Rebels Rebels Season 2: An Open Discussion - Part 1

Palpatine killing Maul makes the most sense at this point. It has to be him or Vader imo. Maul's story has outgrown his feud with Obi-Wan. His nemesis is now the Sith. Vader replaced him, so that is a thing. Palpatine was his master.

I don't agree that Maul's story has outgrown his feud with Obi-wan. It is because of Obi-wan that Darth Maul was replaced by Vader and as Maul pointed out, he will want revenge on "all of his enemies". I'm not sure if that means Maul somehow knows that Obi-wan is still alive but if it does, then Maul will view Obi-wan as one of the top 3 nemeses. Maul would want to kill Obi-wan (for cutting him in half) as much as he wants to kill PalpSidious (for killing his mother and brother, using him as a weapon, and leaving him to die) and Vader (for replacing him).

If the Inquisitors have been shown to be increasingly unreliable, I wonder what new tactic the Empire has in store for the Rebels.

The Inquisitors using their Lightsabers to do a Mary Poppins was a strange choice but worked well enough,

Mary Poppins :woot:

You know what really got me about that, in a hilarious way, was the little helicopter noise they made when flying around. I'm sure there will be some lengthy fan explanation on Wookiepedia about how The Inquisitors' used The Force to move their lightsabers or whatever but the whole thing was darn silly.

Couldn't they have just given them jet packs? :awesome:

I don't agree that Maul's story has outgrown his feud with Obi-wan. It is because of Obi-wan that Darth Maul was replaced by Vader and as Maul pointed out, he will want revenge on "all of his enemies". I'm not sure if that means Maul somehow knows that Obi-wan is still alive but if it does, then Maul will view Obi-wan as one of the top 3 nemeses. Maul would want to kill Obi-wan (for cutting him in half) as much as he wants to kill PalpSidious (for killing his mother and brother, using him as a weapon, and leaving him to die) and Vader (for replacing him).
Maul can't get revenge on Kenobi. He learned that on Mandalore, when he killed his love and still Obi-Wan wouldn't turn to the Dark Side. Maul lost.

If the Inquisitors have been shown to be increasingly unreliable, I wonder what new tactic the Empire has in store for the Rebels.

Well, they could always try Thrawn...

Maul can't get revenge on Kenobi. He learned that on Mandalore, when he killed his love and still Obi-Wan wouldn't turn to the Dark Side. Maul lost.

To play devil's advocate, you could easily have Pre-New Hope film where Maul arrive son Tatooine and realizes that he can hurt Kenobi and train a more powerful apprentice by targeting some moisture farmer Kenobi watches out for.

Anyone know where I can get a Jedi temple guard mask? I want to cosplay as blind Kanan next Con I go to.

To play devil's advocate, you could easily have Pre-New Hope film where Maul arrive son Tatooine and realizes that he can hurt Kenobi and train a more powerful apprentice by targeting some moisture farmer Kenobi watches out for.
While I guess you could do that, Maul's target is the Sith and Ezra.

Maul got his revenge when he killed Satine. As he said, his plans changed from killing Kenobi to making him suffer. If you look at the scene, right after he kills her and sits back on his throne he looks pretty damned pleased with himself and basically tells Savage it's better to let him "drown in his own misery". So there's really no reason for him to seek out Obi Wan anymore. I'm sure he still hates him, but Maul seems pretty content with how he got back at him whereas Sidious has done far worse to Maul and gotten away with it unhindered.

Maul came close to turning Obi-wan to the dark side when he killed Qui-Gon. PalpSidious may have done far worse to Maul but it was Obi-wan who ruined his life not only by cutting him in half, but he also turned Maul's own master against him. Maul would want to make Obi-wan pay for all the crap that has happened to him and while killing Satine gave Maul pleasure, as godisawesome pointed out, Maul can still get revenge on Obi-wan by preying on a certain farmboy who likes to go to Toschi station to pick up some power converters. Maul would want to rob Obi-wan of his only hope of bringing back the Jedi Order by converting Luke as his new apprentice and killing Obi-wan would be an added bonus for Maul.

Palpatine killing Maul makes the most sense at this point. It has to be him or Vader imo. Maul's story has outgrown his feud with Obi-Wan. His nemesis is now the Sith. Vader replaced him, so that is a thing. Palpatine was his master.

