Seth MacFarlane's "A Millions Ways to Die in the West"

When you say that MacFarlane is sexist or racist, how so? I haven't really seen much of his stuff from Family Guy onward. Supposedly he wrote some on Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab. Does MacFarlane reference the racism/sexism present in our society, or does he unintentionally come across as being racist and sexist?

I still cant believe George Lucas likes Family Guy, i hope its a lie he said on camera, but that would suck more than Jar Jar if its true.

I am sure Mr Lucas meant by liking the show he was referring to only liking the first few seasons, like any reasonable person

Considering I didn't even find the trailers funny, it doesn't surprise me that this sucks.

When you say that MacFarlane is sexist or racist, how so? I haven't really seen much of his stuff from Family Guy onward. Supposedly he wrote some on Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab. Does MacFarlane reference the racism/sexism present in our society, or does he unintentionally come across as being racist and sexist?

When i speak of his sexism i mostly talk about him speaking in public, while his shows have some cases of that, in public he keeps sending sexist joke after sexist joke, the Oscars had plenty of that. I saw a little of his speech at Harvard, and he once again used and reused these types of jokes.

I don't think he used any racist one, wich is probably because a racist joke will get more negative reception from the public than a sexist one much of the time, just a theory though, not trying to defend an issue like sexism by comparing it to another or saying that racism is more promoted, both are equal problems in society that Seth MacFarlane doesn't really know how to talk about.

I don't think MacFarlane is sexist or racist he just does it for the shock value. In this movie though most of it does come of as offensive more than funny.

I hope Cosmos gets to continue. (go, Dr. Tyson!) Clearly Mr. McFarlane has "another side", but his choice to double-down (triple-down?) on relentless juvenilia/scatology is puzzling, to me. I don't know. I remember Kevin Smith years ago was kind of in the same boat, post-Clerks. He was the Gen X wunderkind of film, and could tell stories and converse on things beyond the banal, but his "bread and butter" were the "d___ and f___ jokes."

I'll admit up front that the "frat boy" school of humor has always been hit-and-miss with me, but anyway...

I hope Cosmos gets to continue. (go, Dr. Tyson!) Clearly Mr. McFarlane has "another side", but his choice to double-down (triple-down?) on relentless juvenilia/scatology is puzzling, to me. I don't know. I remember Kevin Smith years ago was kind of in the same boat, post-Clerks. He was the Gen X wunderkind of film, and could tell stories and converse on things beyond the banal, but his "bread and butter" were the "d___ and f___ jokes."

I'll admit up front that the "frat boy" school of humor has always been hit-and-miss with me, but anyway...

I hope it gets sucked to a vortex. I love astronomy and cosmology but Tyson feels like the astronomer version of MacFarlane. The old Cosmos was great and Sagan in another league than Tyson. A new version seems logical , but i wished the people behind and in front of it were different, they manage to make even knowledge *****ie

I thought it was created and written by the same people as the first one. It was my understanding that all of MacFarlane's involvement was "You guys should do another Cosmos series. Here take my money and do it."

Anyways, I think I'll skip this movie until DVD. I wanted to see it but the more and more I see of it I lose interest. Especially since the TV spot spoiled the cameo.

I hope it gets sucked to a vortex. I love astronomy and cosmology but Tyson feels like the astronomer version of MacFarlane. The old Cosmos was great and Sagan in another league than Tyson. A new version seems logical , but i wished the people behind and in front of it were different, they manage to make even knowledge *****ie

Tyson rocks.

I haven't seen 'West' yet, but I think Ted benefited from not having Seth as the main (live action) lead. That, and Ted's core is pretty sentimental.

It's a bit disappointing that this apparently sucks.

It has a great cast.

All under-utilised it takes a lot to make Liam Neeson suck but this movie sure did it, MacFarlane thought after Ted it was time to make himself a movie star..........:doh:

All offense to those here... A lot of y'all sound like 15 year olds when they let their inner 14 year old out. Sophomoric elitism to counter sophomoric humor? Sorry cats and kittens... Sophomoric humor is going to win than fight ten times out of ten.

