Rate and Review X-Men Origins: Wolverine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go further.

The point that people critics...

1 - Amnesia : In the comics book, Styker is not responsible for the experiment. It's the Canadian Gouvernment. So they can't do the amnesia during the operation, it's not compatible with Singer's movies.

2 - Deadpool : Same as amnesia. Stryker is not responsable for Weapon X project. So same mistake. Again, it's a Singer's movies mistake.

Would you check the wounds of your loved one after she was dead?

But you'd think with Wolverine's heightened smell he could smell it wasn't her blood. Also after he confronted Creed, did he even return to the body to give her a funeral....

My Review-copied my from site.

When it was first announced that a Wolverine film was in the works, I rolled my eyes and thought, ''Yippee, another film about Wolverine''. It's rather strange for me to not get excited about a superhero film, I mean, I read the comics, I'm a geek. I guess I just grew tired of Wolverine after seeing him headline all of the X-Men films and having all the attention poured on to him. When the trailer hit the web, I was stunned at how good it looked and my interest in the film peaked.

Major concerns came when I found out that my favorite comic book character, Deadpool would be treated with such bastardization. On top of this alerting news, a copy of Wolverine was stolen and put online for the world to see. Mixed reactions started spilling all over the net, but I took what people were saying with a grain of salt as the workprint was unfinished. Things got worse as we found out just a few days ago, that the film would have multiple endings. More bad then good was leaning on this film, but still, I was still kinda excited to see Wolverine as it was kicking off the summer blockbuster season.

Plot

Wolverine Origins takes place prior to the X-Men trilogy. It focuses on James Howlett(Hugh Jackman) and his relationship with his brother, Victor Creed(Liev ''Cotton'' Schreiber) through the bond of fighting in many wars, until the relationship ends due to Howlett turning his back on Creed and the Weapon X team, run by William Stryker(Danny Huston) to lead a normal life. Unfortunately for Wolverine, Creed and Stryker won't allow that.

The Good

Wolverine kicked off strong with the opening credits. It was pretty cool seeing Logan and Victor Creed going through many famous wars together. The relationship between these two brothers was very interesting because Wolverine tries to suppress the beast within, while Victor embraces it. Their conflicting ideas of who they are results in many fierce fights between the two. Both actors played well off each other and I found I favored Schreiber's cold hearted take on Sabertooth over Jackman's, Wolverine.

As this is prior to the X-Men films, different actors would be taking over the some roles. Danny Huston took over the part of William Stryker, which was played by Brian Cox in X2. I preferred Cox's take on the Stryker character, but Huston added this creepy politeness to the character which I liked. Tim Pocock took up the mantle of Scott Summers A.K.A Cyclops from James Marsden. Cyclops did more in this film then he did in X-Men 2 & 3, which is always a good thing.

As for other major players from the X-Universe, such as Gambit, they get some decent screen time for a film titled Wolverine. I think most fans will be happy from what they see of Gambit, Blob, Agent Zero etc...

The bad

Man, prepare for a bumpy ride as this film is filled with plot holes that stick out like a swore thumb. The biggest one comes with a reveal at the end that left my head spinning. I just can't get over the stupidity of the reveal followed by the glaring hole in the story.

I hated how Origins ignored certain parts from X-Men 1 & 2 such as the Weapon X experiment. The experiment plays out in a much different way then it did in X2. In X2, Wolverine is seeing running down a tunnel covered in blood screaming. This does not happen in Origins, instead we get a nude Wolverine, running across a field nude and into a barn in a comical scene. We also get no explanation as to why Victor does not recognize his own brother in the first X-Men film. It's things like this that pissed me off. How hard can it be to add elements in from the first two films?

Let's talk action. The action was lackluster followed by iffy wirework and messy CGI. The Victor and Logan fights were decent along with few other scenes, but nothing WOWED me compared to the other X-films. This was mainly due to the lack of berserker Wolverine.

