Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound strategy, but I'm not sure how that approach can be adapted to make this movie experience more pleasurable.

Closing you eyes when Beorn appears, perhaps? Or leaving the building during Orlando Bloom's romantic scenes?

Bring action figures of your favorite characters to act out interstitional scenes you'd like to see when the ones you don't like are on screen.

Bring action figures of your favorite characters to act out interstitional scenes you'd like to see when the ones you don't like are on screen.
I don't want to add to the runtime. :o

I may just add to everyone's enjoyment by improvising superior scenes with friends, in front of the screen.

I See Fire - Ed Sheeran

We have a tradition in our Tolkien films of having a song over the closing credits. It's very important that the song feels right for the world of the movie - and also carries the emotional resonance of the end of that particular film.

The Desolation of Smaug is no different. The ending of this film requires a voice and sensibility that will allow an viewer to process what they have just experienced.

It's always tricky to think of the right person to create and performance these songs. Someone who shares our passion for Tolkien, and somebody who is prepared to respect the film.

This year we are thrilled to have Ed Sheeran write and perform our closing song, "I See Fire".

My daughter Katie, deserves total credit for bringing Ed to our movie. He was touring New Zealand earlier this year, and Katie introduced me to his music. Beautiful haunting songs, full of passion and coming from a very genuine place in his heart.

We heard that Ed was a fan of our movies, so while he was playing in Wellington, we invited him around for a tour.

He then headed off to join Taylor Swift on a concert tour. But we had exchanged e-mail addresses.

A few weeks ago, we were puzzling about who to approach about the song that had to be written and recorded very quickly. We now had a strong feeling about the tone of the song, but we needed to find the right voice.

Katie reminded us about how great Ed's voice was, and how right it would be. Fran and I got it the second she mentioned it.

And I had his e-mail address.

I wrote to him on a Sunday morning, and asked if he was interested. He would need to fly down to NZ to see the movie, because it was critical he write from the perspective of the audience.

Within 48hrs he was in Wellington, having immediately jumped on a plane from London with his manager Stuart Camp, who was instantly supportive and helpful.

Ed watched the movie at Park Road Post, immediately went into a room, and started writing and singing. Much of what you will hear on this song was recorded that same day, with a few overdubs and tweaks the following day.

Despite having never played the violin in his life, Ed thought he might try overdubbing one himself, and Katie raced out to borrow a rather battered one from a school friend.

Pete Cobbin from Abbey Road was at Park Road mixing Howard's musical score, and was able to mix the song with Ed.

It was a great experience, and what you will see in this video are moments captured by our behind the scenes team during the creation of the song.

But the images are only supporting Ed's wonderful song. This is his direct emotional response to seeing The Desolation of Smaug, written and performed on the same day he saw the movie.

I am very proud to present "I See Fire”.

[Available for pre-order on iTunes at: http://smarturl.it/smaugi

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=200046586849043&set=vb.141884481557&type=2&theater

Last edited:
getting Sheeran was a bit of a coup. guy has been trending up for a while now and has that hit with T Swift plus he's on The Voice as one of the "assistant coaches" or whatever you want to call them.

probably the most currently popular artist they've had do one of these credits songs yet. between "I See Fire" and all the Nolanites going to see it for the Interstellar teaser, The Hobbit's going to have some pretty cool promotion on the side.

getting Sheeran was a bit of a coup. guy has been trending up for a while now and has that hit with T Swift plus he's on The Voice as one of the "assistant coaches" or whatever you want to call them.

probably the most currently popular artist they've had do one of these credits songs yet. between "I See Fire" and all the Nolanites going to see it for the Interstellar teaser, The Hobbit's going to have some pretty cool promotion on the side.

Well, they've certainly upped the "female appeal" from 0 to 100 for this second film (Orlando Bloom, kicking-ass female elf, Ed Sheeran end song).

But what's this about an Interstellar teaser? Is that confirmed?

I just watched the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey. The scenes didn't really add much to the movie except for Bilbo's new Rivendell scenes. The part where he finds the shards of Narsil and the Sauron mural should have been included in the theatrical cut. The naked dwarves in the fountain scene was unnecessary, and the Goblin King's song seemed out of place. I didn't hate it, but it sounded like it was rejected from the "Nightmare Before Christmas" soundtrack. I am looking forward to digging into those special features, though.

must admit i was a bit skeptical about sheeran doing the theme but its really good

The Blu-ray picture quality of the Extended Edition is not as good as the theatrical release, there's more noticeable decompression in the image than the previous release. With the short New Zealand documentary and the animated menu of Bag End taking up disc space, the film file is easily under the 50 GB of disc space.

Last edited:
On the Blu-ray the picture quality of the Extended Edition is not as good as the theatrical release, there's more noticeable decompression than the previous release. With the short New Zealand documentary and the animated menu of Bag End, the film file is easily under the 50 GB of disc space.

It will probably be released a few more times down the road same as the Lord Of The Rings movies were, so eventually it will get a better transfer.

Beorn_2.jpg

Beorn_1.jpg

:dry:

Maybe the mix in the actual film will be better, but that Sheeran song was decidely meh inducing.

Meh is the last word I'd use for that song. I'm surprised at the mixed reaction this song is getting. I honestly thought it would get more love but I guess that's how things roll.

Personally I'm in love with the song and have been listening to it non stop. The lyrics couldn't be more appropriate and I feel there's a certain melancholy to it despite the somewhat upbeat melody. I feel people are missing that and the rather romantically bleak nature of it. That's exactly what the LOTR end credit songs had and this one while touring down a different genre evokes that same type of feeling, at least for me.

I love the opening off the song, but as it goes on, it feels far to modern to me. Loses its edge.

I actually like the song. I agree with Darth that it sounds modern, but let's be honest, the same can be said for every other song in the other Tolkien films... perhaps the only exception is May It Be. It's a good song.

I like the song, I'm just not sure if it feels like it fits the movie, but it may take seeing the movie and then hearing the song during the credits to 'get it'... so I'm reserving final judgement on it until I see everything in context (if that makes sense)

yeah, some people seem to think the song is too anachronistic with the movies but, i dunno, i don't see how it is any more than any of the other LotR/Hobbit end credits songs. i mean, it is more pared down than most of them and, yes, it is Ed Sheeran, but get past the name of the artist and the song itself seems very fitting. great lyrics and while maybe not the most memorable end credits song ever in terms of melody or composition, i do think tonally it will work quite well and it has better dynamics than any of the other end credits songs in LotR or AUJ. the only reason i can think of that some people find it too "pop" or something is because of some of the vocal runs he does in the climax. other than that, it's a warm but melancholy folk song with lyrics that speak to the movie's themes and imagery. seems appropriate to me.

I know pretty much nothing of the artist, I just find the song to be rather anemic currently.

The Hobbit is a different animal than the LOTR obviously, Neil Finn's song in AUJ is proof of that, Sheeran's song is quite great, and I think Pete Jackson knows better than any of us what will fit the movie.

Listen to Sheeran's album, he's insanely talented.

I actually like the songs for The Hobbit moreso than the ones that were recorded for LOTR. For me, it's probably the only aspect that trumps the LOTR trilogy. May it Be and Gollum's Song were good, but the only one that really impressed me a lot was Into the West. But I really dig both The Lonely Mountain Song from AUJ and now I See Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"