The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Paul Giamatti IS Rhino - Part 2

If he returns, Giamatti needs to calm down with the yelling a bit.

He tends to do that a lot in movies.

If he returns, Giamatti needs to calm down with the yelling a bit.

He tends to do that a lot in movies.

Agreed he was barely understandable with every line he said, I enjoyed some of what he said. In a perfect world his Rhino voice would be a mix of the Russian accent he had here and Clancy Brown Alex O'Hirn voice he give in Spectacular Spider-Man.

People seem to be hating on the outspoken, arrogant "character" that Giamatti created, and sort of missing the point.

The Rhino was dangerous.

And he was about to kill a kid.

So? He still sucked. Mr. Freeze would have killed that dog if Batman didn't unfreeze Gotham.

Ohhh such a serious villain now.

Yes the Rhino was very sloppily tied into the Oscorp story line. They should have kept it as it was and Harry could have recruited him in the next film.

I wish they had made the Rhino suit obviously from Alexei and not shown as part of the Oscorp lineup of experiments. It makes no sense with the Russian markings and mish-mash quality.

I think it would have been better to save the final scene (with Rhino) for the sequel. So they should have kept the truck chase at the beginning as to introduce him and show why he has distain for Spider-Man. And maybe give us a after credits scene (instead of the x-Men one :confused:) where he is approached about becoming the Rhino.

As much as i enjoyed the truck chases visuals, it had nothing to do with the rest of the film. I thought those vials that were in the truck would at least tie into the plot somehow, but it didn't.

While I agree with all of this, those vials were of plutonium (I believe Webb or whoever said that's what it was but don't quote me on it), but at the same time... Alexi/Rhino is pretty much a C-list character if that. So, to have him be the intro villain and end villain was fine by me. They could've had Peter hanging up the Spider-Man suit after Gwen's death, but I think Marc wanted a "Empire Strikes Back"-moment where even if the bad guys essentially won, there is still hope on the horizon, and so to have that kid be dressed as Spider-Man to pull Peter Parker back into the fight just worked for me.

I will agree though that for "Amazing Spider-Man 3" if Rhino comes back, they need to make Giamatti's line delivery more legible. Yelling, snarling, and talking in Russian can only go so far with audiences before coming off as some mustache-stroking Commie bad guy from 80's action movies.

Rhino and Green Goblin worked for me, but Max Dillon and Dr. Kafka were caricatures. Max Dillon was the stereotypical social outcast turned homicidal maniac and Kafka was every German mad scientist seen in a dozen or so old black-and-white horror movies. They might as well had him yell, "It's alive!" Both were poorly developed and while the visuals with Electro will certainly earn the film an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects, a movie can't live on visuals alone.

Again, as I've said in other threads, maybe a second viewing will change my views on Max, but he was too much of a Baxter Stockman to me.

So? He still sucked. Mr. Freeze would have killed that dog if Batman didn't unfreeze Gotham.

Ohhh such a serious villain now.

Heh yeah and Poison Ivy killed three people with her poison kiss but she was still campy camp.

Rhino was a lame-o joke.

Agree totally. I think they wanted everyone to know Rhino was in the movie to increase interest, which is why he was in the poster and trailer. Personally I also wish Rhino was kept somewhat secret but I can understand them wanting the audience to get teased... but showing practically all his scenes in the trailers and commercials was just way too much.
Sony's marketing team completely sucks. I think Webb really wanted to keep certain things in this film a secret, including Rhino, but marketing gave him a big FU.

I sincerely felt embarrassed for Giamatti while watching that "performance." Not to mention, the gigantic rhinoceros mech monstrosity certainly wasn't helping matters.

Last edited:
Sony's marketing team completely sucks. I think Webb really wanted to keep certain things in this film a secret, including Rhino, but marketing gave him a big FU.

Not to mention some of the best jokes in the movie, were given away in the trailers...

Didn't mind him, but hopefully he tones it down a couple of notches. No reason to be that over the top that I can't understand you.

One dimensional villain or not, I always liked the Rhino in the comics and cartoon (my first ever Spidey toy was a promotional Rhino figure from a cereal). However, Giamatti was disappointing in this role. I would have preferred a more aggressive type of guy like Ray Stevens who would have been much more intimidating IMO. I can't comment on the Rhino's script as I barely understood it. :/

Trailers should've only shown his Aleski scenes.

I would've been pleasantly surprised if I had no idea RHINO was in it.

People seem to be hating on the outspoken, arrogant "character" that Giamatti created, and sort of missing the point.

The Rhino was dangerous.

And he was about to kill a kid.

I don't believe he was about to kill the kid. He had plenty of time to do it while the little boy was chatting with Spidey. Instead, he waited for him to be removed from harm's way.

Yes the Rhino was very sloppily tied into the Oscorp story line. They should have kept it as it was and Harry could have recruited him in the next film.

I definitely disagree with that. I like the quick tie to Oscorp. Both movies have had an issue with stuff being left out of the final cut. Why waste time showing Harry or the Man in the Hat explaining everything to a Russian to bring him in? Make if quick and easy, like they did. The only benefit, in my opinion, that would come from the recruitment scene would be the language barrier humor.

I don't believe he was about to kill the kid. He had plenty of time to do it while the little boy was chatting with Spidey. Instead, he waited for him to be removed from harm's way.

Same. I don't think he had any intention of killing the kid. Aleksei fits more the thug for hire to rob banks, pull off heists and yes, try to kill Spidey but he doesn't come across as the type that would murder a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"