Let's get down to some serious business...Deadpool/Wade Wilson. Ryan Reynolds did a good job for what he was offered, which wasn't much. Wade was hardly featured in the film, which is a big deal, when he is meant to be the final boss. When Wade became Weapon XI, I become a shivering wreck. There was absolutely no build up to Wade becoming Weapon XI, which if it had a good story behind it, then I wouldn't of cared so much about the Deadpool character becoming this monstrosity.

And here comes a mini rant. Remember the multiple endings post I made the other day? Well a scene popped up during the credits and then I left thinking that, that was the secret ending to the film. Turns out that wasn't it. This ''secret'' ending was after the credits, not the one during it. The traditional thing to do, is to have one scene during or after the credits, not both. Thanks Fox, for being morons.

Overall

Wolverine Origins is worth throwing your hard earned money down if your a fan of the Wolverine character or the previous X-films, other then that, I'd wait for the DVD release. I really didn't think I would say this, but I prefer X-Men 3: The Last Stand to Wolverine Origins.

Overall-I give X-Men Origins: Wolverine-5/10

Again, Wolverine just found out his lover was dead...he was thinking more about killing creed then anything else...and leaving her out there unburied...there is an example for you guys that wanted the more "dark" wolverine...or did you only want that if he was killing people...

You're kidding right ?
Prefer XMen 3 ?! You have crap in you eyes ?!

Sometimes, you seems to forgot that there is three X Men films... Wolverine depend on it and the major of his mistake have for origin's the X Men films. (And I want to say that I like X Men 1 and 2 a much, it's not a critic, just fact)

I'd just like to know how he with his super senses of smell and hearing couldn't tell she was still alive. Makes no sense.

You're kidding right ?

Sometimes, you seems to forgot that there is three X Men films... Wolverine depend on it and the major of his mistake have for origin's the X Men films. (And I want to say that I like X Men 1 and 2 a much, it's not a critic, just fact)

Nope, I don't have crap in my eyes. X3 was weak, but it was more entertaining for me to watch.

yeah, like I said it's weak storytelling. One of those things that we see in all the Marvel movies...and most sci-fi... if you sat down and thought about all those movies you love...you would be catching things that don't make sense right and left.

Dude the guy can like X3 more the Wolverine if he wants...they are completely different types of movies. Except for the action part.

You're kidding right ?

Nope, I don't have crap in my eyes. X3 was weak, but it was more entertaining for me to watch.

He's right. X3 was way stronger in the storytelling sense, even if it was convoluted.

I agree but X3 was really bad in every point... but ok, why not. After all, there are Michael Bay fan, so I guess there is every type of person :p

you got to give x 3 credit they actually had xmen fight as a team unlike x1 and x2 lol

I agree but X3 was really bad in every point... but ok, why not. After all, there are Michael Bay fan, so I guess there is every type of person :p

In all fairness, most Michael Bay films(at least all the ones I've seen) don't seem to have nearly half the plot holes that I hear Wolverine has.

In all fairness, most Michael Bay films(at least all the ones I've seen) don't seem to have nearly half the plot holes that I hear Wolverine has.

And in all fairness, X-Men movies don't have half the robots peeing on people that Michael Bay movies have :p

If Michael Bay directed Wolverine we'd have had Shia Labeouf as a new made up mutant who'd be Wolverine's side-kick and would shout "No! No! No!" during every action scene.

you got to give x 3 credit they actually had xmen fight as a team unlike x1 and x2 lol

They worked as a team at the end of X1.

Against Sabretooth: Wolverine recovered Cyclops' visor. Jean telekinetically positioned it so Cyclop can hit Sabretooth. Cyclops took Sabretooth out.

Against Magneto: Storm made Wolverine fly up, Jean telekinetically steadied him so he could land on the machine, Cyclops took out Magneto so Magneto wouldn't stop Wolverine, and then Wolverine took out the machine.

And in all fairness, X-Men movies don't have half the robots peeing on people that Michael Bay movies have :p

LOL
If Michael Bay directed Wolverine we'd have had Shia Labeouf as a new made up mutant who'd be Wolverine's side-kick and would shout "No! No! No!" during every action scene.

