Marvel Now - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither, though I will still be buying the hell out of Captain Marvel. Heyo!

It is whining and closed minded to come in and immediately call an idea stupid when you know absolutely nothing about the basis of the book or why Angela is picking up the Ms. Marvel moniker. You don't even know what Angela is in the Marvel universe. Just because they brung her in doesn't mean it's stupid for them to give the character a title named anything other than Angela. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect sense because it allows them to keep the Ms. Marvel trademark in use, situates Angela in the Marvel universe in a familiar manner, and in turn gives buyers a familiar title to gravitate to when they don't necessarily know why they should care about Angela at all.

Those are the kinds of things people don't think about when you immediately jump off and call something stupid. You're looking for reasons why it's stupid based on a kneejerk reaction of them rebranding a character they just acquired, and not thinking about WHY it makes sense and why Marvel would do it. I'd rather have them rebrand her as Ms. Marvel and give her book a chance than title it Angela and have a lot of comic fans not even giving the book a try because they have no historical attachment to the character.

Anyway, depending on the premise, I'll be picking it up. I have a feeling it will be very cosmic and relevant to what's going in the Marvel universe and everything ailing it. And also explore a new side of it, since Angela may well be an angel.

Also, I find it interesting that they didn't attach a creative team to it. This makes me think they didn't want to because it would spoil who the character was referring to...which in turn makes me think that Neil Gaiman is going to be writing this. We'll see.

Are you mental? First off - it's my opinion. I think it's dumb. That's my initial reaction. I said what I had to say, I'm not spamming, I'm not flaming others for thinking it's a great idea. The last time I checked, you're not a Mod, so don't act like you're above others because you don't agree. :nono:

Also, how does it make business sense? Ms. Marvel is property of Marvel Comics. Just because the character isn't using that name right now doesn't mean they're going to lose it to public domain. Weak argument there. :down

I will neither pick up a book called Ms.Marvel nor Angela.

:yay:

I would buy a Ms. Marvel book if it was Carol wearing the costume again or if it was someone else that made more sense......like Sharon Ventura or Monica Rambeau....two people that have an actual history with the name.

Ugh,so theres going to be a new Ms. Marvel? Hate it. That was Carol's codename, her identity, her legacy and now its hit that much harder that its been removed from her and thrown at someone else. Horrible, especially since they've fumbled so bad trying to make her happen. She's Ms. Marvel in recent cartoon and videogame appearances, but now Captain Marvel in the books and its going to be a different Ms. Marvel here as well, all of which is inconsistent with mainstream exposure to her. If she ever makes her way to the movies, what will she even be? Theres too much brand confusion going on and its like Marvel doesn't know how to properly market her

I would buy a Ms. Marvel book if it was Carol wearing the costume again or if it was someone else that made more sense......like Sharon Ventura or Monica Rambeau....two people that have an actual history with the name.
Is it for sure Angela? I read speculation that it could be Rogue, with the letters being green and her history with Carol

Last edited:
Are you mental? First off - it's my opinion. I think it's dumb. That's my initial reaction. I said what I had to say, I'm not spamming, I'm not flaming others for thinking it's a great idea. The last time I checked, you're not a Mod, so don't act like you're above others because you don't agree. :nono:

Also, how does it make business sense? Ms. Marvel is property of Marvel Comics. Just because the character isn't using that name right now doesn't mean they're going to lose it to public domain. Weak argument there. :down
How am I modding? I'm telling you your opinion is a kneejerk reaction, as you pretty much admit there, just using "initial reaction" as a substitute. As I said, you know nothing about what the title will be like or why they're doing it. Calling it dumb immediately is what I said, close minded. I wouldn't give a **** but I see this type of mentality too much lately when it comes to comics and why Marvel does what they do. Fans think it's "stupid" because they don't understand the business sense behind it, but everything they do is to sale the comics and they know full well what they're doing. As I said, you're looking for reasons to complain immediately, instead of thinking WHY they're doing it.

Wanting to keep the trademark in use doesn't mean you're trying to keep the rights all the time. It's for marketing and merchandising purposes as well as historical relevance. It connects with people more. It's not a weak argument, you just don't get the business sense behind it and how it works with the comic industry.

Last edited:
Wanting to keep the trademark in use doesn't mean you're trying to keep the rights all the time. It's for marketing and merchandising purposes as well as historical relevance. It connects with people more. It's not a weak argument, you just don't get the business sense behind it and how it works with the comic industry.
they aren't in danger of losing the Ms. Marvel trademark. They use it regular in their cartoons, videogames, non-canon books, etc... They don't have to make Angela the new Ms. Marvel in order to hold on to it. They could have finally had Carol become Ms. Marvel in the Ultimate line to keep it going on a more continuous basis within the books. That'd have made sense.

