Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

I don't really see the need to make a separate new organization to handle stuff that SHIELD already handles.

I don't really see the need to make a separate new organization to handle stuff that SHIELD already handles.
Even in the comics the two organizations handle too separate functions. When they say extraterrestrial, they really mean it. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s basic function is to handle things on earth. S.W.O.R.D.'s basic function is to handle things before they get to earth so they won't get to earth. Think of them as the C.I.A. and S.H.I.E.L.D. the F.B.I. (yes, I know SHIELD is worldwide). The CIA handle issues outside of the US to stop them from going to the US. That's what SWORD does the only difference is SWORD has jurisdiction everywhere concerning anything not from this earth or from this dimension.

Even in the comics the two organizations handle too separate functions. When they say extraterrestrial, they really mean it. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s basic function is to handle things on earth. S.W.O.R.D.'s basic function is to handle things before they get to earth so they won't get to earth. Think of them as the C.I.A. and S.H.I.E.L.D. the F.B.I. (yes, I know SHIELD is worldwide). The CIA handle issues outside of the US to stop them from going to the US. That's what SWORD does the only difference is SWORD has jurisdiction everywhere concerning anything not from this earth or from this dimension.

Right. And SWORD likely wouldn't have a reason to exist until the New Mexico incident. Now that SHIELD realizes that they can't handle the threat of alien invasion alone (after New York) they will likely split and beef up the extra terrestrial investigation.

Ms. Marvel seems like a good time to bring SWORD aboard. And SWORD was co-created by Joss Whedon. So you best believe he'll be trying to get it on screen :D and more power to him.

Thing is, there's nothing that a separate SWORD organization could do to handle aliens better, that SHIELD itself couldn't simply do itself.

Thing is, there's nothing that a separate SWORD organization could do to handle aliens better, that SHIELD itself couldn't simply do itself.

Okay...? Why does that matter. Thats like saying the CIA and FBI should be one big organization since the CIA could probably do the FBI's job better. Instead of having a Navy and an Airforce we could just have an all inclusive "Military." Or that we shouldnt have state governments, just one massive federal government. -_-

hillsword.jpg

MCU SWORD uniform. :)

Not great, I'm really just getting into the manip scene... I also played around with making her blonde... But it wasn't looking right. Anyway, enjoy. :p

Nice job on the manip. And yeah SWORD will definitely be making an appearance. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Found these on line, old vintage pre-Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers with Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell (back when he looked like a space gladiator of sorts) -

And Carol's early days as Ms. Marvel -

From what I understand beyond these 3 scans the guys at Marvel could never really make up their minds over whether or not they really wanted Carol to be a real love interest for Mar-Vell or not (especially since he already had a girlfriend among the Kree) so after flip-flopping on the subject they decided to have the two just be friends (as seen in the 3rd scan). How this factors into a film adaptation remains to be seen, as film adaptations will always play fast and loose with the characters love lives.

I just thought I'd throw that out there since I seem to remember someone here saying Carol & old Mar-Vell were never really interested in each other.

Okay...? Why does that matter. Thats like saying the CIA and FBI should be one big organization since the CIA could probably do the FBI's job better. Instead of having a Navy and an Airforce we could just have an all inclusive "Military." Or that we shouldnt have state governments, just one massive federal government. -_-

Elegance is a virtue in storytelling. Introducing a new element, that does the same thing as an old element, means you've made the story more complicated for no good reason. This will either hurt the story for being over-crowded with different elements, or it will limit the story by displacing other new elements that could be doing other, distinct things. Whether its realistic or not is a completely separate matter.

Elegance is a virtue in storytelling. Introducing a new element, that does the same thing as an old element, means you've made the story more complicated for no good reason. This will either hurt the story for being over-crowded with different elements, or it will limit the story by displacing other new elements that could be doing other, distinct things. Whether its realistic or not is a completely separate matter.

