Lionsgate "Power Rangers" - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, one minor things I forgot mention last night is....in this movie, there are no Name Team Calling, the moment where Rangers one by one shouts out their name and at the end, they shout the team name.

That is actually one important element in Sentai series, according to recent interview with the Toei producer, the team name calling is a strong symbolism for any Sentai. A symbolism that may be too cheesy for American taste, hehe but I am fine with it.

Sorry i forgot one last other things....I want to talk about the villain.

Rita is based on the original Zyuuranger nemesis, Witch Bandora (which her footage is used also by Power Rangers TV series, she payed by late Soga Machiko, who famously play a lot of villain in other Tokusatsu genre besides Super Sentai).
Rita in this new Power Rangers movie is not anything like her more comical TV version/Zyuuranger's counterpart....She is more dark and has an eerie atmosphere in this.

Speaking of villain, there are typically 3 types villains in any Sentai series:
1. An alien who wants to take over and invade earth
2. A other dimentional being from another dimention who somewhat can make their way into earth a d wants to conquer it.
3. An ancient beings (that be monsters, beasts, youkai, witches) from ancient time who somewhat wakes up in modern era and wants great power to conquer earth.
Yes, they are all can be considered a traditional one dimentional characters (only few exception villains had depth story arc like Fuuwa Juuzo & Usukawa Dayu from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (2009) & Rio from Juken Sentai Gekiranger (2007))

Rita in this new Power Rangers movie can the considered as type no 3 villains, there are a lot of Sentai villains who had similar characteristic with Rita.... on top of my head, The Bouma Tribe from Turboranger (1989), Infersia Kingdom from Magiranger (2005), Yuuma Beast from Goseiger (2010), Dai Ma-ou from Kakuranger (1994).

And, I also do not realized that the big gold kaijuu at the end of the movie is America/Power Rangers version of Griffoza :D
I'm curious to see the other of Bandora Gang such as Tottopatto, Bukbak, and Puripurikan to get the new movie version also, haha

Ok, that is my final thoughts on this movie....
and i'd like to apologize to the others for the long thoughts and review since last night...
*Pardon my Sentai anthusiast-em...It is on "Switch On Mode" ever since i finished watched the movie last night.* Haha

Don't excuse yourself for those posts. You can write how much you want, it's a free forum. Do you live in Japan? If so, how is the movie received there?

Oh, one minor things I forgot mention last night is....in this movie, there are no Name Team Calling, the moment where Rangers one by one shouts out their name and at the end, they shout the team name.

That is actually one important element in Sentai series, according to recent interview with the Toei producer, the team name calling is a strong symbolism for any Sentai. A symbolism that may be too cheesy for American taste, hehe but I am fine with it.

Oh, we had this argument a few threads back, I recall. It was totally possible and plausible to do. It's just a victim of the juvenile "mature" mindset the director had.

It really genuinely warms my heart reading these reactions and people finally watching the movie (which for individual reasons they skipped during the theatre run). Good to hear some positive thoughts and seeing how so many people were surprised it didn't suck. I would say more but it's going to be turned into a technical debate, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for posting your reviews guys. Looking forward to seeing more reactions now that more people get a chance to see it. Marvel_SKE, that was an awesome post.

The only reason I didn't see it at the cinema was because my wife wouldn't see it. I didn't really fancy going on my own and none of my mates were into it. Funny thing is a guy who I go to the cinema with for all the big films watched it recently and he enjoyed it too. But I couldn't get him to go see it prior probably because he had no prior knowledge of the old series like I did.

The only reason I didn't see it at the cinema was because my wife wouldn't see it. I didn't really fancy going on my own and none of my mates were into it. Funny thing is a guy who I go to the cinema with for all the big films watched it recently and he enjoyed it too. But I couldn't get him to go see it prior probably because he had no prior knowledge of the old series like I did.

I mentioned this here before when asked why this movie was doing so badly at the box-office. But of course this reason didn't satisfy people who wanted to believe their narrative that it was because it was a crappy movie and people hated it. How many times have I read online (here, twitter, Facebook etc) the words along this line "I finally saw this and I expected it to suck, but actually enjoyed it"? A lot of people skipped the theatrical run. Sure some probably streamed illegal versions but most are renting it now. I have the same problem myself where at least 2 people didn't want to see the movie when I asked them prior to the release. They had the same reaction which was that Power Rangers is lame. Even with the trailers that had a different tone from the original show. So generally, not enough people wanted anything to do with it just because of a stigma around it. Assuming Power Rangers was going to do superhero like numbers was never going to happen.

It wasn't horrible but... SOOO SLLLOOOOOWWWWWW!!

At least three times my 9yo was telling us that she was bored.

Haha! I'll give you that, it has a slow pace at times and can see how some people might be turned off by that.

I was one of those people who had interest in watching the film at the theater but didn't actually go see it due to my circumstances. Not everyone who wants to watch a film gets the chance to watch it.

I was one of those people who had interest in watching the film at the theater but didn't actually go see it due to my circumstances. Not everyone who wants to watch a film gets the chance to watch it.

Definitely, since we had a little one I barely get time to watch my TV shows so I have to pick my cinema choices carefully. Although as I said before with Power Rangers I could have seen it but I didn't know anyone else that wanted to see it. One of the reasons I can't wait until my little one is older I can take him to see a lot of films,

Last edited:
[checks info]

Why yes, yes it has. Have to look back at some of the outrageous predictions for Japan. This might make $2 million in Japan. Might.

I think we can put a fork in it. No sequel.

It is going to make less money WW then GotG V2's opening weekend, domestic only. All the big international markets rejected it.

Last edited:
Oh, should've guessed that was a PBU.

To be fair, it was the last territory to open.

Oh I agree, didn't expect it to succeed at all in Japan. Just amusing and petty that he would attempt this kind of tactic. Haha

I don't think it is the first time. Isn't it at least the second time a PBU showed up in this thread?

I don't think it is the first time. Isn't it at least the second time a PBU showed up in this thread?

Good question, not sure. I just encountered that poster in one specific thread and the only other thread he posted in, was here. He created 3 different accounts to troll that thread. It's just a shame someone goes through all that trouble rather than engaging in level headed discussions with other people.

Sorry for the off-topic. I've definitely accepted that any chance of a sequel is toast.

I think it's been way more than two times, honestly. The weird thing is they always come right back to this thread...no sense of giving **** a rest. :funny:

No sequel news = dead :(

I actually loved the movie, despite it being too slow

Interesting news:

Saban just sold the entire PR IP to Hasbro

“Shortly after entering into our licensing arrangement, it became clear that now was the time to begin investing in unlocking Power Rangers’ full potential,” Brian Goldner, Hasbro’s chairman and CEO, said in a statement. “We see significant opportunity for Power Rangers across our entire Brand Blueprint, including toys and games, consumer products, digital gaming and entertainment, as well as geographically throughout our global retail footprint.”

Now we all know Hasbro and Paramount are in cahoots.

Maybe Hasbro is going to try for a soft or hard reboot somewhere down the line.

Again not specific sequel news...but interesting news none the less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"