Marvel's What If...? - General Discussion

I think by far the biggest standout of the series has been the fight scenes. They can really let loose in so many departments and it shows, creative and cool new stuff.

The overall concept of What If hasn’t been explored to its full potential because of some creative boundaries and I feel like the interconnectivity of the series could’ve been much better with other threads other than the Watcher bringing everything together in a more cohesive and engaging manner.

There has also been issues with the pacing of certain episodes, uneven stuff… Plenty to improve upon going into the second season.

How I would rank each episode so far:
1) "What If... Ultron Won?"
2) "What If... Thor Were an Only Child?"
3) "What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?"/ "What If... the World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?"
4) "What If... Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?
5) "What If... Zombies?
6) "What If... T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?"
7) "What If... Captain Carter Were the First Avenger?

Final episode rankings:

1 - What If Ultron Had Won?
2 - What If The Watcher Broke His Oath?
3 - What If Thor Was an Only Child?
4 - What If Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?
5 - What If Earth Lost Its Mightiesr Heroes?
6 - What If T'Challa Was Starlord?
7 - What If Zombies
8 - What If Captain Carter Was the First Avenger?
9 - What If Tony Stark Was Saved by Killmonger?

All said and done....I would this as my least favorite series so far, and probably least favorite MCU entry. I don't see myself returning to all these episodes. Probably just like...half of then, and probably not all that often in the grand scheme. Not that the show is bad, though I think the animation is lacking when there isn't action going on. It is a good enough show for me to watch, but not one I will be endlessly hyping for future seasons or anything

Now that I've seen them all:

1. What If... Ultron Won?
2. What If... Thor Were An Only Child?
3. What If... The Watcher Broke His Oath?
4. What If... Zombies?!
5. What If... The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?
6. What If... T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?
7. What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?
8. What If... Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?
9. What If... Captain Carter Were the First Avenger?

I really enjoyed the show and I'm looking forward to season 2. It wasn't as much of an event as the live action shows have been but still a fun mixup in the MCU playground.

1. What If... Ultron Won?
2. What If... Thor Were An Only Child?
3. What If... The Watcher Broke His Oath?
4. What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?
5. What If... The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?
6. What If... T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?
7. What If... Captain Carter Were the First Avenger?
8. What If... Zombies?!
9. What If... Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?

The biggest drop for me was the Zombies episode. I had initially said it was my 2nd favorite when it first aired but after rewatching it, my excitement for the episode kinda diminished. On my 2nd watch I spent more time thinking about what I would do differently story wise then actually enjoying the episode. Killmonger, I thought was good but something about it just felt flat for me. Not sure what exactly but I guess I just enjoyed it the least out of all of them.

My updated ranking:

1. E7 / Party Thor
2. E8 / Ultron Prime
3. E9 / Guardians of the Multiverse
4. E6 / King Killmonger
5. E2 / T’Challa Star-Lord
6. E4 / Strange Supreme
7. E3 / Fury’s Big Week
8. E5 / Zombies
9. E1 / Captain Carter

If I had to rate the series I would probably give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Last edited:
Season Two characters:

Monica Rambeau, Agatha Harkness, John Walker, Jimmy Woo, Sam Wilson, the Eternals, Shang Chi, Katy and all of the returning characters are locks. Others like She Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel will depend on when Season Two is released.

My Final Ranking:

1. Strange Supreme - 9/10
2. What If Ultron Won - 8.5/10
3. If Thor Were an Only Child? - 8.5/10
4. What If The Watcher Broke His Oath - 8/10
5. If Earth Lost Its Mightiest Heroes? - 8/10
6. If Killmonger Rescued Tony? - 8/10
7. If Captain Carter Were the First Avenger? - 7/10
8. Zombies - 7/10
9. T'Challa Star-Lord - 7/10

I really did enjoy this series at the end of the day even if its not quite as great or as rewatchable as any of the live action Disney Plus Marvel shows so far and I still wish it had started a bit stronger.

I would definitely it atleast ended on a strong note with the last couple of episodes and that is more than enough to get me excited for Season 2 and hopefully they explore more of this show's true potenital.

Last edited:
What If? Assembled was okay. It would have been cool to see more voiceover sessions from the actors besides just Jeffrey Wright.

So I finally got around to watching episodes 3-9 after watching the first 2 episodes and not finishing it. The worst of the bunch is Zombies and the best is the finale. The finale is bittersweet though as it's the last thing I hear from Chadwick Boseman. What I hope for season two:

- Guest voices from Randall Park, Teyonah Parris, Liz Olsen, Kathryn Hahn, Wyatt Russell,Gugu Mbatha Raw, Tara Strong, Owen Wilson, Sophie DiMartino, Anthony Mackie, Simu Liu, Tessa Thompson, Bradley Cooper, Awkwafina, Rachael Weisz, David Harbour and Florence Pugh. As for the Eternals, well I could see the characters showing up, just voiced by different actors. There could be more voice work to come from Iman Vellani, Tatiana Maslany, Oscar Isaac or appearances from their characters depending on when Season Two is released.

Last edited:
Another thing about What If? and animated projects in the MCU:

- They could still bring back Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff without bring back RDJ, Chris Evans and Scar Jo. I don't mind those three coming back in this format, instead of live action.

Another thing about What If? and animated projects in the MCU:

- They could still bring back Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff without bring back RDJ, Chris Evans and Scar Jo. I don't mind those three coming back in this format, instead of live action.

For what reason though? Plus whenever there's some epic team up event going on in the movies, you're gonna have people ask why they're not showing up. Unless it's an alternate universe like in What If, I don't see the point.

For what reason though? Plus whenever there's some epic team up event going on in the movies, you're gonna have people ask why they're not showing up. Unless it's an alternate universe like in What If, I don't see the point.

Tony Stark and Natasha Romanoff is dead in live action and I don't think the other Marvel Animated shows should be canon to the MCU anyways, so they can make those characters still alive and not worry about canon.

Tony Stark and Natasha Romanoff is dead in live action and I don't think the other Marvel Animated shows should be canon to the MCU anyways, so they can make those characters still alive and not worry about canon.

Well that's fine and all but that's not what they're planning on doing. All future animated shows by Marvel Studios are going to be apart of the MCU.

Well that's fine and all but that's not what they're planning on doing. All future animated shows by Marvel Studios are going to be apart of the MCU.

Damn, well I guess those characters can return in non-canon video games then.

Likely the characters who will show up in season two (so far):

I would like to see an adaptation of Deadpool kills the marvel universe as an episode in either series 2 or 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"