This is untrue. For one SWORD is better at handling these situations than SHIELD is and that's what they will play up if they introduce them into the MCU. Done correctly if introduced as a subsect of SHIELD the audience will be able to understand exactly what's going on. The creation of the MCU has allowed the GA to accept a lot more when it comes to comic book movies than before.

Nice job on the manip. And yeah SWORD will definitely be making an appearance. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Hey much appreciated friend. Been lurking trying to find random things to manip of late. Trying to hone my (so far very lacking) skills.

Found these on line, old vintage pre-Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers with Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell (back when he looked like a space gladiator of sorts) -

And Carol's early days as Ms. Marvel -

From what I understand beyond these 3 scans the guys at Marvel could never really make up their minds over whether or not they really wanted Carol to be a real love interest for Mar-Vell or not (especially since he already had a girlfriend among the Kree) so after flip-flopping on the subject they decided to have the two just be friends (as seen in the 3rd scan). How this factors into a film adaptation remains to be seen, as film adaptations will always play fast and loose with the characters love lives.

I just thought I'd throw that out there since I seem to remember someone here saying Carol & old Mar-Vell were never really interested in each other.

Oh yeah. Thanks for the scans. I mean, if they go that route I won't be upset. But I'm sayin, it might be interesting to hook her up with another MCU hero. Dr. Strange sticks out of the bunch to me. For some reason, I think they'd make a rockin couple.

Oh yeah. Thanks for the scans. I mean, if they go that route I won't be upset. But I'm sayin, it might be interesting to hook her up with another MCU hero. Dr. Strange sticks out of the bunch to me. For some reason, I think they'd make a rockin couple.

I think they'd make an odd couple. Strange is a strange man. Too out there for Ms Marvel. She'd either be with someone like Mar-Vell or Wonder Man (they did sometimes flirt with each other back in the day although there was never anything solid there).

This is untrue. For one SWORD is better at handling these situations than SHIELD is and that's what they will play up if they introduce them into the MCU. Done correctly if introduced as a subsect of SHIELD the audience will be able to understand exactly what's going on. The creation of the MCU has allowed the GA to accept a lot more when it comes to comic book movies than before.

*Why* is SWORD axiomatically better at handling it than SHIELD? Or rather, why would they be, in the movies? Sure, in the comics, SHIELD doesn't really deal with aliens, hence an organization that does focus on them would do better. . .

. . .but that is already not the case in the movies, where SHIELD explicitly *does* deal with aliens. So, again, what does creating an entire new organization, that does the exact stuff an old organization does, actually add to the movies?

I think it would be best if we had a Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel film where we see Carol start off as Ms. Marvel, then end the film as Captain, after Mar-Vell is killed off or something by the big bad of the movie. That way, you have the villain have more of a personal threat--killed mentor--and establish Carol's growth as a character.

No love-interest, just a mentor/student relationship.

*Why* is SWORD axiomatically better at handling it than SHIELD? Or rather, why would they be, in the movies? Sure, in the comics, SHIELD doesn't really deal with aliens, hence an organization that does focus on them would do better. . .
. . .but that is already not the case in the movies, where SHIELD *does* deal with aliens. So, again, what does creating an entire new organization, that does the exact stuff an old organization does, actually add to the movies?

Because having an organization whose sole purpose is to deal with extraterrestrial threats before they arrive on Earth makes it a lot easier on SHIELD because now they can continue focusing their resources on covert Earth based problems. After the battle of New York SHIELD knows that aliens are a big problem now so having a org desinated to dealing with them.
Yeah SHIELD dealt with them first but now that they know we're not alone they need someone to solely handle it.

Does SWORD fall under the x-men rights because it debuted in an x-men comic?

I think they'd make an odd couple. Strange is a strange man. Too out there for Ms Marvel. She'd either be with someone like Mar-Vell or Wonder Man (they did sometimes flirt with each other back in the day although there was never anything solid there).