As far as marketing goes, having someone other than Carol as Ms. Marvel is a horrible decision for reasons I expressed in my previous post. They continually have and continue to use her as Ms. Marvel in outside media yet they will have someone else in the role which is an automatic disconnect with potential readers that may flock to the books to find her, only to see a different person in the role and Ms. Marvel actually in a different persona as Captain. Such inconsistency between products isn't a good idea, especially since they've been trying to push her as the company's leading lady for quite some time now

Last edited:
Hey everybody....no one can have an opinion on this but one approved by Mr. Dent.

Whatever, I'm done with the conversation. Everyone else sees how he's acting.

My opinion is that it's dumb idea. He thinks it's a great idea. More power to him. I hope he buys 50 copies of the first issue.

If a character's name/logo/whatever has not been used within a ten year period, such character cam enter public domain and Marvel or DC could lose the use of that name... it's why we get a Man-Thing mini-series every decade. or a Howard the Duck mini, or a WereWolf by Night mini... etc...

The A-List characters have nothing to worry about, but it's the C-List characters that comic book company lawyers keep an eye on and send letters to Marvel or DC that said character needs to be used...

A Ms.Marvel title was last used in 2010, so I doubt that's the case here...

:yay:

I've read elsewhere that quite a few people are leaning toward Rogue as a new Ms. Marvel. The history is there, and she matches the silhouette. Personally, I think its stupid that they change Carol to Captain Marvel (a dumb change if you ask me) and then they're like... "We need a Ms. Marvel!"

I'd read a Rogue series as Ms. Marvel. Especially is she gets that power set back.

Last edited:
If Rogue became Ms. Marvel then people will be able to spell her name.

2092006-rogue23.jpg

OR how about Julia Carpenter as Ms. Marvel? I could actually go for that

Last edited:
Really, because I think that Elektra as the new Ms. Marvel would sell like hotcakes. :o

I will pick up the book.

From the comic standpoint, it works having someone else take on the mantle, since Carol took on another. Plus, it provides some extra (and awesome) storytelling possibilities with Angela. Thus, I am very pleased with the decision. Well done, Marvel. :up: :up:

There's storyline possibilities with Angela in the Marvel Universe without giving her the Ms. Marvel name. Repackaging her this soon makes zero sense to me.

I could understand them doing it if no one is interested in reading about her right out of the gate but to do it this soon...? It seems to me like Marvel had ZERO clue what to do with her after obtaining the rights to her.

There's storyline possibilities with Angela in the Marvel Universe without giving her the Ms. Marvel name. Repackaging her this soon makes zero sense to me.

I could understand them doing it if no one is interested in reading about her right out of the gate but to do it this soon...? It seems to me like Marvel had ZERO clue what to do with her after obtaining the rights to her.

I did not say that there were no storyline possibilities for Angela in the MU; I merely stated it provided some extra (which I then quantified with awesome) possibilities. I would argue that considering how long they have a lot of the narratives planned in advance - Age of Ultron beginning early on in Mighty Avengers-they have some clues on how to adjust her to the framework. Now, the reverse could be true: they plot the stories well in advance but did not exercise said effort in plotting her within the canon. However, I would argue that the interviews (or at least as I recall them - which might be with a few degrees of inaccuracy, due to the length of time from when I first read them-indicated they had begun plotting her role for a good amount of time.)

Again, we have polarized reactions on this scenario and I do anticipate any agreement being reached.

A grown up Marvel Girl = Ms. Marvel. If Angela is Jean Grey "reborn" as an "Angel" in "Heaven" it would explain why they would give her the Ms. Marvel moniker and what her connection to it is. It also explains why Tony and Peter said she looks familiar in GOTG 6, especially considering we know Peter saw a young Jean Grey in his visions of the future and past when the timestream broke which means Bendis provided a direct clue for what was going on in his book and the hints aren't something you have to have outside knowledge to get (beyond the fact knowing Jean dies anyway). Also remember that Angela is on the Guardians of the Galaxy roster during the Trial of Jean Grey event...perhaps there is more to that than just Bendis wanting her on the roster and isn't a coincidence? It also opens up a ton of possibilities about what heaven and angels are that can be explored in the new Ms. Marvel title.

Just throwing that out there.

A grown up Marvel Girl = Ms. Marvel. If Angela is Jean Grey "reborn" as an "Angel" in "Heaven" it would explain why they would give her the Ms. Marvel moniker and what her connection to it is. It also explains why Tony and Peter said she looks familiar in GOTG 6, especially considering we know Peter saw a young Jean Grey in his visions of the future and past when the timestream broke which, as far as we know, is the only way Peter has ever seen Jean Grey. Also remember that Angela is on the Guardians of the Galaxy roster during the Trial of Jean Grey event...perhaps there is more to that than just Bendis wanting her on the roster and isn't a coincidence. It also opens up a ton of possibilities about what heaven and angels are that can be explored in the new Ms. Marvel title.

Just throwing that out there.

Interesting...:yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"