Age of Ultron No Strings Attached: James Spader is Ultron! - Part 1

I also dont like how people are using that fact of the combined attacks from Thor,Vision and Iron Man not able to kill Ultron as an excuse to defend Ultron not being weak in combat,sorry but no,it's not a case there

First,we dont know much how powerful the mind gem actually is compared to other stones like power stone which supposed can be used to destroy a planet when it hit the ground
When Ronan used it on all of Guardians during the battle in Dark Aster,it barely hurt any of them and it was a power stone,which should be more powerful than the mind stone even if Ronan didn't use it on its full potential
In similar cases,Loki used the same mind stone to attack Cap in Avengers,but he took the hit by the deflection from Cap's sheld and got up like nothing happened
Malekith hit Thor several times with reality stone and Thor still barely got any damage in his face

All the infinite stones don't have any impressive feats in terms of power input in the movie
The most impressive thing they did is when Ronan used it to destroy thousands of Nova ships in 1 hit

Most importantly,they could destroy Ultron completely if they didn't stop shooting beams at him for no reasons
Even HISHE made a point to show that the plot was stupid,Joss Whedon just wanted an excuse for Ultron to kill at least one Avenger before his death
And at that point,Ultron clearly lost the combat power when he needed to use a quinjet to pull out the last fight

I wouldn't say its all down to Whedon, I think Marvel put some limitations on with how dark and disturbing he could make Ultron. Which seems to be the case with the MCU villains in general. Ultron had the potential and all of the ingredients to be a great villain. But they dropped the ball on a main aspect.

Personality wise Ronan was inferior to Ultron, but he was shown to be a much bigger threat than Ultron was.

I know you were kidding in your last sentence but the Avengers being OP in this movie is what made Ultron look weak for me. Cap should not have been able to go toe to toe with Ultron and neither should Iron Man for that matter. And yeah, it simply killed all tension in the movie.

Remember the scene in the finale of the first movie where it showed the Avengers actually getting overwhelmed toward the end? Hulk was momentarily put down, Iron Man was getting his ass kicked, Cap was shot and had to be helped up by Thor. Hawkeye had to jump off a roof to save himself.

There was nothing like that in AOU, the Avengers were just far too comfortable throughout for me.
Even towards the end when the meteor started dropping to the ground
It took only several seconds to solve the master plan from Ultron,by 2 Avengers not even including their 3 of more powerful ones

I get that Ultron's power was nerfed compared to his comic counterpart so that they could stand a chance to beat him
But I was surprised to see the end game Ultron was talking about throughout the film was so easily stopped
It just seems like the Avengers wasn't in danger in any of seconds of the movie

Even towards the end when the meteor started dropping to the ground
It took only several seconds to solve the master plan from Ultron,by 2 Avengers not even including their 3 of more powerful ones

I get that Ultron's power was nerfed compared to his comic counterpart so that they could stand a chance to beat him
But I was surprised to see the end game Ultron was talking about throughout the film was so easily stopped
It just seems like the Avengers wasn't in danger in any of seconds of the movie

Agreed, it was all far too easy for the heroes. As I pointed out, there was no scene like in A1 showing the Avengers beginning to lose and becoming overwhelmed on their last legs. They were far too comfortable throughout because Ultron wasn't the threat he should have been.

I also dont like how people are using that fact of the combined attacks from Thor,Vision and Iron Man not able to kill Ultron as an excuse to defend Ultron not being weak in combat,sorry but no,it's not a case there
Thor, Vision, and Ironman merely damaged Ultron. Then Hulk pounded him a couple of times. Then Scarlet Witch tore the heart out of the Ultimate body. Then it was discovered by Vision that he was still alive.

I don't know why you are so blind- if taking three blasts to the face and still not turning into a molten pile of rubble is not a great defensive feat, I don't know what else is.

