Skyfall vs. TDKR

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Batmansvoice, Nov 1, 2012.

1. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I honestly burst out laughing, but it was in a positive way. I don't know if that begins to make sense but I swear it's true. My friend and I were just cracking up because we've always enjoyed Bats' over-the-top interrogation methods in these movies. Ad honestly by that point in the film, it was cathartic to get some Bat-fury after all Bane had put Bruce and his city through. It tickled me.

2. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

The point is parodies are made for every movie, for great scenes that are immensely popular. Like say the interrogation room scene, or Joker's mob meeting etc. But they are not intended as mocking of these scenes, or even of the characters.

You can count on one hand how many parodies of those great scenes were made. Parodies taking the piss specifically out of Batman's voice or Cottiard's death scene on the other hand are plentiful.

I'm the same about Batman's voice. I concede there have been some scenes where it got too much, such as that trigger scene or when he's talking to Joker in their final scene together. But overall I like Bale's Batman voice and don't find it as funny as some think it is. The comics even say Batman speaks in a growly, hoarse, grating kind of voice;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I acknowledge it is found laughable by most people and is taken the piss out of all the time. Same with Cottiard's death. It's just the way it is.

Really, because I was around for Begins release and I never remember any heavy criticism of his voice when that came out. No parodies. Nothing. That didn't start until TDK. Nolan obviously didn't give a damn because he used the same growly TDK voice in TDKR.

Nearly everyone here was convinced he wouldn't after all the complaints about in TDK.

3. BatLobsterRises

I agree with everything you just said Joker. I'm a huge fan of Bale's portrayal overall, but I'd be lying if he hasn't had some LOL-worthy deliveries in this trilogy. Not a deal breaker by any means though, and I get the intention behind the growl and mostly like the voice.

4. TheBat812

TheBat812 Well-Known Member

There was a ton on Batman Begins as well, although not as much because Batfans liked the difference from what we'd heard before, and BB wasn't a cultural phenomenon in an age full of parodies and memes... For the record I love Bale's batvoice, I'm just saying you're incredibly selective according to your own bias. I honestly don't even understand what you're trying to argue about anymore because everyone seems to be agreeing with each other, haha. Like Anno, I don't laugh while watching that scene in context of the film, but it's pretty hilarious to watch just the death by itself.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. The Joker

Can I see some links then to a few samples from this ton of Begins parodies?

6. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Yah, but most of the examples you made, they actually use the same certain scenes, etc. Very different with the Bane parodies though, especially Bane playing Slender Men.

I actually didn't mind Batman's voice in his final scene with Joker, but the scene with Bane...just outright laughable. Honestly, the funniest thing in the trilogy, imo, that isn't meant to be funny.

7. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Agreed on Bale's voice. For the most part it was fine. But in Begins it was perfect.
    Part of the reason was because he changed it depending on who he was talking to. The way he talked to Rachel and Gordon wasn't the same way he talked to Flass.

In TDK and TDKR, it was all growl all the time.

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Ehhhh no I've never seen any parodies of Begins Bat voice. Nope. Not one.

Batman's voice and Bane's voice get loads hahaha. Cottiard's head flop death too. Always getting ripped on.

9. BatLobsterRises

Yeah Begins was all over the place. I love his "rattle the cages" voice the most. I remember "It's what I DOOOO that defines me" used to get made fun of a lot on here back when I was merely a lurker :ninja:. It's important to remember that YouTube didn't even exist when Begins came out...almost like a whole 'nother universe.

TDK and TDKR went full death-metal with the voice, haha, but it still worked in most cases and not every scene is as over the top as the parodies would have people think.

10. TheBat812

There are a few on youtube, but like I said, that was simply not an age of mass mass parodies and memes. But I specifically remember people wondering what the hell Bale's Bat-growl was all about and finding it hilarious. The "It's what I do that defines me" line still makes me laugh. Anyways, we're losing the point and once again arguing just for the sake of it, so let's let this go.

11. The Joker

Of course, because they're the scenes where the Batman voice sounded so bad so they're the ones they use. With Cottiard's death it only happened in one scene and in one way. Really limits how many ways you can parody it.

This is what I get when I look it up on YouTube and none of them are piss takes of the Batman Begins voice; http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1699.6j4j1j5-1.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.AmtBqYKafxs

As you wish.

12. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

YouTube was launched in February 2005.

13. BatLobsterRises

False.

Read Wikipedia more closely next time if you're trying to just prove me wrong for the sake of it. :oldrazz:

14. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Now we're talking about the creation of YouTube.

Awesome.

15. TheBat812

I had quite a few moments of this throughout the series - laughter out of sheer satisfaction at how they nailed the core of the characters in a new and unexpected way. Joker especially. I literally couldn't stop smiling the whole movie.

16. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQXAC9IVRw

Want a tissue for that egg on your face? :fhm:

17. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Yup. I had a lot of laughs like that throughout the whole trilogy as well. One of the biggest ones was when Bane chokes a guy to death without breaking eye contact with his partner.

18. BatLobsterRises

LOL this is pointless. Yes Youtube existed in Beta form, my point is it wasn't even close to what it became at that point, it was in its infancy. Hence my "it was a different time" comment.

It's just interesting to note how much things have changed in the internet world since then, that is all...and nothing more.

Moving on :fhm:

19. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

The internet world was still a land of videos being posted. Didn't have to be just on YT. College Humor's been about since 1999 taking the mick out of movies.

YT was up and around when Begins came out, and they had three years since it's release and up to TDK to make parody vids of Begins voice but they never did.

So yah we should move on.

20. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

After viewing TDKR 4 times (three times in IMAX) and viewing Skyfall in IMAX (twice). Comparing the two films is like comparing apples to peaches, but I will give it a go.

Love both films of course, but TDKR is a better overall film. The multiple layers and emotion that the TDKR brings trounces the layers and emotion that Skyfall brings to the table.

Love Bardems role as Silva. However, seeing how his characters actions (getting caught by MI6) are pretty close to what the Joker pulled off in TDK, is a negative when grading the two films.

Glad that it seems like the Broccolis and Wilson are keeping Mendes, Logan, Deakins and Craig for the next Bond film. It's a wise move.

21. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

I really like this moment. It conveyed just how easily Bane can deal out death and think nothing of it.

22. Omegabat

Omegabat Well-Known Member

No the Bane/Talia relationship was nothing like the Renard/Elektra relationship.Bane's relationship with Talia was more like his relationship with Scandal Savage and furthermore Bane joining Ra's,having a relationship with Talia,leading the LOA and acquiring a nuclear reactor was done in the comics years before The World is Not Enough was released.

23. Omegabat

And Silva was just an overgrown mommas boy,c'mon it's not fair to dismiss either performance with such ridiculously simple arguments.

I thought both were great but Bane was more memorable and I found Silva's computer gimmick to be very lacking.Die Hard did that much more convincingly,here Silva's hacking felt more like a plot device than an actual skill.

24. Omegabat

:doh: Scarecrow was'nt even a member of the League or aware of their true plans.

On topic,it was hard for me to decide initially but now I think TDKR solidly beats out Skyfall.

Skyfall had virtually no replay value for me aside from the final act,Bond going out of action felt even more unbelievable than Bruce Wayne doing the same and ultimately the plot and the villain were fairly simplistic.Silva as a character is only as good as Bardems performance,shallow character really.

25. CapedCrusader14

It was a close call for me but Rises won in the end. Both are brilliant films however.