Lionsgate "Power Rangers" - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was already college-aged when the first power rangers show came out. It was cool & amusing for a little while, clearly aimed at folks who were younger than me; I'm sure I would have been all-in if I were 10 when it first came out. I liked trying to figure out which were the American-shot sequences and which were the original Japanese footage. I even remember checking out the first movie in the late 90s.

I really haven't paid any attention to it since that era. I remember when Saban Entertainment purchased the video rights to the Marvel TV back catalog, several years before Disney purchased Marvel (and for a while, Saban was bought out by Disney, before being spun off a few years later).

So, with the understanding that the original main audience for this are pushing 30 and older, does the story have much of anything for folks who aren't kids?

Is the narrative at least semi-adult in tone? Is it mostly campy/goofball?

Who are the standout actors, if any?

Continuing with a sidebar rarely addressed in other superhero films, I wonder if the vast property/landscape destruction aftermath issues (giant mecha vs. kaiju beasts) are dealt with at all?

Sidebar 2: I wish that the original Ultraman, Battle of the Planets, and Spectreman were available on the streaming sites.

To me, the problem is we just had a movie where the big bad is revealed to be an evil Green Ranger so having another evil green ranger right after seems a bit much. Of course this one will be suited up more then Rita was but we would definitely need 2 villains.

Green Ranger starting out evil is practically guaranteed for a sequel. They could bring back Rita and maybe Goldar (but in a redesigned speaking role this time) and maybe throw in Scorpina too. Zedd should be the only villain in a third movie.

I was already college-aged when the first power rangers show came out. It was cool & amusing for a little while, clearly aimed at folks who were younger than me; I'm sure I would have been all-in if I were 10 when it first came out. I liked trying to figure out which were the American-shot sequences and which were the original Japanese footage. I even remember checking out the first movie in the late 90s.

I really haven't paid any attention to it since that era. I remember when Saban Entertainment purchased the video rights to the Marvel TV back catalog, several years before Disney purchased Marvel (and for a while, Saban was bought out by Disney, before being spun off a few years later).

So, with the understanding that the original main audience for this are pushing 30 and older, does the story have much of anything for folks who aren't kids?

Is the narrative at least semi-adult in tone? Is it mostly campy/goofball?

Who are the standout actors, if any?

Continuing with a sidebar rarely addressed in other superhero films, I wonder if the vast property/landscape destruction aftermath issues (giant mecha vs. kaiju beasts) are dealt with at all?

Sidebar 2: I wish that the original Ultraman, Battle of the Planets, and Spectreman were available on the streaming sites.
Yeah, it's in the middle. The first two acts are serious & the third act is a little more campy & cheese but still real stakes.

Standout actors? Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Banks & Bil Hader.

The movie ends before it can be adressed but you do gea shot of the destroyed town after the battle & ppl recording the Megazord

Those numbers are depressing! :( I'm still hoping for a sequel because this movie was really enjoyable. I loved the cast!! If DC ever does a Teen Titans movie then I pray the actors have as much onscreen chemistry as Dacre, Naomi, Rj, Becky and Ludi did! The cast deserves all the praise they are getting!

Anyway Black and Yellow forever (Crazy boy and Crazy girl lol)!! Screw Tommy/Kimberly, give me Zack/Trini :p

LMAO.. I love how I'm now being called a Doomsayer for stating the obivious about it's numbers. Some fans can't take the truth.

Some PR fans are way to touchy. They see someone trying to be honest with them and they turn it into you hating their franchise.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie for what it was. It was cheesy as expected but I still had fun! I just wish the ending fight wasn't so anti-climatic.

Favorite characters were Jason and Billy.

LMAO.. I love how I'm now being called a Doomsayer for stating the obivious about it's numbers. Some fans can't take the truth.

Some PR fans are way to touchy. They see someone trying to be honest with them and they turn it into you hating their franchise.

You haven't been in this thread much have you, say anything even remotely against this film no matter how peaceful or intelligent and the mob arrives

585603d34a5b1af5fad3ddc525cf1e83.jpg

My reaction after checking this and the previous page.
You guys posting on other forums need to check the banner/url up top.

585603d34a5b1af5fad3ddc525cf1e83.jpg

My reaction after checking this and the previous page.
You guys posting on other forums need to check the banner/url up top.

All were doing is looking at the numbers though. Some seem to take it personally if we don't sing the praises of the movie. I'm a movie junkie. Numbers matter to me. If I don't see the numbers for a sequel. I'm going to speak my mind about it.

