fantastic four has dealt with other people coming into the marital issues with reed and sue and they've managed to do it fine. Valeria von doom from the future was started out as a constant reminder than sue was going to leave reed in the future and the fans lapped it up so i think your views on this subject are somewhat flawed.

the fact that gwen's been dead for so long makes it even more interesting because if it was fresh, mj could understand the bereavement process, but because of the duration and also the fact that she also lost her child (heck, write in she can't have any kids because the stillbirth messed up her insides) is another reminder of how she can't compare to a dead person.

MJ is marvel's flagship human, she needs some jazzing up and i feel this (or something along this lines is the best way to do it).

I mean in the ultimate comics, there's the jealousy angle based on the fact she doesn't have powers and kitty does, i was originally going to suggest this with black cat but i didn't see the chemistry so hence why i thought of the kid idea.

The new era is being called "Brand New Day". Hopefully that means Gwen's name won't come up that much, if it all, after the relauch in 2008[/quote]

I don't really think it's fair to say that, that's just one, (or a couple writers,) opinion, at one point in time.

Also, (although Bendis wasn't too hot on the idea,) he went on to very clearly say on CBR RE: this situation, 'while people may not like Sins Past, it HAS just happened. So Gwen is on his mind as his biggest failure... He'd want to erase that.' Makes sense to me. Try and erase the pain. To top that off, he was CLEARLY having something with MJ.

And from my poiny of view, (no offence against you, or trying to make myself big,) have you ever fallen in love with more than one person? Everyone fall for different people in different ways. Gwen was Peter's FIRST love. While that stands for a lot, that was his FIRST. She was TAKEN from him. That's a big thing! They may have broken up eventually even, but she was TAKEN from him. Apart from Ben, that's his bigest failure. Especially as an adult.

Seriously though, he doesn't love one or the other more, it's a different love. The one with MJ is more mature as it hapened when they were older. That's all

That's my take on it :up:

I don't really think it's fair to say that, that's just one, (or a couple writers,) opinion, at one point in time.

Also, (although Bendis wasn't too hot on the idea,) he went on to very clearly say on CBR RE: this situation, 'while people may not like Sins Past, it HAS just happened. So Gwen is on his mind as his biggest failure... He'd want to erase that.' Makes sense to me. Try and erase the pain. To top that off, he was CLEARLY having something with MJ.

And from my poiny of view, (no offence against you, or trying to make myself big,) have you ever fallen in love with more than one person? Everyone fall for different people in different ways. Gwen was Peter's FIRST love. While that stands for a lot, that was his FIRST. She was TAKEN from him. That's a big thing! They may have broken up eventually even, but she was TAKEN from him. Apart from Ben, that's his bigest failure. Especially as an adult.

Seriously though, he doesn't love one or the other more, it's a different love. The one with MJ is more mature as it hapened when they were older. That's all

That's my take on it :up:
Well that's fair dues...

i've always seen gwen as his ideal world love. Again, he's not the only female he's been directly responsible for their death but he's the only one that he keeps dear.

Heck, the fact that is it different is enough for MJ, there's nothing she can do to tarnish that memory and based on her earlier insecurities, MJ may not be able to handle it, especially when confronted with a real life daughter of theirs she is supposed to love as much as peter does but she can't as she is a constant reminder of something she can't compete with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"