Solo Solo: A User Review Thread

Well, I hope they get to see it and I am glad they were enjoying what they had seen. :woot:

And I love a good crowd that has a little fun in situations like that. We had a weird sound moment with the Train Heist during our showing as well. I was so worried for a second.

I saw Avengers when I was in Nashville a few weeks ago and got evacuated because there was a shooting in the mall, so annoying as this was, it wasn't nearly as stressful.

That group was hilarious. The video they were shooting looked so funny..."The movie has now been off for 15 minutes and morale is quickly dropping..." :funny:

I had picked up the Lando Funko before the movie and it was in my bag, so I took it out and they filmed it, "Wo now have a celebrity sighting here!" :lmao:

He's an early-20s nobody though, "less confident than Ford's" fits.

What I meant is he’s too self-conscious, like he’s playing a role; it didn’t feel natural. That type of performance would’ve worked for the Lord/Miller version, but not for the more earnest and straightforward version that Howard made. His awkwardness and humor felt forced.

And there’s something about his voice; a little too nasally, and not deep enough like Ford’s. I only bring this up because Glover was so perfect at emulating Williams, so there’s an unfortunate comparison to be made there.

By the way, was anybody able to spot what might’ve been Lord/Miller’s stuff?

Last edited:
I saw Avengers when I was in Nashville a few weeks ago and got evacuated because there was a shooting in the mall, so annoying as this was, it wasn't nearly as stressful.

That group was hilarious. The video they were shooting looked so funny..."The movie has now been off for 15 minutes and morale is quickly dropping..." :funny:

I had picked up the Lando Funko before the movie and it was in my bag, so I took it out and they filmed it, "Wo now have a celebrity sighting here!" :lmao:
Wow, that's insane. Yeah, I imagine it can't compare.

That is fantastic. They sound great. :lmao:

Wow, that's insane. Yeah, I imagine it can't compare.

That is fantastic. They sound great. :lmao:

It was scary. I still have the 3D glasses, they rushed us out before I could turn them in. It was a fight in the mall, a guy shot and killed the other guy. Took about 30 minutes before they found him, so they treated it as an active shooter situation until they caught him and confirmed he was the only shooter (people said they saw someone else with a gun).

So tonight's episode was a little less stressful, annoying as it was. And the guys next to us were hilarious. We saw Han and Qira reunite, but there was no sound, so one of them said, "She's back! But I think she might be a prostitute now!" :funny:

I enjoyed this. It wasn't deep, but it didn't need to be. Just a fun Indiana Jones-like adventure. There was certainly some clunkiness to it in how it moved from each of its episodic set pieces, and at times it felt like a checklist of references and nods to Han's iconography ([BLACKOUT]giving a backstory to the last name Solo was a groaner[/BLACKOUT]). Having said that, most of the references were weaved into the script well, culminating into a strong sense of world building. That cameo was pretty weird though, and a little egregious.

Also, I don't know if it was just the projection in my theater, but the picture was very dark, muddy. There was a bit of a struggle to make out everything that was in the frame throughout my entire screening.

I enjoyed this. It wasn't deep, but it didn't need to be. Just a fun Indiana Jones-like adventure. There was certainly some clunkiness to it in how it moved from each of its episodic set pieces, and at times it felt like a checklist of references and nods to Han's iconography ([BLACKOUT]giving a backstory to the last name Solo was a groaner[/BLACKOUT]). Having said that, most of the references were weaved into the script well, culminating into a strong sense of world building. That cameo was pretty weird though, and a little egregious.

Also, I don't know if it was just the projection in my theater, but the picture was very dark, muddy. There was a bit of a struggle to make out everything that was in the frame throughout my entire screening.
You're not wrong about how muddy it looked. I saw it twice and on both occasions it looked bad and muddy. And that includes on IMAX.

I actually liked this movie but yeah, the picture was dark and muddy. I hope the fans give this a chance at least.

This movie was a breezy, mostly fun, sometimes clunky popcorn experience. I saw it at a drive-in theater with the wife last night, which was a great environment to see a movie like this. It was a perfect summer-y night with some beer and popcorn.

My positives:

-Everything with Chewie
-Glover as Lando
-Favreau as Rio Durant (I adored the way he said Whoo-kie)
-Woody Harrleson makes anything more watchable
-Some good action, and the Falcon looked great
-Powell's score
-THAT cameo and walking out with my mind racing about the implications for future films, including IX

Unfortunately, and here's my big negative- I really wasn't feeling Alden too much. I really went in wanting to give him a chance. He had a few fleeting moments, but overall it just didn't feel like Han to me. And I don't just mean it didn't feel like Ford, but IMO there are too many sections of this film where Han was written and performed as this starry eyed kid who just wants to be a scoundrel. I understand we're meant to be seeing a younger, more fresh-faced Han but it just didn't ultimately work for me. The characterization was too inconsistent, and basically was exactly what I feared a Han Solo prequel might be when I first heard about the film. I understand the arc they were trying to take him on-- and I think they got him where he needed to be by the end. I just really didn't need to see that arc.

Luckily, the movie had enough other fun stuff going on that it was very watchable. I'm not walking away in disgust in anything. But yeah, I mean as a film I think overall it was pretty average. Which I guess considering the production turmoil, could be seen as a minor victory that they got something decently watchable out of it. Unfortunately, it just didn't quite do enough for me to walk out saying, "I was SO wrong for not wanting a Han Solo movie!". Unfortunately I ended up feeling pretty justified in my initial skepticism. But I'm still very interested in where those reveals at the end will go. And at the very least, I don't see a need for another exhaustive debate about this movie. Something light was probably needed at this point.

Also, they better give us that damn Obi-Wan movie ASAP!

Last edited:
Saw it last night. Meh. It was a movie I watched. Fairly generic and boring overall. The droid annoyed me.

This movie was a breezy, mostly fun, sometimes clunky popcorn experience. I saw it at a drive-in theater with the wife last night, which was a great environment to see a movie like this. It was a perfect summer-y night with some beer and popcorn.

My positives:

-Everything with Chewie
-Glover as Lando
-Favreau as Rio Durant (I adored the way he saod Whoo-kie)
-Woody Harrleson makes anything more watchable
-Some good action, and the Falcon looked great
-Powell's score
-THAT cameo and walking out with my mind racing about the implications for future films, including IX

Unfortunately, and here's my big negative- I really wasn't feeling Alden too much. I really went in wanting to give him a chance. He had a few fleeting moments, but overall it just didn't feel like Han to me. And I don't just mean it didn't feel like Ford, but IMO there are too many sections of this film where Han was written and performed as this starry eyed kid who just wants to be a scounrel. I understand we're meant to be seeing a younger, more fresh-faced Han but it just didn't ultimately work for me. The characterization too inconsistent, and basically was exactly what I feared a Han Solo prequel might be when I first heard about the film. I understand the arc they were trying to take him on-- and I think they got him where he needed to be by the end. I just really didn't need to see that arc.

Luckily, the movie had enough other fun stuff going on that it was very watchable. I'm not walking away in disgust in anything. But yeah, I mean as a film I think overall it was pretty average. Which I guess considering the production turmoil, could be seen as a minor victory that they got something decently watchable out of it. Unfortunately, it just didn't quite do enough for me to walk out saying, "I was SO wrong for not wanting a Han Solo movie!". Unfortunately I ended up feeling pretty justified in my initial skepticism. But I'm still very interested in where those reveals at the end will go. And at the very least, I don't see a need for another exhaustive debate about this movie. Something light was probably needed at this point.

Also, they better give us that damn Obi-Wan movie ASAP!
I agree with your feelings on Alden. He did OK, but he didn't wow me either. Even as a young Han, it's hard for me to see him as Han.

I really liked this. In fact, I dare say I enjoyed this more than any other Disney-era SW film to date. It wasn't perfect (no SW movie is). But the performances were good, the action was cool, it was fun and engaging, and it did some things that I didn't expect.

And it certainly was a breath of fresh air after The Last Dumpster Fire.

I really liked this. In fact, I dare say I enjoyed this more than any other Disney-era SW film to date. It wasn't perfect (no SW movie is). But the performances were good, the action was cool, it was fun and engaging, and it did some things that I didn't expect.

I swear I'm not throwing shade at you at all but I think the people who hate TLJ most are the perfect target of Solo. If they skip this because of TLJ then they're missing out big.

I swear I'm not throwing shade at you at all but I think the people who hate TLJ most are the perfect target of Solo. If they skip this because of TLJ then they're missing out big.

I agree with this. Solo might have been a safe movie, and unless you count the somewhat annoying droid there's not much about the movie to be upset about. There's no "my childhood is destroyed" whereas in TLJ they did a lot of stuff that many fans had big problems with, including myself.

TLJ is just not a very good movie in-general. Take the name "Star Wars" out of it and I'd still think that. The problems go far beyond the "it ruined my childhood" type of complaints imo.

I watched through the whole series with some friends who hadn't seen any of them before and The Last Jedi was by far one of their favorites. Just saying....

I'm interested to see what they think of Solo.

TLJ is just not a very good movie in-general. Take the name "Star Wars" out of it and I'd still think that. The problems go far beyond the "it ruined my childhood" type of complaints imo.

What I think is in general TLJ is “let the past die” while Solo is nostalgic. I know a popular blogger in Tumblr who praised TLJ to the sky but complained about Solo “check bucket-list of all fan-service moments in Han’s life” and that cameo made her INFURIATING (capital hers not mine).

Saw it last night. Meh. It was a movie I watched. Fairly generic and boring overall. The droid annoyed me.

Yeah the droid was just an annoyance without adding much. Can't compare to the likes of R2! I liked the film otherwise. Not one I'd necessarily rewatch though.

Agreed, this is a movie I won't rewatch in the theater. Maybe not again on blu ray either, lol! This is not the movie that will give me my Star Wars fix.

What I think is in general TLJ is “let the past die” while Solo is nostalgic. I know a popular blogger in Tumblr who praised TLJ to the sky but complained about Solo “check bucket-list of all fan-service moments in Han’s life” and that cameo made her INFURIATING (capital hers not mine).

See, that's just not am accurate dichotomy to draw. The saga films can move the story forward without us just pretending like the past characters never happened. This underworld storyline is something we've never seen from Star Wars before. Isn't that a good thing?

I just saw this and found it completely average. I didn't hate it or dislike anything in particular. It was inoffensive but also unnecessary. I went in almost completely blind and had hoped that Emilia's character would be his sister and introduce a family dynamic we haven't see before. So I was very disappointed she turned out to be a generic love interest. It's impossible to invest in her relationship with Han because we know he ends up with Leia. I would have found him having a sister a lot more interesting.

Lando was great. I would happily watch a movie/tv series of Lando's adventures and his wondrous capes of many colours.

Also, that Enfys Nest actress might be one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. She was painfully wooden.

Agree! Favorite Star Wars Disney movie to date!

So does Solo: A Star Wars Story provide a great back story for Han Solo,one of Sci-Fi's iconic characters or is it just a highly watchable,space adventure....im leaning towards the latter.

With all the behind the scenes drama during this movies production ,i expected to walk into a jumbled mess,but for the most part i had a good time with this one.
Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo and Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian do their best to fill the huge iconic shoes of these legendary characters.They're not bad i would say lukewarm,im glad they really didnt try to impersonate,Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams.
Emilia Clarke as Qi'ra provided enough ambiguous charm,and i bought into her relationship with Solo.
Woody Harrelson as Tobias Beckett was great as Solo's semi mentor.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge as L3-37: Lando's droid companion and navigator had a couple of standout,charming and humorous scenes.
Paul Bettany as Dryden Vos goes to the just enough mark with the villainy
The film is visually stunning,and loaded with interesting characters and creatures.

Other characters screen time,who i immediately liked was all too brief.
Solo's past is just slightly touched on here and there,i had to listen closely because i may have missed the quick remarks about his life.
Some of the things that shaped his life and influenced him are displayed,including his bond with Chewbacca.
The film meanders and stalls here and there and i started to feel it's 2 hour and 15 minute running time.

I enjoyed this film for what it was a great adventure with some Star Wars seasoning,serviceable,but definitely wasnt blown away by it.
If Producer Kathleen Kennedy and Disney are going to continue to make these individual Star Wars character films with just glancing shots at the core of the character,like a filler episode of Star Wars Rebels,i think fans are going to catch on quick,and look elsewhere for their Star Wars fix.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

I posted my thoughts in the spoiler thread, but I'll repost them here:

There's a lot I like about this movie - particularly the world building. I loved the idea of seeing Imperial rule and corruption in Corellia (even if it's not my favorite scene). I loved the tone of the movie overall. I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a very good job as well as Donald Glover. Chewie's dynamic with Han was great. I also loved the Marauder character (whose name I'm forgetting). There's some great callbacks and uses of the prequels (including the obvious one that left a murmur throughout the audience). The loved the droid discrimination thing. To me, it feels like there's a throughline now from the Clone Wars to A New Hope where we can see how people soured on droids.

Now the plot is fairly predictable. I don't think the twists necessarily surprised me. I was on the fence on Qi'ra's actions and it turns out both answers are right. I didn't quite expect the Marauders turning the way they did, but I don't think I went into this movie to have my mind blown. If anything, the predictability was a nice thing to have after The Last Jedi. This movie set things up in a certain way and rewarded you by giving you those things.

Overall, it wasn't a perfect film by far, but all the things that bothered me were little things possibly undercutting it as opposed to any major shortcomings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"