The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 4

They turned Electro into Edward Nigma from Batman Forever.

Seriously, it was the same freaking character.

His role in the film is basically pointless.

It shouldn't have been Electro in this movie it should've been Green Goblin.

They turned Electro into Edward Nigma from Batman Forever.

Seriously, it was the same freaking character.

His role in the film is basically pointless. It was another case of too many villains.
i like Electro but HATE Max Dillon
yup, he is just there to have good visuals and fight spidey, that´s it

They went overboard with the goofiness , but everything post transformation was awesome. They needed to have him step aside for Harry. I think if they went with he original Goblin for the first film and kept Harry from transforming until the next one it may have worked better. I don't suppose there as much they could do though

What is sad that it was basically the same character yet...Carrey seem a lot more sane.

Just saying, if I'm doing script notes, this is the first thing I point out. I can't believe no one saw this.

I recall some of my media colleagues talking about Prometheus and doing roundtables with Damon Lindlehof and pointing out that the basic outline is very similar to Alien vs. Predator. Ridley Scott wouldn't hear of it though, something akin to that.

What is sad that it was basically the same character yet...Carrey seem a lot more sane.

He wasn't completely delusional. There was a method to his madness. In this film Max was completely gone and his saving grace was becoming a supervillian

I missed the part where did they get Electro's suit. Has anybody any clue?

And that's how Electro will be remembered. As a big fart.

I do wish people would stop comparing Electro to The Riddler in BATMAN FOREVER. Because yes, BATMAN FOREVER's take on The Riddler was over the top, but it actually DID something with the "nerd stereotype", explored the character and concept, presented a character who had motivations and actually evolved somewhat as the film went on.

Electro was just...just awful. Near as I can tell, Foxx mailed it in, which doesn't help matters.

I don't mind the "nerd stereotype" so much as I matter the absolutely ridiculous "I want to be seen" theme that they chose to go with.

Seriously? That's the BEST they could come up with? Don't juxtapose Spider-Man's motivations to save lives with the desire to destroy and consume...don't explore concepts about the acquisition and use of power...or ideas about becoming more than human, you know, things that this franchise is ABOUT, no, the guy just wants to be wanted and needed and doesn't like Spider-Man because he's easily confused. And oh, he's a little nuts. Just an absolute hodgepodgy mess of a characterization.

And STILL they didn't explore that. They just TOLD us. We don't even get to SEE the guy have genius that is marginalized...we're just told that he is.

I don't even think he was that interesting visually. The cinematography was in places, and Spider-Man's solutions to issues were clever, but all that slow-mo also revealed some shoddy effectswork here and there. And the lack of imagination with regard to his powers annoyed me. "I can feel and sense electricity, and travel via it, and oh yeah, shoot bolts of electricity...so that last thing is ALL I'll do with my electrical powers!"

About halfway through the movie I started wondering why they bothered to go with the blue electricity/design. Regular electricity would have looked much cooler visually, especially in Times Square.

The black rubber suit looked stupid with the glowing blue man underneath. Are molded lightning bolts supposed to matter at that point?

Ugh.

I definitely was not a fan when it was revealed that the only significance of Electro was as a plot device to get Harry back into Oscorp. If it wasn't for that scene, he could have been removed from the film and it wouldn't have made a difference. What a waste of an Academy Award winner.

And this comes from a guy tried his hardest to remain open minded about Max Dillon and absolute dug the Times Square sequence.

Great post, Guard :up:

I think a better description of Electro would be a poor man's Edward Nygma.

Also, I get that it's supposed to be a metaphor, but did anyone actually buy that Dillon, with his horrible combover, 18 pens in his pocket, highwater pants etc, would actually be "invisible" to people?

The man would probably be VERY visible, and be BULLIED relentlessly, and WHY didn't they at least go that route and say something about marginalizing and bullying? Tie it in with Spider-Man defending that kid and his science fair project.

Argh, the missed opportunities.

I actually liked what they did with Electro. Max Dillon? Not so much. Jamie Foxx can't play awkward well. Dane DeHaan stole the movie from him anyway.

I always saw Electro as second tier and that's how he felt to me in the movie. Sure, his Max Dillon could've been better written, but it gets the point across. All I cared about was his inferiority complex appearing intact, and it did. I also for the most part, enjoyed him when he was in the containment suit.

