Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what if Snyder is the guy directing JL?

If "Man of Steel" makes $1.5 billion plus (something nobody here probably thought it would do at this forum) I would not be surprised if Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder said they needed to focus on MoS2 (which they would try to rush to get out by 2015) and be silent about JL. I don't think that kind of box office performance was in the cards. You see, with that kind of success, the franchise could go up against Marvel's avengers by itself and probably make just as much money or more that summer. Now, if it made just over $500 million, I could see them stratigizing to get a Justice League film out with the hopes that the presence of multiple heroes would get them enough hype to draw an audience that could be competitive with Marvels Avengers franchise. I could be wrong, though since I am just speculating here.

well, lets hope we don't hear him say, after MoS makes 700 mill, and we're sitting around waiting on a sequel announcement...
''I thought perhaps it should have made a billion.'' lol.

If "Man of Steel" makes $1.5 billion plus (something nobody here probably thought it would do at this forum) I would not be surprised if Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder said they needed to focus on MoS2 (which they would try to rush to get out by 2015) and be silent about JL. I don't think that kind of box office performance was in the cards. You see, with that kind of success, the franchise could go up against Marvel's avengers by itself and probably make just as much money or more that summer. Now, if it made just over $500 million, I could see them stratigizing to get a Justice League film out with the hopes that the presence of multiple heroes would get them enough hype to draw an audience that could be competitive with Marvels Avengers franchise. I could be wrong, though since I am just speculating here.
I don't think any great solo superhero has a top level as high as a great team of superheroes has, especially overseas. I don't think any Iron Man film for eg could dream about making IM3 money without having had a link to Avengers. Put a Cavill Superman into a JL film with a Bale level Batman and the other main members done justice :-)woot:) and that can make more than whatever MoS makes. And all the members of that team could see a big boost to their own franchise.

It's so much easier to create true event film status with a bunch of superheroes. Avengers 2 could be on for $2B and there's no reason why a good JL film can't achieve anything that an Avengers film can. And the other thing Superman himself would be the lead in a JL film & thereby benefit even more so as long as WB was confident they could make a good enough JL film then I'm quite sure this would be their intention (whatever figure MoS comes up with).

What a dumbass.

I'm not sure why he felt the need to publicly announce what is essentially a fantasy hope sentiment at this point? Maybe to appease share holders?

I mean if this film does any less than 1.3 billion now he's going to look foolish :doh:

I still think $700m should have been the goal the whole time and i still think this is what the film will make around barring it really exploding. I still have doubts internationally as to what it can do?

I'm not sure why he felt the need to publicly announce what is essentially a fantasy hope sentiment at this point? Maybe to appease share holders?

I mean if this film does any less than 1.3 billion now he's going to look foolish :doh:

I still think $700m should have been the goal the whole time and i still think this is what the film will make around barring it really exploding. I still have doubts internationally as to what it can do?
Shareholders never forget! Giving public unrealistic earnings forecasts to shareholders or the stock market is not far from corporate fraud. It won't be that.

More likely just trying to create buzz for potential viewers. And if MoS disappoints at all he will look a complete idiot.

I think what he's saying reflects on what he perceives of the quality of the film. In his mind, or rather in a perfect world, this would be WB's biggest hit yet. Logistically this wouldn't be all that hard to do. WB has a few films on the all time WW list. But Iron man 3 has shown that surpassing them isn't all that difficult.

For example does anyone here think that MoS2 won't surpass Harry Potter and become "WB's biggest hit?"

I for one think Snyder directing this material and not some super niche super divisive product and with Nolan and Goyer's involvement is at the very least, going to make exec's very happy.

Saying a potential MoS sequel passing DH2 is still presumptuous.

Ah, so Warners, you are supposed to lower expectations not raise them. Have they learned nothing from the Superman Returns debacle?

Now asside from what I said and irrespective of what happens opening, week Jeff Robinov predicts that "Man of Steel" will be Warner Bros. best film yet. According to Variety that would mean that the expectation is that it would out perform films like “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″, "The Dark Knight", and "The Dark Knight Rises", which all made over $1 billion (the Harry Potter film was the highest at $1.3 billion).

I can't find the Robinov quote, but I remember him saying something like it will be WB's biggest earning movie for this years summer.

It doesn't mean that it will earn more than HP-Deathly Hallows part 2 or TDKR.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warner-bros-sets-bar-high-for-latest-and-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

Edit: OK, I found the Variety page that claims that Robinov said that, but where is his direct quote ? Something is not right here.

Last edited:
Shareholders never forget! Giving public unrealistic earnings forecasts to shareholders or the stock market is not far from corporate fraud. It won't be that.

More likely just trying to create buzz for potential viewers. And if MoS disappoints at all he will look a complete idiot.

It's not fraud, but it is possibly negligent misrepresentation and if the statement had a material effect on WB's stock price, it could give rise to a claim for damages.

Still laughing at all the 1B + predictions. It's ludicrous.

I really do not hope that we don't get a sequel because it didn't make 1B. It's gonna make around 600-700 worldwide IMO.

TASM got a sequel with 750M. Unless it pulls a Superman Returns, we'll get a sequel.

I can't find the Robinov quote, but I remember him saying something like it will be WB's biggest earning movie for this years summer.

It doesn't mean that it will earn more than HP-Deathly Hallows part 2 or TDKR.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/w...-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

Edit: OK, I found the Variety page that claims that Robinov said that, but where is his direct quote ? Something is not right here.

The article says this:

...Warner Bros. motion pictures group president Jeff Robinov went so far as to predict it will be the studio’s highest performer ever. That would mean the 3D movie, which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million to market and release around the globe, would have to top the $1.3 billion cume for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″ and the $1 billion-plus each earned by four other Warner releases, “The Dark Knight,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”...
The highest performer ever means this year or any previous year and it does mean that it would have to earn more than $1.3 billion, which was the take for HPADH2.

Maybe in his mind he thinks it could be "the avengers" for WB for whatever reason. Maybe superficially he's grouping those two movies together in the fact they have flashy super-powered heroes in them?

Regardless it's pretty misguided. Well to be fair in his mind probably GL was the next Iron Man. (not comparing gl and mos)

I think Robinov is basing his prediction on the fact that the film is tracking higher than nay other film this year at the same point in time. That means that it would be tracking higher than IM3 was 6 days prior to release and that film is currently grossing $1.2 billion worldwide. If that's the case, then it would stand to reason that it could surpass $1.3 billion, which would make MoS the WB's highest grossing film (and hence why Robinov called it).

Man of Steel is not getting a billion, it could come close but it is a long shot.

Still sticking to around 130 million OW and anywhere from 350-400 Domestic. Anything lower than 95 OW will be a disappointment. But I fully expect MOS to break box-office records for June. With inflation Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has the record at 119 million. But Transformers Revenge of the Fallen would have Crushed the June record if it opened on a Friday.

For any indication, I for one am seeing Man of Steel 4 times next weekend. I am taking 5 different people (who would not have seen Man of Steel OW if not for me) Again, I saw Avengers twice and TDKR twice last year. And Batman has been my fav. super-hero of all-time(TDK my favorite CBM). I have faith this movie will do over 100, but how much over is the Real question that most studios and box-office people can't tell you. Mainly because it is impossible to track once tracking reaches 100 million.

600M WW prediction. I'll be floored if it does anything over 700M.

But Iron man 3 has shown that surpassing them isn't all that difficult.

How?

Or, to be more frank, No, you are completely wrong. Iron Man 3 has shown that you can surpass all of them if you are the latest entry in an extremely popular series that just had a record-breaking predecessor the prior year. That has literally nothing to say for WB's ability to break records with a reboot of a series that hasn't had a popular entry in decades.

I'll be seeing it thursday nite @ 7, then again at midnite, then again the next day. ( if its good that is)
if its as good as we think it is, 650/700 mill.

I think Robinov is basing his prediction on the fact that the film is tracking higher than nay other film this year at the same point in time. That means that it would be tracking higher than IM3 was 6 days prior to release and that film is currently grossing $1.2 billion worldwide. If that's the case, then it would stand to reason that it could surpass $1.3 billion, which would make MoS the WB's highest grossing film (and hence why Robinov called it).
at this time in presales IM3 had been selling tickets for about a day and a half .
Everybody forgets that Presales for IM3 were DELAYED .

I'll be seeing it thursday nite @ 7, then again at midnite, then again the next day. ( if its good that is)
if its as good as we think it is, 650/700 mill.

So, two times that night... and one time the next night? Jesus, three viewings in 2 days.

I saw Terminator 2 5 times in 5 days , Fourth of July weekend, I was very tired afterwards!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back