Rebels Rebels Season 2: An Open Discussion - Part 1

I can't believe people thought the ending was ambiguous.

This. And it's about time. That character has overstayed her welcome I think. During her conflict with Vader, when she cut the mask and he says "Ahsoka", I almost shut the tv off. I thought they were going to actually have Ahsoka get to Vader; for me personally that would have been it. Fortunately he continued and threatened her life. Luke is, and had to be the ONLY character to ever get to Vader. Looking forward to next season.
Ahsoka is done. I think they kept her death off screen because simply they didn't want to show her dying. If she's not dead, I hope she fades away. Having her be like a "Yoda" character is just a force

Great end to the season, the writers really know how to end a season on such a high note you can't wait for the next season to start. Same feeling I have right now is basically how I felt when season 1 ended.

Maul was great and seeing him in action did not disappoint, only thing disappointing was how he was defeated. But it makes sense since they want to keep him around, having him lose outright would of made him less a threat and harder to tell how he escaped.

Another season ends and the Inquistor(s) are done. I guess since its apparent there are so many of them this is to be expected now, but it doesn't allow for much character development since they are only around for one season. I'm going to miss the Seventh Sister, but this lets me be hopeful that they will finally bring in Barriss. But if Ahoska is gone then bringing in Barriss would be less impactful given their history together.

I haven't made my mind up let if I think Ahsoka survived or not. The fight between her and Vader was epic and fans of TCW and Rebels know how meaningful that moment was. If Ahsoka is dead then they didn't want to kill her outright or wanted to imply she is a force ghost. If she surrived then that would imply either the explosion damaged herself and Vader and they got separated, or she damaged Vader enough in their fight to the point he needed to retreat, which I highly doubt because that would be pretty damaging to his character. So I'm going to say either Vader killed her and she was given a more symbolism death, or the explosion hurt them both and they got seperated, opening the door for her to come back but likely not for a very long time in the show, that way her return would be more impactful. I haven't decided which theory I believe more though for right now.

Liked the ideas, but felt like the execution was a bit rushed.

They were able to show the deaths of the Inquisitors, but not Ahsoka's hence her walking into the temple?

Ashley Eckstein's company, Her Universe, put out a new shirt that spoiled this week's Star Wars Rebels finale.

Ahsoka is done. I think they kept her death off screen because simply they didn't want to show her dying.

You are the very type of person I was mentioning. She is obviously still alive. :whatever:

This was a great episode:

-Maul was great.
-Vader is his usually awesome self.
-Kanan going all General Kota on us.
-The Vader vs. Ahsoka duel lived up to the hype.
-More teases of Ezra going dark.
-Ahsoka's ambiguous fate (personally, I doubt that she's actually dead).
-Etc.

Also seeing Vader with his mask damaged, and mixing Matt Lanter and JEJ's voices together, was a nice touch. I liked how, when Ahsoka says that she won't leave, there's a hesitation on his part. And there's, confliction, in his eyes for a few moments. But ultimately, the "Vader side" of him won out in the end.

You are the very type of person I was mentioning. She is obviously still alive. :whatever:

Then why is Filoni still pretending it's ambiguous?

It doesn't even matter since, as far as this show is concerned, she's gone.

Do you folks think that there are more Inquisitors to come?

Obviously there were at least eight at some stage but the numbering doesn't mean they are still alive at this point in time. Fifth, Seventh and Eighth could be all there is now.

I hope not though. I want Luke to face off against Inquisitors in a couple of post-ANH stories. Yes, they aren't mentioned in the OT but this doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Yoda never actually told Ezra why he should go to Malacor, did he? Ashoka just assumed that this was a quest for information but maybe Yoda sent them to Malacor because Maul was the solution to their problem? Maybe Yoda knew he was there and knew that the Inquisitors would track the three heroes bringing them into conflict.

It seems to be the only thing that makes sense because he wasn't likely to be sending them after a Sith Holocro that they couldn't even open.

