The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Shailene Woodley IS Mary Jane Watson!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, had Maggie been in Batman Begins, or Katie in TDK, then it would've had more of an emotional impact. Although they were meant to be the same character, being played by two different actresses and seeming somewhat different each time meant that the Rachel who died in TDK seemed too new a character and with no time for the audience to feel emotionally invested in her. Even if Katie was unbelievable as a lawyer, simply having her back as a familiar face would now make a difference when she died.

Maggie dying was too much like one of these sacrificial lamb Bond girls in a Bond movie where they haven't done very much yet up until that point when they die relatively early on. You don't really care too much and kind of expect it anyway.

No. The reason her death had no impact was because the character was made very unlikeable in TDK and after the things she did leading to the point, her death almost felt like her getting her comeuppance.

Showing a beaten Batman standing in the debri,The whole Harvey breaking down in the hospital and 'She was gonna wait for me' and all

Everything except for the bold goes hand in hand to what I said: the impact was made to what Joker had done to Batman and Gotham by destroying the assistant DA(Rachel) and blowing the white knight halfway to hell. The emotional impact to the audience was very little and that's why the impact felt more powerful with everything Joker had done at that moment than just killing Rachel.

Spider-man forum. This is a spider-man forum. Let's not blow..things out of proportion.

Spider-man forum. This is a spider-man forum.Let's not blow..things out of proportion.

Whatever you say man, just dont pull the pin on your coat full of grenades!! :hoboj:

So can we expect to see MJ learn Peteys secret in the next movie? I know some people were upset by the number of people who learned Spider-Mans identity. I hope she doesnt find out until much much later.

I was just reading a bunch of Sundance reviews, and The Spectacular Now seems to be getting almost universal praise, as is Shailene's performance. It's from the same director who did Smashed, which I liked quite a bit, so I'll definitely be wanting to check it out whenever it gets released. :up:

I was just reading a bunch of Sundance reviews, and The Spectacular Now seems to be getting almost universal praise, as is Shailene's performance. It's from the same director who did Smashed, which I liked quite a bit, so I'll definitely be wanting to check it out whenever it gets released. :up:

Me too. Never got to see Smashed since it was a limited release, but I definitely want to see it when it comes out on DVD. As for TSN, it's getting released this summer nationwide.

Everything except for the bold goes hand in hand to what I said: the impact was made to what Joker had done to Batman and Gotham by destroying the assistant DA(Rachel) and blowing the white knight halfway to hell. The emotional impact to the audience was very little and that's why the impact felt more powerful with everything Joker had done at that moment than just killing Rachel.
Well the way Harvey Dent cried in the hospital after looking at the half burned coin made me think it was supposed to have a similar impact on the audience,except it didnt

Whatever the case,Nolan missed an opportunity there

I wouldn't say Nolan missed anything. The audience just didn't care about Rachel Dawes, someone who was never in the comics, or gave the viewer any real time to enjoy the character, especially with Katie Holme's awful performance as the character in BB. No one could have immediately enjoyed Rachel in just one film.

The scene with Harvey weeping over Rachel with the screams silenced was still amazing and is still heavily effective today. However, it would have had an even more monumental impact if people have a **** about her character.

Maggie was even worse than Katie. Maggie's Rachel to me is almost in the level of crap that Kirsten's MJ is in. Though not for the way she was written, but for the way she acted. Uuugh!

Ehh, I like Maggie's Rachel. Seemed more strong-willed than Katie's Rachel as Maggie's version stood up to freaking Joker...that's saying something. And personally, I find Maggie G. attractive.

*waits for certain replies towards me*

And if anything about how the way Dent acted in the hospital...I feel the reaction the audience would feel is towards him losing the woman he loved, and still not about Rachel actually dying.

Maggie was even worse than Katie. Maggie's Rachel to me is almost in the level of crap that Kirsten's MJ is in. Though not for the way she was written, but for the way she acted. Uuugh!

I would say crappier

Katie as Rachel or Rachel's story altogether being crappier? If you mean the latter, then I don't see it as at least Rachel, with Katie playing her or Maggie, she was far more proactive than Mary Jane ever was.

I would say Katie Holmes was fine,her chemistry with Bale was Okay,She was cute aswell

Maggie Gyllenhaal imo was plain terrible,in every sense.I also dont like the lead actors being changed so that could play a part
If Katie Holmes was brought back,I think the audience would have enojoyed the part and could have felt more for Rachel Dawes,so her death could have had more emotional impact on the audience(Which is why said it was a missed opportunity),her not being actual CB character wouldnt have mattered so much since a minority of the GA actually read comics and Bruce Wayne doesnt have a long going love interest(MJ or Lois Lane type)

Her story was fine in both the movies(Apart from the 'when the city no longer needs Batman' thingy),just think Maggie made her unlikeable

It wasn't really anyone's fault except for Katie though that she didn't return for TDK(or Tom Cruise's), so I don't think anyone can get real upset over that; it's not a situation like Terrence Howard or Edward Norton, lol.

And speaking on being a CB character...I honestly think it would matter. Imo, the GA probably asked questions after they viewed BB to see if Rachel Dawes is a character in the comics. I know that was one of the first things my dad asked me when he saw BB.

In BB, Rachel seemed like she wanted to be with Bruce in some regard ( I personally don't think Katie was really terrible at all). In TDK, that Rachel just didn't seem interested in Bruce at all. So her death didn't really seem that huge b/c we as the audience never really got a sense that she wanted to be with Bruce in TDK (imo). But I don't think Nolan missed anything, I just think he showed us a love interest who was able to move on from the main Hero.

Another small interview with Shailene Woodley about TASM2 from IndieWire:

It does feel surreal, but it does feel just like, “Yeah we’re doing another movie, it’s going to be so much fun!” But then I see a billboard for something Spider-Man or walk through the mall and see a Spider-Man pajama set, and that’s when it trips me out. But yeah, it’s exciting. I just feel endlessly grateful. I’ve always been the girl who said I would never want to do big blockbuster movies. Even though “Spider-Man” is a big blockbuster, it doesn’t feel like it because everyone involved is so grounded and down to earth. It feels like we’re working on an indie film.

source: http://www.indiewire.com/article/th...ner&utm_medium=feed&page=2#articleHeaderPanel

I had no problem with how Rachel was written. But Maggie made her extremely unlikeable just by her acting. Her "trying-desperately-to-look-like-a-tough-girl-though-I-just-look-annoying" look made me want to puke. There's something extremely unlikeable about Maggie to me.

This thread lacks new pics :)
here are some recent ones from the Sundance film festival

I wouldn't say Nolan missed anything. The audience just didn't care about Rachel Dawes, someone who was never in the comics, or gave the viewer any real time to enjoy the character, especially with Katie Holme's awful performance as the character in BB. No one could have immediately enjoyed Rachel in just one film.

I for one loved Maggie Gyllenhaal's Rachel

I know, she is not in the comics, but I don't really care since I felt she was a likable character in TDK

Last edited:
Well I can't look at her legs since the one pic of her full body and they're covered! :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"