Nice exaggeration.

Shia's in two movies of his....:o

Just got back from watching this, and I loved it. I pretty much agree with everything Kanon said. That review really hit the nail on the head. But just to give a few more opinions of my own:

The Good
I thought, as everyone seems to have thought, Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson was spot on. As 'Deadpool'? We'll get to that in a minute. But as a wise-cracking, sword swinging, henchman killing badass, he was as awesome as I think we all knew he would be.
Liev Schreiber (man, my spell checker does not like him) was menacing and animalistic and evil in all the right measures. He seemed to be having a lot of fun slicing and dicing his way around, which is how it should have been.
To be honest, I can't think of anyone who didn't pull their weight, performance wise. Everyone did what they had to, brought you into the story a little more, and gave you a nice snapshot of each of their characters, which is doubly impressive considering how little screentime many of them got.
The motorcycle, Wolvie-vs-Agent-Zero fight/chase thing was excellent, all the way from the old folks getting shot to the helicopter blowing up. This was good, exciting stuff, with enough 'ohmygodthatrocked', punch the air moments to whet anyone's appetite.
The opening credits, with Creed and 'Jimmy' going through all the different wars together, was an awesome way to set up the bond between the two brothers. Really got some nice, feral, animal shots of the two of them. It reminded me of the Watchmen opening credits sequence, which can only be a good thing.

The Bad
As Kanon already said, the big two no no's were the plot holes and the CG. Lots of plotholes to pore over and discuss (which, to be honest, I kind of enjoy doing after a film like this, so it isn't all bad hehe), ranging from the niggly and tiny (who came up with Logan?), to the slightly large (animal senses, but nothing about a living body with little or no heartbeat makes him question anything).
Other plot holes, like Creed being completely different to how he was in X1, I'm not going to mention, as it seems very clear to me that Fox aren't going to leave it at one film here, and I assume something will happen to Sabertooth in the next one (or the one after that even), that will logically give him blond hair, black eyes, 2 extra feet in height, massively reduced intellect and a penchant for furs.
The CG, again like Kanon said (why am I even writing this?), was often just a bit 'off'. Nothing major, just a little... not like it should have been. Once or twice is nothing to mention, but it did keep happening, and it bothered me a bit.

Other, more petty and personal gripes I had were:
Gambit's accent, or lack thereof. There was a dialect coach on the film, I checked the credits. Why then, could Taylor Kitsch not drop in a little Louisiana drawl? Why could the screenwriters not pop in a few Gambit-isms? I'd have geeked out majorly for a bit of Cajun, 'ma cherie' charm.
Also, re: Gambit, what was with the 'climbing up a wall with the sticks' power, and the 'floating jumpy jump across the alleyway' power, all for them to desert him when he was sitting on top of the fire escape, waiting for Wolvie to cut the ladder down and smack him up? Just supercharge the entire escape and 'floating jumpy jump across the alleyway' away. Easy.
Deadpool Deadpool Deadpool. Where were you? Well, technically nowhere, as no one was credited as such, but the Weapon XI at the end was clearly meant to be him. I was over the moon when I heard he was going to be in this film, as I thought it would be a logical set-up for the geekgasm that would be Deadpool: The Movie. Keep him as Wade Wilson in this one, I thought, then mess him up at the end, leaving the path clear for his own movie a couple of years down the line. But no. They made him a crazy, uber-hybrid, mouthless monster with arm blades, eye beams and telepathy (cos I thought I heard at one point that Stryker's son's powers were part of the melting pot). Now the monster thing I can go with, cos something major would have to happen to him to change him from Wade Wilson to Deadpool, and being 'created' as such would definitely fir the bill. The mouthless thing, again, I like. I was waiting for a shot of Wolverine slashing him in the face, ripping his mouth open in the process. But alas, it did not happen. What I find a little harder to grasp is the extra powers. If they are planning a Deadpool spin off (and I think they'd be fools not to), how're all those extra powers going to come into play? Also, he now doesn't have a head. Just a thought.
Cyclops' initial, school-wrecking eye blast left smoldering wreckage in its wake. Cyclops' eye beams are pure concussive force, and are in no way heat blasts. Like I say, these are the petty gripes.
Xavier showing up was a 'punch the air' moment for me. I just ignored the odd, vaguely paedophilic connotations of a stranger talking to you in your head and then convincing a group of children to get into his helicopter with blacked out windows, and I just punched the air, cos it was awesome. But why didn't he help in any greater way? He should be fighting the good fight, not being content with saving a few and leaving others to die. Also, why did he not show up before this? He has cerebro, he can pinpoint any mutant on the planet, did he not notice a large colony of mutants on Three Mile Island (where the island was, according to the infallible source that is Wikipedia)? I don't know, that just seemed a little odd to me, having him there just for the sake of a cameo.
Also, speaking of cameos, as much as I enjoyed seeing Emma Frost there, there was no need. There was nothing of the character in there, none of her major power (telepathy) and no Stripper outfit. Pointless. If they needed a girl who was indestructible I'm sure they could have found someone else a little less high profile to muck around with.
I didn't like Cyclops being there. Simple as. No great reason for it, I just didn't like it. Felt gratuitous and again, shoehorned in.

