The Force Awakens Star Wars VII Director? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter maybe it's just me but your avvy is not loading for me. Everyone elses is. Just FYI.

I wasn't criticising the guy. It's just beyond obvious by this point that he's not interested in fantasy. If he does one I'll eat Werner Herzog's shoe.

Ya well you very well might. He's never said that he has not wanted to do it, so saying a guy can't do it when he :

A. Has never said he did not want to do fantasy. Hell with his Super 8 he made movies with his Star Wars figures.
B. Never has tried it yet.

Of course he could suck, or blow people away with it.

EDIT: I never said one could not critique his work, I actually was not very fond of TDKR that much. But I think he could do things differently in his work.

Remember, Nolan's favorite director is Ridley Scott, who did Legend. I'm sure Nolan could do fantasy if he really wanted.

Maybe it's something on Marv and I's end?

Sorry , Batman's "fantasy" is a far away in a lot of aspects to Star Wars. You say he does not want to change his style? You have no idea of that and are just claiming that. Sorry he based his Batman off of legitimate sources that treated Batman the same way. Batman has had many different versions in it's comic property, from really gritty/realistic crime stuff, to very fantasy based. So saying that he did not stay true to the material is not true at all.

I just tire of this Nolan can't do anything different. Maybe he can't, but I still think saying that with 100% certainty is just wrong. I have a feeling for Star Wars he could. But again I'd still prefer someone else.

One question would of course be whether he is interested in trying other styles, if you look at his choices over the last decade outside of Batman he seems to favour a certain type of material.

I also wonder if as an action director he can bring the spectacle for this type of film. I think unlike many directors who come from the indie world he actually wants to shoot action sequences and I can see a steady improvement from BB through to TDKR, but it would still be a question mark for me.

Hunter maybe it's just me but your avvy is not loading for me. Everyone elses is. Just FYI.

Hmm that is weird, it's just a still from ESB.

Odd it's still not loading. Oh well lol. It must be something with my computer.

As for Nolan, I don't think he has ever really had the chance to do something else, he got roped in to the Bamtan trilogy after doing the first, and he did some of his other projects he's wanted to do. I mean Spielberg did more family adventure films for a while before he did serious stuff like The Color Purple or Schindler's List. So I think there can be a transition if they so chose. Could he do it I dunno?

Also some camera work/action scenes can be in part the director/cinematographer. Maybe with someone else that is not Wally, maybe Chris would be able to do even more or stretch to new ideas/thinking. I think he has continued to get better, the Bane/Batman fight int he sewer really showed to me he has gotten much better at action. I actually loved the hell out of that scene.

I just think Chris is such a wonderful Filmmaker, he could transcend to new uncharted areas for him. But maybe we will find out, and judge then, or maybe he will never do films such as that.

Best choice still to me is Brad Bird, the man has such talent, and would nail it on many levels. Next would be Alfonso, or Duncan Jones for me.

JJ won't do this, he's done Star Trek, and has already confirmed I believe that he's not doing it.Gore, eh, he's good, but some of his films have been not so great. And Jon, eh he can be hit and miss too. I just really don't see him fitting that well.

I mean of course any of these guys could do justice with Michael's script writing (if it is as good as his other works we have nothing to worry about ). But I think some just stand out better on this.
Gores weakness was more or less The POTC writers. Gore is best at making a big film seem small and not so pressure problematic.

SHH reports Brad Bird is out.

I wonder if any directors will want to touch Star Wars? There's such a huge risk of being hated by so many fans everywhere. . .

Yep. A ton of pressure and Disney may want a puppet director for the film.

The gig screams Joe Johnstons to lose basically.

Not a big fan of Johnstons work overall.

I think some are just jumping to conclusions that they want a puppet director, for most big films, they are even to a point ones like Nolan, just some are given a little more freedom.

And there is no where it has said Joe, people are just saying this. With so little info I think some should not jump to such vast conclusions.

They are going the Marvel route. Unknown/unexpected directors.

My money is on Colin Trevorrow. He has met Lucas, and Lucas likes is work.

Yes but also Disney will likely want someone who has some big picture experiance simply because The Prequel films got such a ripping that really Lucas opinion has seem lesser then in lets say the 80s.

Yes but also Disney will likely want someone who has some big picture experiance simply because The Prequel films got such a ripping that really Lucas opinion has seem lesser then in lets say the 80s.

Disney/Marvel picked the Russo brothers of You, Me, and Dupree fame for Captain America 2. It doesn't have to be someone with big picture experience. And while Lucas may not be a good director it doesn't mean he doesn't have a good eye for talent. The man has some good ideas. He just isn't good in the director's chair.

Lets be clear I liked the prequel films fine and was entertained greatly. Hayden was the weak link for me because he made Vader seem less cool.
Lucas i felt got too much a beat down by fans. But if ask me Lucas best place was Effects and Story Telling part and thats where he should be used the most.
I think whom ever likely will be someone all parties will be happy with.
Joss Whedon would likely fall out of his chair if offered the Movie.

EXCLUSIVE: David Fincher is in discussions for a deal at New Regency, which would further the auteur-minded company's goal of producing more adult fare and put the in-demand helmer into his first pact with a studio or shingle.

If a deal closes, it would mark a reunion with New Regency founder Arnon Milchan, an executive producer on Fincher's 1999 pic "Fight Club." Though the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" director has not yet chosen his next movie project, he's been actively tinkering with Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea," courting frequent collaborator Brad Pitt for a role and waiting under a three-month hold while the Mouse House decides whether to move forward.

Ads by Google

Reps for New Regency would not confirm whether the deal involved movies, television or both. Milchan revived its TV efforts last year, and in June hired former Syfy exec Andrew Plotkin as exec VP of television; current projects include a first-look deal with Israel's ADD and medical drama thriller "Beat the Reaper" in development with HBO and Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way banner.

Fincher has recently veered into television, having executive produced and directed the pilot for "House of Cards," the Kevin Spacey-starring drama that Netflix premieres Feb. 1.

A deal would make sense for both Fincher and Regency, which has committed to making edgier, more adult fare since Milchan reshuffled the executive ranks last year. The company behind last year's "What's Your Number?," "Monte Carlo" and "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son" has already become more director-minded, boarding projects including Steve McQueen's "12 Years a Slave," Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" and Allen Hughes' "Broken City."

Sony's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" grossed more than $230 million worldwide. Fincher's involvement with the sequel has been a lingering question in Hollywood while Steve Zaillian works out the script.

Regency next has "Broken City," which 20th Century Fox will release in January.

Click here for more film news on Variety.com.

Oh man, the Brad Bird news. I think millions of fanboy voices just cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

so is brad bird the hype's director version of fassbender,hardy,gosling when it comes to fan cast/directing lolol

you guys have been saying he should direct everything from

star wars
fantastic four
justice league
etc.

LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts