Solo Solo: A User Review Thread

Discussion in 'Stand-Alone Movies' started by DarthSkywalker, May 24, 2018.

1. j0ke5ta Registered

I kept thinking it’d be Jabba or Boba to set up Hans rivalry after ruining the plans with Boba or putting him on Jabba’s radar, or a Hutt in general. Never expected who they gave us.

2. BlackFox Ace

This was a fairly enjoyable little romp, a little rough around the edges and not likely to go down as a top tier Star Wars flick but it was fun and entertaining enough while on screen. The characters were all well done and everyone fitted their roll well enough and Chewy was especially great and the guy who played Han had the charisma and charm to just about pull it off.

The story was ok, nothing too engaging and the action was decent enough just nothing that was memorable or itching to make me want to watch it again, kind of like it was stuck in third gear, good but nothing great also the soundtrack was very lacking for a SW film which was surprising. Still it was fun for the most part.

7/10

#52 BlackFox, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. Aximili86 Registered

4. MeenieWK Screw Loose

This is a great review my friend

I fully agree,

5. RocketsNutz Registered

6. Reaver027 Registered

It is a fun movie and i would like to see more of the story in the future.
    Better than the prequels but not as good as the originals, R1 or TFA. Miles ahead of TLJ.
    The movie is a bit predicatable and got the most annyong character in Star Wars history (yes Jar Jar was dethroned in this one) but it is a ride you won't regret.
    Shame this movie will feel the full backlash from TLJ because it does not deserve it.

6.5/10

7. Aximili86 Registered

Exactly, Rockets.

It's no more of a jump/difference than Ewan-Obi to Alec-Obi. Less, if anything. The core of the guy is absolutely there, all the important stuff.

Pretty sure some of my voice inflections & mannerisms might have been a little different at 21 than 32, too. Time.

I just feel like if the Alden thing bugs you, Ewan has to too. Ewan was hardly some straight-up Alec impression.

8. MaceB Registered

I think Alden did a good job all things considered. Watching the movie, I realized that the thing I missed most was Harrison Ford's voice. His voice has this brash, over confident quality to it, whereas Alden's is pretty much like a young man's. I don't blame him. I just missed Harrison Ford's voice.

9. Grootster Dancing Tree

Y'know, I didn't love this movie and I have a ton of complaints about it, but having thought on it for several days, I think I'm starting to form a soft spot for it. I'm not entirely sure why. I kind of enjoy it in the same way that I enjoyed the old Star Wars young adult novels. Entirely pointless and kind of dumb, but still harmless and entertaining.

I probably won't even see it again in theaters, but I can't bring myself to hate it. I didn't like it as a whole, but it had a lot of individual moments I liked. I'm kind of looking forward to watching individual scenes on YouTube when it comes on DVD.

10. danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Seeing it again tonight, looking forward to it!

11. Broseph44 Witness Me

Glad you enjoyed it the first time and are looking forward to another Danyose :word:

12. Broseph44 Witness Me

You sound so disappointed. Like you want to hate all these new Star Wars films, but this one you “can’t bring yourself to hate it”. What a burden that must be :o

13. Grootster Dancing Tree

Huh? I don't want to hate this film. Leaving the theater, I actually was wishing I could love it. There were a lot of things I enjoyed, but there were too many things that I didn't, and it just didn't work for me as a whole.

14. Aximili86 Registered

It gets old, huh?

15. Asharad Registered

Same. It just seemed to drag so much, and in the end it was just OK. I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed.

16. TheVileOne Registered

The Kessel Run sequence is fantastic IMO, the best sequence in the whole movie. However, the third act and climax doesn't surpass it. The ending was sorta anti-climactic and boring in comparison. Not much happened.

#66 TheVileOne, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  17. samsnee Ok

Ignore him. He loves everything and insults people who don’t.

18. batman1 Registered

It wasn't special. Like SW always has been. And that wasn't Han. It was fun but if it wasn't Han a SW movie most may not have even went to see it. This is all interesting.

19. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

Pretty good. I'd rank it slightly above the sequel series movies so far, but not matching up to Rogue One or the OT.

20. Schlosser85 Registered

I thought this was completely superfluous and didn't really have anything memorable in it.

Ehrenreich didn't say "Han Solo" to me in pics and trailers and didn't convert me in the movie either.

It was easier to accept Glover as Lando.

Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke were okay I guess. Paul Bettany was just kind of "there".

The movie feels like it goes down this obligatory checklist, and also like it's stretching Han's backstory which we got the gist of just fine forty years ago out into a very rote and uninspired movie when there's not enough backstory to need a movie.

It's just this unneeded superfluous thing that exists.

21. Karelia Always Hold On To Smallville...

I loved it. It reminded me why I love Star Wars. Because Star Wars is fun. Favorite Disney Star Wars movie!

8/10

22. MeenieWK Screw Loose

This ... absolutely

:ilv:

23. DACrowe Registered

I was really caught off guard by this film. The marketing did absolutely nothing for me. It looked generic. I thought it'd be the Ant-Man of the Star Wars franchise, except you know, worse because someone else was playing Han Solo other than Harrison Ford.

Well I still miss Ford, but I really liked this movie! It is not flavorless. It has a nice pulpy melodramatic feel that reminds me a bit more of the crime movies from the same era Lucas pulled from for his war aesthetic in the originals: 1940s melodramas. More Maltese Falcon than Dam Busters, it was just a really fun experience from Lawrence Kasdan. I also really underestimated Ron Howard.

Visually the film is a bit bland, but the tone and adventure is not. And Donald Glover kills it as Lando. He is aces. And, to my happy surprise, so is Emilia Clarke as the pseudo-femme fatale. As a Game of Thrones fan, I'm happy to see her do something else that was really satisfying. (Alden is only serviceable.)

The droid worked and it was just a light rollicking fun. While I don't think there's a lot of there, there, in the sense it is too light to be one of the great Star Wars movies, it is still a lot more fun than many blockbusters. And I'm kind of miffed critics I trust ripped this to shreds after giving many bland blockbusters (ahem, also from Disney) a pass.

A good solid adventure film.

[blackout]Also loved how there was no villain in the traditional sense, even though in the end HAN FIRES FIRST.[/blackout]

8.5/10.

24. danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Took my folks to see it tonight. The sound went out during the train heist scene, and stayed out all the way through the Dryden Vos intro (people were running out to tell the staff).

Finally it paused, then it looked like they were trying to wind it back - it freeze-framed on a shot of Chewie during the train heist for a bit, then shut off completely for about 15 minutes when finally we were told that the projector just wasn't working and the rest of the movie was cancelled.

They gave us each 2 free passes, and we used three of them to get tickets for another showing on Monday. I've already seen it, but I was bummed my folks didn't get to see the whole thing. They were enjoying it so far - my mom said it felt "very 80s".

We also had a couple of clowns who started to doing Chewie sounds to make up for the missing dialogue when the sound was out, then shadow puppets when the movie shut off, then started Instagram live-ing the whole thing like we were all trapped in a well. It was so hilarious. :funny:

It was pretty much sold out, the audience was pretty pissed that the rest of the show was cancelled, and a bunch of them were exchanging passes for a later show. I know it's having a rough time at the box office this weekend, but...there's that.

25. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Well, I hope they get to see it and I am glad they were enjoying what they had seen. :woot:

And I love a good crowd that has a little fun in situations like that. We had a weird sound moment with the Train Heist during our showing as well. I was so worried for a second.