Rumour is that Season Three will be the last and that it is going to jump ahead a couple of years. Any basis for this or just wild speculation.

And Filoni mentioned something big coming in Season Three. Something "for hardcore fans". My guess is that Maul causes significant problems requiring Obi-Wan to finish him off once and for all. Or maybe somehow Maul discovers where Kenobi (and perhaps who he is guarding) and heads to Tatooine.

Or could it be a confrontation between Kenobi and Vader? Is there anything in the canon that says they didn't meet after Mustafar? Is Rebels too close to ANH to have the two meet? I think it is and any such meeting would have been years before.

Then why is Filoni still pretending it's ambiguous?

It doesn't even matter since, as far as this show is concerned, she's gone.

Filoni isn't "pretending" - it is ambiguous because he has left it up to the viewer to decide for themselves whether Ashoka is dead, alive or other.

Filoni himself knows which it is but just felt not actually spelling it out was better.

Myself, I believe this is the end of Ashoka - I don't know if she is dead, but she is never leaving Malacor.

I don't think Obi Wan ever left Tatooine before ANH. I could see Maul maybe discovering who Luke is and heading there to take him as an apprentice and then clashing with Ben, but I can't see them ultimately making such a big change and having Obi Wan leave his post.

I don't think Obi Wan ever left Tatooine before ANH. I could see Maul maybe discovering who Luke is and heading there to take him as an apprentice and then clashing with Ben, but I can't see them ultimately making such a big change and having Obi Wan leave his post.

Leaving Tatooine to deal with a possible threat threat to Luke wouldn't be abandoning his post. However, I do think that we are close enough in Rebels to ANH that that any appearance by Kenobi should be on Tatooine and that any trips off world by Kenobi should only have been in the first few years of exile. This would better suit Kenobi as we see him in the first film.

Since Maul's "resurrection", I've always felt that it would HAVE to to be Obi-Wan that finishes him off - defeating Maul is how he earned his knighthood and I think it would be "cheating" (for lack of a better word) Kenobi out of his victory if someone else was to finally kill Maul.

However, after Maul's display of skill and power in the season finale, is he too powerful for Old Ben? Would Old Ben being able to defeat that kind of enemy be out of place with the duel in ANH?

Should Old Ben not feature in Rebels at all and leave the final fate of Maul with Vader (as I don't see Ezra or Kanan being able for Maul)?

I wasn't really surprised that they left Ahsoka's fate at worst ambiguous, Filoni has said that Disney will allow them to kill off good guys if really needed, but even then I don't think Disney would have been that keen on killing her off. TBH I think that if she had been male then there would have been more chance of them doing it, but as a female I couldn't see it happen. I don't mean that in a sexist "because she is a girl" way, but rather as a female she is very much in the model of the modern "Disney Princess".

Modern "Disney Princesses" are strong and confident, they can fight just as well as the guys, and if they get captured they don't sit around waiting for knights in shining armour to show up and save them, they save themselves. Ahsoka follows that model (as does Rey). So I can't see Disney being too keen on killing off one of their female rolemodel characters unless they really had to.

I do think that her story is finished with the Rebels group for the moment, but I don't necessarily think we will never see her again.

Leaving Tatooine to deal with a possible threat threat to Luke wouldn't be abandoning his post. However, I do think that we are close enough in Rebels to ANH that that any appearance by Kenobi should be on Tatooine and that any trips off world by Kenobi should only have been in the first few years of exile. This would better suit Kenobi as we see him in the first film.

Since Maul's "resurrection", I've always felt that it would HAVE to to be Obi-Wan that finishes him off - defeating Maul is how he earned his knighthood and I think it would be "cheating" (for lack of a better word) Kenobi out of his victory if someone else was to finally kill Maul.

However, after Maul's display of skill and power in the season finale, is he too powerful for Old Ben? Would Old Ben being able to defeat that kind of enemy be out of place with the duel in ANH?

Should Old Ben not feature in Rebels at all and leave the final fate of Maul with Vader (as I don't see Ezra or Kanan being able for Maul)?

