Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

The new character posters on Lucasfilm's Facebook are already littered with comments about how bad the film looks, how it's going to bomb, Kathleen Kennedy is finally going to be fired, etc.

I've heard Kathleen Kennedy is 'fired' since like...2016.

I do kinda think this film will bomb, though.

Lol yeah the Star Wars Incels have had the knives out for Kennedy since… the moment she took over Lucasfilm. Granted, some of her choices have been baffling but you can’t tell me that she would be getting the same amount of vitriol if she were a man.

I do kinda think this film will bomb, though.

Why?

Don’t confuse online “hype” for real world hype. I think this will hit the same family audience as Jurassic World did last summer. Plus, the people bashing it online will still most likely see it opening weekend as well.

It’ll at least open as well as Indy 4 did in 2008. How it does after that is how well it clicks with audiences.

Why?

Don’t confuse online “hype” for real world hype.

The thing is I'm not seeing any hype anywhere at all. That's why I'm getting a bomb-vibe.

I'm skeptical that people are interested in this film, at all. It feels too late after the 4th, and it's also had some lowkey AF marketing.

The job of this film was to convince people that it was worth reviving and it's worth seeing in the theater.

It looks like it's not doing that so far.

I don’t know. Honestly, this will probably be a week out from release when you’ll start seeing regular people be interested. I remember reading lack of hype for Avatar 2 and Top Gun 2 till just about when they were released.

Granted, they got great reviews, but for this I don’t think it’ll matter much to the family audience as long as it’s crowd pleasing in the end.

Also, and this is maybe just me, but I don't see big record-breaking openings like pre pandemic era. Numbers are, for a lack of better word, generally alright. The anomaly of Avatar aside, there's nothing truly spectacular going on in terms of box-office.
A big portion of people are starting to realize that there isn't a big gap between theatrical and digital/streaming and can wait a little longer.
I think Indy will fall in that same space too, good numbers but nothing truly terrible or amazing.

Loving those character posters! Man, it's so cool to know we will be able to see Ford don the hat and whip one last time. I'm pumped! In regards to box office, I do think it's gonna do well regardless of the reviews. I'm not worried about that. The only thing that sucks is that talking about the movie on social media is not much fun because of the trolls. Thankfully, they don't control a movies success. Will I love this film? I sure hope so! All I want is a good Indy film.

As I get older, it becomes so much clearer that we have to enjoy the things we like without worrying about the noise/din on the internet (a very small minority).

I cannot imagine taking time out of a very short life to write, tweet, record or promote bile and hatred. How exhausting and miserable must that persons life be. It's sad that it becomes their entire personality

It is so much better to engage with those that are promoting the things they love and want to share. Don't like something? move along. By no means should you avoid offering genuine criticisms or disappointments when necessary, but it should always be done in a thoughtful way.

I am also sensing a lack of hype around this movie. I don't think it will flop, but I don't see this clearing a billion by that same token. I think it's ceiling is KotCS numbers, which would be great. But I can see it a bit lower also.

Sallah looks weird

As I get older, it becomes so much clearer that we have to enjoy the things we like without worrying about the noise/din on the internet (a very small minority).

I cannot imagine taking time out of a very short life to write, tweet, record or promote bile and hatred. How exhausting and miserable must that persons life be. It's sad that it becomes their entire personality

It is so much better to engage with those that are promoting the things they love and want to share. Don't like something? move along. By no means should you avoid offering genuine criticisms or disappointments when necessary, but it should always be done in a thoughtful way.

I guess that is profitable for them on social media hate drives alot of traffic
anyway i agree i don't even visit threads of stuff i dislike let people enjoy what they enjoy too many options for entertainment to hate watch anything

Given Hollywood's current inclination to start using AI content, I would not be surprised if that were the case.
In this case I'll let it slide ONLY because we got this work of art:

indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-poster.jpeg

As an example, just take at look at the Jurassic Park 30th anniversary re-release cover. That thing is ugly as all sin and clearly AI-generated.

Press reactions coming out on Twitter. seem to be much much more positive. A couple of 9/10s I've been seeing. One I can't post due to swearing but Mike Ryan loved it as did lots of others. This is very encouraging!

And a 9/10 from someone who was initially let down by the mixed reactions and was "cold" towards the film prior to seeing it. He called it wonderful, said it's much better than Crystal Skull, Harrison Fords performance is fantastic and it's incredibly emotional.

This is James Mangold, and I've had faith in him since he was announced as the director replacing Spielberg. Even if the film isn't as good as the first 3, so long as it's a fun finale, that'll be a win in my book. It seems like that may be the case and I love that Harrison's performance seems to be the standout element. I'm ready for one last adventure.

Last edited:
I do wonder if Lucasfilm/Disney are doing a wider screening for critics/press because they think they'll be a lot more receptive than the Cannes audience and counteract the 50% RT rating working its way around the web.

From the reactions I'm reading, the reactions are glowing - and it might help a lot.

And I've checked a few of the critics who are commenting - and gladly, I find that many of them reviewed stuff like Rise of Skywalker or other early access film screenings negatively or middlingly, which tells me that they're not swayed by early access, at least.

Last edited:
Now, for the flood of folks saying these new positive reactions are bought by Disney to make up for the true reviews that admit it's a steaming turd.

because in the world of fandom, everything is secretly awful lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"