First,we dont know much how powerful the mind gem actually is compared to other stones like power stone which supposed can be used to destroy a planet when it hit the ground
When Ronan used it on all of Guardians during the battle in Dark Aster,it barely hurt any of them and it was a power stone,which should be more powerful than the mind stone even if Ronan didn't use it on its full potential
In similar cases,Loki used the same mind stone to attack Cap in Avengers,but he took the hit by the deflection from Cap's sheld and got up like nothing happened
Malekith hit Thor several times with reality stone and Thor still barely got any damage in his face
All of this can be explained by a lack of consistency/director/writer/directing-style. Whedon alone, while both of his respective films in the MCU have been terrific IMO, does not do the best job in regards to the strengths and weaknesses of characters. Captain America threw around Ultron, a robot probably twice his own weight, with greater ease than pretty much every other villain that he has faced.

In this regard, it is not a case of Ultron being weak but rather poor consistency: he threw a f***ing motorcycle during the HYDRA battle in AoU but was barely capable of fazing Loki in their Germany confrontation.

And that doesn't even take other films/directors and writers into account. Whedon seems more open to humor and quick little punchouts while the Russos for example seem to take a stronger liking to more serious fighting. That is the main problem with a shared universe and different primary cast members.

Thor, Vision, and Ironman merely damaged Ultron. Then Hulk pounded him a couple of times. Then Scarlet Witch tore the heart out of the Ultimate body. Then it was discovered by Vision that he was still alive.

I don't know why you are so blind- if taking three blasts to the face and still not turning into a molten pile of rubble is not a great defensive feat, I don't know what else is.

All of this can be explained by a lack of consistency/director/writer/directing-style. Whedon alone, while both of his respective films in the MCU have been terrific IMO, does not do the best job in regards to the strengths and weaknesses of characters. Captain America threw around Ultron, a robot probably twice his own weight, with greater ease than pretty much every other villain that he has faced.

In this regard, it is not a case of Ultron being weak but rather poor consistency: he threw a f***ing motorcycle during the HYDRA battle in AoU but was barely capable of fazing Loki in their Germany confrontation.

And that doesn't even take other films/directors and writers into account. Whedon seems more open to humor and quick little punchouts while the Russos for example seem to take a stronger liking to more serious fighting. That is the main problem with a shared universe and different primary cast members.

The beams made Ultron vulnerable and melted his durable armor. Then Hulk punched him away. Prior to the beam, Ultron took a Mjilnir strike from Vision with no visible damage.

Ultron also handled Thor, physically. Thor jobbed to him and I think his implied power level was evident.

However, the complaint at hand, which is 100% true, is that despite the implied power and stength, he didn't do anything impressive in combat to suggest he's above Thor, even though he may ACTUALLY be.

Anyone wonder what Ultron's plans for the Earth were should he have succeeded in wiping out every non-robotic entity/being? The only consciousness left would have been his own (he controls the sentries as well), so does that mean he would have just committed suicide or would he have roamed the surface of the Earth all by himself?

Very depressing scenario either way

I thought Ultron was really threatening. Favorite MCU villain

Anyone wonder what Ultron's plans for the Earth were should he have succeeded in wiping out every non-robotic entity/being? The only consciousness left would have been his own (he controls the sentries as well), so does that mean he would have just committed suicide or would he have roamed the surface of the Earth all by himself?

Very depressing scenario either way

Not everyone was going to be wiped out by his meteor. It'd cause a an extinction level event no doubt but it was survival of the fittest. He wanted humans to evolve. Vision was suppose to be the being that his new world would look up to. At that point he'd be looked up to as a God. "People would look up to the sky and see Hope, see Mercy".

5 years later and I am still quite disappointed on how Ultron turned out to be.

Being marketed as this evil, Terminator-like machine and potentially an unstoppable threat that would bring the Avengers to their knees.

No, he was a quippy machine that never won a single fight in the film and got beat by everyone without really doing much. He sounded and looked really cool, though and Spader was absolutely amazing voicing him.

After IW/EG and what Thanos did, Ultron in retrospect looks like a total joke and didn't really impact the Avengers (except Sokovia accident for the Accords). He now looks like a filler villain just so that the Avengers could get to the "main course" at the end of Phase 3.

I am, however, glad that Thanos delivered as the greatest MCU villain - he was everything i hoped Ultron would be - especially since AoU's teaser trailer. That trailer made AoU my most anticipated film ever (at the time) simply because of my hype for Ultron.

Ah, good times!

Last edited:
Whedon inserted too much of himself into Ultron. I don't blame Spader, he delivered it how it was written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"