Lionsgate "Power Rangers" - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
fGQo5i8.gif

This was a legit **** up. Not FFINO territory but just plain bad.

Yeah, even F4 made more money and PR not F4 bad. lol,PR fans new talking point is Japan and Blu-ray sells. Sorry,but I don't see Japan saving it.

Yeah, even F4 made more money and PR not F4 bad. lol,PR fans new talking point is Japan and Blu-ray sells. Sorry,but I don't see Japan saving it.

Like I said, South Korea is a decent barometer for Japan. So, yeah....

I loved the movie, but even I can recognize that it had problems. These numbers really are a shame. This franchise had so much potential, if only they had played up the Superhero aspect so much more.

What's even sadder is it would have been great to see how they continue this version of the MMPR story, but chances of a sequel are looking even more slim with every new thing I hear.

I was SO excited for this two years ago.

Hmmm... interesting. It looks like he had a lot of co-producers on Time Force, so perhaps he wasn't so capable as his position might imply. In that case, how about Sally Campbell? Judd Lynn? There's got to be someone who is good at producing Power Rangers out there.

If you had to bring on anyone from the show's history, Amit Bhaumik. Power Rangers: Civil War would be sweet.

Oh well, what a shame, i actually liked the cast, they have really good chemistry.

On here after a long time.

Crap, this movie flopped harder than F4. That really sucks. Everything I've seen so far looks like a lot of fun. The cast looks fun. Atleast there is still the Blu ray I can buy.

This was a decent watch but it was never the movie to particularly convince the people who were turned away by 'power rangers' in the title. I think it could have been better received if it had more fully embraced its inherent cheesiness (amongst the Chinese audiences for one). Or perhaps this is the extent of the franchise's general appeal after all.

Man what a disaster, people. Thing is, this movie is NO F4 (quality wise). This was a solid film with great characters, it didnt deserve this. But I agree. Lack of spectacle doomed this thing, the foreign markets dont wanna see talking heads for an hour and a half. They want action, action action and this movie didn't have nearly enough. Its such a shame, they wasted a great cast, now this franchise is buried for at least another decade. But I will support this by buying the blu ray.

Oh well, see y'all maybe in 2027 when they try this again.

Damn this thread really is The Little Thread That Could it's always still chugging along even though the writing was on the wall for this films lack of success post release

What would you guys have done to fix this movie? Like if the filmmakers were the problem, who should've been hired instead

There was no easy fix for this movie. Everything needed to be changed from the ground up.

1. Don't be cheap. You wanna make Transformers money, you gotta spend Transformers money. You have to have that fabled, reported budget of at least $150 mill on a Power Rangers movie.

2. For who they should've hired I don't know. But at least get someone who didn't direct only 1 feature film. 1 feature film (Project Almanac) that made no splash critically or commercially. Even if you see potential in someone you don't give them a big job like this if they havent proven themselves.
For example look at Jordan Vogt-Roberts director of Kong Skull Island. He did 1 movie, Kings of Summer, before doing a $185 mill movie. But at least Kings of Summer got good reviews.
So you don't need to go with Jon Faverau or JJ Abrams (who are the 2 most fancast blockbuster director suggestions...for good reason) get someone with vision, is proven to be a good director, and who has at least directed a well received movie. And even that isn't a slam dunk. Look at Josh Trank and Fan4stic

3. Give the people what they want. Complain all you want about modern audiences, but with a movie like Power Rangers they want spectacle. Big robot fights, cool martial arts. Make it cool, make it epic, have an appropriate tone. Again using Transformers as an example, I saw this when I was in high school and I thought this was the coolest most epic s***
[YT]Ei3qrMvwz24[/YT]
Make it cool, make it epic. Just don't make it Transformers stupid.
Easier said than done.
I think they should focus more on the martial arts aspect. In today's age when you get so many big budget spectacles we haven't had one that had one in any with really cool martial arts in along time. Imagine a big budget spectacle but you have The Raid/IP Man type fight scenes. I think that'd bring audiences in

Those are the 3 main things. Obviously there's more, but those are the main ones. All of them are easier said that done and even then you might not find success. But for sure, making a PR film where you spend a majority of it out of their suits and training is idiotic. Just foolish.

It kinda bums me out because I think you could've gotten a really cool, epic franchise out of this. But alas, it won't happen

Even if this became a hit in china like a lot of posters were hanging on, and did over a 100 mill there alone and was inching towards 250Mill WW, we'd still be talking about how it wouldn't be profitable for the studio. This is a disaster for lionsgate.

I mean we all knew this wasn't looking good to say the least, but we were labelled as haters and being mean.