I think you're perhaps wrong in saying that it should only be Obi Wan who defeats him. Darth Sidious is equally important to Maul's story, and there's a lot of material to mined there IMO. Its often overlooked, but Maul was basically raised by Sheev and for all intents and purposes is probably the closest thing he ever had to a father, and I think part of the reason he hates him so much is that betrayal and sense of paternal abandonment. I think there's a story to be told there that could close out Maul if Filoni and co so wish.

Palpatine killing Maul makes the most sense at this point. It has to be him or Vader imo. Maul's story has outgrown his feud with Obi-Wan. His nemesis is now the Sith. Vader replaced him, so that is a thing. Palpatine was his master.

Yeah, I'm thinking Vader will be the one to end Maul

Filoni's comments make me think that Vader and Maul is going to be less a thing going forward so we might not see that particular duel play out. But yeah, there's a lot of unfinished business with Palpatine. I think the characters shared history at this point is far too rich for them to avoid.

Whilst we're on the topic of the Sith, Filoni has said that the voice in the temple we heard at the end of the episode was a Sith from old canon and that he can't say her name until he gets the say so from the Story Group. Darth Traya, perhaps?

I really enjoyed season 2 and having Maul show up again was great. I even liked the Chopper-centric episode, and the one with Zeb and Callous being trapped together -which I thought was silly at first, but as the episode wore on I liked it a lot. The peek into Callous' past and expanding his character was great.

One thing stood out like a sore thumb in the last two episodes however -the helicopter lightsaber thing the Inquisitors kept doing. That was...really weird. It seemed so ridiculous, I didn't really understand what was happening. Like something out of Ducktales.

I guess they wanted to sell new toy designs or something. I'm just glad it they made a joke of it and brushed the characters away.

It was weird because they had never done it up to that point. It really came out of nowhere.

I liked this season quite a bit, but I think it could have used a bit more of a direction. I think the Inquisitors were underused and perhaps a few episodes here and there should have been pushed off in favour of building up the antagonists more. [BLACKOUT]Especially now that they're dead.[/BLACKOUT] I think that's something they really need to work on for season three. That and making Ezra and Zeb not as interesting as cinder blocks. :o

I really enjoyed season 2 and having Maul show up again was great. I even liked the Chopper-centric episode, and the one with Zeb and Callous being trapped together -which I thought was silly at first, but as the episode wore on I liked it a lot. The peek into Callous' past and expanding his character was great.

One thing stood out like a sore thumb in the last two episodes however -the helicopter lightsaber thing the Inquisitors kept doing. That was...really weird. It seemed so ridiculous, I didn't really understand what was happening. Like something out of Ducktales.

I watched it with a friend the other night and he couldn't stop laughing whenever they'd start flying away with their helicoptersabers.

The scene with the Eighth Brother's malfunction genuinely got a laugh out of me, almost as if the whole thing had been set up for that gag :funny:

I did like that, when Maul damaged the guy's saber and he just fell.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found it weirdly out of place!

I'm late to comment on the season finale, I saw it a few days ago and it was so amazing that I feel like it took time to ferment in my brain. :D

The Inquisitors using their Lightsabers to do a Mary Poppins was a strange choice but worked well enough, and I couldn't help but feel the somewhat organic feel of the Sith weapon was similar to the Starkiller base in TFA.

I thought they used Maul really well, his manipulation of Ezra was like an evil equivalent of Luke and Yoda, and the feel of it was a bit like Sleeping beauty. The scene where Kanan took out Maul was glorious, very Samurai, and the animation on it was some of the best the show has done.

The animation went up a notch again on Vader vs Ahsoka, from his badass entrance atop his TIE to the duel, everything was stunning. I thought the story of the duel was beautifully crafted and paced, the big moment where Ahsoka sliced Vader's mask was incredible, and I think Vader's cape had it's own animation department. :D

The final shot of Vader staggering from the ruins of the Sith Temple into the daylight with Ahsoka's fate left unknown, was perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"