Solo: A User Review Thread

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by DarthSkywalker, May 24, 2018.

1. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Amelia Clarke actually surprised me. I’m not a big fan of hers but I actually liked her character in this.

2. Elayis

Elayis Registered

Yeah, she's been phoning it in on GoT for so long I forgot she could act.

3. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Same here, thought it got a bit slow on occasions but overall I was smiling throughout and really enjoyed it. I would see a sequel with Jabba in a heartbeat. Shame it looks like we won't get that.

Yeah I thought she was great. Really enjoyed her character and the twists and turns she went through. And also of course, she looked :ilv:.

4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

To each their own. I found her character just sort of generic and boring and found their chemistry lacking.

5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

This is why Kathleen Kennedy needs to be fired. Sorry this mess is on her hands, this will be the worst performing Star Wars film ever, and while the audience reviews are a little better than TLJ, 65% is not very good, not for such an iconic character. This has a lower audience score than TASM 2, and considering the financial failure that film was, and this one is about to be, that should tell you where this franchise is heading under Kennedy's direction.

Kennedy is supposed to be the "Kevin Feige" of the Star Wars franchise, but she has badly mismanaged the property, and not had a firm control over the direction of the scripts and the characters.

I don't know if Lord and Miller's film would have been better than what we ended up with, but the whole firing of the directors was a mess and while Ron Howard is a great director you can just tell this was the same kind of jumbled mess that Justice League was, after firing Snyder and having Whedon come in.

6. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

No, it's pretty clearly Howard's film. I myself couldn't tell the difference between the reshoots and what was originally shot, probably because Howard reshot 70% of it. This isn't a JL situation where it was distractingly obvious what was added in. What Kennedy and Lucasfilm should have done from the beginning was not hire Lord and Miller, or locked in the stipulations of doing the movie to them more firmly. There was evidently a breakdown of communication about what the movie was from the get go.

7. Spider-Fan

I think Howard did a fine job at attempting to salvage the movie. While JL turned into a dumpster fire, Solo was at least...okay.

8. Ozbridge

Ozbridge Registered

For anyone who thinks Kathleen Kennedy needs to be fired, Disney CEO’s Twitter handler is RobertIger.

9. DACrowe

DACrowe Registered

I liked Solo better than you, but yeah comparing it to JL is just failing to pump the hate brakes.

Justice League is an incoherent mess at times where you can literally see the seams, from Whedon dialogue and TV framing jarringly not sitting well next to Snyder cinematography, to the seam that came in the shape of an invisible mustache.

Honestly, if we didn't know the behind the scenes drama around Solo, you couldn't tell it was a troubled production on the screen. At the very least it is competent, and I would argue enjoyable.

10. DACrowe

DACrowe Registered

P.S. DC fandom was a lot more proactive in defending Snyder after one misfire (MoS) and then a second that is considered one of the worst superhero movies of all time (BvS), and many still yearn for a Snyder Cut.

Kathleen Kennedy makes one box office disappointment that is still pretty well reviewed and better received by fandom than the last SW movie, and folks are calling off with her head. I wonder if it'd be the same if her name was Kevin.

11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

Solo is a really fun movie.

12. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Yep, totally agree with this. Olin is a far superior movie to JL and covers it’s troubled production up much better in the final film.

13. Spider-Fan

Agreed. I have several things I didn't like about Solo overall, but I do think the transition was seemless. I couldn't tell you who did what scenes, while JL it is plain as day. Solo also works as a coherent film. Quality of the story set aside, the story makes logical sense and it progresses naturally. It doesn't feel like massive chunks of story were cut, etc.

While Solo for me is a meh overall movie and not one I am likely to revisit, I struggle to call it "bad." I just think it was mostly flavorless (outside of some visual elements I enjoyed). Solo had a dumpster fire production history for sure, but at least the final product looked professional. JL cannot make that claim.

14. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

I found Solo to be far less 'jokey' & funny than I was expecting going into it, and a whole lot darker than I imagined it would be, I agree when it's said 'you couldn't see the join' from Lord/Miller to Howard. For that, Howard must take a lot of credit for.

I enjoyed it WAY more than I was expecting too.

15. Tony Stark

I think Solo was a dumpster fire, but to each his own I guess. It's certainly no where near the quality of what Deadpool 2 and Infinity War were, and the box office and audience ratings are pretty much demonstrating that.