Summation
Overall though, I have to say, it was a very enjoyable way to spend 2 hours of my life. Characters were mucked around a little bit, and there were plot holes, but if you can just let it all wash over you and get into it, then you'll come out with a smile on your face. Watching this does give me a huge amount of respect for Bryan Singer though, who produced two top-quality films using the same source materials that two other teams of filmmakers have taken on since, and neither have done it with quite such an aplomb as him. Well done to you, sir. If only he'd stuck around for X3 instead of remaking Superman. Oh well.

Rating: 8/10

I thought it was a great film.
Enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.
I'd go see it on the big screen.

The worst X-men movie for sure !
Good : well i'm still wondering what was good in this movie? well maybe to see Hugh Jackman again, to have a less than 1mn action from Gambit (what a shame to see him not doing anything, and what is he doing in this x-men movie???). Same for young scott summers...
Bad : Fox has ruined the xmen franchise with this film. Emma Frost is all but sexy, Deadpool, Dominic "Lost", all bad...

I won' t see this again.

The worst X-men movie for sure !

well maybe to see Hugh Jackman again, to have a less than 1mn action from Gambit (what a shame to see him not doing anything, and what is he doing in this x-men movie???).
You exaggerate... There was more than 1 min Gambit in it. :whatever: And if you think the movie was bad, well... You must have not seen X3. That was worse. :p

I hate Silverfox's powers were totally wrong.

You exaggerate... There was more than 1 min Gambit in it. :whatever: And if you think the movie was bad, well... You must have not seen X3. That was worse. :p

I disagree. This is much worse than X3. X3 = 5/10; XO:W = 3/10

I originally thought "at least it's better than X3" after watching Origins, but then I went home and watched the other X-Men movies again. All of them, including X3, looked way better in comparison. I always liked 2, and 1 has some decent moments, but I always regarded 3 as inferior. Well, X3 is a much better piece of storytelling even if the story itself is convoluted and inaccurate and I found myself not wanting to put my face in my palm nearly as much. Maybe Ian McKellan is what makes the difference. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I think all the X movies share the same flaw of being made up of some really cool individual scenes (and some terrible ones) that don't come together to make a particularly great movie. They are pretty mediocre all around, except X2 which is a bit above average.

Two things:

Anybody know of one of the alleged mixed Easter Eggs was Deadpool somehow coming back to life?

And 2
I don't get what the big plot hole is regarding Logan thinking Silverfox was dead. Doesn't tactile hypnosis explain that?

The sooner Fox lose the rights and Marvel get them back the better. Then we might see a decent Wolverine film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"