How were we supposed to take this goofy, stupid, cartoony, caricature of a nerd seriously I mean for goodness sake what the HELL were they thinking?! :dry: Why couldn't he just look like Jamie Foxx and act realistic and not like some fumbling idiot that NO ONE can possibly take seriously?

Screenshot2014-05-03at22440PM.png

While watching the film, it dawned on me that the chances of a Black guy having that hair is pretty low and I started laughing at it.

I missed the part where did they get Electro's suit. Has anybody any clue?

Nope. It was never revealed. It just appears and we're supposed to accept that he now has a skintight rubber suit that can somehow teleport through electrical outlets with him. That's pushing the boundaries of what we're supposed to accept in a somewhat serious, live action film. It's crossing into cartoon territory at that point. There was so much in this movie that was so muddled, that it's kinda hard to believe.

While watching the film, it dawned on me that the chances of a Black guy having that hair is pretty low and I started laughing at it.

:lmao: Exactly what i thought....when i saw the official release of Max.

Nope. It was never revealed. It just appears and we're supposed to accept that he now has a skintight rubber suit that can somehow teleport through electrical outlets with him. That's pushing the boundaries of what we're supposed to accept in a somewhat serious, live action film. It's crossing into cartoon territory at that point. There was so much in this movie that was so muddled, that it's kinda hard to believe.

But to be fair, when Sandman becomes a sand monster and then back to his human self, wouldn't his clothes rip off of his body realistically?

In reality, Electro would've been like Dr. Manhattan. Clothes would never last on his body and that scene where all we saw was his brain, central nervous system and veins was like a page ripped out of "Watchmen."

But yeah... I wasn't a fan of Max Dillon. Maybe a second viewing will change that but he was a pitiful, overly needy and childish, and worthless character. I don't think he is of the level of Jim Carrey's Edward Nygma/Riddler; more of a Aldrich Killian but while Electro was striking to look at and the action scenes with him were great, he was an overall wasted opportunity much like Thomas Hayden Church's Flint Marko/Sandman. However, least Sandman was annoying and actually had a purpose onscreen despite feeling unneeded in "SM3." Electro didn't feel like there was a need to his character other than to sell visuals.

Sandman's clothes became part of the transformation in the experiment. Therefore the Sandman could change its molecules into sand much like his body. It made since. I don't know how this would apply to Electro. They were regular clothes he swiped.

I don't get what the deal is with having villains previously be awkwardly nerdy social outcasts. Are they getting at something?

I wouldn't mind if he was a member of the Six. Maybe he just be mute like Non in Superman 2.

Sandman's clothes became part of the transformation in the experiment. Therefore the Sandman could change its molecules into sand much like his body. It made since. I don't know how this would apply to Electro. They were regular clothes he swiped.

But that's what always bothered me; same with the locket. The granules of sand grafted to his DNA and physical structure not his clothes or the locket. So, to me in realistic terms, Sandman if he changed from a man to a sand creature, I feel it should've been like a Hulk transformation where the clothes would rip apart or fall off. Same with Electro stealing the clothes at the morgue. When he gets more powerful and unstable, wouldn't the clothes rip apart given his electrical powers? I mean all that heat building off of the electricity should've disintegrated his clothes.

I questioned his electric pants, but then I reminded myself, "This is Spider-Man."

But that's what always bothered me; same with the locket. The granules of sand grafted to his DNA and physical structure, but to me, in realistic terms, Sandman if he changed from a man to a sand creature, I feel it should've been like a Hulk transformation where the clothes would rip apart or fall off. Same with Electro stealing the clothes at the morgue. When he gets more powerful and unstable, wouldn't the clothes rip apart given his electrical powers? I mean all that heat building off of the electricity should've disintegrated his clothes.

Its explained that his clothes were apart of the transformation since Sandman was actually wearing them during the accident. And he supposedly can mentally change them as he shape shifts into different shapes since those molecules of the clothes were affected.

Electro doesn't have this excuse. He got that costume from the either the prison or Oscorp and it had nothing to do with his transformation. Therefore he shouldn't be able to change the molecules of the clothes. So I agree, he should be like Dr Manhattan but would you really want too see that? I don't

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"