16. Tony Stark

Sorry but Han Solo is my favorite SW character. I should have loved this movie, instead I came out extremely disappointed, and as I said the box office and audience ratings are showing what a pile this was. Star Wars movies should not be box office flops. This movie is barely going to clear 400M WW, so in that regard it makes Justice League look like a huge success.

17. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

Given that the word is that they reshot 80% of the film it would actually be very surprising if you could see a significant difference anywhere. If they were willing to take the huge economic bump to reshoot that much they obviously were willing to scrap everything that didn't work like they wanted.

18. Delwin

Delwin Registered

It is a generic action movie - few nice action scenes and twists. Nothing fancy but still better than TLJ...

19. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

I really enjoyed it, it's an entertaining origin movie that serves the character of Han Solo well and brings to live action some of the events that shape the swashbuckling scoundrel we meet in A New hope.

The film also introduces a number of quality new characters into the Star Wars universe, Beckett is a charasmatic world weary outlaw who helps shape some of Han's world view, while Rio and L3 both add to the cool roster of aliens/Droids respectively, and Enfys Nest goes from [BLACKOUT]pirate to freedom fighter[/BLACKOUT] in one of the films most interesting and surprising turns.

My favourite of the new characters though was Qi'Ra, I might be in love! :hrt: lol. Emilia Clarke imbues her with a whip smart charm, cunning, heart, grit and sexiness, her chemistry with Han is on point and it's not hard to believe he was determined to make his way back to her, or that she worked her way out of Corellia on her own.

The worm thing Han worked for looked like the Mom of the Trash compactor creature in A New Hope!

The opening speeder chase on Corellia is a nostalgic throwback, a sci fi ode to a Bruce Springsteen song, with the rebellious young pilot and his equally spirited girlfriend looking to make their way off the dead end industrial planet, the chase sequence is really well shot and exhilarating while also giving a bit of tour of the work being done on Corellia in regards to making ships for the Empire as we see parts of a Star Destroyer being hauled up by huge cranes, great stuff!.

The first meeting between Han and Chewie is fantastic, I wasn't expecting the fight but it was done in a humourous way and sets up their great dynamic from the off. The fist meeting between Han and Lando is more like what I was expecting but it's also really well done and Donald Glover knocks it out of the park.

Alden Ehrenreich is fine as Han, he doesn't try to be Harrison Ford but has enough charm in the role to do the job as a less cynical Han, and he plays well off Chewie and Lando in his key dynamics.

The train heist sequence is incredible, instantly one of my favourite action set pieces from a Galaxy, far, far away, it's just a stunning visual spectacle filled with cool moments, stakes and a big pay-off.

Dryden Vos is a suitably menacing villain but the Kessel run heist is less exiciting and runs a bit long, it has some good moments though and the finale is a bit like an oldschool con movie with the various double crosses and a bit of badasseery from Qi'Ra. :D

[BLACKOUT]Darth Maul cameo was cool. [/BLACKOUT]

The ending itself it on point from Han outmanouvering Lando for the Falcon and him and Chewie lifting off in his newly won Falcon to go see a gangster on Tattoine about a new job, I wonder who that could be? :hmm :D

8/10

20. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Agree with everything in your review Hunter except regarding the kessel run, which I loved and thought could have been longer.

Totally agree on everything else though, especially Qi’ra/Emilia

21. sirmarkus

sirmarkus Registered

22. Galactus123

Galactus123 Registered

I just saw it and it was ok. It was entertaining and Han's actor was better than I expected. The movie was great from the beginning to the card game with Lando. It was less interesting after that but I still enjoyed it. I'm glad that Chewbacca had a big role. They should have used him more in The Last Jedi.

23. Timebomb

Timebomb Registered

Just saw it. I'm a little late to the party but I really liked it. Thought it was a fun entertaining film and to be honest, I don't understand the low box office. I get all the possible factors but I still don't understand it. Damn fun film.

24. Lantern Venom

Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I saw Solo yesterday, and it replaced Rogue One as the weakest Star Wars theatrical release. Much like Rogue One, it felt like a lesser story that would have been better served as a made-for-Disney Channel event. There certainly shouldn't be a direct sequel to it. That being said, it still had some enjoyable moments and memorable performances. It was a pleasant experience, just a notch below the main story films.

25. RetrogradeOrbit

RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

Totally agree with this...
    In fact I think it took away some of the bad taste in my brain that TLJ left there.