Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 110% sure superman will throw punches.I wonder when they'll show that first.If WB was smart, The next trailer would be a good time.

Seeing how set pics is already floating around on the net, of Superman standing in a strong position with his arm and fist pushed forward, yeah, I'd say it's 110% for sure that he'll be punching in this movie.

He's giving a fist bump in that pic.

*Sup, Jenny, nice boobs.* fist bump

Or something like these:

"That's Lois Lane?? She looks more like Lana Lang. Well, at least this Lois doesn't look emaciated."

"What happened to Perry?"

"What happened to Lois' significant other from the last film?"

"Where is Lex Luthor? Wasn't he rescued from the island?"

(By the way, how have you been, Jim?)
Lana2k5 from The Planet, Lana Lang on Eyes Skyward

I've been great, thanks for asking! I have a 1 year old daughter now who has been taking up a lot of my time. How have you been?!

Another day and more trailer certs...but no MOS :(

New certs though were for The Great Gatsby, Iron Man 3 and The Lone Ranger so we'll be getting those new trailers within the next week or two.

Iron Man 3 gets another trailer and it had a Superbowl spot. Man of steel, nothing.

WB are you even trying.

Iron Man 3 gets another trailer and it had a Superbowl spot. Man of steel, nothing.

WB are you even trying.
With 2 big solo movies and then the massive Avengers, Iron Man is the current top dog. I think WB is wise to give IM3 a wide berth. Let it have its time in the spotlight. Then, after release, really ramp up the MOS marketing.

Yes, give Iron Man all the Big Berths it needs.

Big and wide Berths.

:oldrazz:

With 2 big solo movies and then the massive Avengers, Iron Man is the current top dog. I think WB is wise to give IM3 a wide berth. Let it have its time in the spotlight. Then, after release, really ramp up the MOS marketing.

So MOS should run from IM like a scared dog and not promote itself? I guess every film coming out from April-June should just not promote itself because of Iron Man. Great idea! Let's ramp up the MOS marketing in the last 3 weeks after IM hype has died down. That'll do it! :whatever: Oh, and just for the reasons you mentioned IM3 needs less marketing than MOS.

WB are you even trying.
They are surely following TDK/TDKR route here. And people are still on the no-SB spot? Ugh... :doh:

And people are still on the no-SB spot? Ugh... :doh:

And why wouldn't they be? A stupid move remains a stupid move. Yahoo even made an article at the time how MOS didn't have one because they know it can't show anything more impressive than IM3 and ST so WB avoided what it can't compete with. How smart, instead of blowing all other spots away in front of 100 million viewers. Yes, ugh :doh: indeed. :cwink:

And why wouldn't they be? A stupid move remains a stupid move. Yahoo even made an article at the time how MOS didn't have one because they know it can't show anything more impressive than IM3 and ST so WB avoided what it can't compete with. How smart, instead of blowing all other spots away in front of 100 million viewers. Yes, ugh :doh: indeed. :cwink:
And that's a fact? Okay. :whatever:

A massive exposure at the cost of $4M (or 12 like IM3)? Eh, I'd rather keep that money. If WB did have a spot to show, would you all have been happy if it was just a rehash of the trailer, with 2-3 new shots, like that Star Trek spot?

WB hasn't paid for a Superbowl spot in a few years now. They're just so expensive. Yahoo's article was unfair saying that they didn't have anything to compete, because it's just not true. It's a cost thing.
That being said, WB really should have had something. A ton of people were expecting to see it. The disappointment on Twitter about the lack of a MOS ad was evident even in people who are aren't even huge fans. The last trailer sparked a lot of interest, and the Superbowl would've been a great place to keep that going, but instead it's dying off.
I said before in another post, WB can't afford a misstep in the marketing of Man Of Steel. They proved with Superman Returns that you can't just but the :super: everywhere a month before the movie and expect people to show up. You have to build up the excitement. Superman Returns did Batman Begins numbers because it had sub-Batman Begins marketing. At this rate, I'm expecting Man Of Steel to do about as well as that. If they want to do better, they need to start building up the excitement among the general public sooner than April.

A massive exposure at the cost of $4M (or 12 like IM3)? Eh, I'd rather keep that money.

I'd keep it too. But this the studio that put 200 million into Green Lantern.

If WB did have a spot to show, would you all have been happy if it was just a rehash of the trailer, with 2-3 new shots, like that Star Trek spot?

No. Because it wouldn't have been effective enough for such a large crowd. Besides, IM3 and ST showed a lot more impressive money shots than MOS so I can see why someone would assume MOS cannot compete with that. And who knows, maybe it can't. Smoke and mirrors. We'll see. What's done is done anyway.

Last edited:
So MOS should run from IM like a scared dog and not promote itself? I guess every film coming out from April-June should just not promote itself because of Iron Man. Great idea! Let's ramp up the MOS marketing in the last 3 weeks after IM hype has died down. That'll do it! :whatever:

It’s a matter of maximizing the promotion and not letting it get lost or diluted by another movie’s (deserved) buzz and momentum (a movie which has a 7-week jump on MOS). Also, in terms of genres, IM3 is MOS’s closest competition; so it makes sense to strategize against and around that particular film.

Oh, and just for the reasons you mentioned IM3 needs less marketing than MOS.
I’m sure WB would greatly appreciate it if IM3 had less marketing. :cwink: But that’s not happening. So the issue is whether to go toe-to-toe with a more established franchise or employ a bit of “marketing judo” - let the opponent expend its energy before moving in. Audiences have very short attention spans. After IM3, they’ll be looking for the next movie event.

How smart, instead of blowing all other spots away in front of 100 million viewers. Yes, ugh :doh: indeed. :cwink:

The flipside of that is, a moody/arty promo (similar to the trailer) might have underwhelmed 100 million viewers. That's worse than no ad at all.

Eh marketing is going to be fine, even if I agree the Super Bowl was a missed opportunity the awareness for MOS still seems high and I'm sure it'll be bigger come March/April when another trailer or TV spot appears.

I think fact that the second trailer has scored nearly 28 million views on WB Youtube page in just 2 months making it the most viewed video on their list surpassing the likes of TDKR and WB's other movies accounts for something.

Still....where's mah third trailer WB?! :oldrazz:

The online crowd is entirely different from the superbowl crowd. MoS could cannibalise IM3 mind share if they decided to establish a good online presence against the film. The response to the initial trailer was considerably bigger than that of IM3.

Its not my money so I dont care, but I really thought that WB would have hit it harder than they have so far, and sooner. heck, lots dont even know a new superman film is on the way.

A little example. I have some friends at work who dont follow film production and when I mentioned a new superman film was coming out, they were like ''really?" ''didn't care for the last one.''
I then had to go through the whole process of telling them that it was a reboot with a new cast. I even showed them the trailer on yahoo. they liked it.

Point is, how many more out there dont know a reboot is even being made, or how many think its a sequel to the last one. how many will miss the marketing if WB waits until the last minute. They are playing it too safe for comfort.
I'm not saying it should be 24/7 marketing but a tv spot or two should have been out by now.

I think Superman is well known enough that a 3 months before release marketing blitz will be more than enough to get people in the seats.

hope so...I really want it to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"