Something tells me Sam Witwer would have a ball doing this interaction.

Would Ian McDiarmid ever return to voice Palpatine? Rebels has already hit heavy by bringing back James Earl Jones and Frank Oz

I don't think he would. If they could do that, I think they would have had him back by now. The switch to Witwer is kind of perfect, so it think it is rather unnecessary.

It'd be a jarring shift to suddenly have McDiarmid's voice coming from the character, I think. Especially when we're so used to hearing Witwer's version the last 5-8 years.

Witwer didn't start doing the voice until Rebels I believe. The late, great Ian Abercrombie did his voice for the first four seasons of TCW, and was great imo. Then it was taken over by Tim Curry, who wasn't very good imo.

Witwer didn't start doing the voice until Rebels I believe. The late, great Ian Abercrombie did his voice for the first four seasons of TCW, and was great imo. Then it was taken over by Tim Curry, who wasn't very good imo.

Actually, in one form or another Witwer's been doing Palpatine's voice since 2008. But you're right, he didn't do Clone Wars (though he did do other voices). He's been Palpatine all through Rebels, so I think we agree that it'd be too jarring to go switching it up now.

How many times has Palpatine talked on Rebels. Once? I am serious, outside of the special scene, I can't remember hearing him. It was perfect though.

I think you're perhaps wrong in saying that it should only be Obi Wan who defeats him. Darth Sidious is equally important to Maul's story, and there's a lot of material to mined there IMO. Its often overlooked, but Maul was basically raised by Sheev and for all intents and purposes is probably the closest thing he ever had to a father, and I think part of the reason he hates him so much is that betrayal and sense of paternal abandonment. I think there's a story to be told there that could close out Maul if Filoni and co so wish.

I didn't actually mean it "should only" be Kenobi who ends Maul, however, I do see why you got that from my post - I didn't explain myself fully.

It isn't that it has to Kenobi or I'll storm out and slam the door :cwink:

You are right though about Palpatine. Their confrontation in The Lawless was just fantastic on so many levels and while I would love to see Kenobi claim the glory, Palpatine (or Vader) make a very fitting way for Maul to go should that be the plan.

I did like that, when Maul damaged the guy's saber and he just fell.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found it weirdly out of place!

I think it was Kanan that that did the damage there.

No, I think he'd happily go for Kenobi if he could.

Remember he said he was using the temple on "all" his enemies.

No, I think he'd happily go for Kenobi if he could.

Remember he said he was using the temple on "all" his enemies.
I said his story has out grown Kenobi, and it is true. His goal is the Sith. Same for Obi-Wan whose goals are Luke and Vader.

I don't really mind who kills Maul in the end, but I do think having him find out about Luke somehow would be pretty neat. I could see it upsetting a lot of people though, especially because it wouldn't make a lot of sense that Maul can find out and Vader can't. The idea of Obi Wan and Maul facing off on the sand is a cool one though.

I also really like that he's just 'Maul' now. I kind of hope he sticks around for a good spell. Maybe he can team up with Ventress, we haven't seen her in Rebels yet, have we?

How many times has Palpatine talked on Rebels. Once? I am serious, outside of the special scene, I can't remember hearing him. It was perfect though.

Fair point. I thought he'd appeared more often, but I could very well be having Clone Wars flashbacks.

I don't really mind who kills Maul in the end, but I do think having him find out about Luke somehow would be pretty neat. I could see it upsetting a lot of people though, especially because it wouldn't make a lot of sense that Maul can find out and Vader can't. The idea of Obi Wan and Maul facing off on the sand is a cool one though.

I also really like that he's just 'Maul' now. I kind of hope he sticks around for a good spell. Maybe he can team up with Ventress, we haven't seen her in Rebels yet, have we?

Fair point. I thought he'd appeared more often, but I could very well be having Clone Wars flashbacks.

Ventress [BLACKOUT]died before the end of the Clone Wars.[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
Ventress [BLACKOUT]died before the end of the Clone Wars.[/BLACKOUT]

Say whaaaaaaat

When did that happen? If it happened in the show I'm going to go buy a new brain, because I do not remember that!

[blackout]She did? I never watched the final season :O[/blackout]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"