Marvel Now - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Land won't be on the book long.

Land is a book killer. He really hurt Gillen's Iron Man with his presence.

I only counted 5, did you accidentally count White Tiger, who is hispanic? Or did someone say the new Ronin was black as well and I missed it?

Yeah, you're right. I miscounted. I wasn't counting White Tiger because I knew she was Hispanic, but I somehow got six. But now that I'm thinking about it, Power Man is either Hispanic or half black/half Hispanic (I can't remember if his dad was black or Hispanic), so I don't know that he'd count either.

Brevoort said the majority of the team was black, so if he's not counting Power Man, then Ronin has to be black. If he is counter Power Man, then Ronin's skin color's up in the air.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46330

I was ready to drop Thunderbolts as it has had abysmal writing and (at least for the first six issues) terrible art but the new creative team(s) seem promising. I've never read Swamp Thing but Charles Soule seems to be well-respected over at DC. Maybe he can breathe some new life into this title...

Land is a book killer. He really hurt Gillen's Iron Man with his presence.
That's the main reason I never tried the Marvel NOW Iron Man. I love Gillen's writing, but Land is one of the few artists who override literally everything else about a comic for me. If he's on it, I am not purchasing that comic, period.

That's the main reason I never tried the Marvel NOW Iron Man. I love Gillen's writing, but Land is one of the few artists who override literally everything else about a comic for me. If he's on it, I am not purchasing that comic, period.

Gillen may be a great writer but his first arc on Iron Man wasn't very good either. Combined with Land's art, the first 5 issues or so were the worst Iron Man arc in probaby ten years.

Glad I skipped it, then. I haven't been hearing great things about his current stuff, either. He's apparently retconning stuff about Tony's past in huge swaths, which is almost never a good idea.

Glad I skipped it, then. I haven't been hearing great things about his current stuff, either. He's apparently retconning stuff about Tony's past in huge swaths, which is almost never a good idea.

I dropped the title with issue 5 but I haven't heard good things about the retcon. Apparently Marvel's getting some much deserved backlash over the "expansion" of Tony's origin. It really is completely unneccessary and only cheapens the character.

I know a lot of people hated Fraction's Invincible Iron Man run. It clearly had it's problems but I personally thought it was decent. However, after four years and a 25 issue (approximately) story arc that just wouldn't end, I was glad to see him leave. This is just an example of the whole "grass is always greener" scenario in real life.

I wish the Knauffs would come back. The "Director of Shield" stuff was fantastic.

More Marvel NOW Wave 2 rumors point to Astonishing X-Men and X-Factor getting relaunched alongside a new Inhumans book.

I'm curious to see what the new X-Factor will look like. I know it won't be PAD's bunch of lovable outcasts, but I hope the concept of a mutant team on the outskirts of the X-Men franchise as a whole remains. It's nice to have a team dealing with mutants that doesn't get sucked too far into all the bulls*** of the main X-Men fare.

I wish the Knauffs would come back. The "Director of Shield" stuff was fantastic.
That would be great. I loved their Iron Man work, especially their reinvention of the Mandarin.

2 more X-Men titles? :dry:

Actually I might pick up Astonishing.

More Marvel NOW rumors point to Matt Fraction either leaving FF or the title ending rather soon and that Mark Bagley will be replaced on Fantastic Four. And that Young Avengers and Avengers Arena might get relaunched.

a relaunch for avengers arena? a concept that was at best a mini-series anyway? interesting

How can you relaunch series that just started?
Apparently the idea is that Marvel will just constantly relaunch a book once a major shift in creative direction takes place. Like how Hopeless describes the next major story of Avengers Arena as season 2.

Apparently the idea is that Marvel will just constantly relaunch a book once a major shift in creative direction takes place. Like how Hopeless describes the next major story of Avengers Arena as season 2.

Wow, that is dumb. I guess the days of long series numbering is over.

I'm curious to see what the new X-Factor will look like. I know it won't be PAD's bunch of lovable outcasts, but I hope the concept of a mutant team on the outskirts of the X-Men franchise as a whole remains. It's nice to have a team dealing with mutants that doesn't get sucked too far into all the bulls*** of the main X-Men fare.

Hmm, if that's true I might check out the relaunch.

It's "intimidating" to new readers :whatever:
But then they announce they are going to release Nova 100 as Nova 100, even though it's not a 100th issue of a particular Nova series, just so they can cash grab from people that like "collector" issues.

Last edited:
I don't really mind it, to be honest. Various indie publishers have always done it--Dark Horse with its Star Wars stuff (and, up until just recently, its Hellboy/BPRD stuff too), Red 5 with Atomic Robo, etc. Treating each story as a separate mini-series might be a bit awkward if you ever want to re-read them and don't remember the order, but if you're picking them up as they come out, what's the big deal?

More Marvel NOW rumors point to Matt Fraction either leaving FF or the title ending rather soon and that Mark Bagley will be replaced on Fantastic Four. And that Young Avengers and Avengers Arena might get relaunched.

Thank goodness they're considering dumping Bagley. People complain about Land but Bagley's work has been pathetic and lazy on Fantastic Four. It looks like a crumpled up newspaper comic strip.

I'm also looking forward to a fresh new take on X-Factor.

I wonder what the new X-Factor concept will be. I doubt it'll be another stab at the government-sponsored team, since Uncanny Avengers' Unity Avengers pretty much already are that.

Well, with the end of the issue last week, someone's certainly sponsoring them, that's for sure. And someone with enough clout to get Lorna out of prison after the stunt she pulled in that bar. I wouldn't be surprised if it is some other kind of government run team.

I'd be curious to know for sure what the roster is going to be. Then I'll decide if I want to continue with X-Factor or not. :(

Matt Fraction is leaving both F4 and FF.

SOURCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"