• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Senator Sues God

But what about those who don't have enough money. They work two jobs or more to try and make ends meet and yet they are still poor. Do those words ("In God We Trust") mean anything?

You have said that those words should, at least subconsciously, affect those who are rich as a reminder for the "responsible use of their wealth". How do you think those words should affect the poor?

hahaha, God works in mysterious ways . . .

What is there to contribute when Wil and Bella have said it all? Fan of redundancy, eh?

No redundant would be co-signing something someone else said out of intellectual sloth.

But you stooped lower. Not that expected more from a brown-noser.

That's not nice. :csad:

obviously.

but childish insults are a sign of personal insecurity and a weak argument. :csad:

Otherwise they would let their would logic speak for itself. :o

It's easier to slander someone than actually defeat their argument with actual reason.

obviously.

but childish insults are a sign of personal insecurity and a weak argument. :csad:

Otherwise they would let their would logic speak for itself. :o

It's easier to slander someone than actually defeat their argument with actual reason.

Well you do so much brown nosing I'd have to take a fecal sample from the tip of your nose to find a specific DNA match.

:dry:

b_f, I would like to know your thought on the question I had posted above. Here it is again:

But what about those who don't have enough money. They work two jobs or more to try and make ends meet and yet they are still poor. Do those words ("In God We Trust") mean anything?

You have said that those words should, at least subconsciously, affect those who are rich as a reminder for the "responsible use of their wealth". How do you think those words should affect the poor?

Well you do so much brown nosing I'd have to take a fecal sample from the tip of your nose to find a specific DNA match.
Ope, I guess blind_fury's insecure and can't support his argument.
:whatever:

Dude, there is no "argument". You are saying things that are ridiculous.
When you see a homeless, hungry child, the thing that drives you to give them some money to buy food, is that you have more resources than they do and you feel sympathy for them.
The dollar bill could say "Mecha-Lekka Hi Mekka Chani hO!" and you'd still want to help, OR, if you're not a generous person, you might not.

The idea of "God", or threat of his "wrath" is not necessary to spark philanthropy, and we KNOW why it was put on money.
It was Voodoo, to keep America Strong and inside God's bubble of Defense, and to make sure future generations knew we were a "Christian nation". It has nothing to do with trying to encourage generosity. :o

The motto In God We Trust was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the American Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout Christians throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize God on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Reverend M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridley Township, Pennsylvania, and read:
Dear Sir: You are about to submit your annual report to the Congress respecting the affairs of the national finances.
One fact touching our currency has hitherto been seriously overlooked. I mean the recognition of the Almighty God in some form on our coins.
You are probably a Christian. What if our Republic were not shattered beyond reconstruction? Would not the antiquaries of succeeding centuries rightly reason from our past that we were a heathen nation? What I propose is that instead of the goddess of liberty we shall have next inside the 13 stars a ring inscribed with the words PERPETUAL UNION; within the ring the allseeing eye, crowned with a halo; beneath this eye the American flag, bearing in its field stars equal to the number of the States united; in the folds of the bars the words GOD, LIBERTY, LAW.
This would make a beautiful coin, to which no possible citizen could object. This would relieve us from the ignominy of heathenism. This would place us openly under the Divine protection we have personally claimed. From my heart I have felt our national shame in disowning God as not the least of our present national disasters.

To you first I address a subject that must be agitated. [1]
As a result, Secretary Chase instructed James Pollock, Director of the Mint at Philadelphia, to prepare a motto, in a letter dated November 20, 1861:
Dear Sir: No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God should be declared on our national coins.
You will cause a device to be prepared without unnecessary delay with a motto expressing in the fewest and tersest words possible this national recognition.

It's meant to express a belief and trust in God that we DON'T all share as a nation. That means it's bulls***. And it costs tax dollars to print it there.

I prefer to avoid the insults entirely and just have thoughtful debates instead of pissing contest.

But if you attack me I respond in kind.
Dude, when your mom says you're fat, and your best friend says you're fat, and your wife says you're fat, and a stranger on the street says you're fat, and your doctor says you're fat, it's time to stop and accept the possibility that you might be fat.

You are incapable of thoughtful debate, people destroy your arguments and you won't accept the truth. That's when the insults come out, and have you noticed that you don't see the same people insulting jag, or Erzengel, or Maxwell's Demon, etc.?

That's because they ARE logical, and their beliefs are NOT preposterous, and they don't daily exhibit hypocritical and foolish behaviour in their posts.

"Mecha-Lekka Hi Mekka Chani hO!" Hmm... that has a nice sound to it and I am suddenly inspired to make more donations. :up:

b_f not answering my question. :( I guess that means he sincerely believes that God is the ONLY source of moral guidance and that men are inherently evil that without faith in God, there is no good in man.

Wil, I think b_f's argument is that "sympathy" comes from believing in God and therefore, if you don't believe, that feeling of sympathy can't come by itself. Is my assumption very wrong, b_f?

Interesting question. Not sure what those words printed on money can instill in the poor. Varies person to person.

But I do think God will forgive the wino for wasting his few bucks sooner than Paris Hilton for squandering hundreds of millions.

Matthew 19:24

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Do you understand that God doesn't exist. Some people believe he does, but we all have to use the money.

I wonder, if the people who are saying it's no big deal and isn't hurting anyone, would say the same if our Money said, "We Don't Believe In God."

I wonder if staunch Christians would say, "Meh, don't be a baby. Just leave it."

lol
I think not.

Do you understand that God doesn't exist. Some people believe he does, but we all have to use the money.

I wonder, if the people who are saying it's no big deal and isn't hurting anyone, would say the same if our Money said, "We Don't Believe In God."

I wonder if staunch Christians would say, "Meh, don't be a baby. Just leave it."

lol
I think not.
You don't have to use paper or coin money...it is called a debit card, credit card, checkbook, etc...

Look I can do it too:whatever: "Do you understand God does exist. Some people believe he doesn't, but we all still use the money."
It isn't about if it was one way would these people be mad or vice versa, it is about history and about the principles and beliefs this country was founded upon. Having the word 'God' on paper money that is not necessary for one's life since there are alternatives, it therefore can't impose anything on anybody. I don't look at my five dollar bill and break down into prayer because the word God appears on it. Why don't we also take all the president's names and faces off of money since they were all theologians.

He/She/It does exist in my world and I don't care what anyone says! :mad:

I have said it's no big deal that those words are on the bills and would still say it's no big deal if "We Don't Believe in God" were to replace the current words. It makes no difference to me because it doesn't change the value of the money. It's still going to be $10 no matter what words are on it, as long as the numbers remain the same.

Btw, why must God be referred to as a "He"? This makes me think that religion-based God is created by men who wants to keep women in line. *suspicious*

Its getting more heated in here than the actual Christianity thread.

And once more you all need to take a breath and recognize the commonality between you -
Whoever posted something about Leprechauns had me thinking.Little children "believe" in Santa and the Tooth Fairy.Christian Adults "believe" in that non-corporeal omnipotent entity,and a place like "heaven".The Atheist adults "believe" in equally intangible things like "freedom" and "equality".All of them phantoms-I wouldn't categorize any of these "beliefs" as idiotic.Rather, idealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"