Lionsgate "Power Rangers" - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
This movie was really setup like Divergent or the Maze Runner. Movie series that clearly have a lower ceiling based almost exclusively on fan interest.

I mean, I was expecting Maze Runner and early Divergent money.

Not I Am Number 4, The 5th Wave, Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, Eragon, Percy Jackson money.

**************.com is reporting that lionsgate is only on the hook for 25% of the 100million dollar budget and could still do a lower budgeted sequel if they think the green ranger plot would do better business

I mean, I was expecting Maze Runner and early Divergent money.

Not I Am Number 4, The 5th Wave, Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy, Eragon, Percy Jackson money.

:funny:

And I'm still thinking even with that 25% number there's no way this gets a sequel. First impressions count for a lot with films like this, and if people weren't motivated to be involved this time, no matter what they do with a Green Ranger plot, a sequel would flop too.

This is one of those situations where the sequel would do worse imo. Like TMNT this last time around.

Though it would be interesting to see how they slash 25m or more from the budget. How much cheaper can they make a movie look, with what should be more suit time, more zords and more action.

At some point I have to imagine it'd just look like a 2 hour episode. The effects are likely to be as bad or worse than the show with a slashed budget.

One thing I find interesting is the reporting of Lionsgate's cost. It almost always avoids the fact that they had to pay for advertising and other such distribution cost. So even if they only paid 26m for the production of the movie, they paid another 30m getting this movie out in the US, Canada and UK at least.

That's the reality of it yeah. Since studios only end up with about half of the theatre gross, and considering the pre-sales of distribution rights to produce the film, I wouldn't even assume that Lionsgate has turned a profit yet.

Ninja Turtles is the exact comparison they're going to be making. The second one dropped hard and unless they fall ass first into glowing reviews and word of mouth, that should be the expectation for this ip as well. A sequel would need to be absolute bargain basement stuff to avoid all involved losing their shirts. Practical suits and enemies with little to no CGI requirements, scale models and costumes for the robots (although I will say Colossal did quite well in this area with a micro budget, albeit with much of it consisting of creative cuts and all of it happening at night), so yes almost like a 2 hour episode, but shooting for something more along the lines of low-budget action sci-fi mainstays such as Underworld and Resident Evil.

Pie in the sky, though. Flops don't get sequels.

They already cheaped out with this movie, how would they get away with a lower budget for the sequel?

Thats's why it was so baffling how the movie takes place in rural Canada..when at least it should look like a beach town in California. Even the TV show Psych, with took place in 'NoCal' was filmed in Canada.

Did they set it in Canada for the film? I forget.

They already cheaped out with this movie, how would they get away with a lower budget for the sequel?

Well the Green Ranger saga was a multi-parter back in 93 where Dragonzord wasn't used for all 5 episodes. They could do the same with this and simply not have Zords for now and just focus on ground action.

Thats's why it was so baffling how the movie takes place in rural Canada..when at least it should look like a beach town in California. Even the TV show Psych, with took place in 'NoCal' was filmed in Canada.

Did they set it in Canada for the film? I forget.

Its set in Cali, just filmed in Canada because its cheaper to film up there. Cali is EXPENSIVE.

Well the Green Ranger saga was a multi-parter back in 93 where Dragonzord wasn't used for all 5 episodes. They could do the same with this and simply not have Zords for now and just focus on ground action.

See, this is where it is boggling the mind. There is clear evidence that kaiju action is on the rise in popularity. Especially in China. That they chose not to have a grand zord battle boggles the mind. Especially after we have seen how Kong has performed.

See, this is where it is boggling the mind. There is clear evidence that kaiju action is on the rise in popularity. Especially in China. That they chose not to have a grand zord battle boggles the mind. Especially after we have seen how Kong has performed.

Exactly this. It would be very easy to say that it was a money issue and that's why they cheapened out (especially in regards to the Zord battle), but I'm choosing to believe that it wasn't that the money wasn't there, it just wasn't used right.

Last edited:
Well my fellow PR fans...at least we can say we had a better opening weekend than Alien Covenant ....:/

Too be fair, Alien Covenant is going to make a lot more money.

Power Rangers dropped 98% in its second weekend in China. Early reports in Japan are that its not doing well there either in limited release.

This won't even get to $145 million WW.

KJ2005Dawn

If power rangers doesn't do

$50,000,000 Ow in china and $8,000,000 in korea

and $15,000,000 opening weekend in Japan, i am going to be the first to say no sequel, but until then wait

Last edited:
This sucks because I liked the movie and wanted at least one more sequel to greenlit more.

It's not even going to make $5 million in China.

It's dead Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"