All were doing is looking at the numbers though. Some seem to take it personally if we don't sing the praises of the movie. I'm a movie junkie. Numbers matter to me. If I don't see the numbers for a sequel. I'm going to speak my mind about it.
If it's in regard to a post you made earlier in here, that's quite the delayed reaction.

Momo is right guys, lionsgate and saban are gonna get super rich off of this movie, it's crazy how much money they are gonna make

the problem is their south american and european and maybe their asian distributors are gonna feel like saban and lionsgate ripped them off

As for PR, it took me a few hours to truly process that we are overly praising a film for having an okay opening that's way below most Superhero films. Even that crappy and crappy looking Green Lantern film opened to 53mil 6 years ago. Hell, I'd like a sequel but I refuse to pretend that something special happened when it didn't. Now if it legs it out to 150+mil I'll be impressed.

I'm just glad Lionsgate hedged their bets with this movie. No huge cliffhangers, it's self-contained and has a proper ending.

I would be happy if LGF went ahead with a sequel, but if they don't, I'm fine with it.

I met JDF at a convention. Is he full of himself. Yes. Not very bright? Sure. But he went absolutely out of the way for his fans. One of my best experiences at a convention and he recorded a video message to my little boy who couldn't make it.

^This is why I don't flat-out dislike the guy. I have heard nothing but great stories about how he treats his fans. With all of his faults, at least he knows to treat his fans well.

I've been debating on going to a convention sometime this June, and JDF is going to be a guest there. I'm seriously thinking about meeting him on behalf of my brother who has autism (he gets very nervous and uncomfortable in crowds, so a big convention is out of the question for him). My brother loves literally everything about Power Rangers, so of course I'd get something with the Green Ranger on it and have JDF sign it for him.

I think it says a lot about JDF that I would actually want to meet him in confidence that he probably wouldn't act like a jerk to me. *shrug*

Momo is right guys, lionsgate and saban are gonna get super rich off of this movie, it's crazy how much money they are gonna make

the problem is their south american and european and maybe their asian distributors are gonna feel like saban and lionsgate ripped them off

How are they going to get super rich off this?

Anyways still have Italy, Spain, Korea and Japan to open. Lets see what they do there first.

Green Lantern cost twice as this movie did though.

How are they going to get super rich off this?

Anyways still have Italy, Spain, Korea and Japan to open. Lets see what they do there first.

lionsgate made power rangers for $100,000,000 + $30,000,000 marketing budget

they pre sold rights for $100,000,000 if the movie makes $130,000,000 Domestic, they keep 50% which is $35,000,000 profit from power rangers and saban gets half of toy sells profit with bandai

and it looks like the only international partners that are gonna make money is asia, but not enough for a sequel, because no china

Last edited:
Saw this at RB and figured might as well bring it over

David Spitz, Lionsgate’s domestic theatrical distribution president, noted that the movie showed strong traction amid all demographics — even with “Beauty and the Beast” remaining a potent draw. “We always thought the two films could be complementary to each other,” he added.
Spitz also noted that “Power Rangers” debuted in the same late March slot as the studio’s “Hunger Games” and “Divergent,” enabling it to take advantage of the spring break for moviegoers.
http://variety.com/2017/film/box-of...x-office-life-power-rangers-chips-1202016142/

“Power Rangers” landed in second place with a $40.5-million debut, beating analyst projections of $35 million in ticket sales.

“We’re very, very pleased,” said David Spitz, the studio’s distribution chief. “It’s always nice when you come in over expectations.”
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-power-rangers-box-office-20170326-story.html

everything i just said lionsgate is gonna get rich, the companies that gave them money for power rangers are not

everything i just said lionsgate is gonna get rich, the companies that gave them money for power rangers are not
They are not getting rich off this movie. And by rich I mean at least a hundred million. Because right now we are looking at a loss on the domestic/UK market alone.

Last edited:
lionsgate made power rangers for $100,000,000 + $30,000,000 marketing budget

they pre sold rights for $100,000,000 if the movie makes $130,000,000 Domestic, they keep 50% which is $35,000,000 profit from power rangers and saban gets half of toy sells profit with bandai

and it looks like the only international partners that are gonna make money is asia, but not enough for a sequel, because no china

I don't believe that $100 million price tag they suddenly threw in there. I believe the $120-$140 million estimates.

Obviously the Lionsgate theatrical distribution president is not going to s*** talk the film's performance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"