Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

One of my favourite openings to a film ever. I’d pay full film price to see just that in IMAX now.
I actually meant the scene where they open the Ark and all the Nazis go all melty explodey but the opening scene with the boulder was awesome in IMAX too. :up:

Cautiously optimistic about this. I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but I just can't shake my doubts about an 80-year old Ford managing to recapture that same edge-of-your-seat excitement from the first three. I doubt we're going to get anything on the level of the truck chase from Raiders (which is on my personal Mount Rushmore of cinematic action sequences). I mean, there's no getting round it, part of the appeal of Indy as a character is his daredevil physicality and energy. As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't help but feel trepidation.

Cautiously optimistic about this. I'm hoping to be proven wrong, but I just can't shake my doubts about an 80-year old Ford managing to recapture that same edge-of-your-seat excitement from the first three. I doubt we're going to get anything on the level of the truck chase from Raiders (which is on my personal Mount Rushmore of cinematic action sequences). I mean, there's no getting round it, part of the appeal of Indy as a character is his daredevil physicality and energy. As I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't help but feel trepidation.

Actually, for me, part of the appeal is his fallibility. That’s what separated him from Bond or any number of comic book characters today. He got hurt. He wasn’t invincible, he was human. He used his intelligence to get out of situations. But never gave up even with the odds stacked against him. Even in Raiders, you felt he was a little too old to be on adventures. His “best” years were like a decade before. But that’s what made it fun.

If there’s any fictional action character that can be 80-years old and still be exciting, it’s Indy.

I'll never understand why people think Indy has to be young in order for these movies to compelling. It's mind boggling how people don't see the potential for a powerful story with an aged Indy.

I think there's a lot of age-ism in our culture. The stories of people over the age of like...45 aren't seen as 'compelling'.

Though, I'd say that's changed as our bands/artists we go see have aged/gotten older (Metallica, AC/DC, KISS, Cher, Alice Cooper, etc.) and our action stars have gotten older, too (Bruce Willis, Liam Neeson, etc.).

So it's better than it used to be.

But I still feel there's an untapped gold mine in stories centered around older people. Aging is scary and it brings about so many changes, obstacles and scary things.

I think there's a lot of age-ism in our culture. The stories of people over the age of like...45 aren't seen as 'compelling'.

Though, I'd say that's changed as our bands/artists we go see have aged/gotten older (Metallica, AC/DC, KISS, Cher, Alice Cooper, etc.) and our action stars have gotten older, too (Bruce Willis, Liam Neeson, etc.).

But I still feel there's an untapped gold mine in stories centered around older people. Aging is scary and it brings about so many changes, obstacles and scary things.
Yup, and I actually think the age thing is something we will see Indy come to terms with in this movie. I'm pretty sure Mangold has stated how the movie is about getting older and all of that. There's still so much about this film we don't know, and I think a lot of people assume we do based off of fake leaks.

Sony even had something interesting on their hands adapting Madame Web, a first “elderly” led superhero film, and they went the cowards way and just cast a young actress when they had tons of 60+ great actresses.

It’s like, this is the time to experiment and specifically picked a character to try something different and instead they go bland.

I’ll give DC a little credit for casting 70+ Michael Keaton as Batman again, though he’s not the lead.

Jeez, the longest Indy film by a long shot.

I personally feel less is more with these kind of films, but I could be wrong.

Post credit scene with Short Round :p

my-emotions-toyed-with-like-that-hbaj9q6pjrao5b29.gif

I don’t see it happening. They’ve never done post credit scenes and it would be weird to do it with the last movie of the franchise.

I am so stoked. But damn, it's so close to being out. A month and a half is nothing of a wait - it'll be here before I know it.

Kind of a bittersweet thing - it'll be here, but it's also a finality to it. It's great - but sad, all the same.

Once Indiana Jones is over, I guess it means we've "...reached the age where life stops giving us things, and starts taking them away" in the words of Charlie from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I am so stoked. But damn, it's so close to being out. A month and a half is nothing of a wait - it'll be here before I know it.

Kind of a bittersweet thing - it'll be here, but it's also a finality to it. It's great - but sad, all the same.

Yep, what a journey… I can’t believe it’s been 15 years since the last film. And 19 years before that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"