Actually Carol and Simon ****ed. ahem... excuse me, made love.

But I hate Wonder Man. Hate. lol. He's so generic and boring to me. If we never see him on the big screen I wouldnt lose a wink of sleep. She's way too cool for him.

With Strange on the other hand, I think it'd be an awesome relationship dynamic. Where Ms. Marvel is physically loads more powerful than Strange, and probably just as intelligent. But Strange is extremely spiritual and in tuned to forces no one else on earth can comprehend. Hell, I'd be attracted to either one of them, so I could totally believe their attraction to each other.

Last edited:
Have we really come to shipping characters from non-existent films? Is that where we are in Earth's history?

If it's Carol's movie, she should have a love interest in her film, she shouldn't ever be relegated to being a love interest in someone else's film. That's why I wouldn't like them together on film, because you hamstring their romantic storylines in their own films. In the comics, go for it, could be very interesting, and possibly awesome.

The standard superhero trope is for the male to be all-powerful, with a (comparatively) helpless lady friend dependent on him to be her savior. Think Thor, Spider-Man, etc.

I would actually like to see Danvers in a stable relationship with a 'civilian', which would be a refreshing reversal.

The standard superhero trope is for the male to be all-powerful, with a (comparatively) helpless lady friend dependent on him to be her savior. Think Thor, Spider-Man, etc.

I would actually like to see Danvers in a stable relationship with a 'civilian', which would be a refreshing reversal.

"My Super Ex-Girlfriend?" ;)

Have we really come to shipping characters from non-existent films? Is that where we are in Earth's history?

If it's Carol's movie, she should have a love interest in her film, she shouldn't ever be relegated to being a love interest in someone else's film. That's why I wouldn't like them together on film, because you hamstring their romantic storylines in their own films. In the comics, go for it, could be very interesting, and possibly awesome.

"Shipping?" Never heard that term friend.

Oh sorry should we go back to talking about... any other facet of a nonexistent film? Whiners choice I suppose.

If I always agree with you, and never find fault with you, will you stop calling me a whiner, or is there some other way? For your webducation, Shipping is the practice of supporting to the point of campaigning for an otherwise non-existent fictional couple. It's less 'they'll probably put these people together' and more of 'I have an idea: they should put these two people together!' It can be annoying if taken to excess, and usually finds its power in the assembly of groups of like-minded shippers, so when you see a hug between your two favorites, there's a bunch of people to say "Yeah, I saw it too... they're totally boinking!"

Regardless, I don't mind talking about how bad such a limited crossover of otherwise unrelated properties could be, but I'd rather talk about a relationship that would occur within her film, as opposed to not giving her a romantic arc in her film in order to accommodate another film's romantic arc.

Heck, make it Simon Williams!

I personally would rather play out the whole thing with Mar-Vell and after he dies she's on that 'never love again' stuff. And while doing the role reversal at the beginning of the film is nice, I'd much more enjoy the role reversal at the end, after being earned.

Shipping is a infection no character is safe from! :p

Perfect, easy, way to have Mar-Vell, Carol, and have them both be Captain Marvel and have a love story in the film. Follow a similar storyline as Terminator.
Instead of being a soldier from the future sent to the past to stop a robot Mar-Vell can be a Kree soldier who comes to Earth to stop/outrun a renegade Kree invasion. And instead of Sarah Conner being the future mother he must protect, its Carol and she doesn't need protection because she is a SHIELD/SWORD agent who sees it as her duty to stop the invasion.
I don't think there would need to be a love story at all, but a friendship would be great. A true friendship forged in the heat of battle/while running from the Kree.
He dies while saving the Earth and gives his powers to Carol who becomes Captain Marvel in the last half of the film.

(As an added bonus we can have Yon-Rogg (?) leading the renagade Kree soldiers who are after Mar-Vell for fathering a child with a Skrull princess. That way we could leave the door open for Teddy/Hulkling of the Young Avengers to one day show up.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"