When i speak of his sexism i mostly talk about him speaking in public, while his shows have some cases of that, in public he keeps sending sexist joke after sexist joke, the Oscars had plenty of that. I saw a little of his speech at Harvard, and he once again used and reused these types of jokes.

I don't think he used any racist one, wich is probably because a racist joke will get more negative reception from the public than a sexist one much of the time, just a theory though, not trying to defend an issue like sexism by comparing it to another or saying that racism is more promoted, both are equal problems in society that Seth MacFarlane doesn't really know how to talk about.

You do realize that (most) comedians don't believe a word they say on stage/public and that it is all just an act? There are of course lines one shouldn't cross depending on the audience, but not a single thing Seth has ever done has made me think he could be a sexist or a racist in real life when not making money.

You do realize that (most) comedians don't believe a word they say on stage/public and that it is all just an act? There are of course lines one shouldn't cross depending on the audience, but not a single thing Seth has ever done has made me think he could be a sexist or a racist in real life when not making money.
I know about that, but everything acts can also speak a lot of words, i don't believe he's racist in real life, but from all i see, it seems to me like he can be a little sexist, as a tumblr comment said, his jokes in the Oscars were pretty much: "Ahah Women, right guys?".

I know jokes are usually enhancements of reality, but they can also give you an idea of what a certain person is like, which is why Homer was a parody of lazy dads, and many other comedians took the concept but missed the point of it being a parody, thinking that being dumb and mean is funny enough.

All offense to those here... A lot of y'all sound like 15 year olds when they let their inner 14 year old out. Sophomoric elitism to counter sophomoric humor? Sorry cats and kittens... Sophomoric humor is going to win than fight ten times out of ten.

Heaven forbid I am not amused by fart and poop jokes as well as sexual innuendos, guess I am an elitist. One question my good man have you seen the movie? Since you are willing to stereotype people who have and don't like it.

Does Seth do a lot of Botox? His face never wrinkles.

Does Seth do a lot of Botox? His face never wrinkles.

The worst case of male Hollywood botox is Bryan Singer.

Bryan_Singer.2776_cropped.jpg

Doesn't even look human. That image is from 2009.

Heaven forbid I am not amused by fart and poop jokes as well as sexual innuendos, guess I am an elitist. One question my good man have you seen the movie? Since you are willing to stereotype people who have and don't like it.

Sophomoric elitism isn't even in the same league as real elitism. You guys all need to up your game to even measure up to that level.

No. I haven't seen the film. If I did... Well whether I liked it or not I'd use "suck" less in my review. Oh... I'd also come across less like Seth had slept with my sister, killed my dad and ran off with my dog. You know... It's just entertainment? These sort of displays are why "fanboy" has the connotations it does.

Sophomoric elitism isn't even in the same league as real elitism. You guys all need to up your game to even measure up to that level.

No. I haven't seen the film. If I did... Well whether I liked it or not I'd use "suck" less in my review. Oh... I'd also come across less like Seth had slept with my sister, killed my dad and ran off with my dog. You know... It's just entertainment? These sort of displays are why "fanboy" has the connotations it does.

That wasn't a review or an attempt at one but thanks anyway, and in regards to the MacFarlane hate all I did was state I didn't like him so guessing that dramatisation of hate isn't intended for me. Either way my dislike for the man didn't play a part in how I would rate the movie. If it was a good movie that excelled in it's genre I would say so but since this fails on many levels and is a poor movie I labelled it as such.

I hope it isn't successful as that will lead to more of his projects getting the go ahead. He needs to fade into obscurity, and I am hearing crap like family guy now estimated at two billion. If he didn't have an ego before he certainly does now. This is going to get some razzies and deservedly so.

C'mon Cochise...

No... Better and more accurate is "Lighten up, Francis."

Here is my prediction... In the future as you age you'll realize that this streak of seeming to take a performer (especially a comedic one) so seriously as to react like this will have faded and you'll realize how silly these reactions can come across to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"