Don't shoot the messenger

I would've preferred Transformers stupid if it came with the wall to wall action that is the only reason this ip is a thing that people acknowledge existing in the first place. Nope, 90 minutes of teen drama. That'll put butts in the seats.

A sequel to this is pie in the sky at this point. The only way it happens is if they Turbo the **** out of it. Decimated budget, practical effects for almost everything, guys in big rubber suits, the works. Funny thing is, if they also replace all the trash behind the camera with any amount of competence and vision, it could still be better than this ever was.

In my opinion, and maybe this wouldn't have totally fixed it, but I would've more or less kept the pace the same, so that the morph feels earned, but I would add an additional 20 mins to the film, make it really feel epic. And most of the at 20 minutes would be pure balls to the wall martial arts/ zord action. After they morph for the first time, that would be the end of act 2. They fight the putties and fight Rita as Rangers but get their asses handed to them. They then realize they need to learn how to control the zords to beat her. Add five minutes of seeing them test pilot the zords and maybe do a montage of them learning to control them. Then 15 full minutes of pure monster/ zord action.

Like I kept saying, advertise as a YA movie, get YA movie money.

Damn this thread really is The Little Thread That Could it's always still chugging along even though the writing was on the wall for this films lack of success post release

There was no easy fix for this movie. Everything needed to be changed from the ground up.

1. Don't be cheap. You wanna make Transformers money, you gotta spend Transformers money. You have to have that fabled, reported budget of at least $150 mill on a Power Rangers movie.

2. For who they should've hired I don't know. But at least get someone who didn't direct only 1 feature film. 1 feature film (Project Almanac) that made no splash critically or commercially. Even if you see potential in someone you don't give them a big job like this if they havent proven themselves.
For example look at Jordan Vogt-Roberts director of Kong Skull Island. He did 1 movie, Kings of Summer, before doing a $185 mill movie. But at least Kings of Summer got good reviews.
So you don't need to go with Jon Faverau or JJ Abrams (who are the 2 most fancast blockbuster director suggestions...for good reason) get someone with vision, is proven to be a good director, and who has at least directed a well received movie. And even that isn't a slam dunk. Look at Josh Trank and Fan4stic

3. Give the people what they want. Complain all you want about modern audiences, but with a movie like Power Rangers they want spectacle. Big robot fights, cool martial arts. Make it cool, make it epic, have an appropriate tone. Again using Transformers as an example, I saw this when I was in high school and I thought this was the coolest most epic s***
[YT]Ei3qrMvwz24[/YT]
Easier said than done.
I think they should focus more on the martial arts aspect. In today's age when you get so many big budget spectacles we haven't had one that had one in any with really cool martial arts in along time. Imagine a big budget spectacle but you have The Raid/IP Man type fight scenes. I think that'd bring audiences in

Those are the 3 main things. Obviously there's more, but those are the main ones. All of them are easier said that done and even then you might not find success. But for sure, making a PR film where you spend a majority of it out of their suits and training is idiotic. Just foolish.

It kinda bums me out because I think you could've gotten a really cool, epic franchise out of this. But alas, it won't happen
This is pretty much what I thought we would get. Power Rangers had the potential to have just as awesome & cool action scenes as Transformers. But nope, we got a two minute morphed fight & a 10 minute Zord fight & a two minute Megazord fight.

I mean when we pointed out that getting a Transformers type movie wouldn't happen you labelled us as haters

Last edited:
If you had to bring on anyone from the show's history, Amit Bhaumik. Power Rangers: Civil War would be sweet.

Now, speaking as a semi-fan of the whole PR legacy, the little research I've done suggests Amit isn't a producer at all. While he may have fan cache, and wouldn't be the worst choice as a writer, what the film needed was a producer, a shepherd who understood, intuitively, how to target henshin at adults and teenagers, and could make notes and comments all through the film's development, about how to integrate Henshin sensibilities into their teen YA plot. While it seems all PR creative heavies fall out of favor with the fanbase, even Amit there, the goal is not to find someone who fans like, but someone who has proven that they know how to make adult PR fans, not necessarily someone who can keep them, that's the other producers' job.

[YT]Ei3qrMvwz24[/YT]
Easier said than done.

Y'know, I really appreciated the whole YA themes they pulled into PR with this movie, I think that was a really insightful move, and I think if they had stuck the landing, we'd be having a very different conversation, but I also think you're right. This really could have been phoned in to a certain degree. Big giant fights, a little character work and some self awareness/making fun of PR tropes would have absolutely sold this movie, and while I won't say it had Billion Dollar potential, it could have come pretty doggone close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"